Chicago Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Xifeng

Gold

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Post by Xifeng » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:27 am

trudat15 wrote:I know that this has been asked and answered before either here or in the uchi 2ls taking ?s thread, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone remember the general time we can expect to be out of class on Fridays? Trying to buy a flight.
From the schedule they released, the latest class ends at 3:20 (we kind of BS'd section stuff here, but it's probably not right: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 5#p4700436)

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:27 am

Last edited by Ghost on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:28 am

Ghost wrote:Anyone have experience with Curio? I've been meaning to test it out. Might be overly complicated, though.
omfg tar

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:37 am

Last edited by Ghost on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:39 am

Ghost wrote:
Dany wrote:
Ghost wrote:Anyone have experience with Curio? I've been meaning to test it out. Might be overly complicated, though.
omfg tar
Sorry for the picquote, but this way we can find you at orientation <3

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:46 am

Last edited by Ghost on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:52 am

Ohh forgot about those schedules you guys came up with. Thanks!

bruinrandy

New

Post by bruinrandy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 am

Lisi wrote: --Tuition is due on the 16th of September, so loans will process through system, pay the tuition, fees, and health insurance (if you signed up for it), and the rest will be directed to you soon after (they will send you a check if you didn't sign up for direct deposit).
--You can pick up your student ID as of Sept. 1st. You pick it up in the Regenstein library (57th between University and Ellis), on the first floor.
Thank you very much for these tidbits especially as well as the others. I'll be there on the third so knowing that i can use the gym and access places with my card is great.
You wouldn't have happened to ask about when "refunds" or stipend money will be deposited? (assuming direct deposit works)

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:54 am

bruinrandy wrote: Thank you very much for these tidbits especially as well as the others. I'll be there on the third so knowing that i can use the gym and access places with my card is great.
You wouldn't have happened to ask about when "refunds" or stipend money will be deposited? (assuming direct deposit works)
I did ask, but he didn't have a definite answer. The answer was sometime soon after the 16th. Since the 16th is a Friday, I'm assuming it comes sometime during the following week, which is orientation.
As for the access, that is what the guy told me, so we'll see if he's right. I just wonder about it a little b/c at my grad school, they wouldn't let us in the gym until we could show them (in print out form) that our student activities fee had been paid for the semester. But maybe U of C is different. The health center stuff is more certain because I called them a couple weeks ago and asked them about coverage and care before officially starting classes, and they said that it's available Sept 1st even for those who don't start school for the first time until later that month.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:50 am

Lisi wrote: As for the access, that is what the guy told me, so we'll see if he's right. I just wonder about it a little b/c at my grad school, they wouldn't let us in the gym until we could show them (in print out form) that our student activities fee had been paid for the semester. But maybe U of C is different. The health center stuff is more certain because I called them a couple weeks ago and asked them about coverage and care before officially starting classes, and they said that it's available Sept 1st even for those who don't start school for the first time until later that month.
All you need to use the gym is a functioning student ID. I used it well before classes started.

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:01 am

marburger06 wrote: All you need to use the gym is a functioning student ID. I used it well before classes started.
Cool, thanks for the heads up!

bruinrandy

New

Post by bruinrandy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Lisi wrote:
bruinrandy wrote: Thank you very much for these tidbits especially as well as the others. I'll be there on the third so knowing that i can use the gym and access places with my card is great.
I did ask, but he didn't have a definite answer. The answer was sometime soon after the 16th. Since the 16th is a Friday, I'm assuming it comes sometime during the following week, which is orientation.
As for the access, that is what the guy told me, so we'll see if he's right. I just wonder about it a little b/c at my grad school, they wouldn't let us in the gym until we could show them (in print out form) that our student activities fee had been paid for the semester. But maybe U of C is different. The health center stuff is more certain because I called them a couple weeks ago and asked them about coverage and care before officially starting classes, and they said that it's available Sept 1st even for those who don't start school for the first time until later that month.
also i think online statements have our student activities fee paid on them now, so if worse comes to worse you could just print that out.

thedude221

Bronze

Post by thedude221 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:17 pm

Lisi wrote:Just went over to the law school, here are some things people may want to know (unless I'm really behind, and you all know this stuff already).
--All of the tuition bills went out a few days ago. If you didn't get an email with your tuition bill, it's probably because you didn't sign up for E-Billing (which you can do on the Bursar website - accessible through a link on the June newsletter). While on that website, it may be helpful to sign up for direct deposit for the stipend.
--Tuition is due on the 16th of September, so loans will process through system, pay the tuition, fees, and health insurance (if you signed up for it), and the rest will be directed to you soon after (they will send you a check if you didn't sign up for direct deposit).
--You can pick up your student ID as of Sept. 1st. You pick it up in the Regenstein library (57th between University and Ellis), on the first floor.
--Once you have your student ID you should be able to access all of the places law students can access, which, I was told, includes Ratner (the gym).
--As of Sept. 1st, you can see a doctor in the medical center if you signed up for U of C insurance.
So, basically, it seems that there is a 1/2 month grace period in which we can use the facilities, access healthcare, etc. before our tuition payments go through. At least this is what I was told (well, actually I summarized it this way to the guy in admissions / financial aid, and he nodded in agreement).
Also, for those that are not bringing cars but want access to a car, there are several zip car lots on campus, one of which is about a block and a half east of the law school.
I believe that if you don't do anything you are automatically signed up for U of C's health insurance policy so I don't think you even need to sign up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:09 pm

Email about the Perkins MPN just went out, for those of you waiting for that.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:12 pm

Dany wrote:Email about the Perkins MPN just went out, for those of you waiting for that.
idk what that is, so I'm going to assume it doesn't apply to me.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Dany wrote:Email about the Perkins MPN just went out, for those of you waiting for that.
idk what that is, so I'm going to assume it doesn't apply to me.
QF how I made it through the applications process.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Enormous picture of Ikea desk is enormous.

FloridaGirl

Silver

Post by FloridaGirl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm not going to UChi for law school, but my husband is starting a post-doc there in October. I found this apartment that I really like - http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/listing.php?id=219033 - but is 54th and Drexel Ave. too close to Washington Park? Also is the person subletting telling me the absolute truth when she says street parking isn't bad there?

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:42 am

FloridaGirl wrote:I'm not going to UChi for law school, but my husband is starting a post-doc there in October. I found this apartment that I really like - http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/listing.php?id=219033 - but is 54th and Drexel Ave. too close to Washington Park? Also is the person subletting telling me the absolute truth when she says street parking isn't bad there?
Generally speaking, there is street parking, but it's not like there are tons of empty spots all over the place. You have to jump on the spots. At the same time, 54th and Drexel is far enough from the campus, that you probably will have more parking than otherwise. There's a parking garage on 55th and (don't remember, but possibly University or Ellis), so that is an option if you want to have a back up option (you do have to pay for parking there on a quarterly basis). I've had friends who have lived on Drexel (I think they lived on Drexel and 56th) about 8 years ago (although the neighborhood hasn't changed substantially). The general consensus among students looking to live out of University Housing is that Drexel is okay.

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:44 am

trudat15 wrote:I didn't really know the value of one note until I read http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=163781 and realized what a powerful program it is. Esp when coupled with outlook.
Thanks so much for posting this! I'm definitely going to learn to use these programs. My tendency would normally be to just use MS Word, but I think this is one of those times where a little effort up front could really pay off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FloridaGirl

Silver

Post by FloridaGirl » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Lisi wrote:
FloridaGirl wrote:I'm not going to UChi for law school, but my husband is starting a post-doc there in October. I found this apartment that I really like - http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/listing.php?id=219033 - but is 54th and Drexel Ave. too close to Washington Park? Also is the person subletting telling me the absolute truth when she says street parking isn't bad there?
Generally speaking, there is street parking, but it's not like there are tons of empty spots all over the place. You have to jump on the spots. At the same time, 54th and Drexel is far enough from the campus, that you probably will have more parking than otherwise. There's a parking garage on 55th and (don't remember, but possibly University or Ellis), so that is an option if you want to have a back up option (you do have to pay for parking there on a quarterly basis). I've had friends who have lived on Drexel (I think they lived on Drexel and 56th) about 8 years ago (although the neighborhood hasn't changed substantially). The general consensus among students looking to live out of University Housing is that Drexel is okay.

Thanks!

Gear

New

Post by Gear » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:28 am

Muenchen wrote:Enormous picture of Ikea desk is enormous.
Looking forward to more real-time updates on the lost Macbook charger.

#firstworldproblem

sojuteacher

Bronze

Post by sojuteacher » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:25 am

i might need to ask this in the 2l thread too, but ilkl start here.
1.I want to get my suit pressed before the formal dinner because it will be in a suitcase for a few weeks. Is there someplace near campus or a service for students I can use (i.e. clothes pick up)?

2. would you all judge me if I wear crocs to class?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:30 am

sojuteacher wrote: 2. would you all judge me if I wear crocs to class?
Yes. Not because I believe class requires certain clothing, but because crocs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”