UGA Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby Sandro » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Depositing on Monday !! 8)

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby bartleby » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:12 am

iShotFirst wrote:UGA Family Housing has 10 month, for no extra fee. In fact that is the default lease, sometime in August- sometime in May or June (you choose). Some of the units have ugly (cinderblock) walls and no central heating (just wall units) but some do. Just have to ask. Its right on campus but still quiet, and just a ten minute bus ride to campus. Bus comes every 5-10 mins or so.

Spent my first year there, its really a great option IMO and way cheaper than the other options being thrown around here.


Why do people knock it and why isn't it popular? What's wrong with it?

That is insanely cheap. I was looking at apts that were $800 a month for the year-round.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby bartleby » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:29 am

bartleby wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:UGA Family Housing has 10 month, for no extra fee. In fact that is the default lease, sometime in August- sometime in May or June (you choose). Some of the units have ugly (cinderblock) walls and no central heating (just wall units) but some do. Just have to ask. Its right on campus but still quiet, and just a ten minute bus ride to campus. Bus comes every 5-10 mins or so.

Spent my first year there, its really a great option IMO and way cheaper than the other options being thrown around here.


Why do people knock it and why isn't it popular? What's wrong with it?

That is insanely cheap. I was looking at apts that were $800 a month for the year-round.


oh, i see - no kitchen / fridge / that kind of stuff. still i think i'd save 6 grand at 6.8% a year.

umilikechips
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby umilikechips » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Don't forget to join the facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... p_activity

User avatar
jarv1506
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby jarv1506 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:06 pm

deposited today! see you all in the fall!

User avatar
plt06
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby plt06 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:31 pm

the11111111 wrote:Where is everyone living...

I'm looking at a couple of places downtown like game day and the Georgian but if y'all have any better places please let me know..

Prob get a one bedroom for the first year..

Anyone signed a lease yet?


I got a place in Georgia Traditions/755 Broad Street for next year. They have a fb page with email info or you can pm me and I'll send you the floor plans I looked at. It's a bit pricey, but they're converted condo units so you get nicer appliances, floors, etc.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby Sandro » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Would anyone be interested in splitting a 2/2 at 755/Georgia Traditions ? A little more than 909 ($500s vs $600s)but seems its better quality.... pm me I'll send you the floorplan.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 am

bartleby wrote:
bartleby wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:UGA Family Housing has 10 month, for no extra fee. In fact that is the default lease, sometime in August- sometime in May or June (you choose). Some of the units have ugly (cinderblock) walls and no central heating (just wall units) but some do. Just have to ask. Its right on campus but still quiet, and just a ten minute bus ride to campus. Bus comes every 5-10 mins or so.

Spent my first year there, its really a great option IMO and way cheaper than the other options being thrown around here.


Why do people knock it and why isn't it popular? What's wrong with it?

That is insanely cheap. I was looking at apts that were $800 a month for the year-round.


oh, i see - no kitchen / fridge / that kind of stuff. still i think i'd save 6 grand at 6.8% a year.



Huh? There is a full kitchen. Not sure where you were looking. University village is where I stayed.

Maybe it isnt that popular because there are actual families living there so you have kids running around and yelling sometimes. Or maybe it just isnt cool :) But the convenience and the cost you cant beat.

$674 cable and internet included is what I paid + 30/40$ a month in electricity charges.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby eandy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:01 pm

iShotFirst wrote:$674 cable and internet included is what I paid + 30/40$ a month in electricity charges.

Unless they have substantially increased rent, 909 with a roommate costs the same amount and is more convenient (getting from downtown to family housing is a pain, no need to take a bus to class, etc.)

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby bartleby » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:24 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
bartleby wrote:
bartleby wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:UGA Family Housing has 10 month, for no extra fee. In fact that is the default lease, sometime in August- sometime in May or June (you choose). Some of the units have ugly (cinderblock) walls and no central heating (just wall units) but some do. Just have to ask. Its right on campus but still quiet, and just a ten minute bus ride to campus. Bus comes every 5-10 mins or so.

Spent my first year there, its really a great option IMO and way cheaper than the other options being thrown around here.


Why do people knock it and why isn't it popular? What's wrong with it?

That is insanely cheap. I was looking at apts that were $800 a month for the year-round.


oh, i see - no kitchen / fridge / that kind of stuff. still i think i'd save 6 grand at 6.8% a year.



Huh? There is a full kitchen. Not sure where you were looking. University village is where I stayed.

Maybe it isnt that popular because there are actual families living there so you have kids running around and yelling sometimes. Or maybe it just isnt cool :) But the convenience and the cost you cant beat.

$674 cable and internet included is what I paid + 30/40$ a month in electricity charges.


Nvm, must've been looking at the wrong thing. The thing I was looking at had community bathrooms (yikes).

User avatar
plug1
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby plug1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Hey guys. Another future law student and I have a 3 bedroom / 2 bathroom apartment reserved on the top floor of 909 Broad. We are both 22 and are looking for a another guy to be a third roommate. Its a very nice apartment. Rent will be around 530/month plus utilities and you will be sharing a bathroom with one other person. PM me if you are interested.

limelightwave
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby limelightwave » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Sent in my deposit today :)

User avatar
jarv1506
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby jarv1506 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:43 pm

limelightwave wrote:Sent in my deposit today :)


Nice! 8)

interknight2007
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:56 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby interknight2007 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:00 am

iShotFirst wrote:Maybe it isnt that popular because there are actual families living there so you have kids running around and yelling sometimes. Or maybe it just isnt cool :) But the convenience and the cost you cant beat.

$674 cable and internet included is what I paid + 30/40$ a month in electricity charges.


Still trying to make up my mind, but UGA is definitely a top option for me. This seems like an amazing deal too... Starting this fall they are including electricity, and several units are $600/month. I have been an RA for 3 years, so I have 4 years worth of undergrad housing experience... I would be totally comfortable here :)

A few questions though: how is the parking in those areas? I am glad there is campus transportation, but where would I have to park/walk to when I am not in class?

Also, do they allow pets?

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby eandy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:23 pm

If any guys want a cheap place to live, my friend is still looking for two roommates at Steeplechase. PM me for his email!

User avatar
cariberry
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby cariberry » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:20 pm

sleepyhead wrote:I'm 95% sure I'm going to be going to UGa next year... and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to go about finding a roommate for the upcoming school year. I'm out of state and only know one other person going to law school at UGa, so I was wondering if anyone knows if there's a service through the school that helps you find someone to live with? Or some other way to figure something out? Thanks!


When I was looking for housing last year, they had a thing through the admitted students site that allowed you to post that you wanted a roommate, and a 1L called me about looking at an apartment. We ended up living together.

If you are looking for less expensive (but still nice) housing, the Summit, the Woodlands, and a smaller townhome development that looks exactly like the Summit inside (Brookewood Mill) are all good possibilities. They are also all out on Barnett Shoals. Getting to school takes me about 10 minutes from there, and there's a very convenient nearby shopping center that has tons of stuff (grocery stores, a K-Mart, bunches of restaurants). Additionally, since I'm moving out, my current roommate (rising 2L) will need a cool lady to take my place in our 2BR/2.5BA townhouse (rent at $400/mo). It's got a nice living room and kitchen, plus an almost new washer & dryer. Also a huuuuge closet. Contact me if you want more info.
Though it may be more convenient to get housing through real estate companies, I've found it can be cheaper to rent housing from individuals who own it.

I also recommend Dearing Gardens (closer than the aforementioned places and very reasonably priced at $650 for a 2 BR/ 1 BA flat - $325 each). I've had friends who've lived there for years and have no complaints.

Re 909-
909's hallways are a little creepy because they are very cement-y and, as people have said, the walls are pretty thin. Also, parking for guests is VERY limited. There are like 5 or 6 spaces for guests, and the rest of the spaces are supposed to be "commercial," plus a few overflow spaces. I parked in the commercial ones once and was towed. So yeah. If you have a frequent visitor, you can pay for a sort of guest pass for them, but it's always seemed needlessly expensive to me.
That said, 909 is very very convenient (like the other housing in that area). Many of my friends walk to school everyday and love being able to walk to and from downtown.
If you can afford it, it may very well be worth it.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby Sandro » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Just an FYI, you can check to see if your deposit has been received on the perspective student website, it will take the place of your Admit Congrats message.

Autoaccept
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby Autoaccept » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:40 pm

I think the Boulevard area is hands down the best place to live in Athens. It's a 15-20 minute (at most) walk from the arches and a very nice, quiet neighborhood (lots of families, very little crime). It has tons of affordable, small houses (including shotgun-type houses for those looking to live alone). I've leased from Boulevard Property Management, but I'd definitely call or ask someone to take you around this area- as an alternative to living in a big apartment building downtown.

User avatar
tha_paper_cha$e
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:15 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby tha_paper_cha$e » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:28 am

Thanks for the informative posts Cariberry and Autoaccept!

I'm looking for an apartment that's relatively close to campus and furnished, preferably on the cheaper side. So far I like The Lodge and River Mill. Also, the 'Guide to Athens' recommends the River Club Apartments. That place looks pretty nice, too.

If anyone is interested in rooming or has any apartment suggestions, please don't hesitate to let me know :)

interknight2007
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:56 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby interknight2007 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:38 am

Autoaccept wrote:I think the Boulevard area is hands down the best place to live in Athens. It's a 15-20 minute (at most) walk from the arches and a very nice, quiet neighborhood (lots of families, very little crime). It has tons of affordable, small houses (including shotgun-type houses for those looking to live alone). I've leased from Boulevard Property Management, but I'd definitely call or ask someone to take you around this area- as an alternative to living in a big apartment building downtown.


I've been looking at their site, and these look like pretty convenient places. Finley street seems real close to the Law building and downtown etc.

What would a typical month's electric be? It looks like that's all that isn't included in most of them.

Also, I have been an RA for three years and haven't had to get an apartment, what's the time frame for applying? Any other housing advice would be great too :)

User avatar
jarv1506
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby jarv1506 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:47 am

interknight2007 wrote:Also, I have been an RA for three years and haven't had to get an apartment, what's the time frame for applying? Any other housing advice would be great too :)


I'm no expert on renting in Athens. I went through the whole process form Pennsylvania. I did talk with several current students at ASD and they advised me that apartments would start going pretty fast in April. So I would probably begin your search ASAP. I grabbed a place at 755 Broad, I'm not sure what your desired price range is, but it' pretty nice. You might also try asking around on the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 9865843821 several people have posted that they are looking for a roommate or have a room to rent. Good Luck!

interknight2007
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:56 am

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby interknight2007 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:31 pm

jarv1506 wrote:
interknight2007 wrote:Also, I have been an RA for three years and haven't had to get an apartment, what's the time frame for applying? Any other housing advice would be great too :)


I'm no expert on renting in Athens. I went through the whole process form Pennsylvania. I did talk with several current students at ASD and they advised me that apartments would start going pretty fast in April. So I would probably begin your search ASAP. I grabbed a place at 755 Broad, I'm not sure what your desired price range is, but it' pretty nice. You might also try asking around on the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 9865843821 several people have posted that they are looking for a roommate or have a room to rent. Good Luck!


Thanks for the quick response! I better hurry up and make my decision then, so I can start looking...

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby eandy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:56 pm

tha_paper_cha$e wrote:Thanks for the informative posts Cariberry and Autoaccept!

I'm looking for an apartment that's relatively close to campus and furnished, preferably on the cheaper side. So far I like The Lodge and River Mill. Also, the 'Guide to Athens' recommends the River Club Apartments. That place looks pretty nice, too.

If anyone is interested in rooming or has any apartment suggestions, please don't hesitate to let me know :)

Just FYI, most of the boulevard neighborhood is zoned single family IIRC. So you couldn't have more than one roommate that isn't related to you(first cousins only). They do enforce the zoning rules in Athens.

interknight2007 wrote:I've been looking at their site, and these look like pretty convenient places. Finley street seems real close to the Law building and downtown etc.

Make sure it's not the part of Finley by the projects.

ForSure2011
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby ForSure2011 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Does anyone know how to take a non-student guest to a football game? My dad is a huge UGA fan.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Postby eandy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:15 am

ForSure2011 wrote:Does anyone know how to take a non-student guest to a football game? My dad is a huge UGA fan.

It can't be done through student tickets. You'd have to pay regular price. As a student, if you didn't go to UGA for undergrad, you can't even get tickets yourself to every game. You'll get three games (that they select not you). Here is the policy from this year: http://www.georgiadogs.com/tickets/geo- ... ootbl.html

I will say 2 things about this though:
1. Even though it is sketchy, a lot of people end up giving their ID to another student if they have a ticket for a game they can't go to and they look similar. It can work for guests, too, but I don't see it working for a dad.
2. Most people don't go to games. The SBA has a tailgate for the students every game with free beer and usually some kind of food/snack(like chicken biscuits). It's super fun, so not being able to go to the game in the stadium is usually not something people get upset about.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OldArmy and 1 guest