Michigan State Admits Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
sanfranlove

New

Michigan State Admits

Post by sanfranlove » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 pm

So, who is considering attending MSU, or at least one of the admitted students weekends?

PurplePirate

Bronze

Re: Michigan State Admits

Post by PurplePirate » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm definitely considering MSU after the nice scholarship offer. I'm probably going to visit on the 19 of March.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:01 pm

PurplePirate wrote:I'm definitely considering MSU after the nice scholarship offer. I'm probably going to visit on the 19 of March.
Ditto. Hard to completely ignore even though I know I would be stuck in Michigan.

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:06 pm

ran12 wrote:
PurplePirate wrote:I'm definitely considering MSU after the nice scholarship offer. I'm probably going to visit on the 19 of March.
Ditto. Hard to completely ignore even though I know I would be stuck in Michigan.
Haha I hear that

sanfranlove

New

Post by sanfranlove » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:17 pm

Definitely. A huge scholarship is hard to pass up...but the whole tier-3 ranking thing kind of freaks me out. And the fact that there's snow. haha. Does anyone know what employment prospects are like?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:23 pm

sanfranlove wrote:Definitely. A huge scholarship is hard to pass up...but the whole tier-3 ranking thing kind of freaks me out. And the fact that there's snow. haha. Does anyone know what employment prospects are like?
When I spoke to the asst. dean of admissions on the phone, she was very confident that they would rise to T2 this year. Speculation on TLS about the school's ranking next year has been in-line with her comments. So that's what made me consider the program in the first place.

As far as employment goes, most grads (54% stay in MI) but they are scattered throughout the US. I was actually impressed with the employment data: --LinkRemoved-- Overall, I have been very happy with admission at MSU. They have been nice, respectful, and relatively quick to get back to me.

Hope this helps!

PS I'm dreading the cold as well

Chouchous

Bronze

Post by Chouchous » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:24 pm

sanfranlove wrote:Definitely. A huge scholarship is hard to pass up...but the whole tier-3 ranking thing kind of freaks me out. And the fact that there's snow. haha. Does anyone know what employment prospects are like?
I'm sort of in the same situation. The scholarship really intrigues me, but I'm scared about the school being a TTT. Also, I'm from the West Coast and I'm not sure what the job situation would be like if I decided to return.

I applied only because they sent me several letters in the mail over the summer...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:25 pm

IM very interested in MSU, especially with the generous scholly offer. I will be at the March 19th ASW. It will be interesting to see the campus and meet the professors. I have a feeling that I wont be able to make a full decision until I visit all of the campuses that im interested in, but money will be a part of the process. ( If the scholarship did not have any strings attached, it would be a shoo- in).

I have only heard from the school released info about prospects, and while I want to believe them, I want more proof. What is really troubling me is the fact that there are a lot of schools in the vicinity of MSU, and while it does have a great name recognition, ( at least to outsiders), the fact that its a tier 3, and in the same area as a lot of other schools is somewhat nervewracking.

Congrats to everyone else that got in! best of luck on your final decision making process!

Chouchous

Bronze

Post by Chouchous » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:26 pm

I'm thinking about flying out there for the ASW in March as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sanfranlove

New

Post by sanfranlove » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks for the input everyone!

For anyone else that got a full-tuition scholarship--is it just the gpa/class rank stipulation? A lot of other scholarships say that you have to pay them back if you transfer to another school...has anyone seen any stipulations like this with MSU scholarships?

Visiting on March 25th :)

Chouchous

Bronze

Post by Chouchous » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:32 pm

sanfranlove wrote:Thanks for the input everyone!

For anyone else that got a full-tuition scholarship--is it just the gpa/class rank stipulation? A lot of other scholarships say that you have to pay them back if you transfer to another school...has anyone seen any stipulations like this with MSU scholarships?

Visiting on March 25th :)
My letter only mentions class rank.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:33 pm

the gpa stipulation is whats worrying me.
Id like to believe that I can get it, but when I calculated the cost of MSU after losing the scholarship, i had to do a double take ( 33k plus 20k for living expenses times 2 = 106k. ( I know you can get it back, but still....)

sanfranlove

New

Post by sanfranlove » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Agreed. It's such an expensive school if you pay full-sticker :/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chouchous

Bronze

Post by Chouchous » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:35 pm

northwood wrote:the gpa stipulation is whats worrying me.
Id like to believe that I can get it, but when I calculated the cost of MSU after losing the scholarship, i had to do a double take ( 33k plus 20k for living expenses times 2 = 106k. ( I know you can get it back, but still....)

do you know what the curve is?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:35 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Scary stats. Only 26% of salary stats available and those that they report aren't stellar. I wouldn't be surprised if MSU jumps up to T2 soon (probably largely benefited by the newly minted relationship with the university) but the long and short of it is that Michigan is a state with a crippled economy that I don't see rebounding soon. It's in a region where it's probably about the 20th best ranked school so you'd be competing with people from a lot of elite schools.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:38 pm

3.0 is median. I got that when I talked to the financial aid lady. Last year they gave out 152 schollys out of 255 ppl.( another bit fromt the lady). THe admissions and financial aid people are very helpful and nice. When she asked why i was asking, and I told her that I was trying to see how realistic it was to keep the scholarship, she told me that its always better to figure out the best and worst case scenarios ( i.e cost) and use that as a guide.

They have been by far the most helpful school, and have been in constant communication with me since I applied. They are very quick to return your questions, and try their best to help you, or guide you to someone who can answer the questions you have.

Chouchous

Bronze

Post by Chouchous » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:41 pm

northwood wrote:3.0 is median. I got that when I talked to the financial aid lady. Last year they gave out 152 schollys out of 255 ppl.( another bit fromt the lady). THe admissions and financial aid people are very helpful and nice. When she asked why i was asking, and I told her that I was trying to see how realistic it was to keep the scholarship, she told me that its always better to figure out the best and worst case scenarios ( i.e cost) and use that as a guide.

They have been by far the most helpful school, and have been in constant communication with me since I applied. They are very quick to return your questions, and try their best to help you, or guide you to someone who can answer the questions you have.
Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sanfranlove

New

Post by sanfranlove » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 pm

That's a huge amount of scholarships! How are they able to give that much out?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:46 pm

its the total amount of scholarships ( full ride, 75%, half, other). Ithink only 60 got full rides, and 60 got 75%. The numbers are on the website.

sanfranlove

New

Post by sanfranlove » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 am

I'm sort of in the same situation. The scholarship really intrigues me, but I'm scared about the school being a TTT. Also, I'm from the West Coast and I'm not sure what the job situation would be like if I decided to return.

I applied only because they sent me several letters in the mail over the summer...[/quote]

Same...I'm worried about how hard it could be to take the CA bar and move back to CA...

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am

sanfranlove wrote:I'm sort of in the same situation. The scholarship really intrigues me, but I'm scared about the school being a TTT. Also, I'm from the West Coast and I'm not sure what the job situation would be like if I decided to return.

I applied only because they sent me several letters in the mail over the summer...

Same...I'm worried about how hard it could be to take the CA bar and move back to CA...[/quote]

Prob not going to be an option unless you have connections.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:07 am

The bar really won't be your issue. It's the ability to get a job in CA or wherever else you might desire to take your degree that creates a problem.

You'll have a very difficult time taking an MSU degree back to Cali even with fantastic grades. There are kids at some of the best California schools with great grades that are struggling to find jobs right now.

sanfranlove

New

Post by sanfranlove » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:12 am

hooray for a terrible economy :/

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:06 am

the econonomy is getting better. while it wont be as great as it was back in the 90's or early '00 s, it will slowly be getting better.

If you go to MSU, understand that you will be practicing in michigan for a few good years afterwords. If you are from CALI, and dont have any, or dont make any connections at MSU, you may be percieved as a flight risk by employers. Its going to come down to, will I be willing and able to work in Michigan after law school? Or will I not?

You need to go to school in the region you want to work in.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:51 pm

northwood wrote:the econonomy is getting better. while it wont be as great as it was back in the 90's or early '00 s, it will slowly be getting better.

If you go to MSU, understand that you will be practicing in michigan for a few good years afterwords. If you are from CALI, and dont have any, or dont make any connections at MSU, you may be percieved as a flight risk by employers. Its going to come down to, will I be willing and able to work in Michigan after law school? Or will I not?

You need to go to school in the region you want to work in.
I think the unfortunate thing that has to be realized here is that even working in Michigan isn't/wont be much of an option. Michigan is a state that hasn't traditionally had a strong legal market, and is in an economic decline the likes of which has been seen in few other states.

There are/have been/will continue to be very very very few, if any, 80-160k legal jobs in Michigan.

Additionally, with the state of the economy, and the budget crises in the state government and in small town Michigan, there have been and will continue to be very few 30-60k PD, DA, etc positions available.

For the most part, people who go to school in the state of Michigan, in the past and currently, look to other cities in the region for the most lucrative legal positions. These days that extends to almost any legal position. The question of MSU vs. XYZ school isn't "am I comfortable working in Michigan for a few years." That probably isn't an option.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”