CU - Boulder class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
boilerup89

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby boilerup89 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:13 pm

the lantern wrote:
Longmont is so far, but the traffic is probably not nearly as bad as if you commute to Boulder from the south. I just can't imagine taking the bus for 1hr+ each way or spending that type of gas money. Broomfield is okay. I have some friends who live a little outside of Broomfield (closer to Lafayette) and it doesn't seem bad at all. Their apartment is way way nicer than my apartment in north Boulder and I also pay more. Because they live outside of Broomfield proper, they don't have to take 36 to get to Boulder. I don't know if I'd want to live any place you'd have to take 36 to commute though. The traffic is awful and it only gets worse when it snows. This winter wasn't bad, but some of my friends had 2+ hour commutes on snowy days. A lot of students who live outside of Boulder commit themselves to arriving first thing in the morning and not leaving until the early evening in order to avoid the ridiculous traffic. This is not inconvenient at all in times like now where everyone is studying 12 hours a day for finals anyways, but it has to be annoying early in the semester when there isn't much to do.

I've Google mapped the directions for all of the Places to the law school and I get the following results

Superior 16 Minutes
Louisville 18 minutes
Broomfield 18 Minutes
Longmont 22 minutes
Lafayette 23 minutes

From Pufer's comments it seems traffic isn't so bad but I can understand the occasional delay and the rare stop and go as is the case in any decent size urban area. These commute times seem pretty reasonable though. Where does the hour + time come from?

Also, I too would be interested in the remaining availability as the Kensington if you wouldn't mind.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:56 pm

If there is no traffic, all those times are probably pretty reasonable (not sure about Longmont, I've only gone north of Boulder a couple times). I don't have to commute every day since I live in Boulder, so trust Pufer more than me, but there is usually a lot of traffic during normal commute times. The really long times I was talking about were mostly for people who actually live in Denver. I'm from a small town in rural Ohio and I've never seen traffic anything like it is here, so maybe I overestimate it a little bit, but it can get quite bad at certain times and in certain weather conditions.

Friend who commutes every day says commuting from Broomfield (mind you she lives very, very close to the 36) takes 15-25 minutes on average, with it sometimes taking up to 35-40 minutes if traffic is bad. Bus takes around 30 minutes because it will make a few stops if you choose that route. She also says most traffic problems can be avoid by coming to school before 8:00a, and that most of the traffic in the evening begins past the Broomfield exit so she doesn't have to deal with it.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:08 pm

"Thank you for your interest in our community. We will have studio apartments available at the end of May and a one bedroom available at the end of June. More one bedrooms will be available in August. I am enclosing pictures of each unit. The studios are 520 sq ft and rent for $760, the one bedrooms rent for $875 and are 700 sq ft. Please call us if we can help you. 303-447-9144"

PM me with your email if you'd like the pictures and I can forward.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:18 pm

You can easily get from Longmont to Boulder in 20 mins and vice versa. 15 minutes from border to border once you get on the diagonal. The only time that it is going to take longer is traveling from Longmont to Boulder in the morning work rush and driving to Boulder from Longmont after work.

Usually if I was headed from Boulder to Longmont from 4-6, I would just wait until about 6:30 once the roads clear up. Even with traffic, the drive won't ever take you longer than 30-45mins, even in the snow.

Edit: Also, the BOLT (Longmont to Boulder) is only about a 20-30 minute ride depending on where you're going.
Last edited by Kronk on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:25 pm

boilerup89 wrote:What is the thread's opinion on the best suburbs to live in outside of boulder for commuting to CU.

I know Pufer perfers Louisville and I have a 1L friend who lives in Superior, but what about Longmont, Broomfield, or others? At what point is the distance too much?

I'm becoming disheartened with the housing choices in Boulder and feel I now may end up outside of town.

Personally I wouldn't want to live in Longmont, Louisville, or Superior. There is nothing to do in any of those towns for a young person (having grown up in between Longmont and Boulder, I've searched). In addition, Boulder is that much closer to the mountains, hikes, tubing down the creek, etc.

The thing is, you can find a three story townhouse in Boulder with two roommates and pay $550-600. I don't think it's that bad. You'll still pay like $400 / month in Longmont, you just won't be able to get to Pearl as easily, or hit a trail in ten minutes, or throw your mountain bike into your truck and be in Eldorado in ten minutes. If you guys are having trouble finding housing that cheap, I have some suggestions on where you might look and some property companies I have used in the past.

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Kronk wrote:The thing is, you can find a three story townhouse in Boulder with two roommates and pay $550-600. I don't think it's that bad. You'll still pay like $400 / month in Longmont, you just won't be able to get to Pearl as easily, or hit a trail in ten minutes, or throw your mountain bike into your truck and be in Eldorado in ten minutes. If you guys are having trouble finding housing that cheap, I have some suggestions on where you might look and some property companies I have used in the past.

I would love to have your suggestions! I love older places, and am currently potentially pinning down a studio in a repurposed house north of Pearl St. (I don't know the neighborhood designations.)

But it's a bit expensive compared to my rent here in Houston and I'd love to find more floor space or cheaper rent.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:16 pm

upfish wrote:
Kronk wrote:The thing is, you can find a three story townhouse in Boulder with two roommates and pay $550-600. I don't think it's that bad. You'll still pay like $400 / month in Longmont, you just won't be able to get to Pearl as easily, or hit a trail in ten minutes, or throw your mountain bike into your truck and be in Eldorado in ten minutes. If you guys are having trouble finding housing that cheap, I have some suggestions on where you might look and some property companies I have used in the past.

I would love to have your suggestions! I love older places, and am currently potentially pinning down a studio in a repurposed house north of Pearl St. (I don't know the neighborhood designations.)

But it's a bit expensive compared to my rent here in Houston and I'd love to find more floor space or cheaper rent.

Goss-Grove neighborhood is nice for the price and location. It's just south of Pearl Street. You can usually find something for around $600 or less if you have roommates and it will be pretty nice and quiet. You can walk to campus (10 mins to the rec center, probably 20 to the law school since it's on the far side of campus). One company that has a lot of places there that I like is Burger Property Investments (comes up on Google).

I've also used PG Rentals (also easily Googled) in the past and the landlord is nice and they have a lot of properties. I think I paid $650 and had my own bedroom in a 3br with a huge yard and a fence right next to campus. But the closer you get to campus the more expensive it is.

I would check with Burger first, then PG. The thing about Boulder rentals is that they generally book for August leases in February and March, so super early for most other places, so some of the cheaper stuff might be gone. I would look in the area just west of Pearl Street as well, as sometimes if you have some roommates you can get a room there for $500 or so. Avoid living on the Hill at all costs. Not only is it swarming with undergrads and parties to an extent that I didn't even want to deal with when I was in undergrad, it's also about $100-200 more expensive than other neighborhoods in Boulder.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 pm

For instance, this is my favorite neighborhood to live in as a student:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/search/ap ... bedrooms=3

Find two law roommates and you get it pretty cheap, you're a walk away from campus, right next to the Boulder creek and the creek path to jog / go tubing / drink beer. Ten minutes from the gym, ten minutes from the bars on Pearl Street (so you can stumble home without grabbing a cab) and it's a quiet, nice neighborhood.

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Kronk wrote:For instance, this is my favorite neighborhood to live in as a student:

Find two law roommates and you get it pretty cheap, you're a walk away from campus, right next to the Boulder creek and the creek path to jog / go tubing / drink beer. Ten minutes from the gym, ten minutes from the bars on Pearl Street (so you can stumble home without grabbing a cab) and it's a quiet, nice neighborhood.

The sad thing is that the greatest thing I learned from your link was that I can search craigslist based on specific conditions. I can't believe I've found all my apartments through CL and never noticed that feature. :oops:

Your idea sounds awesome as I love people and I love drinking! The only thing is that I have an SO that is likely to be following me in 2-3 months once he finds some work in Boulder/Denver. In college living w/an SO and roommates seemed par for the course, but not so much now. So, I feel like it would be inconsiderate to my roommates for him to move in later.

nathan.

Postby nathan. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:17 pm

In today via small envelope that looks like a rejection letter....then psych!

uhh deposit due in 10 days WHAAAAAAAAT?

boilerup89

Postby boilerup89 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:17 pm

upfish wrote:
Kronk wrote:For instance, this is my favorite neighborhood to live in as a student:

The sad thing is that the greatest thing I learned from your link was that I can search craigslist based on specific conditions. I can't believe I've found all my apartments through CL and never noticed that feature. :oops:

Your idea sounds awesome as I love people and I love drinking! The only thing is that I have an SO that is likely to be following me in 2-3 months once he finds some work in Boulder/Denver. In college living w/an SO and roommates seemed par for the course, but not so much now. So, I feel like it would be inconsiderate to my roommates for him to move in later.

I'm in a very similar situation...

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 am

y'all should room together, SO's and all! :)
and congrats nathan!

krad

Postby krad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:34 am

Hey OH, and other old friends :)

I thought I'd let yall know that I've decided to forgo LS for at least a year, if not indefinitely, and I'm currently interviewing at a new position that would be in... Boulder! Even though I now work about 15min away, I'd be right there.

Happy hour redo when yall get out here??

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:43 am

krad wrote:Hey OH, and other old friends :)

I thought I'd let yall know that I've decided to forgo LS for at least a year, if not indefinitely, and I'm currently interviewing at a new position that would be in... Boulder! Even though I now work about 15min away, I'd be right there.

Happy hour redo when yall get out here??

:?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!:
and hells yeah to happy hour redos!!!!!
that must have been a tough decision, but congrats on making it and yay for being able to hang out with us :D

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:31 am

I've been going back and forth since sending in my deposit. At this point, it's either CU next year or not law school. But more and more as people ask where I'm going and I say that I'm going to Colorado, I feel a bit like I'm lying, so it's starting to look like a year or two off for me. But we'll see.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 am

yikes guys, those are some tough decisions. If I had a better reason to not go to law school I might be right there with you, but at the present I'm not really happy with my current track and a dramatic shift in direction is needed. Good luck to the both of you, I'm sure regardless of the decision you make you'll be successful.

nathan.

Postby nathan. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 am

oldhippie wrote:y'all should room together, SO's and all! :)
and congrats nathan!

thanks! I ran through this whole thread last night and it seems like Colorado admits are pretty friendly.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 am

fwiw I am still waffling on CO. my friend who does PI law here said that I should take my 1/2 scholarship to South Texas, then apply to transfer to UH because it will be cheaper overall.

but i'm loathe to let go of CU's stellar academics and better networking (compared to STCL) in the PNW...

krad

Postby krad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks ptblazer! :) Good luck ledique, I PM'd ya.

Upfish- FWIW, I wouldn't head to STCL with the plan of transferring. If you read through TLS, the advice is always the same: Do not go to a school planning to transfer. It's hard to do, and you can't know ahead of time if you'll do well enough to transfer out :| Just a comment! Good luck with making your tough decision!!

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 am

krad wrote:Thanks ptblazer! :) Good luck ledique, I PM'd ya.

Upfish- FWIW, I wouldn't head to STCL with the plan of transferring. If you read through TLS, the advice is always the same: Do not go to a school planning to transfer. It's hard to do, and you can't know ahead of time if you'll do well enough to transfer out :| Just a comment! Good luck with making your tough decision!!

Yeah, I know the conventional wisdom on it. It's the reason I haven't settled on that option. It's just that down here I know lawyers, have an apartment, have an SO with a great job who's in the process of getting a degree, etc. So it just seems like the more responsible option financially.

but I'm not set on anything and am moving things towards CU instead of STCL just in case.

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:18 pm

upfish wrote:
krad wrote:Thanks ptblazer! :) Good luck ledique, I PM'd ya.

Yeah, I know the conventional wisdom on it. It's the reason I haven't settled on that option. It's just that down here I know lawyers, have an apartment, have an SO with a great job who's in the process of getting a degree, etc. So it just seems like the more responsible option financially.

but I'm not set on anything and am moving things towards CU instead of STCL just in case.

My opinion is probably useless in this matter, but have you considered taking a year in Houston, enjoying yourself while working there, waiting for your SO to finish school (I believe that was the timeline), and then apply to L&C or some other reputable school in the PNW? This is probably partially self-selection, but there seem to be few people that seem to move to the PNW from CU. This will also give you some more time for things to return to mean in the job market (not as great as a year like 2006, but still more normal).

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:27 pm

franklin14 wrote:My opinion is probably useless in this matter, but have you considered taking a year in Houston, enjoying yourself while working there, waiting for your SO to finish school (I believe that was the timeline), and then apply to L&C or some other reputable school in the PNW? This is probably partially self-selection, but there seem to be few people that seem to move to the PNW from CU. This will also give you some more time for things to return to mean in the job market (not as great as a year like 2006, but still more normal).

Because he works FT, he won't be finished for three years. I took last year off from school to give us more time to decide what to do. I got into Seattle U with a substantial scholarship, but we decided COL is too high in the PNW to move until we are both further into our careers.

So this is kind of how things shook out after some decision-making on those points. I don't think getting to the PNW from CU should be hard if I work 5 years; it could be harder from TX though.

It's all irritatingly complex. But I appreciate your taking the time to help me think it through! =)

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:16 pm

upfish wrote:
franklin14 wrote:My opinion is probably useless in this matter, but have you considered taking a year in Houston, enjoying yourself while working there, waiting for your SO to finish school (I believe that was the timeline), and then apply to L&C or some other reputable school in the PNW? This is probably partially self-selection, but there seem to be few people that seem to move to the PNW from CU. This will also give you some more time for things to return to mean in the job market (not as great as a year like 2006, but still more normal).

Because he works FT, he won't be finished for three years. I took last year off from school to give us more time to decide what to do. I got into Seattle U with a substantial scholarship, but we decided COL is too high in the PNW to move until we are both further into our careers.

So this is kind of how things shook out after some decision-making on those points. I don't think getting to the PNW from CU should be hard if I work 5 years; it could be harder from TX though.

It's all irritatingly complex. But I appreciate your taking the time to help me think it through! =)

I'm from Portland and I agree that moving to the PNW from CU wouldn't be to hard.
The PNW is full of young professionals moving there for employment and I don't see why the legal market would be any differen't. You'll just have the expected networking issues at first. Plus, there really aren't many law schools in that region and CU is "better" than all but one. Also, the Portland/Seattle culture is really unique (both good and bad, haha) and makes me think they would care more about you being a good fit than where (geographically) you went to school. Just my opinion.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:40 pm

ptblazer wrote:I'm from Portland and I agree that moving to the PNW from CU wouldn't be to hard.
The PNW is full of young professionals moving there for employment and I don't see why the legal market would be any differen't. You'll just have the expected networking issues at first. Plus, there really aren't many law schools in that region and CU is "better" than all but one. Also, the Portland/Seattle culture is really unique (both good and bad, haha) and makes me think they would care more about you being a good fit than where (geographically) you went to school. Just my opinion.

Thanks! This actually agrees w/my impressions somewhat, so it's great to get confirmation from a native, even if it's anecdotal. :D

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Just came back from a 3 week European hiatus from thinking about law school to my FinAid letter, and it doesn't have scholly information included. Sounds like that's standard for those who may not have signed all the forms until close to the deadline (IIRC, I sent around 4/3 and the FinAid letter is dated 4/6)?

I tried calling them up, but got tired of being on hold after 5 minutes, so I'll probably email tonight just to get confirmation.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”