Stetson Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
swellsrise

New

Stetson Class of 2014

Post by swellsrise » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Who else is going to be on the beach in the Stetson library this fall?

drummerboy

Silver

Re: Stetson Class of 2014

Post by drummerboy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:24 pm

got in but waiting for package via snail mail. hoping to receive scholly info. what are your thoughts about attending stetson. im from s fl and hope to stay in fl.

KCBUFF

New

Post by KCBUFF » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:06 am

I registered late in cycle, but I love stetson, so if I get some scholarship It will be my choice

swellsrise

New

Post by swellsrise » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:34 am

From what I hear, it's a good school. I'm going down on Friday to check out the campus and surrounding areas. I'll let you guys know what I think when I get back.

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:52 am

Stetson is probably my third choice and my best hope at some $$$. I've got a friend down there now. He is a 1L and apparently loves it. Says the school looks like a post card. Virtually always warm and the beach a few minutes away. Also great legal writing reputation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Congrats on your acceptances!! I was also accepted and am eagerly waiting for the snail mail package. Any info regarding this school from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

swellsrise

New

Post by swellsrise » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:31 pm

Okay, I drove down to Stetson this weekend and here are my initial impressions.

The campus is beautiful. I was a little worried at first because the areas immediately surrounding the school are pretty rough. However, the campus itself is truly an oasis in an otherwise unimpressive part of Florida (too bad they don't have a campus in Fort Lauderdale). Swimming pools, palm trees, and beautiful architecture will make you feel like you are in paradise while on campus, while the drive back to Tampa, St. Petersburg, or wherever else you are headed will make you rethink everything. If you would like to see 40+ pictures of the campus, PM me see the post below. Also, the classrooms were very nice, the courtrooms were state of the art, and the courtyards reminded me of some of the nicer areas I've visited in Jalisco.

Campus - 9/10
Surrounding Areas - 4/10

*I think you will probably need to speak with a Real Estate agent to find some of the nicer areas to live in. Our student guide said she lived in St. Petersburg and loved it. It's a 10 minute drive to campus and it seemed nicer than Gulfport, and probably less expensive than Tampa.

Also, everyone we met on campus was very friendly. The admissions office was extremely welcoming and the students we met seemed to really like the school. Darren (in admissions) said, "You can live in a place with a good quality of life or not. It's really up to you. For me, there's no question." He then rattled off a list of restaurants and beaches that he recommends and we left campus with renewed optimism.

Overall, I was impressed with Stetson and I think if you can find a good place to live, then it would be a good decision. Before visiting, call the admissions office ahead of time and let them know. They will put you in a suite and you won't have to pay for a hotel. However, if you are coming in late like I did and you have to stay in a hotel at least one night, keep this mind. I stayed at the Marriott in Tampa and they gave me a $78 discount because they thought I was a student at the University of Tampa ( I said something to my fiance about "admissions" and they assumed I was talking about U. Tampa). Do what you will with this information. Also, tell them you have AAA and you can get another discount. We stayed in a $219 room for $119.

There are people on these boards who will make any Tier 3 sound like hell, but to be honest with you, just visit the school and decide for yourself. Also, if you have any information about housing, or any good places to live in the area, share it here. We didn't have enough time to explore the housing options due to a pirate festival shutting down the city (Google "Gasparilla").
Last edited by swellsrise on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Can you post the picures ?

swellsrise

New

Post by swellsrise » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Stetson Law School

Library

Jurassic Park tree. The side walk leads to a pool on the left.

For the rest of the images, go here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58931469@N05/.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:16 pm

just got scholly offer via fedex 10, 000/ year. stipulation be in good academic standing no mention of specific gpa. going up monday to tour.

CP2323

New

Post by CP2323 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:47 pm

If you guys have questions about the general area feel free to PM me. I am not a Stetson student but have lived in the Tampa Bay area for over 10 years. Currently I live east of Tampa near Brandon.

I attended Clearwater High School though which is just to the North of Gulfport.

julianeashley

New

Post by julianeashley » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:35 am

I just did my tour on Wednesday and absolutely loved the campus. I was accepted 2 weeks ago, but am still waiting for any scholarship info. When did everyone receive theirs?
Also, any advice on where to live? I am looking at an apartment in the condos across the street from campus but not too sure yet.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:32 pm

if its coming , it takes 2 to 3 weeks by fed ex. congrats. im in and i am trying to decide between stetson and miami. cant seem to get an entirely acceptable answer. what are your thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

julianeashley

New

Post by julianeashley » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:57 am

I'm not local... actually coming from Ohio... so I am not entirely sure the differences between Stetson and Miami. But, personally, if the scholarship comes through, I will be attending Stetson because I'm interested in Crim Law and with Stetson being #1 in Trial Ad it's definitely the best option for me.
I love the campus and the area seems pretty relax... great place to study. Congrats to you, too!

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:13 am

great to have you in florida. i will be visiting miami for asd ill have to make the decision between the two then im trying to secure some type of funding for miami

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:22 pm

julianeashley wrote:I just did my tour on Wednesday and absolutely loved the campus. I was accepted 2 weeks ago, but am still waiting for any scholarship info. When did everyone receive theirs?
Also, any advice on where to live? I am looking at an apartment in the condos across the street from campus but not too sure yet.
I live in the Golfview Condominiums across from Stetson. They're pretty nice, but the price reflects that. I really think they're about the best place to live during 1L because being able to walk to campus saves time and money, and you'll have class every weekday during 1L.

I'm probably going to move a little further away from the school for next year because I can make my schedule so that I won't have to drive to school everyday. If you want to stay near the school, I advise you to stay very close to the school or to venture a couple of minutes north up to South Pasadena. I wouldn't go south of the school very far. South St. Pete does not have the best reputation.

julianeashley

New

Post by julianeashley » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks for the advice! I was looking at Golfview Condos but had a difficult time because it seems most are bought by private people and then rented out instead of by the complex. I tried looking for comparable units (I was offered $1100 for a 2/2) but could not find another unit to compare the price.

I am working with a real estate agent to try to find the best place now, though, since I am from out-of-state. Best of luck in your search, also!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:32 pm

$1100 is pretty much the standard for a 2/2 in Golfview. My 2/2 is a little more, but it's an end unit with a huge terrace. There are 1 bedroom units as well, but there are fewer of them. I have heard of them running from $800-$950/month. And yeah, it's a pain trying to find them because they are all privately owned.

BurgerSalad

New

Post by BurgerSalad » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Seat deposit sent! Anyone else make the decision after the open house?

LawBound11

Bronze

Post by LawBound11 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:35 pm

I just got in today! This is my top choice, so I'm very excited!!

I'll be coming from Texas, so definitely a new area for me! Just curious, but is anyone looking for/thinking about rooming with someone?

julianeashley

New

Post by julianeashley » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:15 am

[quote="LawBound11"]I just got in today! This is my top choice, so I'm very excited!!

Congrats! I got in like Feb 22...booked my flight Feb 24 to visit that week... absolutely love it there!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lsatdalek

New

Post by lsatdalek » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:58 pm

LawBound11 wrote:I just got in today! This is my top choice, so I'm very excited!!

I'll be coming from Texas, so definitely a new area for me! Just curious, but is anyone looking for/thinking about rooming with someone?
I might be looking for a roommate. I'm still waiting on a few other schools but so far, Stetson is my top choice and I already sent in a deposit anyways.

hetherlys

New

Post by hetherlys » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:07 am

This is cross-posted in the other Stetson related forums.

I do a lot of real estate work and wanted to offer a contact if anyone was looking for rentals in the area.

His name is Bryan and he works for Smith & Associates in St. Pete, and his cell is 727-688-3652. I gave him a heads up that I was putting his information on here.

morganrmco14

New

Post by morganrmco14 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:22 pm

visiting tomorrow.... any places to look at for housing nearby besides golfview condos?

Jehu

New

Post by Jehu » Fri May 27, 2011 10:27 am

edit
Last edited by Jehu on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”