Suffolk Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
callen7828

New

Re: Suffolk Class of 2014

Post by callen7828 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks for the info and I was wondering if this is something usual, in the email she said she usually does not offer this to students(to change from day to evening), does this sound right or just a line from a law school.[/quote]

She probably means rarely are students offered a chance before admissions to switch from the more selective day program (LSAT 25-75%: 155-159) to the less selective evening program (I think their 25% is like 152-3).

Take away message is I think she likes your application. I say consider it, you could work to keep debt lower while PT and it gives you a chance to make sure law is your thing. Then, you can transfer to the FT day section. Here's the line right off the Suffolk website:

"Students who have completed the first academic year in the Law School, and who are in good academic standing, are eligible to transfer internally to either the Day or the Evening division."[/quote]

Ok I talked to admissions and was informed that they were offering the me evening program so now I have a decision to make between Suffolk and University of D.C. Anyone want to weigh in? D.C. has cheaper tution and I was offered a scholarship but I am unsure about what suffolk will offer as of yet.[/quote]

It comes down to location and debt. Suffolk is low on the totem pole in Boston, but U of D.C. is even lower in D.C. and in an area where even more law graduates want to work. Try to project your total debt and decide how manageable it is and in which area you would prefer to work.[/quote]

Well I recieved an scholarship to UDC and if I go to Suffolk I will be in the evening program so I will work and pay for law school that way instead of living off of loan debt. I guess I will have to make my decision soon enough though.

kevinwal

New

Post by kevinwal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:05 pm

I also recieved the same day-to-evening offer. I called Gail Ellis, sent a letter to switch to night division and was accepted the next day. Not 100% if I will go to suffolk yet becasue I am on the waitlist at 5 other schools, but suffolk is in my top 2 as of now.

R4NDM H3RO

New

Post by R4NDM H3RO » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Rising 2L here. I'm giving up my studio which is located in Beacon Hill. It's an 8 minute walk to the Suffolk Law building and the rent is pretty cheap too. My lease ends June 1st so I'm looking for someone to move in by then.

If interested, feel free to pm.

Thanks and good luck.

verbalizing

New

Post by verbalizing » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:55 am

I currently go to Northeastern and I'm trying to decide between Suffolk and Syracuse. I've toured Suffolk and was impressed by the facilities, also most of the lawyers I've worked with (ADAs) have gone there and praise it. Any thoughts?

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:04 pm

verbalizing wrote:I currently go to Northeastern and I'm trying to decide between Suffolk and Syracuse. I've toured Suffolk and was impressed by the facilities, also most of the lawyers I've worked with (ADAs) have gone there and praise it. Any thoughts?
Most people will say it comes down to where you want to work and practice. It's getting harder and harder to place into DAs offices around the state, but Suffolk still does to some extent (Class of 2009 numbers above) and as you mention there's a bit of a network in the Suffolk and Middlesex County DAs offices with both DAs being Suffolk alums.

I cannot speak for Syracuse's position in NY, sorry couldn't be more helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Came across the 2011-2012 schedule for 1L day sections (A-D) courtesy of a fellow TLS-er. In case anyone on here is interested, this thread is pretty dead.

Note it's preliminary and there's a blank for Crim Law II in section 1B. Crim Law is split into half-sections, same for Con Law second semester. School is where they got their primary JD, many have LLMs, etc not listed.

Torts: Glannon (HLS), Robertson (Columbia), Shin (HLS) , Eisenstat (Northeastern)
Civ Pro: Blum (SULS), Eisenstat (Northeastern), Simard (BCLS), Perlman (HLS)
Contracts: Wittenberg (Hastings), Wittenberg (Hastings), Ferrey (Boalt), Ferrey (Boalt)
Property: Brown (HLS), Beckerman-Rodau (WNEC), Beckerman-Rodau (WNEC), Jones (NYU)
Crim Law 1: Cavallaro (HLS) , Pokorak (Northeastern), Murphy (SULS), Ashe (Nebraska)
Crim Law 2: Blumenson (HLS), TBD, Callahan (SULS), Greaney (NYU)

Looks like, as you would expect, section A is their best professors, headlined by the E&E man himself Professor Glannon. In the past he's often taught two classes, a torts for one section and CivPro for another. Not this year, maybe he's working on a new book?

Ghenghis Khan

New

Post by Ghenghis Khan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:30 am

anyone looking for roommates?

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:14 pm

for anyone who got scholly offers, would you say that 163/3.4 would cut it for a full-ride?

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:23 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:for anyone who got scholly offers, would you say that 163/3.4 would cut it for a full-ride?
Pretty damn close. Be persistent (expect that your admissions letter will contain no $ offer, so you may have to email Dean Ellis professing interest in Suffolk to be put on the radar of scholarship committee).

At 163/3.4, I'd say $25k minimum, probably more, potentially full boat.

The rest of TLS would say RETAKE, fwiw

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FRFC3S

New

Post by FRFC3S » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Just got my letter. See you guys in the fall!

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:25 pm

They posted section assignments today.

Now it's time to see if they were telling the truth with not lumping scolly kids together. I know it's a small sample size on this TLS thread, but let's see if we can figure it out.

I got Section 1A (Glannon's section).

Lycurgus

New

Post by Lycurgus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:28 pm

I got section 1 D but I am on Yellow Ribbon scholarship.

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Lycurgus wrote:I got section 1 D but I am on Yellow Ribbon scholarship.
Cool, I've heard Perlman is a very good professor from a 2L friend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lycurgus

New

Post by Lycurgus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:36 pm

orm518 wrote:
Lycurgus wrote:I got section 1 D but I am on Yellow Ribbon scholarship.
Cool, I've heard Perlman is a very good professor from a 2L friend.
Yeah I heard all the professors in 1 D are good except for Jones. Do you have any idea how Suffolk does class rank (i.e. top 10% is top 10% from each section, or if its just highest GPA regardless of section)

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:47 pm

Lycurgus wrote:
Yeah I heard all the professors in 1 D are good except for Jones. Do you have any idea how Suffolk does class rank (i.e. top 10% is top 10% from each section, or if its just highest GPA regardless of section)
Good question, I'm pretty sure it's all together by GPA, not ranked within section. The answer might even be in this thread up a few pages, or in the Suffolk 2014 applicants thread, quick TLS search may help.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:35 pm

orm518 wrote:
Lycurgus wrote:
Good question, I'm pretty sure it's all together by GPA, not ranked within section. The answer might even be in this thread up a few pages, or in the Suffolk 2014 applicants thread, quick TLS search may help.
In terms of a ranking on a transcript (for job application purposes) they provide an overall ranking, but they also provide students with their sections rankings.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:36 pm

orm518 wrote:They posted section assignments today.

Now it's time to see if they were telling the truth with not lumping scolly kids together. I know it's a small sample size on this TLS thread, but let's see if we can figure it out.

I got Section 1A (Glannon's section).
I know 2 people other than you in 1A who have full rides.

I'm in 1B.
Last edited by ItsMyTimeBoston on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lycurgus

New

Post by Lycurgus » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the terror which is professor Bernie Joness?

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Lycurgus wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the terror which is professor Bernie Joness?

It's not looking good for you:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat ... id=1194066

"The most beneficial thing you will get out of this class is an excuse for failing the bar."

"Awful, awful, awful, awful professor. She does not know the law. She cannot teach. She cannot make a fair exam. She cannot answer students' questions. She stopped teaching in MARCH and had us watching movies in law school. AVOID BERNIE JONES IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!"

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:31 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
Lycurgus wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the terror which is professor Bernie Joness?

"The most beneficial thing you will get out of this class is an excuse for failing the bar."

"Awful, awful, awful, awful professor. She does not know the law. She cannot teach. She cannot make a fair exam. She cannot answer students' questions. She stopped teaching in MARCH and had us watching movies in law school. AVOID BERNIE JONES IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!"
Oh lord.....

Though as a point/counterpoint....perhaps some of the negativity can be traced to her subject. Property is widely discussed as the most abstruse 1L subject.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:40 pm

orm518 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

Oh lord.....

Though as a point/counterpoint....perhaps some of the negativity can be traced to her subject. Property is widely discussed as the most abstruse 1L subject.

The reviews of the other prop professors look better. Overall most of the professors aren't getting great reviews.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:46 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:The reviews of the other prop professors look better. Overall most of the professors aren't getting great reviews.
I took a self-interested look at 1A profs and they all seem to fit the mold of "good teacher, great guy/gal, hard exam"

Awesome :?

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:33 am

orm518 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:The reviews of the other prop professors look better. Overall most of the professors aren't getting great reviews.
I took a self-interested look at 1A profs and they all seem to fit the mold of "good teacher, great guy/gal, hard exam"

Awesome :?
We both knew that was going to be the case... :)

mj18

New

Post by mj18 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:06 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

I have a friend who was in 1D last year. All he said was every professor is great except Jones and that she contradicts herself when speaking different times on material that will be on the exam. Very scary..

Lycurgus

New

Post by Lycurgus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:26 am

mj18 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

I have a friend who was in 1D last year. All he said was every professor is great except Jones and that she contradicts herself when speaking different times on material that will be on the exam. Very scary..
I hate professors that don't clearly tell you what they expect from you on the exam. Especially when our whole grade depends on it. Might have to see about switching out of this section.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”