Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby TLSNYC » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Guardiola wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:I haven't actually been able to be present for any of the chats...does anyone know how you can view them afterwards? Also, is everyone in here committed to Chicago? Any one still considering it? What schools are you comparing it too?


I'm still deciding between Penn and Chi. I'm hoping the financial information that comes out later this month makes my decision for me. Also going to both ASW's and trying to get a feel for each school.

Although, I get the feeling from reading this thread that I'm in the minority.


I'm in a similar boat as you -- I am comparing UChicago to Penn & NYU. Given my strong desire to work in NYC post-grad and the fact that my SO lives in NJ, I am leaning towards the latter, but money from Chicago could certainly sway me.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Guardiola wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:I haven't actually been able to be present for any of the chats...does anyone know how you can view them afterwards? Also, is everyone in here committed to Chicago? Any one still considering it? What schools are you comparing it too?


I'm still deciding between Penn and Chi. I'm hoping the financial information that comes out later this month makes my decision for me. Also going to both ASW's and trying to get a feel for each school.

Although, I get the feeling from reading this thread that I'm in the minority.


I'm considering these two also...plus UVA because of the money they threw at me. I'm hoping Penn and Chi feel generous as well... big money at Chi would put an end to my cycle.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Nah I'm still deciding between UChi, NYU and now Columbia. I actually know people at UChi who have told me good things about it and its teaching, but I like the externships/internships at Columbia more. In the end we'll see who lives me more and gives me more money and which student body I like more. If this thread is any indication Chi's class will be more chill.

User avatar
Guardiola
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Guardiola » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Nah I'm still deciding between UChi, NYU and now Columbia. I actually know people at UChi who have told me good things about it and its teaching, but I like the externships/internships at Columbia more. In the end we'll see who lives me more and gives me more money and which student body I like more. If this thread is any indication Chi's class will be more chill.


That's one of the big things I'll be looking at during the ASW's. Looking around at my (possible) future classmates would be a first look at the people I might be spending the next three years with. Even though a weekend isn't much, I'm hoping to try to get a good sense of the class that they have put together.

User avatar
alphamoose
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby alphamoose » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:26 pm

.
Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Sentry » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Nah I'm still deciding between UChi, NYU and now Columbia. I actually know people at UChi who have told me good things about it and its teaching, but I like the externships/internships at Columbia more. In the end we'll see who lives me more and gives me more money and which student body I like more. If this thread is any indication Chi's class will be more chill.

I don't know if this thread is indicative of the whole student body going by the chats. Like I said...

Sentry wrote:If this chat were taking place in the real world we tlsers would be in the back smoking menthols making fun of all the kids asking noob questions.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:52 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Sentry » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Kili wrote:Lol what Sentry said. Although, the TLSer's will become an elitist clique.

FTFY.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:06 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Sentry wrote:
Kili wrote:Lol what Sentry said. Although, the TLSer's will become an elitist clique.

FTFY.

All that "rigor" talk...that didn't look like rigor to me LOL. That chat was atrocious.

User avatar
rbarcelo9
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby rbarcelo9 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:11 am

Still waiting for UChicago/Hilton to announce when we can get one of those rooms...

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Muenchen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:39 pm

I just got an e-mail response from the admissions office that included a smiley. This made me sufficiently uncomfortable that I am considering filing a sexual harassment complaint. Any thoughts?

ETA: I'm considering hiring the angry face ( :x ) as my attorney...

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:11 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby glitched » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:13 pm

did you order one or did they send one as part of a package?

User avatar
alphamoose
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby alphamoose » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:15 pm

.
Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:16 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby glitched » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 pm

haha cool. oh i think this might be an appropriate place to ask since all of you seem dead-set on Chicago. what made you decide to attend chicago over any of its peer schools?

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Sentry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 pm

glitched wrote:haha cool. oh i think this might be an appropriate place to ask since all of you seem dead-set on Chicago. what made you decide to attend chicago over any of its peer schools?

I love the city, it's a great school, and it's not a TTT like NorTTThwestern.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:49 pm

glitched wrote:haha cool. oh i think this might be an appropriate place to ask since all of you seem dead-set on Chicago. what made you decide to attend chicago over any of its peer schools?

Chicago > NYC, flights home are cheaper from there, small class size FTW, I look good in maroon, etc.

IvanFK
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby IvanFK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:54 pm

the rigor...of course -_-

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Hey-O » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 pm

I'm not dead set. I'm choosing between Columbia and Chicago. The class size and the reputation for debate and rigor are appealing to me with Chicago. But I want to go into PI and Chicago is not real strong.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Hey-O wrote:I'm not dead set. I'm choosing between Columbia and Chicago. The class size and the reputation for debate and rigor are appealing to me with Chicago. But I want to go into PI and Chicago is not real strong.

Exactly my predicament. I've been going to these chats hoping they would give me some hope with this supposed new focus but they're not doing it. Externships/Clinics at Columbia dwarf Chicago. But I've heard nothing but good things about UChi's professors and mixed things about Columbia.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Hey-O » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Hey-O wrote:I'm not dead set. I'm choosing between Columbia and Chicago. The class size and the reputation for debate and rigor are appealing to me with Chicago. But I want to go into PI and Chicago is not real strong.

Exactly my predicament. I've been going to these chats hoping they would give me some hope with this supposed new focus but they're not doing it. Externships/Clinics at Columbia dwarf Chicago. But I've heard nothing but good things about UChi's professors and mixed things about Columbia.


This is so true. I'm sort of weighing opportunities vs. experience and education. I'm big on experience and education. I'm a huge nerd and am looking at perhaps teaching someday. So, I want to go to a school with a top notch educational experience. But I also want a kickin' PI job with an international focus when I graduate so...I don't know.

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby The Stig » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:13 am

any thoughts on what to wear to the Day in the Life on Friday? I'd love to just ooze rigor, but it is winter, and my flannel shirts/jeans/vans have gotten pretty comfortable...

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Muenchen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:06 am

The Stig wrote:any thoughts on what to wear to the Day in the Life on Friday? I'd love to just ooze rigor, but it is winter, and my flannel shirts/jeans/vans have gotten pretty comfortable...


Khaki pants, blue blazer, bow tie, gelled hair, and intellectual glasses = the ultimate rigor outfit
Image




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest