CU - Boulder class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Congrats to the new acceptances in here and to the new scholarship recipients!

Also, just wanted to say bananeez totally rules! Find an apartment out of state is difficult and she really helped me out. I am signing a lease soon so it is now completely official. Also I will be mailing my seat deposit tomorrow.
:mrgreen:

Edit: Also wanted to second ptblazer on the not having a car thing. Bus system worked great. I liked Rodeway Inn as well - apparently that is where a lot of athletes stay when they come. The free breakfast was really nice. The stop is 30th and baseline.

bananeez
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby bananeez » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:28 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Congrats to the new acceptances in here and to the new scholarship recipients!

Also, just wanted to say bananeez totally rules! Find an apartment out of state is difficult and she really helped me out. I am signing a lease soon so it is now completely official. Also I will be mailing my seat deposit tomorrow.
:mrgreen:

Edit: Also wanted to second ptblazer on the not having a car thing. Bus system worked great. I liked Rodeway Inn as well - apparently that is where a lot of athletes stay when they come. The free breakfast was really nice. The stop is 30th and baseline.


Aw, my pleasure, glad it you got it!!

DJsm20
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:57 am

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby DJsm20 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks so much for all of the advice on transportation and hotels. Can't wait to visit since CU is my top choice. Pretty new to the forum but after playing catch up on this thread I must say I have a really good feeling I'm gonna fall in love with Boulder.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby oldhippie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:55 am

i'm getting SUPER excited about the visit!!!!!
just wanted to share :mrgreen:

as for hotels, i've heard the boulder outlook is cool and very close to campus...someone on here recommended that...

User avatar
eminem
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby eminem » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 am

I booked at the Rodeway due to the price, but the TripAdvisor reviews are less than glowing.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby upfish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 am

So is anyone else nervous about moving REALLY far? =/ I'm still not committed, but CU is looking like my best option, and the moving idea is kind of killing me. I like my life here.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12715
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby LeDique » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:20 am

I'm not, but I'm wanting to move really far. Colorado represents my least responsible financial decision by 20-40k, but I'm still considering it :/ I really shouldn't, at all, but of the school's I've visited (which is all minus Indiana), I liked it the best. It was the one I felt best at.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby oldhippie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:02 pm

upfish wrote:So is anyone else nervous about moving REALLY far? =/ I'm still not committed, but CU is looking like my best option, and the moving idea is kind of killing me. I like my life here.

i'm in the opposite boat, i've been ready to move really far for a while...this is a bit of a dream come true...

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby krad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:06 pm

If I attend CU, I will be moving up the road about 30min!

I am, however, considering other schools that are really far away, and that aspect does freak me out a little bit, but it mainly excites me! But, I moved from FL to CA for UG and then to England after UG, and then to CO for work where I knew no one... so I guess you could say I'm pretty adventurous :mrgreen:

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby upfish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:21 pm

oldhippie wrote:
upfish wrote:So is anyone else nervous about moving REALLY far? =/ I'm still not committed, but CU is looking like my best option, and the moving idea is kind of killing me. I like my life here.

i'm in the opposite boat, i've been ready to move really far for a while...this is a bit of a dream come true...


I did a decent move about 1.5 years ago. 9 hours away from my hometown, and I was super happy about it too! =)

But Houston is just such an easy city to network in, and I have some connections already, and I am nervous about leaving that behind. Also, Denver is so small. D= But I can get over it if I have to, hah.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby krad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 pm

When I moved to Denver in mid 08 I knew no one at all. I now have a huge network of colleagues and friends. People are very nice out here :)

calified
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby calified » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:10 pm

upfish wrote:So is anyone else nervous about moving REALLY far? =/ I'm still not committed, but CU is looking like my best option, and the moving idea is kind of killing me. I like my life here.



I have almost a daily panic attack about this.... I know CU is my best option, but leaving LA for Boulder is freaking me out a ton.... I like my warm weather and friends out here :-/

calified
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby calified » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:13 pm

bananeez wrote:Sorry for the double post---

BUT I just saw on craigslist that there's another posting for an apartment in the same building as mine. In fact, right next to me! And cheaper - $1500 (mine is 1595) :| , although there looks to be some differences (kitchen and floors don't look redone like mine), and a different landlord. It's a 2bd. if anyone is looking for housing and is interested I can send you the link. It's in a GREAT location on Pearl. Just thought I'd help out those looking! Or, as I said before, I'm going to be looking for a law school roommate for mine, so you can join me instead... :mrgreen:



Which apartment complex is this in? I am looking for a 2 bedroom. I think I found a roommate on craigslist, but it could be cool to live near another law student? I have a dog though, so it has to allow dogs...

bananeez
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby bananeez » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:06 pm

calified wrote:
bananeez wrote:Sorry for the double post---

BUT I just saw on craigslist that there's another posting for an apartment in the same building as mine. In fact, right next to me! And cheaper - $1500 (mine is 1595) :| , although there looks to be some differences (kitchen and floors don't look redone like mine), and a different landlord. It's a 2bd. if anyone is looking for housing and is interested I can send you the link. It's in a GREAT location on Pearl. Just thought I'd help out those looking! Or, as I said before, I'm going to be looking for a law school roommate for mine, so you can join me instead... :mrgreen:



Which apartment complex is this in? I am looking for a 2 bedroom. I think I found a roommate on craigslist, but it could be cool to live near another law student? I have a dog though, so it has to allow dogs...


Sorry, no dogs :( ! But I hope you choose to live around there -- West Pearl!

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:51 pm

calified wrote:
upfish wrote:So is anyone else nervous about moving REALLY far? =/ I'm still not committed, but CU is looking like my best option, and the moving idea is kind of killing me. I like my life here.



I have almost a daily panic attack about this.... I know CU is my best option, but leaving LA for Boulder is freaking me out a ton.... I like my warm weather and friends out here :-/


I don't think Boulder is that cold - I am from SoCal and love the warm weather too, but Boulder I thought was great in terms of weather when I was there (at least in comparison to when I was in Boston in March and DC in December/November).

I am excited to move - will be nice to have the option of using public transportation and not driving an hour + to work everyday.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby oldhippie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:55 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:I am excited to move - will be nice to have the option of using public transportation and not driving an hour + to work everyday.

i'm glad you said, this, i feel the same way! i can't wait to be a one car family and i'll be the one without a car! i'm sure i'll hate it at times, but i really like the idea of not driving every-danged-where i go...and boulder has a GREAT public transportation system, i remember that from a visit years ago and i'm sure it's only gotten better since...

calified
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby calified » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:00 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
calified wrote:
upfish wrote:So is anyone else nervous about moving REALLY far? =/ I'm still not committed, but CU is looking like my best option, and the moving idea is kind of killing me. I like my life here.



I have almost a daily panic attack about this.... I know CU is my best option, but leaving LA for Boulder is freaking me out a ton.... I like my warm weather and friends out here :-/


I don't think Boulder is that cold - I am from SoCal and love the warm weather too, but Boulder I thought was great in terms of weather when I was there (at least in comparison to when I was in Boston in March and DC in December/November).

I am excited to move - will be nice to have the option of using public transportation and not driving an hour + to work everyday.



Hahaha funny I am from Boston originally and only moved to LA 6 years ago. I keep picturing Boulder as Boston, so I'm glad to hear it's not that bad :) And I guess the mountains are just as pretty as the ocean, just in a different way. I'm sure I'll love it

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:04 pm

calified wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
calified wrote:
upfish wrote:So is anyone else nervous about moving REALLY far? =/ I'm still not committed, but CU is looking like my best option, and the moving idea is kind of killing me. I like my life here.



I have almost a daily panic attack about this.... I know CU is my best option, but leaving LA for Boulder is freaking me out a ton.... I like my warm weather and friends out here :-/


I don't think Boulder is that cold - I am from SoCal and love the warm weather too, but Boulder I thought was great in terms of weather when I was there (at least in comparison to when I was in Boston in March and DC in December/November).

I am excited to move - will be nice to have the option of using public transportation and not driving an hour + to work everyday.



Hahaha funny I am from Boston originally and only moved to LA 6 years ago. I keep picturing Boulder as Boston, so I'm glad to hear it's not that bad :) And I guess the mountains are just as pretty as the ocean, just in a different way. I'm sure I'll love it


to sum it up - In March in Boulder I wore a thin jacket. In March in Boston I was wearing my thick jacket that I had originally bought for Sweden

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby krad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:20 pm

Spring in CO is generally awesome, with some random big snow events thrown in for good measure. Today it's about 40, this past weekend it was in the high 60's. It snowed a little about a week/week and a half ago. Colorado weather is about as unpredictable as it gets, but it's usually sunny! You can get some pretty nasty days in the winter, 15 below, snow, and the like, but they don't last very long and then it's sunny when they clear up, unlike up east/the midwest where winter goes nonstop.

eta: I lived in LA for 4.5 years before CO :)

calified
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby calified » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:30 pm

krad wrote:Spring in CO is generally awesome, with some random big snow events thrown in for good measure. Today it's about 40, this past weekend it was in the high 60's. It snowed a little about a week/week and a half ago. Colorado weather is about as unpredictable as it gets, but it's usually sunny! You can get some pretty nasty days in the winter, 15 below, snow, and the like, but they don't last very long and then it's sunny when they clear up, unlike up east/the midwest where winter goes nonstop.

eta: I lived in LA for 4.5 years before CO :)


I see you went to UCLA, that's right down the street from me :) I'll just have to invest in a big jacket and boots for those snowy rare 15 below days. 8)

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby krad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:35 pm

calified wrote:I see you went to UCLA, that's right down the street from me :) I'll just have to invest in a big jacket and boots for those snowy rare 15 below days. 8)

:D good old CA! I've definitely gotten some good use out of my Sorel boots in the winter. I own two pairs and I'd highly recommend them, they last forever (worth the $).

catinthewall
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:50 am

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby catinthewall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Hey guys!!

So I've made my decision! I will be in Boulder with you all this fall! Unfortunately, I'm going to be in a real time crunch and may need the help of my future classmates...

Here's the problem: I get off Active Duty on 12 August (in Virginia Beach). I'm pretty sure that orientation is the 15th. As you can see, I don't have a lot of time to get my ducks in a row when I get to Boulder (I'll have to fly in and have my car shipped from VA). I will have an apartment near the law school, but I was wondering if my friends (you guys) can help me with smaller things. If someone can lend me an air mattress, sheets, towels, maybe a couple of dishes (I can use plastic forks and knives) at least until my Military Movers get my stuff into town, I will be forever indebted to you. I will wine and dine you. I will take you grocery shopping at the Commissary and the Exchange on base (it's tax-free).

If you think you will be able to help me, please pm me. I will coordinate with you over the summer. Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!

~cat in the wall

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby oldhippie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 am

PMed you...

and we should definitely all plan some get-together for the april ASD folks, maybe friday night?

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby krad » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Wooo April ASD fast approaches! I was thinking of taking the bus up from Denver so I don't have to worry about driving aka I can hit up a happy hr for a while :) My SO also may drive up after ASW for beers since he's done with his last surgery at noon woot.

Bananeez you might be around too, right? Meet up?

User avatar
boilerup89
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby boilerup89 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:27 pm

krad wrote:Wooo April ASD fast approaches! I was thinking of taking the bus up from Denver so I don't have to worry about driving aka I can hit up a happy hr for a while :) My SO also may drive up after ASW for beers since he's done with his last surgery at noon woot.

Bananeez you might be around too , right? Meet up?

eta: Where do I find the info about the ASW (aka what I have to read and whatnot)??


Its on the admitted students page. You should have an email about it from forever ago 8)




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest