CU - Boulder class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Maury Levy

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby Maury Levy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:55 pm

krad wrote:
Maury Levy wrote:We learned that people at CU aren't really competitive with each other. :wink:

How was the rest of your stay in Boulder? Were you still in town yesterday for the rogue snow?

Ohhhh yeah, for the others ITT: It randomly snowed for a solid part of the day yesterday (a little stuck on the ground but it's going to melt today) after being warm enough for me to lay out at my pool on Saturday. Such is Colorado!

Snow? Hah! No, I was at the airport by 10 or so. I saw that the forecast called for rain however, so I was thinking that it was funny that I was just missing the bad weather.

The rest of my stay was pretty good. Just kinda wandered here and there. Aside from driving to and from the airport, I didn't use my rental car at all since the town is so walkable. I did make it up the Flatirons for a bit of a hike on Saturday, which, of course, justified a Colorado-style pizza* at BeauJo's right afterwards. 8) I still can't believe the trailhead is literally a 30-45 minute walk from the law building. That's nothing short of amazing.

*Of course I had to ask the waitress what a Colorado-style pizza was first.

LawSchoolPorFavor

Postby LawSchoolPorFavor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:11 pm

can anyone speak to the neighborhoods that are in walking distance of the law school (for apartment hunting)?

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Sounds like the same impressions I had of the ASD in March, krad. I love sneakily ambitious people, so I liked that about the "laid back" thing.

Also, can someone PM me the admitted student password stuff for the website? I can't remember it and I want to log in and look at deadlines for deposits, etc.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:22 pm

krad wrote:
Maury Levy wrote:We learned that people at CU aren't really competitive with each other. :wink:

How was the rest of your stay in Boulder? Were you still in town yesterday for the rogue snow?

Ohhhh yeah, for the others ITT: It randomly snowed for a solid part of the day yesterday (a little stuck on the ground but it's going to melt today) after being warm enough for me to lay out at my pool on Saturday. Such is Colorado!

Your visit sounds a lot like my impressions of the school.

I heard it snowed from ESPN (the rockies game was ppd), haha. Someone on the team was quoted as saying "well thats Colorado for you." It made me think of this thread and the CO residents on here who has mentioned that about the weather a couple times before.

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:29 pm

ptblazer wrote:
krad wrote:

Your visit sounds a lot like my impressions of the school.

I heard it snowed from ESPN (the rockies game was ppd), haha. Someone on the team was quoted as saying "well thats Colorado for you." It made me think of this thread and the CO residents on here who has mentioned that about the weather a couple times before.

I was definitely at that game. I wasn't expecting snow flurries when I dressed for the ballpark, but it still made for a fun afternoon. :) [At the Saturday night game it was 74 degrees at the first pitch (high temp in the mid-80's)...]

krad

Postby krad » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:31 pm

I'm glad that others had similar impressions. Yes, CO weather likes to change it up (I love that)! Omega did you hit all three games??

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:can anyone speak to the neighborhoods that are in walking distance of the law school (for apartment hunting)?

Avoid "The Hill" unless you want to be in the heart of the UGs (I think The Hill actually shows up on Google Maps if you're zoomed in enough lol). Bananeez will be able to speak to this more, I'm sure. I'm thinking about going just North of Pearl Street or heading South a bit. I want to find an area that is quieter :)

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:38 pm

upfish wrote:Sounds like the same impressions I had of the ASD in March, krad. I love sneakily ambitious people, so I liked that about the "laid back" thing.

Also, can someone PM me the admitted student password stuff for the website? I can't remember it and I want to log in and look at deadlines for deposits, etc.

PM'd now! Thanks, guys. =)

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:12 am

Maury Levy wrote:
oldhippie wrote:so much fun tonight (and today :) )
much <3<3 to krad, bananeez, maury, eminem, and "the lurker" (whose username i forgot, sorry!!) thanks for entertaining the old lady :wink:

"Basil hayden best bourbon on earth small batch" is in my phone. haha

I had a fantastic time last night all!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
now drink some!!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:16 am

and my impressions....were similar to others...
i was ready to love it, so i'm probably biased....but the people i talked to, students and faculty, just seemed happy to be there and happy for the experiences they were having. our tour guide was very up on the journals and the clinics and did a great job of talking them up...the professors seemed very approachable and down to earth and i didn't feel intimidated by anyone. and i thought the mock class was kinda cool, only because people seemed engaged and into it...
the building was great, the campus is beautiful, and the freaking mountains.......wow......

and the weather was a TRIP! 80 freaking degrees and sunny as can be on saturday, then freezing rain to whiteout snow on sunday!! sat on the runway to de-ice and laughed about the hot weather the day before.....welcome to spring in colorado, it seems!

and the best part - WE FOUND A HOUSE and will sign a lease today!!!! :D :D :D :D the southerners are moving to south boulder!!

btw- TLSers, y'all are great, i was so happy to meet you and enjoyed your company immensely! thanks for playin :D

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:41 am

oldhippie wrote:
and the best part - WE FOUND A HOUSE and will sign a lease today!!!! :D :D :D :D the southerners are moving to south boulder!!

btw- TLSers, y'all are great, i was so happy to meet you and enjoyed your company immensely! thanks for playin :D

Congrats!

I'm actually wavering towards moving to Boulder cos it will be easier in the short-term and moving to Denver mid-semester/2L year, so I'm glad to hear that it might be easy to find something I like! =)

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:52 am

upfish wrote:
oldhippie wrote:

Congrats!

I'm actually wavering towards moving to Boulder cos it will be easier in the short-term and moving to Denver mid-semester/2L year, so I'm glad to hear that it might be easy to find something I like! =)

if you have a pet, it will be harder....but it can happen, so keep the faith!!!

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:11 am

krad wrote:I'm glad that others had similar impressions. Yes, CO weather likes to change it up (I love that)! Omega did you hit all three games??

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:can anyone speak to the neighborhoods that are in walking distance of the law school (for apartment hunting)?

Avoid "The Hill" unless you want to be in the heart of the UGs (I think The Hill actually shows up on Google Maps if you're zoomed in enough lol). Bananeez will be able to speak to this more, I'm sure. I'm thinking about going just North of Pearl Street or heading South a bit. I want to find an area that is quieter :)

+1
It's NOT going to be fun for a law student to live on the hill. Although it's tempting because it's close to campus, it's going to be very loud, party-central all the time. Plus all the houses are really run down from renters. My undergrad siblings (seniors) don't even go out there anymore. They go out on Pearl. Like Krad said, I think Pearl is the ideal area, but can be more expensive. I'm going to be living on West Pearl. With a law school roommate, hopefully! :mrgreen:

p.s. Was at the Rockies game on Saturday for their first win!! You guys will love the ballpark and team, they're so much fun. Also, the bus is super easy to take down and back.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 am

DevilDaze wrote:Hey all, just got to boulder. The weather is perfect! Looking forward to tomorrow. Is there a consensus on happy hour location? Looking forward to meeting u all even though I don't post as often as some of you.

hey!! i just noticed that you had posted, so now i remember the "lurker's" username :D
and now you should post more since we're all friends and such :mrgreen:

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:27 pm

So about how many people were at the ASD this past weekend? They told me at the March ASD that April's ASD is usually quite a bit larger.

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 pm

ptblazer wrote:So about how many people were at the ASD this past weekend? They told me at the March ASD that April's ASD is usually quite a bit larger.

When I showed up, the AdComs lady said they had about 80 RSVPd, but they'll usually get additional people who'll show up without RSVPing. So we probably started in the 90-100 range(?). After lunch we were probably down to 40-50 though. Food coma must have taken over or something.

Congrats on the house oh! When do you guys move in?

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:24 pm

as of now, the lease starts on aug 1, but they're gonna ask the current tenants if they have any interest in leaving early - they're all graduating so maybe we can move in july instead....hoping so!

calified

Postby calified » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 pm

upfish wrote:Sounds like the same impressions I had of the ASD in March, krad. I love sneakily ambitious people, so I liked that about the "laid back" thing.

Can someone please PM me this information too? I don't know where my forms are, but I need to make my deposit :)

DJsm20

Postby DJsm20 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Attended ASD and loved it! Boulder was amazing,Wolf Law Building was beautiful, library really small though. Thought information at financial aid/career development was eh so so but what really impressed me was the friendliness of current students and admits. Before my visit I think I got so caught up in rankings, job placement etc. that I forgot I can get what I want out of law school in a great environment with awesome classmates. CU just moved up as my top choice.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Malcolm Gladwell's Top 10 Law Schools (recent New Yorker magazine article):

1) Chicago
2) BYU
3) Harvard
4) Yale
5) Texas
6) Virginia
7) Colorado
8) Alabama
9) Stanford
10) Penn

Criteria included: LSAT scores 40% & Faculty Publishing 20% & Affordability 40%.(Republished in the March, 2011 The National Jurist.)
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Malcolm Gladwell's Top 10 Law Schools (New Yorker magazine article):

1) Chicago
2) BYU
3) Harvard
4) Yale
5) Texas
6) Virginia
7) Colorado
8) Alabama
9) Stanford
10) Penn

Criteria included: LSAT scores 40% & Faculty Publishing 20%. Unsure of other factors as I read a reprint in another magazine that did not contain the full article. Other factorsa may include diversity, academic support for students & quality assessment.

Note that Gladwell used data from 2008 and that CU Law tuition has been raised significantly since then.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Other law schools have also raised tuition considerably since 2008 as well. But, at least for now, it is clear what constitutes "the good old days" in terms of CU law tuition.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:42 pm

I just saw this one from yesterday:

As of March 15, 2011 Colorado Law had 3160 applications for its three-year, full-time program. The incoming fall class of approximately 180 students will be comprised from these applicants. This is up 12.7 percent over last year. According to an online story in the April 1 ABA Journal, the average drop in law school applicants nationwide is about 11.5 percent. At Yale Law School, the nation’s No. 1 ranked law school, applications were down 16.5 percent at its March 1 deadline, according to the Yale Daily News.

http://www.lawweekonline.com/2011/04/cu ... u-s-trend/

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 pm

bananeez wrote:I just saw this one from yesterday:

As of March 15, 2011 Colorado Law had 3160 applications for its three-year, full-time program. The incoming fall class of approximately 180 students will be comprised from these applicants. This is up 12.7 percent over last year. According to an online story in the April 1 ABA Journal, the average drop in law school applicants nationwide is about 11.5 percent. At Yale Law School, the nation’s No. 1 ranked law school, applications were down 16.5 percent at its March 1 deadline, according to the Yale Daily News.

Thanks for sharing Bananeez.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Aw, I feel special to be in the 180/3160! :oops:

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:14 pm

upfish wrote:

Aw, I feel special to be in the 180/3160! :oops:

Hahaha, I wonder with the increase of applicants if they are worried about getting more than 180 to matriculate. I'm sure they didn't expect this large of an increase at the start of the cycle (or maybe they did and adjusted accordingly)

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”