Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
RooksWS6

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby RooksWS6 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Someone on the FB page had suggested Friday for the TLS get together instead of Saturday. Any thoughts on this? I'm fairly local, so have no real preference. There is an "optional" social activity put on by IUB at 7:30 Saturday and there was some concern with conflicting with it. If we decided to do the TLS get together Saturday we could always plan to meet at the SLD event and branch out from there.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:34 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:Someone on the FB page had suggested Friday for the TLS get together instead of Saturday. Any thoughts on this? I'm fairly local, so have no real preference. There is an "optional" social activity put on by IUB at 7:30 Saturday and there was some concern with conflicting with it. If we decided to do the TLS get together Saturday we could always plan to meet at the SLD event and branch out from there.

What is the facebook page? link?

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:50 pm

SrLaw wrote:Who can I expect to see on March 26?

I'll be there. I'm on vacation right now I've been on a bit of a TLS hiatus but will be back full force soon :) Meeting up for the other get together then branching out as TLS isn't a bad idea.

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:51 pm

SrLaw wrote:
RooksWS6 wrote:Someone on the FB page had suggested Friday for the TLS get together instead of Saturday. Any thoughts on this? I'm fairly local, so have no real preference. There is an "optional" social activity put on by IUB at 7:30 Saturday and there was some concern with conflicting with it. If we decided to do the TLS get together Saturday we could always plan to meet at the SLD event and branch out from there.

What is the facebook page? link?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Indiana-U ... 5313207243

vmiller

Postby vmiller » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:07 am

I'm sure you guys will get tons of information about housing at SLD, but if you want some more information/pics I have a bunch from visiting a few apartment complexes. I was looking for places for my fiancée and I. Ended up choosing a 2 bed 1 1/2 bath townhouse about a mile off campus on the main bus route (buses are free for students). It basically has the same total cost as a 1 bed apartment right near downtown (and 500 more square feet!), and we wanted the space.

PM me if you want a spreadsheet with a comparison of rent/utilities/laundry/safety/parking/etc for Poolside, Maple Leaf, Maple Grove, Campus Walk Grad Building (all 1 bed apts) and Sassafras Hill Apts (2 bed 1 1/2 bath townhouse). I also have pictures of all of those places I could email you. Obviously there are a crap ton of apartment options in Bloomington and this isn't all of them, but I picked these because they were mainly for grad students or offered a grad student discount, and I heard good things from current IU students. I ultimately decided to go with a much bigger place for the same money a little further from campus, but might have chosen a 1 bed apartment closer to campus if I was going to be living by myself, its up to you to decide what matters. If you are willing to put a little space between your housing and the campus, you can get a LOT in Bloomington. Anyone living in a big city now is going to love the COL difference. Right now I'm in a 400 sq ft apartment and will probably freak out when we move into our new 1100 sq ft townhouse. Anyways, if you have any questions let me know. :D

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Well, I officially signed up for summer start.

I got an e-mail response saying that they would change my start date and that they would "credit my scholarship", but didn't really get any information besides that.

rk90

Postby rk90 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Well, I officially signed up for summer start.

I got an e-mail response saying that they would change my start date and that they would "credit my scholarship", but didn't really get any information besides that.

When did you sign up? I've been waiting on confirmation about same for a while now.

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

rk90 wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Well, I officially signed up for summer start.

When did you sign up? I've been waiting on confirmation about same for a while now.

I sent Dani Weatherford an e-mail sometime over the weekend (the 12th maybe) and got a response last night.

chihuahua12

Postby chihuahua12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Officially submitted my intent to enroll today.

See you all at SLD :)

pcvmeli

Postby pcvmeli » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I also just submitted my intent to enroll. I won't be at Spring Law Day so I hope you guys can fill me in :) Now its on to find housing. Anyone besides vmiller get their housing set up yet? I am thinking maybe Poolside, are there other recommendations?

brokenwindows

Postby brokenwindows » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:31 pm

I've been looking at some townhouses online with Parker Real Estate mgt. They're called Winslow Ridge on Burberry St. Anyone heard of these? What are your thoughts?

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 am

brokenwindows wrote:I've been looking at some townhouses online with Parker Real Estate mgt. They're called Winslow Ridge on Burberry St. Anyone heard of these? What are your thoughts?

I just looked it up and those are over 2 miles away from the law school. I don't know if you are driving or planning on busing, but I think I would prefer to live somewhere within a more reasonable walking distance.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:14 am

I do not mind a commute. I'll have a car with me (although not until August and I have NO idea how Im going to get it to Indiana) but I have no issue taking the bus. The stuff I have seen that is further out from campus seems to be much nicer and cheaper. I am very cheap but I want to live someplace kind of upscale. The places right on campus that fit that description are more than I am willing to pay, so I will likely be a mile or 2 from campus.

I am seriously looking at the City Flats at Renwick, the Fields, and maybe Copper Beech (which comes furnished). Anybody else thinking about those properties?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:17 am

I figure much of the year is going to be miserable enough that I won't want to hoof it anyways, so whether I am five blocks away from the school or 3 miles probably doesn't make much difference.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:24 am

TommyK wrote:I figure much of the year is going to be miserable enough that I won't want to hoof it anyways, so whether I am five blocks away from the school or 3 miles probably doesn't make much difference.

Tommy where are you from if you dont mind my asking?

This is random, but I seldom come across people who say "hoof it". I say it here in DC and people always give me very strange looks, LOL. I thought it was a universal saying, but some think it is restricted to the South

brokenwindows

Postby brokenwindows » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 am

2 miles isn't that far for us. It's a money situation that has us looking further off campus. Thanks for your input! :D

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
TommyK wrote:I figure much of the year is going to be miserable enough that I won't want to hoof it anyways, so whether I am five blocks away from the school or 3 miles probably doesn't make much difference.

Tommy where are you from if you dont mind my asking?

This is random, but I seldom come across people who say "hoof it". I say it here in DC and people always give me very strange looks, LOL. I thought it was a universal saying, but some think it is restricted to the South

LOL, hmm - now that I think about it, it does sound kind of weird to my midwestern ear. I live in Ohio, but I've lived all over the US, including a few of my most formative years in the South. My mom is also born and raised in the deep south so I may occasionally slip in the random southern saying.

nadiaaa5860

Postby nadiaaa5860 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:25 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:I do not mind a commute. I'll have a car with me (although not until August and I have NO idea how Im going to get it to Indiana) but I have no issue taking the bus. The stuff I have seen that is further out from campus seems to be much nicer and cheaper. I am very cheap but I want to live someplace kind of upscale. The places right on campus that fit that description are more than I am willing to pay, so I will likely be a mile or 2 from campus.

I am seriously looking at the City Flats at Renwick, the Fields, and maybe Copper Beech (which comes furnished). Anybody else thinking about those properties?

Copper Beech looked nice and reasonably priced. But only for the 2 or 3 bedroom. And I agree if you don't live walking distance it really doesn't matter if you live 5 or 10 minutes out, it's best to just get the nicest, cheapest place at that point.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Edit: Nevermind.
Last edited by MattThiessen on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:35 pm

Received some stationary and envelops from IUB. Kind of random, but nice lol

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:48 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Received some stationary and envelops from IUB. Kind of random, but nice lol

Got mine too. Nice gesture. I haven't written an actual letter since I was probably 8, sending a thank you note to my grandmother. I still have stationery I got for high school graduation 10+ years ago.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Stationary is nice! Very nice gesture.

Watch me take the CHEAP route and use them as my graduation announcements in May. Dont think I wont, LOL

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:19 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Stationary is nice! Very nice gesture.

Watch me take the CHEAP route and use them as my graduation announcements in May. Dont think I wont, LOL

Love that idea!

I also love stationery... but not sure what to do if I decide against IUB. I thought I could give it to my dad, but it has "Class of 2014" on it.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:30 pm

I just committed...woohoo....can't wait to see some of you at SLD, especially those of you who already committed.

aquasalad

Postby aquasalad » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:30 pm

I just emailed admissions with my intent to enroll, as well as signing up for summer start. I got an apartment last week at the Poolsides. Really excited to see you guys at SLD, definitely hitting up the TLS get-together, should be fun!

John

Edit FWIW 120k 3.3 166 got in on Feb 14th
Last edited by aquasalad on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”