CU - Boulder class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ptblazer

Bronze

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Post by ptblazer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Maury Levy wrote:Just came back from a 3 week European hiatus from thinking about law school to my FinAid letter, and it doesn't have scholly information included. Sounds like that's standard for those who may not have signed all the forms until close to the deadline (IIRC, I sent around 4/3 and the FinAid letter is dated 4/6)?

I tried calling them up, but got tired of being on hold after 5 minutes, so I'll probably email tonight just to get confirmation.
good luck... I emailed someone at finaid last week and again yesterday to get response on that, just to make sure. Unresponded emails are quickly becoming an annoyance to me, especially to business email addresses where I feel like it isn't unreasonable to expect a response in 1-2 business days.

I'm sure finaid is swamped this time of year with graduation, admission, and current student. So if you hear something, let me know.

Maury Levy

New

Post by Maury Levy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:32 pm

ptblazer wrote: good luck... I emailed someone at finaid last week and again yesterday to get response on that, just to make sure. Unresponded emails are quickly becoming an annoyance to me, especially to business email addresses where I feel like it isn't unreasonable to expect a response in 1-2 business days.
The fact that their phone lines seemed pretty tied up is probably pretty telling about how busy the office, which handles the entire school, is currently.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Maury Levy wrote:
ptblazer wrote: good luck... I emailed someone at finaid last week and again yesterday to get response on that, just to make sure. Unresponded emails are quickly becoming an annoyance to me, especially to business email addresses where I feel like it isn't unreasonable to expect a response in 1-2 business days.
The fact that their phone lines seemed pretty tied up is probably pretty telling about how busy the office, which handles the entire school, is currently.
Were you calling the University finaid? I sent my email to the law school's financial aid.

Maury Levy

New

Post by Maury Levy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:19 pm

ptblazer wrote:
Maury Levy wrote:
Were you calling the University finaid? I sent my email to the law school's financial aid.
Yeah, that's the phone # listed on the document.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 pm

Maury Levy wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
Maury Levy wrote:
Yeah, that's the phone # listed on the document.
Oh okay, I should probably send them an email too although I don't know how much help they will be if my scholarship is still not on my award letter. I'm sure they are the ones that handle the dispersion of federal loans (which is why their number is on the form), but I doubt they will have any information about law school scholarships, other than what's on the computer screen in front of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:17 am

I was at the school a week or so ago and talked with finaid and the law school admissions office and they confirmed that most people's scholarships are not on their letters.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:06 am

upfish wrote:I was at the school a week or so ago and talked with finaid and the law school admissions office and they confirmed that most people's scholarships are not on their letters.
perfect, thanks

nathan.

New

Post by nathan. » Sun May 01, 2011 3:36 pm

does anyone know if they're doing tours this week? as in like tomorrow..

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Sun May 01, 2011 8:12 pm

nathan. wrote:does anyone know if they're doing tours this week? as in like tomorrow..
Official tours are over for the semester! (also learned this on the same visit!)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nathan.

New

Post by nathan. » Mon May 02, 2011 12:03 am

upfish wrote:
nathan. wrote:does anyone know if they're doing tours this week? as in like tomorrow..
Official tours are over for the semester! (also learned this on the same visit!)
AW WHAT? why would they stop before seat deposits are due :x Colorado you are failing me.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Mon May 02, 2011 12:17 am

nathan. wrote:
upfish wrote:
AW WHAT? why would they stop before seat deposits are due :x Colorado you are failing me.
The general admissions seat deposit was due April 15th (I think), but I also think they are either taking final exams right now or they just ended. In anycase they probably don't have any students available for a guided tour.

If you live in the area, you should still drop by and visit with admissions and do a self guided tour. Otherwise, a lot of us on this thread have taken the tour, so I'm sure most of us would be willing to try and answer any questions you have to the best of our ability. Occasionally a current student drops in to provide their educated opinions too.

nathan.

New

Post by nathan. » Mon May 02, 2011 12:40 am

yeah I was just admitted last week and have to get my deposit in by the 6th. so do you think I could just tour the building myself and show up to admissions? I e-mailed the associate director yesterday but no response yet.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 02, 2011 12:41 am

nathan. wrote:yeah I was just admitted last week and have to get my deposit in by the 6th. so do you think I could just tour the building myself and show up to admissions? I e-mailed the associate director yesterday but no response yet.
I mean, when I visited to take pictures I didn't tell anyone I was there or get a formal tour, I just wandered around the building (I think it was a saturday, too, and all the classrooms and such were unlocked).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nathan.

New

Post by nathan. » Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 am

cool thanks, good to know.

Outside Enemy

New

Post by Outside Enemy » Mon May 02, 2011 9:29 am

I've lived in Boulder for the last two years, as I'm a student at CU. I walk by the law school twice a day, yet I've never been inside.

I should really wander in there... I'm very likely to study at CU Law.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Mon May 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Anybody know the curve at CU?

rekopter

New

Post by rekopter » Mon May 02, 2011 12:41 pm

upfish wrote:Anybody know the curve at CU?
B+ median with no enforced standard deviation. (--LinkRemoved--)

Until this year there was a mandatory 84--B median and we were on a 100-point scale.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Mon May 02, 2011 12:46 pm

On this note, does anyone remember what the stipulations for scholarships were? I think it was just good academic standing, but I can't remember exactly.
I tried to look for that information, but I think the only place it was written was on the paper I signed and mailed back.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Mon May 02, 2011 12:48 pm

ptblazer wrote:
On this note, does anyone remember what the stipulations for scholarships were? I think it was just good academic standing, but I can't remember exactly.
I tried to look for that information, but I think the only place it was written was on the paper I signed and mailed back.
mine said 2.9 GPA at the end of each academic year...
(make copies of stuff before you mail it! :wink: )

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Mon May 02, 2011 12:51 pm

oldhippie wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
Yes that is what it was!!
Honestly it was the only thing I don't have a copy of and probably the only thing I wish I had a copy of.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Mon May 02, 2011 12:52 pm

oldhippie wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
So keeping your scholly is possible, which is neat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Mon May 02, 2011 1:01 pm

upfish wrote:
oldhippie wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
So keeping your scholly is possible, which is neat.
Yeah, if the median is B+, you'd have to be a fair bit lower than the median for a 2.9. One thing that is kinda nice is that CU front loads the scholarships so if the worst happends it doesn't sting as much as it would at other schools.

Maury Levy

New

Post by Maury Levy » Mon May 02, 2011 2:58 pm

upfish wrote:I was at the school a week or so ago and talked with finaid and the law school admissions office and they confirmed that most people's scholarships are not on their letters.
+1

Got a response from Kristine Jackson first thing this morning confirming, and I quote, "all is well - no worries." :mrgreen:

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Tue May 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Alright, guys, as much as I hate to say goodbye to the beautiful campus, the wonderful programs, and everything else I loved about Colorado, I am withdrawing this week. I got into UH Law, which is a perfect fit for me since I don't have to pay COL.

I will miss you guys so much! You were easily the most supportive people on this site! Look me up if you're ever in Htown. :)

Good luck at CU! I'm jealous but happy with my choice. 8)

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Tue May 10, 2011 8:34 pm

upfish wrote:Alright, guys, as much as I hate to say goodbye to the beautiful campus, the wonderful programs, and everything else I loved about Colorado, I am withdrawing this week. I got into UH Law, which is a perfect fit for me since I don't have to pay COL.

I will miss you guys so much! You were easily the most supportive people on this site! Look me up if you're ever in Htown. :)

Good luck at CU! I'm jealous but happy with my choice. 8)
I'm so happy you got into UH!! That sounds like the best option for you.

Good luck and let us know if you are ever in Boulder.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”