Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
IvanFK

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby IvanFK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Kili wrote:Just making sure:

We submit the commitment response form online and also mail the check to them?

Can an EDer make sure that's all for me? Please and thank you :D

that and you turn down any offer of admission from other schools at this point, i believe
(We EDers had to also withdraw apps but I don't think that's true for you guys)

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Older Chest wrote:Just received an email from Chicago.

It was horrible. Thought it was something good, then bam: no merit aid.

That one stings!

WTF?! You weren't an EDer, were you?

IvanFK

Postby IvanFK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Muenchen wrote:

That one stings!

yea that's unfathomable...even some EDers with lower stats got small scholarships...maybe you should try to negotiate some from the admin office?

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:04 pm

IvanFK wrote:
Muenchen wrote:

That one stings!

yea that's unfathomable...even some EDers with lower stats got small scholarships...maybe you should try to negotiate some from the admin office?

Srsly. Does not compute.

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Muenchen wrote:

That one stings!

Not an EDer.

I appreciate the condolences. My main reason for posting is to help other TLSers brace for the email. I was thinking that an email from Chicago this afternoon was surely good news. Unfortunately, it said that they would be pleased to offer a loan package to cover the cost of school. Blah!

I'm a little surprised, but I guess I wasn't really expecting anything due to average softs.

Oh well, here's to leveraging other offers and hoping :)

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:07 pm

The TLS support is bringing a smile to my face. Oh the power of the internet.

I will definitely try to leverage other offers, but right now I'll wait for NYU and possibly Columbia before sending anything over to Chicago.

Thanks again everyone, and best of luck to people who haven't heard anything yet.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:08 pm

That one stings!

Yeah.. I (kind of) know how you feel. I was pretty disappointed I didnt get enough to reasonably attend. Just informed my SO that I didnt get a big enough offer and that UChicago was out of the picture. She was def not happy since this means Michigan is still in the picture.

ETA: Maybe you should try for Northwestern now?

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:12 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

That one stings!

Yeah.. I (kind of) know how you feel. I was pretty disappointed I didnt get enough to reasonably attend. Just informed my SO that I didnt get a big enough offer and that UChicago was out of the picture. She was def not happy since this means Michigan is still in the picture.

Funny. That is almost the exact conversation I am not excited about having tonight with my SO.

For some reason, "doesn't A2 sound great?" just does not work with the ladies.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:20 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

That one stings!

ETA: Maybe you should try for Northwestern now?

Is your SO going wherever you go? I mean 90K is still a pretty good deal, and you'll much farther ahead of the curve than most. But if Harvard gives you the same then it's a no-brainer.

P.S. Why do people say SO on here? If I was dating someone I'd just say my GF or fiance. You can ignore this question LOL

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Got some money today. Very surprising considering the fact that I didn't even think I could get into UChi!

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:24 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Got some money today. Very surprising considering the fact that I didn't even think I could get into UChi!

It's gotta be the avatar.

Congrats!

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Older Chest wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Got some money today. Very surprising considering the fact that I didn't even think I could get into UChi!

It's gotta be the avatar.

Congrats!

Thank you!

JFo

Postby JFo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:34 pm

sarahlawg wrote:are all of you jan admits? I'm wondering if they're doing it by admit date. Will everyone get an email or only people who are getting offers?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too, since I'm a Feb. admit. It would make it far less stressful to know yes/no, though I'm guessing that since I didn't get a "Here's some loans kthnxbai" email I'm still in the running for like $100.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Kili wrote:Dear Eski,

We are all anxiously awaiting your post in this thread. <3

It looks like good news for Eskimo fans.

From another thread...

dulcatis wrote:
Eski got her uchi offer and wanted me to tell you guys that she's GOING TO CHICAGO!!

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 4102011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Hahaha yeah that's from SF :) She just doesn't have internet access atm.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Is your SO going wherever you go? I mean 90K is still a pretty good deal, and you'll much farther ahead of the curve than most. But if Harvard gives you the same then it's a no-brainer.

P.S. Why do people say SO on here? If I was dating someone I'd just say my GF or fiance. You can ignore this question LOL

Yeah SO plans on going wherever I go (although I get the impression Duke/UVA are not acceptable). Yeah 90k is great but my family is dirt poor so Harvard will likely be pretty close to matching that. Im going to have to do some soul searching b/c Chicago would be really convenient for both me and my SO but at the end of the day I feel like taking on 6 figure debt and turning down the possibility of T-10 schools with near zero debt(especially so if I assume I get a 2L SA)+Harvard would be ridiculous.

P.S. I use SO out of courtesy for same-sex couples who would rather not out their sexuality. Making it part of the vernacular means that it doesnt automatically equal same-sex.

IvanFK

Postby IvanFK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:40 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Is your SO going wherever you go? I mean 90K is still a pretty good deal, and you'll much farther ahead of the curve than most. But if Harvard gives you the same then it's a no-brainer.

Yeah SO plans on going wherever I go (although I get the impression Duke/UVA are not acceptable). Yeah 90k is great but my family is dirt poor so Harvard will likely be pretty close to matching that. Im going to have to do some soul searching b/c Chicago would be really convenient for both me and my SO but at the end of the day I feel like taking on 6 figure debt and turning down the possibility of T-10 schools with near zero debt(especially so if I assume I get a 2L SA)+Harvard would be ridiculous.

P.S. I use SO out of courtesy for same-sex couples who would rather not out their sexuality. Making it part of the vernacular means that it doesnt automatically equal same-sex.

Couldn't you explain your situation to UoC Adcom and try to get more money from them? I feel like UoC should have more scholarship funding this year. Am I being too optimistic about this?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:55 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

I get that. I guess I just figured we were one welcoming TLS community. Maybe that's the East Coast being exposed to everything in me. With that said I hear what you're saying...and the amount Chicago gave me effectively means I'm no longer even considering attending. It's been real in here guys, but I can't take that type of debt on...on top of what I had to do in order to be the first person in my family to go to a top school for undergrad. There's no way.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:57 pm

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:03 pm

How significant were these scholarship decisions if people are locking it up for UChi?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:04 pm

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:06 pm

What are thoughts on Chicago (with $30K) vs. UVA/Duke/Michigan (with about $60K)?

Total costs (judging each school's cost of attendance without looking into how they break down) would be like $30-40K more expensive at Chicago than the rest.

I don't know what to think of it..

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”