Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Hey-O

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Hey-O » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:48 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
glitched wrote:okay let's be honest here. will going to chicago open more doors for me than going to nyu? anyone have any insight on this? haha this is probably a very biased to post this quesiton but stilll. i'd like to hear a defense for yes.

For law firms? Probably not. For things that arent law firms. Undoubtedly yes. Univ of Chicago is an all-world degree to people who know what they are talking about

What do you mean 'all-world' degree?

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:49 pm

arism87 wrote:
JFo wrote:I need at least some friends who like to combine drinking and board games.

:D

Double :D !

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
glitched wrote:okay let's be honest here. will going to chicago open more doors for me than going to nyu? anyone have any insight on this? haha this is probably a very biased to post this quesiton but stilll. i'd like to hear a defense for yes.

For law firms? Probably not. For things that arent law firms. Undoubtedly yes. Univ of Chicago is an all-world degree to people who know what they are talking about

and also why not law firms? according to those NLJ250 rankings or whatever, chicago actually places better than NYU, no?

JFo

Postby JFo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:21 pm

glitched wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

and also why not law firms? according to those NLJ250 rankings or whatever, chicago actually places better than NYU, no?

From my google-fu, it looks like just perception that NYU is better for firm jobs. UChi seem to place better in "top" law firms, but I'd also look at geography. I would imagine if you really want to work in NYC/Northeast, NYU might be a better fit.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:33 pm

JFo wrote:
glitched wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

From my google-fu, it looks like just perception that NYU is better for firm jobs. UChi seem to place better in "top" law firms, but I'd also look at geography. I would imagine if you really want to work in NYC/Northeast, NYU might be a better fit.

There was an interesting debate in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103930&start=50
The thrust of it was Chi places as well if not better into NYC than NYU.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:47 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
glitched wrote:For law firms? Probably not. For things that arent law firms. Undoubtedly yes. Univ of Chicago is an all-world degree to people who know what they are talking about

What do you mean 'all-world' degree?

By "all-world" I mean that the University of Chicago is one of the most respected schools in the world across many fields. It isnt known to just have a good law school, it is known to have a good everything school (especially at the graduate/professional level... unless you want to argue arts but honestly who cares about that).

glitched wrote:and also why not law firms? according to those NLJ250 rankings or whatever, chicago actually places better than NYU, no?

If you are referring to the latest NLJ 250 ranking then yes, Chicago is ahead of NYU by a whopping 3% on that chart which translates to a whopping 5 or 6 students. You cant separate schools based on one year snapshot data like that when things are that close. NYU and Chicago place about equal at NLJ 250 firms.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:02 am

alphamoose wrote:
arism87 wrote:
JFo wrote:I need at least some friends who like to combine drinking and board games.

:D

Double :D !

:D :D :D

lol is this what they mean by nerdy?

edit: I just saw the full initial post and the specific mention of nerdiness. balderdash anyone?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:10 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:16 am

Kili wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:/b]
:D :D :D

lol is this what they mean by nerdy?

edit: I just saw the full initial post and the specific mention of nerdiness. balderdash anyone?

Drunk Taboo is so much more fun.
[/quote]

Most things are more fun while drunk.

IvanFK

Postby IvanFK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:26 am

Emma. wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
The Stig wrote:any thoughts on what to wear to the Day in the Life on Friday? I'd love to just ooze rigor, but it is winter, and my flannel shirts/jeans/vans have gotten pretty comfortable...

Khaki pants, blue blazer, bow tie, gelled hair, and intellectual glasses = the ultimate rigor outfit

This is pretty much our uniform at UChi, so don't let us down.

Or a hoody and baseball cap, whatever you want.

anyone from this thread that shows up to asw dressed exactly like that, i'll give you 20 bucks

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:50 am

IvanFK wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
The Stig wrote:any thoughts on what to wear to the Day in the Life on Friday? I'd love to just ooze rigor, but it is winter, and my flannel shirts/jeans/vans have gotten pretty comfortable...

Khaki pants, blue blazer, bow tie, gelled hair, and intellectual glasses = the ultimate rigor outfit

This is pretty much our uniform at UChi, so don't let us down.

Or a hoody and baseball cap, whatever you want.

anyone from this thread that shows up to asw dressed exactly like that, i'll give you 20 bucks

You need to up this. It's not worth it for $20.

The bow tie alone will cost more than that. I mean bright plaid bow ties are hard to come by. The are niche item.

Unless, of course, someone already owns this outfit. And then they don't deserve the twenty bucks.

IvanFK

Postby IvanFK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:59 am

Hey-O wrote:
You need to up this. It's not worth it for $20.

The bow tie alone will cost more than that. I mean bright plaid bow ties are hard to come by. The are niche item.

Unless, of course, someone already owns this outfit. And then they don't deserve the twenty bucks.

well it doesn't have to be exact to the pattern...anyone else wanna chip in on this? haha (unfortunately i'm not rolling in dough enough to make someone actually do it just for the money by myself)

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:49 pm

With enough chat chats I think we can catch the UVA thread.

JFo

Postby JFo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Goodwill my friends, Goodwill. Except for the pants. I'd recommend http://www.rustyzipper.com. They've got a yellow pair of pants that would probably fit most of you dudes. I would also strongly support someone wearing those navy shorts with crabs on them instead of the pants.

While I love Balderdash/Taboo, my favorite non-board game to play while drunk is probably Jenga. We call it Drinka. I"m going to go ahead and out myself as a humungous nerd, and say I hope there will be some drunk Catan/Dominion/Risk/Diplomacy fans too.

Also, come on Chicago. Send me $ so I can w/draw all my apps. We both know you want to.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Rather than one guy wearing that outfit, I think it would be funnier if every guy from TLS wears it. Then we claim that this is how we regularly dress and in no way was it coordinated. If it gets to 5 or over, I'm in. My bow tie is going to be extra floppy though.

JFo

Postby JFo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:00 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:...this is how we regularly dress and in no way was it coordinated...

It's not...? :shock:

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:01 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:My bow tie is going to be extra floppy though.

I've heard that about you.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Sentry wrote:

Damn. I thought Illinois would be far away enough from FL to escape my floppy reputation.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:05 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:
Sentry wrote:

Damn. I thought Illinois would be far away enough from FL to escape my floppy reputation.

It's a hard reputation to shake.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:06 pm

Sentry wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:
Sentry wrote:

It's a hard reputation to shake.

Shake + floppy = bad news lol

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 pm

JFo wrote:come on Chicago. Send me $ so I can w/draw all my apps. We both know you want to.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Talk about rigor, there is a kid in the class I am sitting in on playing one of the most rigorous games of tetris I have ever seen :D ...to be fair, the percentage of students taking furious notes is way higher here that at the class I sat in on at Michigan...

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 pm

The Stig wrote:Talk about rigor, there is a kid in the class I am sitting in on playing one of the most rigorous games of tetris I have ever seen :D ...to be fair, the percentage of students taking furious notes is way higher here that at the class I sat in on at Michigan...

Tetris is no joke.

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:35 pm

The Stig wrote:Talk about rigor, there is a kid in the class I am sitting in on playing one of the most rigorous games of tetris I have ever seen :D ...to be fair, the percentage of students taking furious notes is way higher here that at the class I sat in on at Michigan...

Ugh.

Stig, please tell me that all of the students are not taking the exact same notes? That would be serious waste of efficiency.

booboo

Postby booboo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Wait... Why are you posting on TLS and not taking notes?

This is where you fail.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”