CU - Boulder class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
krad

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby krad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:55 pm

To those that are wavering on LS right now: Have you been out of UG for a bit?

My thoughts/take them as you please: I read a lot of my doubts as cold feet since I have been working and making solid $ for the last three years; it's a lot to give up for uncertainty vs. the certainty of my current position (as much as I may dislike it sometimes). I think that each person needs to be very certain/willing to commit to LS and the debt, time, risk, cost-benefit, etc. that comes along with it...

I know that worst case scenario, I can come back to my current industry (and very likely my current company) and be able to pay off my debt, but I've lately been entertaining the idea of sitting LS out and going at it again if I decide it's truly for me. I don't want to let my cold feet get the best of me, though, and I am normally a risk taker, so I'm doing a lot of thinking, research, talking with attorneys in Denver, people at the LS's, etc.

eta: ArchRoark I'll PM ya in a bit!

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:08 pm

krad wrote:To those that are wavering on LS right now: Have you been out of UG for a bit?

My thoughts/take them as you please: I read a lot of my doubts as cold feet since I have been working and making solid $ for the last three years; it's a lot to give up for uncertainty vs. the certainty of my current position (as much as I may dislike it sometimes). I think that each person needs to be very certain/willing to commit to LS and the debt, time, risk, cost-benefit, etc. that comes along with it...

I know that worst case scenario, I can come back to my current industry (and very likely my current company) and be able to pay off my debt, but I've lately been entertaining the idea of sitting LS out and going at it again if I decide it's truly for me. I don't want to let my cold feet get the best of me, though, and I am normally a risk taker, so I'm doing a lot of thinking, research, talking with attorneys in Denver, people at the LS's, etc.

eta: ArchRoark I'll PM ya in a bit!

I used to want to get a Master's in Public Policy and/or Public Administration and still wonder if that would be the smarter route to go. My problem is that I need to get out of my job. It's a dead end job and I'm still only making less than $20k/year (I started as an intern).

BUT through this job I am almost guaranteed a law job because of certain connections from my boss...so I guess I don't see it as much of a risk?

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:10 pm

krad wrote:To those that are wavering on LS right now: Have you been out of UG for a bit?

I've been out of UG for two years, and in my current position for one of those years. I could definitely get rehired here post-LS if I wanted to do this type of work instead of legal stuff, but I don't really WANT to do that.

The opportunity cost is nearly meaningless to me because I'd be going to some kind of graduate school (probably an MBA if it weren't law school), and the earlier the better. I don't make loads of cash now, so the cost is not as great. I also have the benefit of an SO who can likely support us through school at CU, definitely at STCL.

I've been doing what I can talking to lawyers here in Houston, reading the internet, reading Getting to Maybe. I'm pretty sure I'm 80% committed to school; I just need to figure out which one, I think. Although the debt is a staggering consequence of attendance, and it's pretty scary. :shock:

krad

Postby krad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:31 pm

TBF, I don't know how many people are ever 100% certain on this decision... hopefully they're close though!!

It's nice to read other peoples' thoughts on the whole thing, thanks :)

LawSchoolPorFavor

Postby LawSchoolPorFavor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:41 pm

I'll also be 2 years out of UG by the time I enroll.

After about one year working as a paralegal, I knew Law School was the right choice for me because I grew jealous of the lawyers I worked for. I feel like experience in the industry has given me the opportunity to closely examine the everyday life of lawyers. Without it, I don't think I could come close to making a decision on whether or not I want to attend law school.

As for finances...
I told myself that all the debt would be worth it if I got into a T1 school. Since I already have WE and contacts in the industry, a top tier school is sort of like the icing on the cake for my career. If I hadn't been accepted to a T1 school, I had it in my head that I would only accept an offer for a school that would leave me with under $30k in debt. (As you can tell, my decision making process involved a lot of number crunching).

In short, trust your instincts but make sure you do your homework.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:58 pm

I definitely just have a case of cold feet. 2.5 years out of undergrad, For the most part I've done volunteering overseas, as well as spent some time unemployed since I graduated. Law school wasn't an automatic decision for me, I didn't have plans for law school in undergrad and it wasn't until more recently that I decided to pursue this route. My undergraduate degree leaves me somewhat limited and neither of the two common career paths interest me. If law school doesn't work out I'm right back where I am now, which is unacceptable long term.

I really believe that if I wasn't going to law school I would be looking at graduate school anyway. My problem is that I really enjoy school and don't enjoy working 9-5, which presents problems on many fronts, haha.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm coming out of undergrad, and I'm definitely hesitating. Everyone around me tells me that I should go to law school, so I've gotten so used to explaining why I shouldn't that I've almost internalized why I shouldn't.

DevilDaze

Postby DevilDaze » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Wow this board has turned into a soul searching forum. I echo everyone's feelings. It's nice to know I'm not the only one thinking this way, when it comes down to it there are no guarantees. Who knows what the future will hold, what the economy will be like in 3 years is anybody's best guess. I do think that TLS has helped me immeasurably in the fact that if I do go to law school, I will treat it like a job and bust my but because failure is a scary proposition. After speaking with others who are going to law school at admitted student days I feel in a way already ahead of them because of this site. I hope that the skepticism that I have acquired because of this site well serve me well in school and I think to all those working a shit job or one that they don't love or are making a lot of money at will have that added extra motivation to succeed in law school.

I myself am pretty sure I am going to end up at law school but I've though more about studying for and retaking the LSAT in June because I'm not in love with any of my options right now. Life is all about making hard choices though, and as someone who has traveled and volunteered with some of the poorest and less fortunate people in the world, it is truly a blessing that we have these opportunities and our biggest problems are choosing from so many different options. So I don't know what the right choice is but whatever I choose I'm going to go with it 100% and try not to think what might have been if I went to x school or did y.

I wish everyone all the success in law school or whatever you choose to pursue.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Just the fact that you guys are/might be at CU makes it a really tempting option. This is definitely my favorite thread! Nowhere else is anybody talking about doubts and stuff.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 pm

upfish wrote:Just the fact that you guys are/might be at CU makes it a really tempting option. This is definitely my favorite thread! Nowhere else is anybody talking about doubts and stuff.

+1
I wish traveling to CO was easier and cheaper for me. I would have like to have gone to April's ASD also just to meet some of my potential classmates. Having a good group around you cannot be overvalued and it has definitely contributed to my decision process.

DJsm20

Postby DJsm20 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Completely understand how some people are feeling about decisions right now. I am in the same situation. I am coming straight from undergrad and got so caught up with the law school process from lsat to apps to visits that it hasn't been til right now as deposits are due that I have had the chance to stop and really think about all of this. When I have asked for advice from people I know that are currently in law school they have all said make sure you know that you really want this. I guess I better do some quick soul searching too.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:01 am

DevilDaze wrote:Life is all about making hard choices though, and as someone who has traveled and volunteered with some of the poorest and less fortunate people in the world, it is truly a blessing that we have these opportunities and our biggest problems are choosing from so many different options. So I don't know what the right choice is but whatever I choose I'm going to go with it 100% and try not to think what might have been if I went to x school or did y.

I wish everyone all the success in law school or whatever you choose to pursue.

amen to this.

i feel very lucky to be older and have a different perspective. i've already done the soul searching and trying to figure out my life part about 10 years ago, it all is so much clearer for me this time around...
but i feel for y'all and it's really important to listen to your gut and really think and feel this through. and just know that whatever you decide, you are clearly motivated, smart, talented folks and you're going to be successful in your own ways, whether that involves lawl skool or something completely different. and who knows, 10 years from now, you may be in my position making the decision all over again with a new view of your life!

i do love this thread, i gotta say<3<3

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:50 am

DJsm20 wrote:Completely understand how some people are feeling about decisions right now. I am in the same situation. I am coming straight from undergrad and got so caught up with the law school process from lsat to apps to visits that it hasn't been til right now as deposits are due that I have had the chance to stop and really think about all of this. When I have asked for advice from people I know that are currently in law school they have all said make sure you know that you really want this. I guess I better do some quick soul searching too.

I did this too post-grad, but I was really bad at it and missed my deadlines, thus destroying any chances I had at admits, haha. The two years of winging it have really enhanced my perspective on life, though!

So if you get really cold feet, maybe see if you can defer and work for a year.

But if you don't get really cold feet, come to CU and hang out with us! :D

krad

Postby krad » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Dude! QL! I found your new favorite shirt! ;)

--ImageRemoved--

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:18 am

krad wrote:Dude! QL! I found your new favorite shirt! ;)

--ImageRemoved--

That's cute!!!

It is my new favorite ;)

krad

Postby krad » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:20 am

I am thinking about buying it, actually, haha. I found it randomly while looking at something running-related online, and thought of you! Too much time spent on TLS...?

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:39 am

krad wrote:I am thinking about buying it, actually, haha. I found it randomly while looking at something running-related online, and thought of you! Too much time spent on TLS...?

LOL. You should!
I need to save all the $$ I can right now for law school.
and there's no such thing as too much time spent on TLS :mrgreen:

LawSchoolPorFavor

Postby LawSchoolPorFavor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:12 pm

Just sent in my deposit!

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm looking for housing in boulder, anyone know of any available 1 bedroom properties I should look at? PM if you do, thanks!

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:53 pm

It looks like I'm going to be depositing on CU and UW for sure. I just got off the phone with UW and tried to bug them into getting me an offer before April 15th, but basically they told me that it was unlikely to happen. I just need to call and bug Dean Jackson if she doesn't reply to my email by tomorrow, and I'll be officially putting down two deposits.

But with that said, I'm only going to UW if they beat CU price-wise. That is basically a toss-up. If the prices are within 5k of each other, I'll be at Colorado next fall. I have a sneaking suspicion that UW won't beat Colorado. But hey, we'll see.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:57 pm

LeDique- At least UW's deposit is only $100 right? Good luck with the $ at both!

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:32 pm

krad wrote:LeDique- At least UW's deposit is only $100 right? Good luck with the $ at both!

That's the nice part. The bad part is continuing the uncertainty.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:53 am

LeDique wrote:
krad wrote:LeDique- At least UW's deposit is only $100 right? Good luck with the $ at both!

That's the nice part. The bad part is continuing the uncertainty.

hang in there....you have 2 great options, you really can't go wrong either way!

boilerup89

Postby boilerup89 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:07 am

After much introspection , including the consideration of waiting a year, and also getting tired of waiting on ASU to get their admissions in order I have decided to accept CU's admission and scholarship offer.
Seat deposit is going out this afternoon. It was a tough decision, but I'm thinking its the right one 8)

I guess this also puts me in the CU housing market. Anyone have any good leads?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:12 am

boilerup89 wrote:After much introspection , including the consideration of waiting a year, and also getting tired of waiting on ASU to get their admissions in order I have decided to accept CU's admission and scholarship offer.
Seat deposit is going out this afternoon. It was a tough decision, but I'm thinking its the right one 8)

I guess this also puts me in the CU housing market. Anyone have any good leads?

Congratulations on deciding! Housing is one of the biggest reasons I'm getting anxious about not getting any certainty. I really don't mind it on a personal level, I never really make up my mind anyway. I only mind because of having to find housing, etc.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”