Georgia State Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Sandro

Gold

Re: Georgia State Class of 2014

Post by Sandro » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:55 pm

uwgbluedevil wrote:When did you start looking? late summer?
When I moved to ATL we went up a week or so before we moved and found it literally the last craigslist place we checked out.

uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Post by uwgbluedevil » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:21 pm

sent in my seat deposit and transcript on Friday. who else will be joining me in the Fall?

jbhotrails

New

Post by jbhotrails » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Sent mine in as well...

BamaGrad09

New

Post by BamaGrad09 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Sent mine in today.

aholcombe

New

Post by aholcombe » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:54 pm

as a 1L - we are automatically registered for our requisite classes, correct? We don't have to do anything?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BamaGrad09

New

Post by BamaGrad09 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:02 am

Yes. You just send in the form with your deposit and you're automatically registered.

mbutterfly

New

Post by mbutterfly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Current 1L here willing to answer a few questions. Fire away!

jbhotrails

New

Post by jbhotrails » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:44 pm

I know it's been asked before...but could you recommend good places to live as a 1L??

mbutterfly

New

Post by mbutterfly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Anywhere within a MARTA station is recommended. Places like Post-gardens, avondale estates, post-lindbergh, and generally anywhere in Buckhead are good choices. One can usually live anywhere in Atlanta as long as it is by a MARTA station because there is a really convenient MARTA station (little 5 points) that you can walk to the law school from. Single apartments (1 bedroom/bath) that are walking distance to the law school generally cost between $800-950 a month in rent if you are interested in that.

I recommend just spending a weekend on google, apartment finder, or even craiglists to find places in Buckhead, Virginia Highlands, or near GSU campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Post by uwgbluedevil » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:16 pm

mbutterfly wrote:Current 1L here willing to answer a few questions. Fire away!
do you know if the school does anything regarding helping people find roommates? like with other law students or graduate students

BeaverHunter

New

Post by BeaverHunter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:06 pm

If anybody is looking for a place to live, I have a loft for rent walking distance to campus. It is about 600ft^2, studio plan, recently renovated, cool area (Castleberry Hill). Rent is $775 monthly and includes internet access and parking. PM or call if interested (404-644-9063). I'm starting the PT program in the fall so you will be dealing with a colleague.

zdayar

New

Post by zdayar » Sun May 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Hello all,

I will be attending GSU in the Fall. Any Atlanta residents or current students out there who can answer some questions on Atlanta neighborhoods? I will be moving from NC with my husband so we are selling our house here and buying in Atlanta. I was wondering what neighborhoods/areas have the following features:
- Not too far from campus (inside the 285 beltway for sure -- on Marta line preferred)
- Access to green outdoor space (a big must for my husband since he is a trail runner). Someone mentioned to me that Atlanta doesn't have much in terms of parks and greenways, etc. Is that true? Looking online I see there is a PATH system of greenways but not very close to the central town.
- Lower crime rate --- not to imply anything about ethnic makeup of neighborhood because we would very much prefer a diverse neighborhood (ethnically, economically diverse would be best -- no gated communities).

We don't have kids, so school system is not a concern at all. If anyone can help out, that would be great.

Thanks!

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Mon May 09, 2011 2:58 pm

zdayar wrote:Hello all,

I will be attending GSU in the Fall. Any Atlanta residents or current students out there who can answer some questions on Atlanta neighborhoods? I will be moving from NC with my husband so we are selling our house here and buying in Atlanta. I was wondering what neighborhoods/areas have the following features:
- Not too far from campus (inside the 285 beltway for sure -- on Marta line preferred)
- Access to green outdoor space (a big must for my husband since he is a trail runner). Someone mentioned to me that Atlanta doesn't have much in terms of parks and greenways, etc. Is that true? Looking online I see there is a PATH system of greenways but not very close to the central town.
- Lower crime rate --- not to imply anything about ethnic makeup of neighborhood because we would very much prefer a diverse neighborhood (ethnically, economically diverse would be best -- no gated communities).

We don't have kids, so school system is not a concern at all. If anyone can help out, that would be great.

Thanks!
I'd check out the Decatur area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Wed May 11, 2011 4:23 pm

That's a great list of things you're wanting. Hitting all of them depends on how much you're willing to spend and whether you want to buy or rent. It is a buyer's market in Atlanta right now, though, so either way is fairly affordable compared to the rest of the US.

In general you won't go wrong with the city of Decatur or Avondale Estates, the neighborhoods of Inman Park, Candler Park, Poncey-Highlands, Virginia Highlands, Midtown or Cabbagetown. These areas are all both established and trendy, fairly diverse (though Atlanta is quite gentrified in general), a long ways away from the gated cookie-cutter neighborhoods, and near some large parks and/or green areas. PATH is okay for running, but your husband will quickly discover its limitations. He should join a running club (Hash House, Atlanta Track Club, etc.) to find the best trails, though in any of the above areas he'll see numerous fellow runners almost any time of day. Feel free to PM if you want more specifics!

BamaGrad09

New

Post by BamaGrad09 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:11 pm

zdayar wrote:Hello all,

Thanks!
My SO and I just got a place in Midtown today and we'll be moving in about 2 1/2 weeks. It fits the bill. We're within two blocks of the North Avenue MARTA station. I'll have a 5 minute ride to campus on the train. I'll be within walking distance of Piedmont Park, which is about as good as green space gets ITP. Atlanta is a major city, so there will be crime, but it's not rampant in the Midtown area. Depending on your budget, check out Alexander on Ponce, Camden Midtown, Savannah Midtown, and Post Biltmore. They range from really cheap (Savannah Midtown) to not so cheap (Post Biltmore).

aliciah

New

Post by aliciah » Sat May 28, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm attending in the fall, living in Decatur/Virginia Highlands right by Emory. Will anyone else be in that area? Does anyone else feel like GSU is not really doing anything to let its students connect and just keeping us in the dark on lots of stuff?

BamaGrad09

New

Post by BamaGrad09 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:38 pm

We're not really being kept in the dark about anything. All of the orientation info and just about anything else you need to know is on their website.

http://law.gsu.edu/3205.html

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GSU1

New

Post by GSU1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Question for anyone. Does your PAWS account show a balance or class schedule yet? Mine isn't showing anything. Just want to make sure I don't need to call them asap. Thanks.

uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Post by uwgbluedevil » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:43 pm

GSU1 wrote:Question for anyone. Does your PAWS account show a balance or class schedule yet? Mine isn't showing anything. Just want to make sure I don't need to call them asap. Thanks.

My schedule is showing and i have an account balance now that i guess you can pay tuition, but im waiting on financial aid. Did you check the classes tab in PAWS?

GSU1

New

Post by GSU1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Not showing anything on mine. I guess I need to give them a call on Monday.

CaptainSemantics

New

Post by CaptainSemantics » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:16 am

I know some folks have talked about places to rent, and I think someone has even talked about buying. I wanted to throw in a plug for my neighborhood, Brookhaven. We're just north of Buckhead, and we've got a MARTA stop at Peachtree and Dresden. My husband and I have lived here for about 5 or 6 years and we love our neighborhood. Quick access to Publix and Kroger for groceries, big parking lot at the MARTA stop so you can drive to MARTA and take the train down, and if you're renting, the Post Brookhaven is huge and usually has okay rents. Also plenty of duplexes/condos in the area that rent, and with Dekalb's latest reset of property assessments, you may be able to find a house a little cheaper if you're looking to buy. Fancy, up-to-date houses will run around $250-$300K; we recently purchased ours via a short sale for $160K, and put in about $20K to get it back to normal. (Although I would only recommend going foreclosure/short sale if you have a spouse willing to do most of the work while you're in school.)

Part-Time, second year 1L here; if you've got any questions about the night program, just ask.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LegalEagle2014

New

Post by LegalEagle2014 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”