Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
CanadianWolf

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:20 pm

I read a few weeks ago that Indiana was conducting interviews of current applicants in two or three different cities & am curious as to whether any of the interviewees have received a decision ? Thanks.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:21 pm

What sort of law/ jobs are you guys interested in?

An IU student contacted me so that I could ask her questions. I asked since the BigLaw placement rate isn't very good, where are they placing people? Government, PI, Midlaw? She hasn't responded.
I am interested in IP and am stoked about the possibilities that having little debt coming out of IUB will afford me (considering I can get a M.S. and JD relatively cheap!!!). I'm not expecting to make 6 figures but would like to pay back my loans and have a decent lifestyle.
There just doesn't seem to be that much information out there on what sort of employment we can be looking at upon graduation and was seeing if any of you guys have any info or thoughts/input.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:27 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I read a few weeks ago that Indiana was conducting interviews of current applicants in two or three different cities & am curious as to whether any of the interviewees have received a decision ? Thanks.

Who exactly interviewed? I heard they interviewed people applying from DC, but I never had one.
stlisforlovers wrote:What sort of law/ jobs are you guys interested in?

An IU student contacted me so that I could ask her questions. I asked since the BigLaw placement rate isn't very good, where are they placing people? Government, PI, Midlaw? She hasn't responded.
I am interested in IP and am stoked about the possibilities that having little debt coming out of IUB will afford me (considering I can get a M.S. and JD relatively cheap!!!). I'm not expecting to make 6 figures but would like to pay back my loans and have a decent lifestyle.
There just doesn't seem to be that much information out there on what sort of employment we can be looking at upon graduation and was seeing if any of you guys have any info or thoughts/input.

In not expecting big law, although it would be nice. I just want mid-law or something that can allow me to pay off my debt after graduation. I dont need to live rich, but I do want to live well. I know IUB is not in the top 50 schools are far as NLJ250 placement, and they are, of course, heavily concentrated in Indiana. A few people do escape to the East Coast, which is my plan, so hopefully I can end up there. If not, mid-law in Indiana where the cost of living is low will have to suffice.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:29 pm

I read that interviews were conducted in Wash. D.C., Chicago & Indianapolis.

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:29 pm

I just officially accepted my offer of admission. :D I will probably wait for more info and then decide about summer start.

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:45 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:I just officially accepted my offer of admission. :D I will probably wait for more info and then decide about summer start.

Congrats! I'm expecting to accept my offer at SLD, barring something unforeseen :-)

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Does anyone know anything about if we can use our financial aid for the fall for the summer start program or if we have to show up with cash on hand? I would be willing to take out the other half of Summer Start tuition and COL for the summer in loans if that would work so I could do the program.

Is there a contact person for Summer Start? My packet said I had information about it enclosed, but I certainly didnt see anything.

I think you have to fill out the 2010-2011 FAFSA, and they have a separate award (mine was half off) for Summer Start. So it's not part of the 120k/105k/etc. scholarship packages they sent, as far as I know.

I'm still weighing summer start. I'm enjoying my life here in Nashville still :) I'm meeting some IU folks tomorrow here in town (and I suppose run into some other applicants/admits), so I will ask them their thoughts and if I hear anything interesting, I'll let ya'll know :D

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:55 pm

chrisnashville wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:I just officially accepted my offer of admission. :D I will probably wait for more info and then decide about summer start.

Congrats! I'm expecting to accept my offer at SLD, barring something unforeseen :-)

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Does anyone know anything about if we can use our financial aid for the fall for the summer start program or if we have to show up with cash on hand? I would be willing to take out the other half of Summer Start tuition and COL for the summer in loans if that would work so I could do the program.

Is there a contact person for Summer Start? My packet said I had information about it enclosed, but I certainly didnt see anything.

I think you have to fill out the 2010-2011 FAFSA, and they have a separate award (mine was half off) for Summer Start. So it's not part of the 120k/105k/etc. scholarship packages they sent, as far as I know.

I'm still weighing summer start. I'm enjoying my life here in Nashville still :) I'm meeting some IU folks tomorrow here in town (and I suppose run into some other applicants/admits), so I will ask them their thoughts and if I hear anything interesting, I'll let ya'll know :D

Mine is 1/2 off too. When the summer comes Im just going to be working, so Im not doing much of anything interesting during that time. Maximizing the time I have left with my family may be the only thing that causes me to stay until the fall.

And Congrats AbovetheLawSchool! I will decide if IUB is right for me no later than SLD, and probably before. I kind of want to see what other schools come through before I accept.

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:03 pm

I do not know of a specific contact for Summer Start. I did email financial aid and was told to submit/update the 2010 FAFSA. I have maxed my undergrad loans for this year and was told I should still be able to get loans once I update my FAFSA to show I am a grad student.

The email had pretty detailed instructions on updating the FAFSA. If you're interested I can PM you with them.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Congrats, AboveTheLaw! I'm visiting next weekend and short of the aforementioned kitten slaughter, I will be accepting their offer as well!

Also, the IU student responded with a very thoughtful and informative email about job prospects. If anyone is interested in seeing it, PM me and I'd be happy to share!

newyorkqueens

Postby newyorkqueens » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:24 pm

ATLS have you or anyone else received a reply after accepting? I sent in my acceptance e-mail Monday and haven't heard about next steps etc.

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm

By
newyorkqueens wrote:

ATLS have you or anyone else received a reply after accepting? I sent in my acceptance e-mail Monday and haven't heard about next steps etc.

I received a response but it took several days.

beaubois

Postby beaubois » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:07 pm

How long have people had to wait between admit and scholly info? Does Maurer admit in batches or on a rolling basis? Thanks.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Scholly info comes with the acceptance. Admission is on a rolling basis and in batches, if that makes sense.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:20 pm

beaubois wrote:How long have people had to wait between admit and scholly info? Does Maurer admit in batches or on a rolling basis? Thanks.

It seems like they admit in batches, with the last batches being 2/18 and 1/28. But technically they are rolling admissions.

rk90

Postby rk90 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:27 pm

Cheers! Accepted myself a few days ago.

Does anyone know what the deadline is to decide on summer start?

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks guys, I'm excited.

And all I got was an e-mail with pdf attachments of the stuff I already got in my admissions packet, not sure if this had anything to do with me accepting or if they sent this to everyone.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:38 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Thanks guys, I'm excited.

And all I got was an e-mail with pdf attachments of the stuff I already got in my admissions packet, not sure if this had anything to do with me accepting or if they sent this to everyone.

they just emailed me a boatload of PDF files, saying it should have come in my packet, but they did not. Whoever packed mine was slacking, lol

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Got an email from IUB with this video. I'm sure others got it as well, but thought I'd share for any who didn't. I'm impressed by the emphasis they put on their alumni network. Being a local I've gotten to experience a little of this first hand since I decided to attend. I was surprised how forthcoming they attorneys I've come into contact with have been. I know, I know... it's just in Indiana, you won't get the same in Chicago, D.C., etc. but I'm ok with that. :)

--LinkRemoved--

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:39 am

RooksWS6 wrote:Got an email from IUB with this video. I'm sure others got it as well, but thought I'd share for any who didn't. I'm impressed by the emphasis they put on their alumni network. Being a local I've gotten to experience a little of this first hand since I decided to attend. I was surprised how forthcoming they attorneys I've come into contact with have been. I know, I know... it's just in Indiana, you won't get the same in Chicago, D.C., etc. but I'm ok with that. :)

--LinkRemoved--

I don't know as much about the law school alumni network, but the b-school definitely has a strong presence in NYC. One of my friends from hs went to Kelley undergrad and now lives in New York. Since I'd lived in NY 7 years by the time she got there, I was all prepared to help her get adjusted, meet people, etc., and it turned out she already had a huge network there from undergrad. These people are in private equity, the big banks, hedge funds, etc. These are the clients those of us interested in corporate work will want. Do they have to work a little harder to prove themselves against people from HBS, Wharton, Stern, etc? Of course. But, IU is on the radar... probably more for those firms based in the Midwest (Kirkland, Sidley, Jones Day, etc.)... but there's enough there to grasp it if you want it, I think.

rk90

Postby rk90 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:52 am

RooksWS6 wrote:Got an email from IUB with this video. I'm sure others got it as well, but thought I'd share for any who didn't. I'm impressed by the emphasis they put on their alumni network. Being a local I've gotten to experience a little of this first hand since I decided to attend. I was surprised how forthcoming they attorneys I've come into contact with have been. I know, I know... it's just in Indiana, you won't get the same in Chicago, D.C., etc. but I'm ok with that. :)

--LinkRemoved--

You're right in that the networks are more regional than more prominent schools but don't think Chi is a problem. A couple of the alumni in the video are Chicago area alums who were at the admitted students dinner I attended there. Still the level of contact and openness has been impressive.

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Got a response today. Basically a congratulations, a reminder to send in a photo and final transcript, and an encouragement to sign up for summer start.

newyorkqueens

Postby newyorkqueens » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Same. Got the congrats / reminders in a note today.

I am considering summer start...

emc217

Postby emc217 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:50 pm

current 2L here. Congrats to everyone who's gotten in - IU is a fantastic place to call home for the next few years!

I did Summer Start, and highly recommend it - Bloomington is beautiful and relaxed in the summer time, and it's so nice to be able to focus 100% on just one class. You also get to meet about 50 of your classmates early and get a head start on the friend-making. And it's nice to figure out how a law school class works when only one grade is at stake (rather than risking 17 credit hours in the fall). You'll also have enough time to socialize and have a decent amount of fun.

Which brings me to my main point - if anyone is doing Summer Start and wants to sublet my apartment, it's on the market. I did this last summer with a current 1L and it worked out really well. I've got a stash of supplements you're welcome to borrow, the place is fully furnished, I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment at poolside which is less than 5 min from the law school. The really nice part about all this is you can test out Bloomington while subletting and get a feel for where you prefer to live and then can do your real move in the 2 weeks between summer start and the fall semester. I've got pics I can send, or if you're visiting the campus let me know and I can show you the place in person.

Good luck to everyone who's waitlisted/still waiting to hear back from IU!

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Alright, so I found some more info on summer start:

--LinkRemoved--

Tuition is $6,341. I get half-off so I would end up paying around $3000, not sure if it's worth it or not.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Just RSVP-ed for the DC reception even on March 15th. Anybody else attending?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”