Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
newyorkqueens

New

Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Post by newyorkqueens » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm all but certain at this point that I will be a Hoosier in the fall, anybody with me?

The school hits all my requirements: Large scholarships with no stips, solid regional placement (ITE), good curve, strong alumni network, and high quality of living.

Anybody else thinking IUB will be their future alma mater? :P

athenian

Bronze

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Post by athenian » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:15 pm

Not certain yet, but I'm tagging this for future reference.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:34 pm

Def one of my top choices right now. I want to get more info on where IU grads actually end up, to say they place strong in the midwest is a pretty broad statement.

RooksWS6

New

Post by RooksWS6 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:31 pm

I will be in B-town this fall. I'm actually considering the Summer Start program. Is anyone else?

Looking forward to Spring Law day in March. Who else is planning to go?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:30 pm

I haven't formally accepted the offer, but I'm about 95% sure - same sort of criteria as OP. Not sure about summer start, though. Leaning towards working a little more in the summer to save up some more cash :|

I should be at Spring Law Day. Look forward to meeting some future classmates!

newyorkqueens

New

Post by newyorkqueens » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:47 pm

I'm not going to do the summer start because I want to save some extra money / travel before the long haul of law school.

IUB seems like it may be on the rise, and I like being part of that. Does anybody have any information about housing options? Does the school help finding roommates etc?

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 pm

newyorkqueens wrote:I'm not going to do the summer start because I want to save some extra money / travel before the long haul of law school.

IUB seems like it may be on the rise, and I like being part of that. Does anybody have any information about housing options? Does the school help finding roommates etc?
I think in the acceptance packet it says the school will help connect you with other incoming 1Ls who are looking for a roommate -- I'd just email them and ask.

I've scanned craigslist a couple times the past month to see what sort of places pop up. Nothing too exciting yet, but I've read in another (very long) thread with current students that housing is plentiful/cheap. Or maybe that's how I wanted to remember reading it :D

FromtheD

New

Post by FromtheD » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Yep, I'm 90% sure about IUB. And I also heard about cheap housing!! Hopefully, that rings true, and if anyone has any leads about good apartments, please share. Has everyone gotten the email to put them in touch with a 2L?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

newyorkqueens

New

Post by newyorkqueens » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Yeah I got the contact e-mail. I applied to this school, thinking it would be my third or fourth choice, but the more I read about it, the more I love it!

I'm not sure more money at any of the other schools I've applied to can unseat IUB now.

Anybody considering the JD/MBA?

rk90

New

Post by rk90 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:36 am

newyorkqueens wrote:Yeah I got the contact e-mail. I applied to this school, thinking it would be my third or fourth choice, but the more I read about it, the more I love it!

I'm not sure more money at any of the other schools I've applied to can unseat IUB now.

Anybody considering the JD/MBA?

I've been thinking about it... Do you know how the 3 yr program differs from the 4 yr version?

sab0tage

New

Post by sab0tage » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:51 pm

I got my admit packet in the mail a week ago. I hadn't even considered IUB until a couple months ago when I decided send out a few more apps just in case my original apps didn't go so well. When I got the acceptance letter I was freaking floored by the scholarship (120k). I did a little research and IUB is giving out a ton of these almost full-tuition scholarships. I mean a ton. This makes me a little suspicious b/c it seems like they are trying a little hard or something. I dont know maybe its just a bruised ego because I am not the only one etc etc.

Does anybody who got admitted with one of these scholarships having any thoughts?

I doubt any other schools to which I applied are going to come close to this, so it is going to be next to impossible to pass up.

newyorkqueens

New

Post by newyorkqueens » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:35 pm

sab0tage wrote:I got my admit packet in the mail a week ago. I hadn't even considered IUB until a couple months ago when I decided send out a few more apps just in case my original apps didn't go so well. When I got the acceptance letter I was freaking floored by the scholarship (120k). I did a little research and IUB is giving out a ton of these almost full-tuition scholarships. I mean a ton. This makes me a little suspicious b/c it seems like they are trying a little hard or something. I dont know maybe its just a bruised ego because I am not the only one etc etc.

Does anybody who got admitted with one of these scholarships having any thoughts?

I doubt any other schools to which I applied are going to come close to this, so it is going to be next to impossible to pass up.
This doesn't really concern me. It looks like they are giving out so many of these because they were the recipients of a large donation that can only be used on scholarships. I see them using this to boost the caliber of the students and am honored to be part of this incoming class of BAMF ( :mrgreen: )

I think it will probably move up the rankings as a result of this, nothing wrong with going to a top 25 school for near-free....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:40 pm

sab0tage wrote:I got my admit packet in the mail a week ago. I hadn't even considered IUB until a couple months ago when I decided send out a few more apps just in case my original apps didn't go so well. When I got the acceptance letter I was freaking floored by the scholarship (120k). I did a little research and IUB is giving out a ton of these almost full-tuition scholarships. I mean a ton. This makes me a little suspicious b/c it seems like they are trying a little hard or something. I dont know maybe its just a bruised ego because I am not the only one etc etc.

I think the first batch of admits probably all felt this way after they found out their large scholarship wasn't that unique :) I'm pretty sure I did. Of course, now a new batch of people are applying hoping that the funds haven't dried up. It's my understanding that the school received some hefty donations recently, and they're using the money, among other things, to attract students with higher LSATs.
FromtheD wrote:Yep, I'm 90% sure about IUB. And I also heard about cheap housing!! Hopefully, that rings true, and if anyone has any leads about good apartments, please share. Has everyone gotten the email to put them in touch with a 2L?
I got a call a few weeks ago from a 3L (or recent grad, I don't remember) who left a voicemail and a number in case I wanted to chat about anything. I haven't called back, but I probably should...

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm about 60% sure I'm goign to be in Bloomington come fall. 120k is hard to pass up, and I'm a Midwest girl through and through.
Has anyone been to Bloomington, though? Is QOL good? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:23 pm

holy moley - trying a little hard? Geez, some people are never happy. They always want more money and then a solid school ponies up some serious cash and they get suspicious.

No, not concerned, not suspicious. Excited? yes.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:28 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:I'm about 60% sure I'm goign to be in Bloomington come fall. 120k is hard to pass up, and I'm a Midwest girl through and through.
Has anyone been to Bloomington, though? Is QOL good? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I'll defer to an alum or a present student, but those with whom I've spoken have nothing but excellent things to say about Bloomington as an excellent place to live. I'm a sucker for college towns so I'm excited at the prospect.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:42 pm

TommyK wrote: I'm a sucker for college towns so I'm excited at the prospect.
Me, too. I'm visiting the first week of March and excited to see how it is.
Last edited by stlisforlovers on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:00 pm

stlisforlovers wrote: Me, too. I'm visiting the first week of March and excited to see who it is.
Coming for spring day?

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:16 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:I'm about 60% sure I'm goign to be in Bloomington come fall. 120k is hard to pass up, and I'm a Midwest girl through and through.
I've yet to hear a bad thing about it, from what I've read on here, alums of the university, people who lived in Bloomington... I think QOL is the least of my worries :) I went to a school much like IU for undergrad though, and I'm a little worried about moving back from the big city to a large town of undergrads again. Though I've been assured that there is a large grad population too :)

Plus, they have this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8hdKnr7rpE

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:43 pm

TommyK wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote: Me, too. I'm visiting the first week of March and excited to see who it is.
Coming for spring day?
Err when is Spring Day? I'm going March 5 or 6. I'm also worried about job prospects (just cuz of Bloomington's distance from any major city), but at least I won't be in a ton of debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

newyorkqueens

New

Post by newyorkqueens » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm not able to make the ASW which kind of sucks, but I will be checking out the campus before making a decision. Not too worried about job prospects, it looks like IU-B does VERY well in Indy and places sporadically in other midwest cities.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Coming for spring day?
Err when is Spring Day? I'm going March 5 or 6. I'm also worried about job prospects (just cuz of Bloomington's distance from any major city), but at least I won't be in a ton of debt.
I think it's Saturday, March 25. Not sure what the agenda is, but the 3L that has been calling me recommended attending.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 pm

TommyK wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Coming for spring day?
I think it's Saturday, March 25. Not sure what the agenda is, but the 3L that has been calling me recommended attending.
Whoa, how did I forget about this?!? I had been planning to skipping out on some classes and making the 3 hour drive over midweek. But hey, this works perfectly! I'll be there!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:10 am

newyorkqueens wrote:

This doesn't really concern me. It looks like they are giving out so many of these because they were the recipients of a large donation that can only be used on scholarships. I see them using this to boost the caliber of the students and am honored to be part of this incoming class of BAMF ( :mrgreen: )

I think it will probably move up the rankings as a result of this, nothing wrong with going to a top 25 school for near-free....
Yes, exactly. I really like that the school is doing what it can to boost its reputation. I'd much rather be in a sea of 90% scholarships than one of few to get a 50% scholarship.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”