GW Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Naked Dude

Silver

Re: GW Law Class of 2014

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:22 pm

Any big deposit coming up this month? My friends at other schools are talking about it.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 pm

schooner wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:Figured it was time for me to join this thread...anyone have some housing info? I am trying to do this online and I saw Columbia Plaza and was wondering if anyone had some info on it?
Have you done a search in the forums? I remember reading a few mentions about Columbia Plaza.

I just looked at the floorplans - http://www.columbiaplaza.net/floorplans.php These apartments are really expensive! You might be better off looking for a room on craigslist, depending on your need to live close by and your budget. (In the GW 1L answering your questions thread, there's a map of DC neighborhoods and which areas to avoid.)
Yeah I looked through the forum search and found a pretty decent discussion on different buildings in foggy bottom and found the one I may live in though that too is expensive :? I guess I need to decide where I value being close to the school or saving some more $$...I'm leaning close to the school 1L and then expanding out for the 2nd and 3rd year but would like to hear others thoughts on this

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:56 pm

justhockey31 wrote:
schooner wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:Figured it was time for me to join this thread...anyone have some housing info? I am trying to do this online and I saw Columbia Plaza and was wondering if anyone had some info on it?
Have you done a search in the forums? I remember reading a few mentions about Columbia Plaza.

I just looked at the floorplans - http://www.columbiaplaza.net/floorplans.php These apartments are really expensive! You might be better off looking for a room on craigslist, depending on your need to live close by and your budget. (In the GW 1L answering your questions thread, there's a map of DC neighborhoods and which areas to avoid.)
Yeah I looked through the forum search and found a pretty decent discussion on different buildings in foggy bottom and found the one I may live in though that too is expensive :? I guess I need to decide where I value being close to the school or saving some more $$...I'm
leaning close to the school 1L and then expanding out for the 2nd and 3rd year but would
like to hear others thoughts on this
That is my plan as well. I am probably going to move out to Clarendon/Courthouse/Rosslyn
area for 2L and 3L and possibly find roommates to make the rent much cheaper. Also you
might save a bit on transportation costs living closer to the school? I was looking at the Metro prices and I couldn't find a monthly pass or one that is cheaper (just a card you load money onto to pay the fare) - although does anyone know if they have a student discount or anything?

I am living close because I figure I can always run to the library when/if I need to, I can be close to other 1Ls to get together for going over practice tests and things, etc.
Last edited by queenlizzie13 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:03 am

Yeah I like the idea of being close to school and other 1Ls for studying/practice exams/general freaking out...paying over $1500/month will not be fun though

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:05 am

queenlizzie13 wrote: Also you
might save a bit on transportation costs living closer to the school? I was looking at the
Metro prices and I couldn't find a monthly pass or one that is cheaper (just a card you load money onto to pay the fare) - although does anyone know if they have a student discount or anything?
Metro used to have a monthly pass, but they discontinued it. The only thing you can really do is get a Smartrip card instead of paying for a new farecard each time. It costs 5 bucks to buy, but it's easier to keep track of and you can go negative on it by a couple bucks, so need to worry if you're a little short on change one day.

The fares have skyrocketed though. When I was in undergrad (just 2-3 years ago), we were paying under 2 bucks on the weekends to go into DC. Now the cheapest fare is like 3.50 something.

As for student discount, I've never heard of them having it. I don't think they do.

*edit* I looked it up and they have a student card for dc residents who go to school in DC, but it's under the children's section so I'm not sure if you can get it as a grad student.
Last edited by law4vus on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:09 am

justhockey31 wrote:Yeah I like the idea of being close to school and other 1Ls for studying/practice exams/general freaking out...paying over $1500/month will not be fun though
+1. I've never paid above $500 for rent after my freshman year in undergrad...

And sucks about the metro not having a monthly pass + raising prices...I thought it seemed a bit pricey when I went over to dc to visit in November and in March.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:25 am

This morning I saw this under "what are your favorte rejection letters" in a WP article --

http://www.washingtonpost.com/conversat ... ssion.html

"SillyPirate" - I applied to GW Law School a few years ago. That was my reach application, but it was still realistic considering my LSAT score and the law schools I got into. In response, GW sent me information about their paralegal program.
7/13/2011 7:54:36 PM EDT

:lol: Way to keep it classy, GW.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Metro --
I don't think GWU has a student discount. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122024615153 WMATA, the transit authority, always seems to be in a state of budgetary distress, so a discount program is not likely to happen any time soon.

If you take the rail, you'll probably pay $4-$6 round trip per day. There are all sorts of surcharges depending on the time of the day you swipe your card to enter. The bus costs $1.50 per two-hour window, with unlimited free bus transfers. And each time you transfer, you "reset" the two hour clock.

PS - If you take the rail, avoid the first and last cars.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:55 pm

schooner wrote:Metro --
I don't think GWU has a student discount. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122024615153 WMATA, the transit authority, always seems to be in a state of budgetary distress, so a discount program is not likely to happen any time soon.

If you take the rail, you'll probably pay $4-$6 round trip per day. There are all sorts of surcharges depending on the time of the day you swipe your card to enter. The bus costs $1.50 per two-hour window, with unlimited free bus transfers. And each time you transfer, you "reset" the two hour clock.

Reason for this? Bad personal experience that has left you scarred forever?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:11 pm

justhockey31 wrote:
schooner wrote:Metro --

Reason for this? Bad personal experience that has left you scarred forever?
A few years ago, there was a devastating accident in which one train crashed into the one in front of it. The first and last cars, which folded into each other like an accordion, had the heaviest casualties.

Most days I don't think twice about using the metro; it's still one of the best rail systems in the country. And I sometimes still get on the first/last cars if there's a rush to get in before the doors close. (The sliding doors do NOT retract like elevators, by the way.) But my memory of the accident does make me pause.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:12 pm

annnddddddd I'm never taking the metro :shock: That is crazy sad though

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:14 pm

justhockey31 wrote:annnddddddd I'm never taking the metro :shock: That is crazy sad though
You won't be able to avoid using it. Even if you have a car, metro is still the best way to get around DC. It's really not a big deal. Just stick to the middle cars. And don't talk to strangers.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:35 pm

schooner wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:annnddddddd I'm never taking the metro :shock: That is crazy sad though
You won't be able to avoid using it. Even if you have a car, metro is still the best way to get around DC. It's really not a big deal. Just stick to the middle cars. And don't talk to strangers.
DC native and current resident here. Let me just say that of all the issues with Metro, safety is by far the least important issue for day-to-day life. The crash was several years ago and I believe was the result of faulty sensors. The cars are all manually operated now and are required to pull to the very front of the station. The likelihood that something like that happens again is extremely low. If you avoid the Metro for this reason, you may as well never leave your house.

Issues you will encounter include:

-Door malfunction delays - This occurs when the doors on an overcrowded train can't close and they are forced to unload the entire train. Fairly regular occurrence on Red and Orange lines.
-General delays - Track issues, train issues, whatever. Less frequent than door malfunctions.
-Track maintenance delays - Generally on the weekend, there will be track sharing and trains will come every 20-30 minutes
-Escalators out of service - Happens constantly, and all the time at Foggy Bottom (although I think they fixed this?)
-Tourists standing on the left side of the escalators that do work

For a good blog on these issues (and many others) check out this blog: http://unsuckdcmetro.blogspot.com/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:28 pm

A little more Metro advice: Twitter is generally a really good way to stay apprised of Metro dysfunction. The aforementioned Unsuck DC Metro has a good feed at @unsuckdcmetro and Metro's official feed is @metroopensdoors. Other local blog Twitter feeds do a decent job of passing on information about major events.

If you need to take the bus, you can get a NextBus app which uses GPS to estimate arrival times. It's good stuff.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:30 pm

If we're talking about the red line accident during the summer of 2009, I'm pretty sure the driver was texting (or something) and crashed into train in front of it.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Huh just looked it up-maybe not. I don't live in DC but I interned at Capitol Hill that summer. The early scuttlebutt was driver error, but maybe that was disproven. I'm no longer in the DC loop.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Naked Dude wrote:If we're talking about the red line accident during the summer of 2009, I'm pretty sure the driver was texting (or something) and crashed into train in front of it.
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=&sid=1702179
WTOP wrote:Metro General Manager John Catoe tells WTOP the cell phone was not an issue.

"We know where her cell phone was -- it was not on her. It was in a backpack."

He says all signs are showing that the operator did everything she could to prevent the crash.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Naked Dude wrote:If we're talking about the red line accident during the summer of 2009, I'm pretty sure the driver was texting (or something) and crashed into train in front of it.
That was the Metrolink crash in LA.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:10 pm

On a brighter note...anyone else living in the Savoy?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:01 pm

justhockey31 wrote:On a brighter note...anyone else living in the Savoy?
So you decided to join me there? :D

When do you move in? I am arriving on August 2nd, but will be staying with friends for a couple of days. The lease doesn't start until the 6th. Looking forward to some of the happy hours...I feel like I am missing out!

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Well I am deciding right now...I have one of them "on hold" for the weekend but I am considering there and also 1500 Massachusetts Avenue Apartments. I feel like I can't pass on a pool though 8)

ps - happy hours are a must

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:15 pm

justhockey31 wrote: I feel like I can't pass on a pool though 8)
I'd really like a pool too, though I'm guessing there are only like 3/4 months of the school year where anybody actually goes in (unless it has a pool heater which is like the best thing god ever invented).

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 pm

I have heard the fall/summer in DC is BRUTAL though and if I plan to stay during the summer I am all for it

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
justhockey31 wrote: I feel like I can't pass on a pool though 8)
I'd really like a pool too, though I'm guessing there are only like 3/4 months of the school year where anybody actually goes in (unless it has a pool heater which is like the best thing god ever invented).
Pretty much the guidelines for pools in this area is that they open around Memorial Day and close around Labor Day.

As for DC summers being brutal, yeah. The thing is is that we get both high temperatures and high humidity, which makes it suck really hard. Nothing worse than being hot AND clammy.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:09 pm

law4vus wrote: Nothing worse than being hot AND clammy.
You, sir, have obviously not spent many summers in the south surrounded by swamps. Hot + clammy + mosquitoes. Getting eaten alive every day out here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”