UNC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
SupraVln180

Silver

UNC Class of 2014

Post by SupraVln180 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:29 pm

I am not 100 percent sure I will be attending, but there is a strong possibility. Will anyone else probably be attending in the Fall?

DeeCee

Silver

Re: UNC Class of 2014

Post by DeeCee » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:00 am

I'm excited about UNC! :D

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:05 am

Lol it would only be me and you posting in here. I know it is early to think about this, but what have you heard the best places to live are? I have to get a place furnished b/c I can't move all my shit from NY down to NC.

lvsmithmarsh

Bronze

Post by lvsmithmarsh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:25 am

I haven't committed yet, but there's a very good chance I'll be here in the fall.

From a browse on Cragislist, there are lots of small houses/duplexes in the residential areas surrounding the campus that look ideal. I'll be looking for a roommate and a house/duplex where I can have pets part-time.

qed2011

New

Post by qed2011 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:30 am

I'm still far from committing yet either, but it's definitely still in consideration!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:38 am

I could definitely end up at UNC as well. I am leaning towards a different direction right now, but $$ will play a factor in where I ultimately end up and how much I like the area of the schools.

I visited the school already so I won't be going to any ASD. But if you have questions on what my visit was like, feel free to ask. And it was perfect weather when I visited in Nov. 70 degrees and sunny!

qed2011

New

Post by qed2011 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 am

What are people's goals for attending UNC? BigLaw is out, but if you're paying in-state you shouldn't have a debt load that necessitates that, which is great. So---PI? Gov't? Charlotte?

Any particular interests in types of law (tax, criminal, health)?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:51 am

qed2011 wrote:What are people's goals for attending UNC? BigLaw is out, but if you're paying in-state you shouldn't have a debt load that necessitates that, which is great. So---PI? Gov't? Charlotte?

Government. Unfortunately I am out of state though, and it is nearly impossible to get residency at NC...

Also I have no clue how I got in because I have a mediocre LSAT score, and I am not a URM.

qed2011

New

Post by qed2011 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:54 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
qed2011 wrote:What are people's goals for attending UNC? BigLaw is out, but if you're paying in-state you shouldn't have a debt load that necessitates that, which is great. So---PI? Gov't? Charlotte?

Government. Unfortunately I am out of state though, and it is nearly impossible to get residency at NC...

Also I have no clue how I got in because I have a mediocre LSAT score, and I am not a URM.

Well, I'm sure you did something right. Congrats!
Also, what geographic markets are people hoping to practice in? I'm assuming mostly NC/the South/maybe Midatlantic, but I'm especially interested in this question for out-of-staters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:03 pm

qed2011 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Also, what geographic markets are people hoping to practice in? I'm assuming mostly NC/the South/maybe Midatlantic, but I'm especially interested in this question for out-of-staters.

I am from NYC, but my numbers make it difficult to attend a high ranked NY school, I would probably be stuck at Cardozo or Brooklyn or some mediocre school. I figure my NY BigLaw chances are the same at UNC as at those 2 schools (Top 5-10%). But if I don't land that I can still get a great job in Raleigh or Charlotte, which I would be happy with. On the other hand, if I am not top of my class at one of the Tier 2 NY schools, I won't have a job at all. Plus I feel like I need to get out of NYC to focus on my studies. I have alot of history in that city and it can be distracting.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:59 pm

qed2011 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Also, what geographic markets are people hoping to practice in? I'm assuming mostly NC/the South/maybe Midatlantic, but I'm especially interested in this question for out-of-
staters.
Thanks!

As for work location preference, it is really wherever I can get a job...I am not that picky on location, but would prefer NC or DC if I went to UNC.

Also I have a lot of ties to CA so I probably would be able to get a job back in CA even if I left.

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:43 pm

PDL wrote:Fairly certain I'll be attending Carolina in the fall, and finished up undergrad there in 2009. Anyone got any questions about Chapel Hill in general, feel free to ask.
Where are the best places to live, housing wise?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:24 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
PDL wrote:Fairly certain I'll be attending Carolina in the fall, and finished up undergrad there in 2009. Anyone got any questions about Chapel Hill in general, feel free to ask.
I would like to know this as well, furnished apartments in particular.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:19 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
I would like to know this as well, furnished apartments in particular.
According to the TLS profile of UNC it says Chapel Ridge is a good option for furnished apartments, but I want to know if this is in fact true or not from students who go to UNC.

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:24 pm

i did UG at UNC. chapel ridge/chapel view are nice places to live. some grad students, some undergraduates, some other folks. they are indeed furnished, a little far from campus though (relative to other housing options). it's about a 10 minute drive, and on several (free) buslines. now i just need to get in...

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kpillai

New

Post by kpillai » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Hey I'm a current 2L at UNC. If anyone needs to sublet a one-bedroom apartment in Chapel Hill (five minute walk from Franklin Street and campus) for this summer, message me!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:26 pm

kpillai wrote:Hey I'm a current 2L at UNC. If anyone needs to sublet a one-bedroom apartment in Chapel Hill (five minute walk from Franklin Street and campus) for this summer, message me!
what development do you live in?

kpillai

New

Post by kpillai » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:22 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
kpillai wrote:Hey I'm a current 2L at UNC. If anyone needs to sublet a one-bedroom apartment in Chapel Hill (five minute walk from Franklin Street and campus) for this summer, message me!

It's called Oak Terrace. Not sure if you are familiar with Chapel Hill. It is downtown on MLK right across from the fire station, literally two blocks from the main strip of Franklin.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:15 am

kpillai wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

It's called Oak Terrace. Not sure if you are familiar with Chapel Hill. It is downtown on MLK right across from the fire station, literally two blocks from the main strip of Franklin.
I am not familiar with Chapel Hill, but I have been doing an extensive amount of research. I'll check out the website, I am not dead set on UNC, but I definetly want to keep my options open. How early do you think I have to put a deposit down on a place before all the good places are filled up?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kpillai

New

Post by kpillai » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:59 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
kpillai wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

I am not familiar with Chapel Hill, but I have been doing an extensive amount of research. I'll check out the website, I am not dead set on UNC, but I definetly want to keep my options open. How early do you think I have to put a deposit down on a place before all the good places are filled up?
I wouldn't worry too much about it. A house downtown might be hard to find later on in the spring. But I found this place in like April/May before my 1L year. A lot of law students live in Glen Lennox, Finley Forest and Alta Springs.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:24 pm

kpillai wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
kpillai wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. A house downtown might be hard to find later on in the spring. But I found this place in like April/May before my 1L year. A lot of law students live in Glen Lennox, Finley Forest and Alta Springs.
From what I am seen online, Shadowood appears to be my favorite. Do you know anyone who lives here? If I apply for a lease mid-april do you think I could get it?

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kpillai

New

Post by kpillai » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:11 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
kpillai wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
kpillai wrote:
From what I am seen online, Shadowood appears to be my favorite. Do you know anyone who lives here? If I apply for a lease mid-april do you think I could get it?
I'm not actually familiar with Shadowood

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”