Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Or the girl who said it wasn't a threat, because there weren't bullets.

Because it's sooooo hard to walk into Wal Mart, and buy 200 bullets.....

....or the guy who made a 2nd amendment appeal over not having a gun license LOL.

btw what's good for food if i don't want a restaurant?

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby twairlines » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 pm

John I'm glad u feel the same way. Yea I caught the prosecute thing and just shook my head. The lady conducting that case and questions just answered must kids with "ok" and then called on the next kid because she just didn't know what half the kids were even trying to say. Instead of watching sport highlights while eating breakfast I spent tht time reading that case only to find out we didnlt even discuss it. Stlisfolovers...u didn't miss much...when r u moving to btown this summer? I'm not doing summer start but ill still be moving in beginning of july. John I think when I tlkd to u earlier on here this week u said u r movin in at poolside as well. We'll def have to get together before the semester starts.
I hope to hear everyone's opinions on the days events. John which breakout sessions did u go to?
Last edited by twairlines on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:35 pm

I was a bit uneasy about the constant reminding of the orange sheets. It is the biggest choice outside of marriage one can make as it determines where we'll be living for potentially our whole career.... to influence people to sign on the spot seems very aggressive.

I think all of the admitted students are really nice, and well educated. I am not used to being surrounded by such an impressive caliber of peers, though I tend to think this might be the case with every t-25 law school?

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby twairlines » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:41 pm

Fflexity can't help much on food front but all the pubs are on kirkwood and don't feel like a restaurant. Also u musthave been in the criminal law session. Ok tht teacher seemed really witty and cool...but tht second amend. Thing was just over the top. I was actually sitting near tht kid and wanted to tell him how stupid tht just sounded. The kid seemed so convinced tht it was a solid idea...and if the class shapes up like todays event then there will be few women..and those tht attended left something to be desired ..oh well here's to hitting on undergrad chicks

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby stlisforlovers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm hoping to move in at the beginning of August. I went to look at apartments there last Monday, and 2/3 appointments I had set up had been leased out by the time I had met with the landlords. So I'm sorrrta freaking out about housing.
So Jared are you saying you were unimpressed with the students there? I went to a craptastic undergrad (a girl in one of my classes didn't know what "Cuba" was?!?!), and I was really hoping there'd be intelligent people at the law school.
Last edited by stlisforlovers on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:46 pm

twairlines wrote:Fflexity can't help much on food front but all the pubs are on kirkwood and don't feel like a restaurant. Also u musthave been in the criminal law session. Ok tht teacher seemed really witty and cool...but tht second amend. Thing was just over the top. I was actually sitting near tht kid and wanted to tell him how stupid tht just sounded. The kid seemed so convinced tht it was a solid idea...and if the class shapes up like todays event then there will be few women..and those tht attended left something to be desired ..oh well here's to hitting on undergrad chicks

there was one girl in the back, who made a lot of smart comments. i didn't see her, but she had a deep voice. she is solid sort of like a horse with a cold. her thoughts and logic were very impressive.

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby twairlines » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:48 pm

I assume it's a T25 thing..but I was blown away by some students backgrounds when tlking to them. Really smart and down to earth students was the general theme.

Stl..in regards to your ?...I went to crappy undergrad and was really impressed by the students but there was a handfull of goofballs tht tried giving their input when they would have been better served not speaking out loud in the different sessions. I'm just tlking about the rare exceptions when tlking about some of the kids with wacked out responses just for the sake of getting a laugh out of those who saw the same thing. But I was verry impressed by everyone else.
Last edited by twairlines on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:52 pm

twairlines wrote:I assume it's a T25 thing..but I was blown away by some students backgrounds when tlking to them. Really smart and down to earth students was the general theme.

+1. there is a level of class and intellectualism everyone gives off that i am used to only roughly 5% of the class giving off. it's a good thing, but top 10% might be more of a pull than i anticipated. alright im starving and have only slept for 6 hours the past 2 nights combined.

User avatar
beidoun
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 am

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby beidoun » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 am

Did anyone go to the moot court breakout session?

The guy that ran the session was an absolute machine. He was talking about everything he did. He goes "You should do journal, you should do moot court and you should do trail team." I think he scared most of the 0Ls in the room.

His profile: http://www.law.indiana.edu/degrees/jd/p ... deen.shtml

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12722
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby LeDique » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:47 am

beidoun wrote:Did anyone go to the moot court breakout session?

The guy that ran the session was an absolute machine. He was talking about everything he did. He goes "You should do journal, you should do moot court and you should do trail team." I think he scared most of the 0Ls in the room.

His profile: http://www.law.indiana.edu/degrees/jd/p ... deen.shtml


I stopped reading at "HOMETOWN: I GREW UP IN 10 DIFFERENT STATES." - lolz

User avatar
aquasalad
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby aquasalad » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:59 am

The girl in the back with impeccable logic was in my crim breakout. She filled out the orange sheet, looking forward to learning more about her and her perspective..

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:40 pm

idk if i'll pick IU, but i have to say that law school is pretty sweet. everybody thinks on such a cool level, and has a certain a level of class. i hope all law schools are like this. my only visits before this were the t-4's where i took the LSAT, and there were a lot of chains and retarded arguments.

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby twairlines » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:49 pm

beidoun wrote:Did anyone go to the moot court breakout session?

The guy that ran the session was an absolute machine. He was talking about everything he did. He goes "You should do journal, you should do moot court and you should do trail team." I think he scared most of the 0Ls in the room.

His profile: http://www.law.indiana.edu/degrees/jd/p ... deen.shtml

Yeah...guy was a beast..I also liked how they each kept bragging about what each other has accomplished rather than their personal strides. Dude was also dual degree with spea I believe. How he did tht plus everything he was part of makes u wonder how it is even possible. Dude had great court voice too.

User avatar
chihuahua12
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby chihuahua12 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:36 pm

twairlines wrote:Lol today was fun...just got done eating gyros at the trojan horse..and mother bear's pizza was excellent when I had it yesterday. Today was nice, the alumni who came in were very social and informative. The one successful female lawyer actuallythrew the f bomb when talking bout her fellings toward gunners in her graduating class. I felt like tht is about dwn to earth and as real as one could be. Some kids seemed socially akward, others looked like they have not seen the sun in years. Some kids went out of their way to answer questions that could have been said in 5 or fewer words, but they liked hearing themselves talk or tryind to sound as if they are well informed. I literally spitout my water at the mock class when the professor recommended reading getting to maybe and a chick pulled a copy of it out of her bag. Lol, either gunner or just ....yeah pretty damn sad. Most student orgs went out of their way to explain who they r and wht they do beyond what a website can do. Some really intelligent and nice potential classmates I hope to join come next year. Library is large...and the campus and btown are gorgeous, clean, and different from what most college towns offer.



+1

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby danquayle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:49 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:Or the girl who said it wasn't a threat, because there weren't bullets.

Because it's sooooo hard to walk into Wal Mart, and buy 200 bullets.....

....or the guy who made a 2nd amendment appeal over not having a gun license LOL.

btw what's good for food if i don't want a restaurant?


Uncle D's is decent is you like NY style pizza, and the Japanese restaurant next to it is fantastic. Define what you mean by "not a restaurant"... you just mean not a traditional sit down joint right?

There's Chick-Fil-A in the library :)

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby danquayle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:53 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:
twairlines wrote:Lol today was fun...just got done eating gyros at the trojan horse..and mother bear's pizza was excellent when I had it yesterday. Today was nice, the alumni who came in were very social and informative. The one successful female lawyer actuallythrew the f bomb when talking bout her fellings toward gunners in her graduating class. I felt like tht is about dwn to earth and as real as one could be. Some kids seemed socially akward, others looked like they have not seen the sun in years. Some kids went out of their way to answer questions that could have been said in 5 or fewer words, but they liked hearing themselves talk or tryind to sound as if they are well informed. I literally spitout my water at the mock class when the professor recommended reading getting to maybe and a chick pulled a copy of it out of her bag. Lol, either gunner or just ....yeah pretty damn sad. Most student orgs went out of their way to explain who they r and wht they do beyond what a website can do. Some really intelligent and nice potential classmates I hope to join come next year. Library is large...and the campus and btown are gorgeous, clean, and different from what most college towns offer.



+1


I have a feeling a lot of the comments I've said to you guys over time will start making sense. Gotta take things in stride. :)

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:51 pm

aquasalad wrote:The girl in the back with impeccable logic was in my crim breakout. She filled out the orange sheet, looking forward to learning more about her and her perspective..


That was me!!! LOL.

That is, if you are talking about the black chick who talked about the need for an imminent threat if you are mounting a "self-defense defense". If not, carry on!

BTW, I SO missed the TLS outing. I was swept up by the BLSA and LLSA students on Friday and they took care of me all weekend.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12722
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby LeDique » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:10 pm

In before backtracking and claiming it was someone else.

User avatar
chrisnashville
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:46 am

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby chrisnashville » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:21 pm

I had a great time at SLD. I might have committed there if they weren't pushing those orange sheets so hard. That seemed a bit classless, and everyone I talked to at the bars later that night seemed to agree. I'm waiting out of principle now ;)

The building and classrooms were nice (actually it were those awesome chairs that sold me haha), the faculty were engaging (was sitting in the crim pro breakout, and that guy was great), and the nightlife leaves very very little to be desired :) Met a bunch of smart and interesting people. A couple stranger folks too, but not too many :)

I started to laugh when someone pulled out GTM in that mock class, and referenced the "debate over hornbooks" in a question. I can't criticize too much, though, since a few folks turned and said "what's a hornbook" to each other. Clearly I'm just a closet gunner :D

The housing tour was awk. Some people liked to hear themselves talk way too much in those breakout sessions. I'll need some gchat friends to make fun of people in class, clearly...

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby stlisforlovers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Hm, I wonder why they were pushing so hard for people to commit. I would think that having half the class filled by now would be pretty good as it's still before the deadline.
That sorta freaks me out.
And if they did pull off the waitlist, wouldn't they be getting more money out of those people? Maybe they just are REALLY gunning for a class with better LSATs and GPAs.

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby twairlines » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:44 pm

cowgirl....i must agree that was very impressive logic, and I can't wait to be in a class with someone who really puts things into perspective like that. On the other hand, after talking to the one kid who brought up the 2nd amendment, I can't really say the same for him..haha

12i
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby 12i » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:48 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Hm, I wonder why they were pushing so hard for people to commit. I would think that having half the class filled by now would be pretty good as it's still before the deadline.
That sorta freaks me out.
And if they did pull off the waitlist, wouldn't they be getting more money out of those people? Maybe they just are REALLY gunning for a class with better LSATs and GPAs.


I think it is clearly obvious why they pushed so hard. They had us on campus they wanted us to love it and commit. IU-B could give a shit if they gain a single dollar from this years class. They want to move up the rankings and they want to be ahead of ND. They pushed the orange sheets because they wants to lock us in. As soon as we leave and visit other schools the less chance we will still be as high on IUB. Indiana did a hell of a job courting us this weekend and I can honestly say that I had a surreal visit. With that being said, I kept noticing that the faculty and other students did not act/present themselves as a school that is a 't25.' Also, they never mentioned job stats or placement figures which was a huge turn off for me personally. My take away on the weekend was that Bloomington was topshelf but the law school left a lot on the table (from my pt. Of view). I did spend most of my weekend hungover/drunk so I might be a bit off based. I still see IUB as a definite option for me and I would say it will be 50/50 come decision time. To the usual people who type on this form, it was a great time meeting you and discussing plans. I typed this on my iPhone, hence the awful grammar.

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby stlisforlovers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:57 pm

They didn't say anything all weekend about employment stats? :shock:

12i
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby 12i » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:01 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:They didn't say anything all weekend about employment stats? :shock:


No. They did do somethig that was very interesting, though. They brought older alum in from CA and DC to show that they have 'national reach.' it sucked kids in which confused me Because the way the market has been, students who could get into
CA and DC from IU would be a rarity.

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby stlisforlovers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:07 pm

I don't really know how SLD worked, but wasn't there some opportunity for Q&A or break out sessions or something like that? Nobody asked about it? That seems really bad.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests