Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
melanne89
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby melanne89 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:54 am

StyrofoamWar wrote:
melanne89 wrote:I got my acceptance a few weeks ago, still waiting on UCI and UC Davis, but I just can't get Pepperdine out of my mind since I went to visit the campus. My only concern is that the conservatism of the school may impact the teaching, any thoughts on that? Or pros and cons in general?


Another Pepperdine 1L here. I had the same qualm when I initially looked into Pepperdine, as I have some decently strong liberal beliefs. So far this year, I have had 0 professors push a political agenda on me. The only real aspect that reflects Pepperdine's conservative/religious leanings in my experience is the presence of a Christian Legal Society on campus, which is completely 100% optional. As far as student makeup goes, people are all over the place politically, religiously, and just about every which was on any issue.

In short, it's a diverse group that is in no way pushy with any beliefs (other than the occasional student who likes to engage in political debate, regardless of position). If you're worried about the conservative nature of the school affecting your education, rest assured that you have no worries.



Sounds good, thanks. The way things are looking, there is a good chance I'll end up at Pepperdine so your feedback definitely gives some reassurance.

User avatar
irishvt14
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby irishvt14 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:11 am

I'm crashing the admitted students party again (sorry!!), but I have a question...I went complete last Thursday and decision rendered yesterday. That seems bad to me, what do others think?? I wouldn't have thought I was an automatic reject but what do I know! 163/3.32 and I don't know if it matters but I'm from Vermont.

mia137
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby mia137 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:57 am

irishvt14 wrote:I'm crashing the admitted students party again (sorry!!), but I have a question...I went complete last Thursday and decision rendered yesterday. That seems bad to me, what do others think?? I wouldn't have thought I was an automatic reject but what do I know! 163/3.32 and I don't know if it matters but I'm from Vermont.



The speed with which you went DR isn't a bad sign. I went DR within a few days of going complete. If you're in you should be receiving an email with a Wavenet account in the next couple days. Best of luck!

pitt
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby pitt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:04 am

Is anybody looking for someone to share an apartment with? I have found nice place that is 1 mile from campus, and costs only $2,500-3,000. Speak up if you're interested!

clevername3
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby clevername3 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:18 pm

pitt wrote:Is anybody looking for someone to share an apartment with? I have found nice place that is 1 mile from campus, and costs only $2,500-3,000. Speak up if you're interested!


Yes, I am. Let's talk some more.

mm12
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby mm12 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Anyone going to the admitted students day on Friday?

User avatar
sdubs
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby sdubs » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:59 pm

I ammmm! im flying from philly... but it sucks because its supposed to rain friday in malibu! booooooooo.

cjgeissler
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby cjgeissler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Anyone looking for places to live? My ideal is to live with like 3 other guys and be able to split a bigger place in Malibu.

Something like this:

http://losangeles.condo.com/House-For-R ... m_21893713

Let me know if you'd be interested.

Chris Geissler
cjgeissler@gmail.com

melanne89
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby melanne89 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 pm

mm12 wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students day on Friday?




I am! Bummer about the weather though.

mia137
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby mia137 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:22 pm

melanne89 wrote:
mm12 wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students day on Friday?




I am! Bummer about the weather though.



Anyone know if we're supposed to be there all day or if it's actually an open house to which we can show up whenever?

melanne89
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby melanne89 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:58 pm

mia137 wrote:
melanne89 wrote:
mm12 wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students day on Friday?




I am! Bummer about the weather though.



Anyone know if we're supposed to be there all day or if it's actually an open house to which we can show up whenever?


On the Agenda they sent out, they have registration from 8:30-9. I think you can probably leave early, but I don't know about showing up at any time.

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby LS-boundNYC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:54 am

melanne89 wrote:
mm12 wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students day on Friday?




I am! Bummer about the weather though.



New to the thread, but how great was it that it was gorgeous all day?!?

How did everyone feel about ASD? Did it solidify anyone's decision? I'm all but ready to sign the check...

mm12
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby mm12 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:50 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
melanne89 wrote:
mm12 wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students day on Friday?




I am! Bummer about the weather though.



New to the thread, but how great was it that it was gorgeous all day?!?

How did everyone feel about ASD? Did it solidify anyone's decision? I'm all but ready to sign the check...



I was impressed with the professors and how happy the students are.

The only thing I am concerned about is the employment prospects from Pepperdine...

sschoolcraft89
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby sschoolcraft89 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Hey everyone!

I need a roommate! I went to Malibu this weekend, and while I was there my dad bought a townhouse. It's an adorable, newly renovated 2 bedroom place 7 minutes west of campus, just off the PCH. I think this is the ideal place for anyone looking to live close to campus! I have a cat, so if you are allergic this is probably not the best place for you, obviously haha. I would love to get this all figured out before I move, so if you are interested please email me! My address is sschoolcraft89@hotmail.com. I will be more than happy to go over details and send over some pictures!!

Hope to meet everyone soon!

salve5
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby salve5 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Hey Guys,

Also looking for a roommate. My name is Jeff Salvesen, 22 years old, looking to live in Calabasas, Santa Monica or Malibu. Seems like the going rate for two bedroom living in those areas is around $1,000 a month per person.

You can reply to this thread, facebook me or shoot me an email at salvese_jeff@bentley.edu if you have interest.

ryan6032
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby ryan6032 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Hey does anyone know if Pepperdine offers travel reimbursments to admitted students. I wasnt able to make it to asd, but still want to visit the campus before making a decision, and coming from New York a travel reimbursment would be a huge help.

edf2011
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:41 am

West Valley/Malibu Resident avail. to answer ?'s

Postby edf2011 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Lived in 'Bu for 10 plus years and am in Calabasas--feel free to ask any questions about the area.

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby arhmcpo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:51 pm

ryan6032 wrote:Hey does anyone know if Pepperdine offers travel reimbursments to admitted students. I wasnt able to make it to asd, but still want to visit the campus before making a decision, and coming from New York a travel reimbursment would be a huge help.


I don't know but why don't you call and ask. The worst thing that could happen when you ask is they say "sorry, we don't".

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby LS-boundNYC » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:46 am

Just deposited at Pepperdine! :D

lsquare
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:47 am

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby lsquare » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 am

arhmcpo wrote:
ryan6032 wrote:Hey does anyone know if Pepperdine offers travel reimbursments to admitted students. I wasnt able to make it to asd, but still want to visit the campus before making a decision, and coming from New York a travel reimbursment would be a huge help.


I don't know but why don't you call and ask. The worst thing that could happen when you ask is they say "sorry, we don't".



In my admission packet I got a form for a reimbursement. You just have to fill it out and send it in within 45 days of your visit. They don't cut you a check, but it says they will apply a $400 credit to your school account.

lsquare
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:47 am

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby lsquare » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Anyone else looking to live in Santa Monica? I'd like to find a 2 or 3 bed place, ideally with other females. If you're interested let me know! llee@hastings.edu

jmaustin
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby jmaustin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Well, I am not the type who would typically write in a blog. But I came by this forum and thought I could add some insight for potential future Pepperdine law students. I am currently a 2L JD/MDR (Masters in Dispute Resolution) student at Pepperdine Law.

First and foremost, law school is a big decision and a big commitment - Be sure that it is what you want to do! Talk to lawyers, law students, family members, etc. and make sure that the legal field is right for you. Second, gone is the days where a law school degree automatically gets you a good paying job. It is extremely competitive out there right now, and I think these stats may help you realize this.

This is the bio on Pepperdine Law from US News

Its tuition is full-time: $41,210 per year. The student-faculty ratio is 15.5:1. The School of Law at Pepperdine University has 88 full- and part-time faculty on staff. Of the 2009 graduates, 59.3 percent were employed at graduation.

So tuition alone is $41,210 and it gets you a 59.3% chance at getting a job upon graduation. Don't forget living expenses, which out here are going to run you at least $20,000 for a school year and summer expenses. Moreover, a lot of students have to enroll in summer school so that they can get credit for their summer employment just so that they can take out loans because they do not get paid by the firms that they are working for. So to give you a conservative estimate, you are looking at coming out of Pepperdine Law with about $150,000 in debt.

I do realize that a number of you on this forum have good scholarships, but realize that it is contingent on staying in the top 1/3. That means that the majority of you will lose your scholarships.

My final point is to look at Pepperdine's ranking. [It is currently 54th (I think)] Now look at the average LSAT score that it takes to get in here. With that score, you can get into a lot of good law schools that are ranked higher, that cost less, and that have better employment prospects. Moreover, I am going to make an estimated guess that Pepperdine's rank is not going to jump much higher over the next 10 years. Dean Starr left, and Judge Tacha is not the type of name that is going to bring high profile names to Pepperdine. So, if you have an opportunity elsewhere, please highly consider it.

Now, I know that this makes me seem like a really negative person, but that is not my intention. My intention is just to give you some insight that I wish I had before making a decision to come here. This is not to say that there are not a lot of positives about Pepperdine. There are great people at Pepperdine, the professors are great, and I have learned a ton. I am just not sure if Pepperdine Law is worth the investment. Weigh your options, and good luck with your endeavors.

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby arhmcpo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 pm

jmaustin wrote:Well, I am not the type who would typically write in a blog. But I came by this forum and thought I could add some insight for potential future Pepperdine law students. I am currently a 2L JD/MDR (Masters in Dispute Resolution) student at Pepperdine Law.

First and foremost, law school is a big decision and a big commitment - Be sure that it is what you want to do! Talk to lawyers, law students, family members, etc. and make sure that the legal field is right for you. Second, gone is the days where a law school degree automatically gets you a good paying job. It is extremely competitive out there right now, and I think these stats may help you realize this.

This is the bio on Pepperdine Law from US News

Its tuition is full-time: $41,210 per year. The student-faculty ratio is 15.5:1. The School of Law at Pepperdine University has 88 full- and part-time faculty on staff. Of the 2009 graduates, 59.3 percent were employed at graduation.

So tuition alone is $41,210 and it gets you a 59.3% chance at getting a job upon graduation. Don't forget living expenses, which out here are going to run you at least $20,000 for a school year and summer expenses. Moreover, a lot of students have to enroll in summer school so that they can get credit for their summer employment just so that they can take out loans because they do not get paid by the firms that they are working for. So to give you a conservative estimate, you are looking at coming out of Pepperdine Law with about $150,000 in debt.

I do realize that a number of you on this forum have good scholarships, but realize that it is contingent on staying in the top 1/3. That means that the majority of you will lose your scholarships.

My final point is to look at Pepperdine's ranking. [It is currently 54th (I think)] Now look at the average LSAT score that it takes to get in here. With that score, you can get into a lot of good law schools that are ranked higher, that cost less, and that have better employment prospects. Moreover, I am going to make an estimated guess that Pepperdine's rank is not going to jump much higher over the next 10 years. Dean Starr left, and Judge Tacha is not the type of name that is going to bring high profile names to Pepperdine. So, if you have an opportunity elsewhere, please highly consider it.

Now, I know that this makes me seem like a really negative person, but that is not my intention. My intention is just to give you some insight that I wish I had before making a decision to come here. This is not to say that there are not a lot of positives about Pepperdine. There are great people at Pepperdine, the professors are great, and I have learned a ton. I am just not sure if Pepperdine Law is worth the investment. Weigh your options, and good luck with your endeavors.


Hey - just curious why you did the MDR? I understand it is great for professionals who have been working for awhile but I don't know how you feel about the value as a law student? I generally recommend to incoming students not to pursue a MDR because of its large price tag and my feelings that it is more beneficial to practicing attorneys plus the fact that you can take the same classes by pursuing a Certificate in Straus which doesn't cost anything extra.

Also I would point out that the employed at graduation rate, which while pretty accurate on the whole does not account for LLMS (roughly 5% of graduates) or DAs-PDs-City Attorneys-AG's or other CA state jobs which do not hire applicants until you pass the bar - hence the 9 month employment statistic also being provided.

I agree with the overall message that you should think long and hard about attending a law schools which is a 3yr commitment and large investment; this is especially true for those of you planning on attending at sticker and have no savings, family support, etc.

jmaustin
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby jmaustin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Initially, I chose to pursue my MDR sice the program is ranked #1 and it required only 18 additional units. I also thought that the practical communication skills that I would learn would be valuable as an attorney. It turns out that the skills have been incredibly valuable. Being able to effectively communicate in the face of conflict is the heart of an attorney's role, and that is what the MDR program teaches. Moreover, the professors are great and students are top notch. I do agree with your point that JD students should simply pursue the certificate program. You will learn the same material for a cheaper pricetag, but the drawback is that you will not be recognized for getting a Masters degree.

Han_Shot_First
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Re: Pepperdine Law Class of 2014

Postby Han_Shot_First » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Can someone comment on how long it took to hear back from Pepperdine? I applied in January and have not heard back yet.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest