CU - Boulder class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
LeDique

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby LeDique » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:15 pm

Omega10 wrote:Who would be the best person to contact regarding the negotiation of merit scholarships? Or is it better to call?

I e-mailed Dean Jackson - kristine.jackson@colorado.edu

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 pm

oldhippie wrote:
krad wrote:
bananeez wrote: YES! Include me in the hh plans for sure! Pearl?

I was thinking Pearl would be great! Maybe we can convine a current student or two to join? I'll fbook ya here in a bit when I can get on my phone (no fbook at work). :)

i third pearl....great way to see a cool part of boulder and lots of food/drink options...
getting EXCITED!!!! :D :D

+4

Booked my accomodations yesterday. Very interested to see how the altitude affects my COD/tolerance, hehe 8)

krad

Postby krad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:11 pm

Maury Levy wrote:
oldhippie wrote:
krad wrote:
bananeez wrote: YES! Include me in the hh plans for sure! Pearl?

I was thinking Pearl would be great! Maybe we can convine a current student or two to join? I'll fbook ya here in a bit when I can get on my phone (no fbook at work). :)

i third pearl....great way to see a cool part of boulder and lots of food/drink options...
getting EXCITED!!!! :D :D

+4

Booked my accomodations yesterday. Very interested to see how the altitude affects my COD/tolerance, hehe 8)

Woo! That's 4 TLSers for happy hour so far haha. The altitude will definitely lower your COD :mrgreen: I was in Boston this past weekend and I spent about twice as much $ as normal on wine... pain!

goingeast

Postby goingeast » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:24 pm

krad wrote:Woo! That's 4 TLSers for happy hour so far haha. The altitude will definitely lower your COD :mrgreen: I was in Boston this past weekend and I spent about twice as much $ as normal on wine... pain!

happy hour? I'm in...flying in around 4 tomorrow.

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:30 pm

At this rate we may just take over one of the bars! :twisted:

krad

Postby krad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:29 pm

haha

goingeast wrote:happy hour? I'm in...flying in around 4 tomorrow.

Yup we're planning to head to somewhere fun over on Pearl for happy hour on Fri post-ASW activities :)

I can't wait, can it please be Friday already?

goingeast

Postby goingeast » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:31 pm

krad wrote:haha

goingeast wrote:happy hour? I'm in...flying in around 4 tomorrow.

Yup we're planning to head to somewhere fun over on Pearl for happy hour on Fri post-ASW activities :)

I can't wait, can it please be Friday already?

Sweet! Are there people meeting up tomorrow evening?

krad

Postby krad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:31 pm

I think someone else mentioned that they get in tomorrow afternoon, maybe on the last page ITT? Maybe it was Old Hippie? Not sure!

I've got to work late tomorrow (I live in Denver) because I've missed a lot of work due to ASWs lately :|

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:51 pm

While on the AS portal, I just noticed that a student in one of the pics appears to be wearing a Miller High Life t-shirt.

Blasphemy in those parts? :lol:

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:50 pm

i'll be in town tomorrow afternoon, but we're looking at houses all afternoon and probably not drinking much thursday night. i'm old, gotta pace myself :mrgreen:
psyched to meet y'all!!!

calified

Postby calified » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:08 pm

really random question but -

The only place I've ever bought furniture was Ikea, and it looks like Colorado doesn't have one? Are there popular furniture stores out there that people recommend I check out? (I'm kinda an obsessive planner and like to get everything worked out months in advance haha)

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:11 pm

calified wrote:really random question but -

The only place I've ever bought furniture was Ikea, and it looks like Colorado doesn't have one? Are there popular furniture stores out there that people recommend I check out? (I'm kinda an obsessive planner and like to get everything worked out months in advance haha)

WHAT. :shock:

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:14 pm

The first Ikea in CO is set to open this fall.

As for furniture, craigslist is probably a good bet. Although, I might buy some from Ikea and craigslist around here in CA and then have it hauled to Boulder with a moving company/truck.

The place I am leasing has a fair amount of furniture that comes with it, but I will still be needing some.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:16 pm

The closest Ikea is in SLC, UT. They're scheduled to open one in Centennial, CO (Denver area) by December of 2011, though! Woo! --LinkRemoved-- and http://www.ikea.com/us/en/store/centennial My friends and I follow this stuff lol (nerds).

I got a lot of good stuff at American Furniture Warehouse. It's not as inexpensive as Ikea, and I don't think much of it is build-your-own, but it's not a bad deal. http://www.afwonline.com/ There's also Furniture Row off of I-25 in Denver that sometimes has good deals. http://www.furniturerow.com/

eta: QL ya just beat me :)

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:27 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:

The first Ikea in CO is set to open this fall.

As for furniture, craigslist is probably a good bet. Although, I might buy some from Ikea and craigslist around here in CA and then have it hauled to Boulder with a moving company/truck.

The place I am leasing has a fair amount of furniture that comes with it, but I will still be needing some.

Is that Peggy Olson in your avatar?

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:52 pm

krad wrote:The closest Ikea is in SLC, UT. They're scheduled to open one in Centennial, CO (Denver area) by December of 2011, though! Woo! --LinkRemoved-- and http://www.ikea.com/us/en/store/centennial My friends and I follow this stuff lol (nerds).

I got a lot of good stuff at American Furniture Warehouse. It's not as inexpensive as Ikea, and I don't think much of it is build-your-own, but it's not a bad deal. http://www.afwonline.com/ There's also Furniture Row off of I-25 in Denver that sometimes has good deals. http://www.furniturerow.com/

eta: QL ya just beat me :)

Oooh thanks krad! Looking at American Furniture Warehouse right now - I want an l-shaped desk to be able to spread stuff out and there's one for $77. Not bad at all.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:56 pm

No prob! They definitely have some good deals if you can find them. I outfitted my first apt here in Denver with everything American Furniture (as did many of my friends when they graduated from CU UG and moved to Denver) haha.

boilerup89

Postby boilerup89 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:22 pm

oldhippie wrote:a question to pigglyback on pronck...have people gotten their info back from financial aid yet about loans and such? i'm not even sure they've gotten my fafsa, i was planning to ask this week...

I called today about this and they told me they they were having diffuclty with the database and that we should expect it to take a couple weeks. If you don't hear by then they reccomend you call 8)

krad

Postby krad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:24 pm

Guhhhh a few weeks? I got my finaid statement from my other top contender last week :? I'd really like to see my loans, etc. laid out before I commit (and deny the other school)... so hopefully I get it before April 15!

eta: I'm sure we're mostly in the same boat here, but I felt like whining. It's been that kind of day at work. Sorry.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Rooftop on the West End Tavern is one of my favorite spots if you want to grab something to eat / drink as well.

Happy hour at the Med is also unbeatable.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:48 pm

krad wrote:Guhhhh a few weeks? I got my finaid statement from my other top contender last week :? I'd really like to see my loans, etc. laid out before I commit (and deny the other school)... so hopefully I get it before April 15!

eta: I'm sure we're mostly in the same boat here, but I felt like whining. It's been that kind of day at work. Sorry.

I committed already, but I would like to know too. Other packages had me fully covered with the exception of W&L...

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 pm

krad wrote:Guhhhh a few weeks? I got my finaid statement from my other top contender last week :? I'd really like to see my loans, etc. laid out before I commit (and deny the other school)... so hopefully I get it before April 15!

Its the same for me too. I'm waiting for a couple scholarships and CU finaid to send me my loan coverage before I put my deposit in. The deadline is April 15th, right?

One other question, does anyone know if the transcripts have to be delivered by April 15th too?

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:07 pm

ptblazer wrote:

Its the same for me too. I'm waiting for a couple scholarships and CU finaid to send me my loan coverage before I put my deposit in. The deadline is April 15th, right?

One other question, does anyone know if the transcripts have to be delivered by April 15th too?

I don't think so. From the commitment form:
"2) Your enrollment at the Law School is contingent upon our receipt of two complete official transcripts, including verification of the awarding of your degree(s) SENT DIRECTLY FROM ALL POST-HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS..."

That to me sounds like in signing the form you're agreeing to provide transcripts before the first day of classes. I was at USD's ASW last Friday, and their Fin Aid guy literally said "before the first day of classes." It also doesn't make sense to me to have these due at the time of the first seat deposit since a lot of students will be putting down multiple seat deposits. Perhaps it's worth a call, but I'm pretty sure they're due sometime after April 15th.

Also, students graduating this spring won't have valid transcripts by April 15th.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:09 pm

Maury Levy wrote:
ptblazer wrote:

I don't think so. From the commitment form:
"2) Your enrollment at the Law School is contingent upon our receipt of two complete official transcripts, including verification of the awarding of your degree(s) SENT DIRECTLY FROM ALL POST-HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS..."

That to me sounds like in signing the form you're agreeing to provide transcripts before the first day of classes. I was at USD's ASW last Friday, and their Fin Aid guy literally said "before the first day of classes." It also doesn't make sense to me to have these due at the time of the first seat deposit since a lot of students will be putting down multiple seat deposits. Perhaps it's worth a call, but I'm pretty sure they're due sometime after April 15th.

Also, students graduating this spring won't have valid transcripts by April 15th.

Transcripts aren't due until July.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Maury Levy wrote:Also, students graduating this spring won't have valid transcripts by April 15th.

Haha, great point. Thanks

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”