Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
BigRed1988

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby BigRed1988 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:21 pm

JFo wrote:Hi! Welcome from the crazy cat/dog lady contingent!

...Does that make me URM?...Especially as a boy?

Skating = Yes.

--ImageRemoved--

^ Class of 2014?

coolgreen42

Postby coolgreen42 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:26 pm

So, I just got my loan letter (email) and it has an amount of loan eligibility that is too low. This is because we don't get the grad plus loans yet, right? It does list an amount for Graduate PLUS Direct Loan...

But after June 15, I will get the rest of the money, right?

I'm a little freaked out by this...

afcanoe

Postby afcanoe » Sat May 21, 2011 11:14 am

coolgreen42 wrote:

OMG that ruffle-y sweater is amazing. Is your mom taking orders?? :)

Also, I just signed a lease! I'm going to be living in Lakeview and driving down to HP each day. I wish I could help y'all out with a lead, but my cousin (who lives in Chicago) is actually the one who found the place for me (it's a privately owned apt/condo). Either way, though, I'm super excited! It feels real now. Moving in July 3rd!

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Sat May 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afcanoe

Postby afcanoe » Sat May 21, 2011 3:10 pm

alphamoose wrote:
afcanoe wrote:
Also, I just signed a lease! I'm going to be living in Lakeview and driving down to HP each day. I wish I could help y'all out with a lead, but my cousin (who lives in Chicago) is actually the one who found the place for me (it's a privately owned apt/condo). Either way, though, I'm super excited! It feels real now. Moving in July 3rd!

Congrats on finding a place! For the driving, are you going to get a permit for that one lot or just get there at 8 every morning?

Thanks! I think I'm going to start out trying to get there early every day. I may need to leave in the middle of the day to let my dogs out, though, so the permit may be necessary. I want to wait and get a sense of the availability of street parking (unless parking permits have to be purchased by a certain date or run the risk of running out...anyone?).

Also, I hope I haven't freaked out anyone who hasn't found a place/hasn't started looking yet. One thing I learned from the process is that the Chicago rental market moves really fast. People don't have to notify their landlords that they'll be vacating until 30 days before moving out, so properties aren't really available until about a month and a half before you want to start your lease. We started looking for July 1st in April, and we were told that it was way too early. So, if you're interested in starting your lease in August or September, you shouldn't start seriously looking until mid-June (for August) or mid-July (for September).

bruinrandy

Postby bruinrandy » Sat May 21, 2011 4:19 pm

I look forward to meeting you all in Hyde park come September!

SebXIII

Postby SebXIII » Sat May 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Hey everyone. I've been a long-time lurker but I'm new to posting on the boards.

I just wanted to say hi to everyone on here; I can't wait to meet you guys come this fall! I've been doing my best to keep up with all the posts in this thread (although I skipped through some of the earlier ones in the beginning). From what I've gleaned, RIGOR, Pokemon, Dog/Cat pictures, and Internet memes seem to be relevant to everyone's interests here...which is awesome because I love all of the above. :D

Obligatory cat pictures coming soon. Have to find where they are hiding first... :P

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sat May 21, 2011 7:39 pm

SebXIII wrote:Hey everyone. I've been a long-time lurker but I'm new to posting on the boards.

I just wanted to say hi to everyone on here; I can't wait to meet you guys come this fall! I've been doing my best to keep up with all the posts in this thread (although I skipped through some of the earlier ones in the beginning). From what I've gleaned, RIGOR, Pokemon, Dog/Cat pictures, and Internet memes seem to be relevant to everyone's interests here...which is awesome because I love all of the above. :D

Obligatory cat pictures coming soon. Have to find where they are hiding first... :P

Ooooo new people, welcome! I'm glad you've been trying to keep up and I think we all expect some pet pictures or memes in the near future.

bruinrandy

Postby bruinrandy » Sat May 21, 2011 8:45 pm

any of the incoming class considering university owned apartments? if so which ones?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat May 21, 2011 9:23 pm

bruinrandy wrote:any of the incoming class considering university owned apartments? if so which ones?

I think the majority of us are going with private apartments. A ton of people are living in Regents (though I've seen that more in the facebook group than this thread.) Speaking of the facebook group I'm happy to add anyone if you haven't joined yet! Just PM me.

bruinrandy

Postby bruinrandy » Sat May 21, 2011 9:33 pm

did i read correctly that regents is about 15 minutes away but there is a shuttle that goes back and forth? I'm going to join the facebook group now. Might be looking for a roommate if i choose to live at regents, I like the affordable prices of apartments near campus. That is, affordable in comparison to apartments around UCLA.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat May 21, 2011 9:36 pm

bruinrandy wrote:did i read correctly that regents is about 15 minutes away but there is a shuttle that goes back and forth? I'm going to join the facebook group now. Might be looking for a roommate if i choose to live at regents, I like the affordable prices of apartments near campus. That is, affordable in comparison to apartments around UCLA.

The buses in Hyde Park (171 & 172 for sure - not sure what others) are free to UChicago students and they go straight from the door of Regents to the door of the law school. I went from the law school -> Regents while I was visiting and thought it was really convenient. As for looking for housing around the law school, most current students have told me not to live south or west of the law school.

bruinrandy

Postby bruinrandy » Sat May 21, 2011 9:44 pm

thanks that's very helpful. because i won't be able to visit the school before i get my apartment. Good to know the good/bad or at least popular/not popular areas of hyde park.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Sat May 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Dany wrote:
bruinrandy wrote:did i read correctly that regents is about 15 minutes away but there is a shuttle that goes back and forth? I'm going to join the facebook group now. Might be looking for a roommate if i choose to live at regents, I like the affordable prices of apartments near campus. That is, affordable in comparison to apartments around UCLA.

The buses in Hyde Park (171 & 172 for sure - not sure what others) are free to UChicago students and they go straight from the door of Regents to the door of the law school. I went from the law school -> Regents while I was visiting and thought it was really convenient. As for looking for housing around the law school, most current students have told me not to live south or west of the law school.

This is good/correct information.

You can check out the bus routes on transitchicago.com or view them live at uchicago.transloc.com. The free routes for students are the 170, the 171, and the 172. The 172 is the one that goes from Regents to the law school. The 171 has a different route through Hyde Park for students who don't live at Regents but still takes you to the law school. The 170 circles around the Midway on campus (I think). So if you find a place that is on the route of either the 171 or 172 you will have a convenient way to and from the law school.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:10 pm

California Babe wrote:This is good/correct information.

You can check out the bus routes on transitchicago.com or view them live at uchicago.transloc.com. The free routes for students are the 170, the 171, and the 172. The 172 is the one that goes from Regents to the law school. The 171 has a different route through Hyde Park for students who don't live at Regents but still takes you to the law school. The 170 circles around the Midway on campus (I think). So if you find a place that is on the route of either the 171 or 172 you will have a convenient way to and from the law school.

The easiest way to see how long it will take is to put the two points on google maps and use the public transit routing.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Sat May 21, 2011 10:49 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
California Babe wrote:This is good/correct information.

The easiest way to see how long it will take is to put the two points on google maps and use the public transit routing.

I suppose. Either of those two routes (from the farthest point on the route) is going to get you to school in 10-25 minutes depending on what time of the day it is.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon May 23, 2011 9:45 am

Seventeen weeks.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon May 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Got my travel reimbursement check in the mail today.

bruinrandy

Postby bruinrandy » Mon May 23, 2011 10:03 pm

anybody a sf giants or recreational racket ball fan? I know we probably won't have much time to play but it's a good way to exercise and relieve stress

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon May 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Mon May 23, 2011 10:20 pm

bruinrandy wrote:anybody a sf giants or recreational racket ball fan? I know we probably won't have much time to play but it's a good way to exercise and relieve stress

I am down for racquetball (and tennis if anyone is interested). Being from San Diego, I try to be a Padres fan, but I actually enjoy watching the Giants more at this point -- nice to see a team with such solid pitching and defense. Plus, the Padres are not exactly contending for a pennant any time soon.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon May 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Xifeng wrote:http://www.ikeahackers.net/p/quick-start-guide-to-ikea-hackers.html

Seek help.

JFo

Postby JFo » Tue May 24, 2011 12:40 am

Muenchen wrote:
Xifeng wrote:http://www.ikeahackers.net/p/quick-start-guide-to-ikea-hackers.html

Seek help.

I agree with the above. In so much as "seek help" means "help me do this to my stuff." In return I will offer to fix your vacuum if it breaks. I love the barter system!

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue May 24, 2011 12:43 am

I want to be in Chicago now.

bruinrandy

Postby bruinrandy » Tue May 24, 2011 1:19 am

Older Chest wrote:
bruinrandy wrote:anybody a sf giants or recreational racket ball fan? I know we probably won't have much time to play but it's a good way to exercise and relieve stress

I am down for racquetball (and tennis if anyone is interested). Being from San Diego, I try to be a Padres fan, but I actually enjoy watching the Giants more at this point -- nice to see a team with such solid pitching and defense. Plus, the Padres are not exactly contending for a pennant any time soon.

cool. Definitely down for either, though I would prefer racketball because my tennis experience is very very little, don't want to waste your time. Giants are definitely fun to watch. "Giants Baseball: Torture"

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”