CU - Boulder class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
krad

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Postby krad » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Most of the resorts close in early to mid April. Loveland often stays open until early-mid May and A Basin closes pretty late (usually into the start of June, I think?) depending on conditions. So, you may be able to hit something, but it's going to be pretty meh by May.

I usually end my season in late March, unless there's a good snow, but then again I'm spoiled :mrgreen:

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:28 pm

krad wrote:Most of the resorts close in early to mid April. Loveland often stays open until early-mid May and A Basin closes pretty late (usually into the start of June, I think?) depending on conditions. So, you may be able to hit something, but it's going to be pretty meh by May.

I usually end my season in late March, unless there's a good snow, but then again I'm spoiled :mrgreen:

I'm taking my 3-year-old up for his first time on Saturday, can't wait!

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 pm

eeee! Exciting! Let us know how it goes :)

My SO and his best friends from growing up are in Vail this AM until Sunday. I'm stuck at work and jealous.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:35 pm

krad wrote:eeee! Exciting! Let us know how it goes :)

My SO and his best friends from growing up are in Vail this AM until Sunday. I'm stuck at work and jealous.

How bad is the traffic on weekends for skiing on I-70. I've heard of a few 6-8 hour horror stories.. but I don't know if there is any truth to these.. Every time I've been on I-70 it's been reasonably quick.

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:49 pm

krad wrote:And this is going to seem really random, but how old is everyone ITT? If you don't feel like sharing, that's cool. Or, if you want to give a range, that's cool too. Or you can PM me...!

FWIW I'm 25 and I'm really curious as to the kind of age range in the class up at CU :)

I know I'm a few pages late, but 28 by the first day of classes.

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:47 pm

typ3 wrote:How bad is the traffic on weekends for skiing on I-70. I've heard of a few 6-8 hour horror stories.. but I don't know if there is any truth to these.. Every time I've been on I-70 it's been reasonably quick.

The traffic can be awful on Saturday and Sunday mornings and afternoons during the winter. It can take 4 hours from Breck to Boulder if you leave Sunday between 2-6.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 am

rekopter wrote:
typ3 wrote:How bad is the traffic on weekends for skiing on I-70. I've heard of a few 6-8 hour horror stories.. but I don't know if there is any truth to these.. Every time I've been on I-70 it's been reasonably quick.

The traffic can be awful on Saturday and Sunday mornings and afternoons during the winter. It can take 4 hours from Breck to Boulder if you leave Sunday between 2-6.

This. I'm going up early Saturday to the Winter Park area - we plan on leaving around 6 AM to get there around 8. Plus, we've learned that it's just not worth it to try to go home in the afternoon, so we always stay the night and come home Sunday morning.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:21 am

Just got offered a scholarship - I will be putting my deposit down for CU very shortly. :D

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:08 am

rekopter wrote:

Sunday afternoon driving back from Keystone was annoying as could be. It took 2.5 hours to DIA tho, not horrible. Couldn't figure out the traffic at all - it was fine for 10 minutes, then traffic for 20 minutes, repeat.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Just got offered a scholarship - I will be putting my deposit down for CU very shortly. :D

Yay!! I'm so happy! :D Congrats!

krad

Postby krad » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:22 pm

typ3- traffic can BLOW. It's gotten worse, that is for sure. It's primarily dependent on the volume of people going up to the mountains, and it's very unpredictable, but the weather can definitely make a difference. I had one 6 hour trip up/5hr trip home recently because it was a white out over the pass (which no one had planned on) combined with a huge volume of cars. If traffic is too heavy/slow moving, they have to regulate the number of cars passing through the tunnel at any one time, so that can add to the hassle. I have to admit that some days I just don't go up because I don't feel like getting up super early or sitting in traffic. It's still worth it though, the SO is in Vail right now and he said it's one of his best powder days yet this season!

I just got back to work from my visit and I LOVED IT!!!!

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Deposit mailed. Now I have to find a place to live that is conducive to excessive work.... also gotta get my skis drilled, buy new boots... law school is expensive.

calified

Postby calified » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi! I'm gonna be going to the April ASD. Still trying to decide if I wanna make the move from LA to Boulder... hopefully I'll get a good vibe while I'm there!

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:55 pm

bananeez wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:Just got offered a scholarship - I will be putting my deposit down for CU very shortly. :D

Yay!! I'm so happy! :D Congrats!

Thanks! Now to look seriously about housing...I have been major slacking...

Pronkbaggins

Postby Pronkbaggins » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:32 pm

Hey! Thought I'd jump in here. Got my CU acceptance letter and am pretty sure I'm going to attend. Just need to figure out housing and hopefully visit before May...is anyone here planning on doing a dual degree with their JD?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:25 pm

I keep going back and forth on whether not I want to attend law school, but I'm currently in a "pro" law school sort of mood. So, I'm just stopping by to say hello! I'm a 24 y/o who grew up in Denver, but moved out to the east coast for undergrad and for a while thereafter. I'm very excited to be coming back, though. I've missed CO.

Best of luck to any of those waiting to hear back still.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:29 pm

welcome and congrats to the new folks ITT!

i'm busy making my plans for my visit next week. i REALLY hope we can find a place while we're there, i'd feel much more settled if i had an address!!

and pronkb - not going for a dual degree, one at a time is enough for me! :wink:

DJsm20

Postby DJsm20 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi Everyone!
Will be attending ASD April 1. I am from the east coast and not very familiar with the area. Debating getting a rental car. Can anyone recommend hotels nearby? Can I get away without the car for the weekend?

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:32 pm

shock259 wrote:I keep going back and forth on whether not I want to attend law school, but I'm currently in a "pro" law school sort of mood. So, I'm just stopping by to say hello! I'm a 24 y/o who grew up in Denver, but moved out to the east coast for undergrad and for a while thereafter. I'm very excited to be coming back, though. I've missed CO.

Best of luck to any of those waiting to hear back still.

Shock -- I'm a 25 y/o who grew up in Boulder, and moved out to the east coast for undergrad and work after, and am now coming back to Boulder to attend CU! It's a very exciting thing.

Are you considering staying with your job instead of going back to school?

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Sorry for the double post---

BUT I just saw on craigslist that there's another posting for an apartment in the same building as mine. In fact, right next to me! And cheaper - $1500 (mine is 1595) :| , although there looks to be some differences (kitchen and floors don't look redone like mine), and a different landlord. It's a 2bd. if anyone is looking for housing and is interested I can send you the link. It's in a GREAT location on Pearl. Just thought I'd help out those looking! Or, as I said before, I'm going to be looking for a law school roommate for mine, so you can join me instead... :mrgreen:

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Tag :)

Better get in on this thread now, though I'm technically still weighing my options.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:20 pm

bananeez wrote:Sorry for the double post---

BUT I just saw on craigslist that there's another posting for an apartment in the same building as mine. In fact, right next to me! And cheaper - $1500 (mine is 1595) :| , although there looks to be some differences (kitchen and floors don't look redone like mine), and a different landlord. It's a 2bd. if anyone is looking for housing and is interested I can send you the link. It's in a GREAT location on Pearl. Just thought I'd help out those looking! Or, as I said before, I'm going to be looking for a law school roommate for mine, so you can join me instead... :mrgreen:

Sure, just get CU to give me 30k more in scholarship money, and I'm there.

boilerup89

Postby boilerup89 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Got the 12/4/4 scholly in the mail yesterday

Now 75% sure that I'm matriculating. Just waiting to see if ASU beats the offer 8)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:44 pm

Congratulations !

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:53 pm

DJsm20 wrote:Hi Everyone!
Will be attending ASD April 1. I am from the east coast and not very familiar with the area. Debating getting a rental car. Can anyone recommend hotels nearby? Can I get away without the car for the weekend?

Hey, I was in a similar situation for the March ASD. I was completely new to the area and didn't rent a car. In some ways I wish I had, but I also saved some money by not.

Can you get around without a car?
Yes absolutely, I had no problems getting from the airport to my hotel in Boulder and from my hotel in Boulder to the CU campus. There is a bus that goes from the airport to Boulder, the route is called AB. You can ask the help desks in the airport for the schedule and where you can pick it up. I can't remember how much it costs to get from the airport to Boulder, but it was in the neighborhood of $17 one-way (I think). I remember thinking it was a lot for public transit, but Boulder is 1 hour away by bus, so it is by far the cheapest way. The bus is also (more or less) direct to Boulder.

I stayed at the Rodeway Inn, it was a cheap hotel and was about a 8-10 min walk from the law building. I think there was a Best Western that was also close, about 6 min walk. I did a lot of walking, but there is a good bus system in Boulder.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”