Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Knock

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Muenchen wrote:
Knock wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
Knock wrote:How are you planning on getting to the law school and how long will that take?

I'm guessing this is where you become a big advocate for a free UPass for all Chicago students, eh?

Me or Sentry? I'm for it regardless of where I live.

Oh, that was actually directed at Sentry since Lakeview is so much further north. I'm a little ambivalent about the free UPass, so we'll have to see what they decide. I think no matter what we won't be having it this year, is what they said. Maybe 2012.

Hmm, I wonder if a current student could clarify the UPass situation. My host said he thought they would have it for next year. I really hope they do.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Muenchen wrote:
Oh, that was actually directed at Sentry since Lakeview is so much further north. I'm a little ambivalent about the free UPass, so we'll have to see what they decide. I think no matter what we won't be having it this year, is what they said. Maybe 2012.

Thought there was some conflicting info on this one - one 1L said this year, another said 2012.
In any case, I hope they do it.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Muenchen wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
Knock wrote:Me or Sentry? I'm for it regardless of where I live.

Do you think it's even possible to find parking at the school on a daily basis?

From what I have heard, there is street parking available if you get there early in the morning, like 7:30. There is also a student lot you can buy a pass for but it's several blocks from the law school building and, as you'd expect, it's not cheap.

$70 a month isn't too unreasonable, I pay $5 a day right now, which comes out to around $100 a month.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Knock wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Not sure I read in the Chicago discuss your law school thread there is a parking lot 2 blocks from the school which you can park in for somewhere in the ~$70 a month range. Otherwise you have to get there like before 8am to get a spot on the street.

But as far as the UPass, isn't that for the subway/L?

Think it's for anything CTA (buses and L - though we get 172/171 with our Uchi IDs anyways), but wont work with Metra. Not positive though

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:02 pm

CastleRock wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

From what I have heard, there is street parking available if you get there early in the morning, like 7:30. There is also a student lot you can buy a pass for but it's several blocks from the law school building and, as you'd expect, it's not cheap.

$70 a month isn't too unreasonable, I pay $5 a day right now, which comes out to around $100 a month.

Yeah, makes sense. Where are you thinking about living? If we're in the same section you should give me rides to campus :).

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:02 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Knock wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Not sure I read in the Chicago discuss your law school thread there is a parking lot 2 blocks from the school which you can park in for somewhere in the ~$70 a month range. Otherwise you have to get there like before 8am to get a spot on the street.

But as far as the UPass, isn't that for the subway/L?

Think it's for anything CTA (buses and L - though we get 172/171 with our Uchi IDs anyways), but wont work with Metra. Not positive though

Ooh that sounds even better. What's the difference between the L and the Metra?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Knock wrote:Yeah, makes sense. Where are you thinking about living? If we're in the same section you should give me rides to campus :).

If I come to Chicago I'll most likely be at regents. Although, as someone with a large background in finance, the idea of paying rent absolutely kills me. So if I'm there I will be there with my car and you'll likely get a ride. 8)

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:05 pm

CastleRock wrote:If I come to Chicago I'll most likely be at regents. Although, as someone with a large background in finance, the idea of paying rent absolutely kills me. So if I'm there I will be there with my car and you'll likely get a ride. 8)

Awesome. Now you have to come to Chi :).

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Xifeng wrote:List of people interested in awesome furniture decorating?

Xifeng
Dany
alphamoose
afcanoe
JFo

I'll come and bring wine, but only if there's food and I don't have to participate in decorating but can just hang out. Deal?

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Knock wrote:Ooh that sounds even better. What's the difference between the L and the Metra?

Metra is commuter train, not run by CTA. It's always on time and very clean. It reminded me of Amtrak a bit, but it's also pretty cheap (Mag Mile to Hyde Park was $2.50).
Took it a few times during ASW down to Hyde Park (it stops 6-7 blocks from the law school).

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:07 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Knock wrote:Ooh that sounds even better. What's the difference between the L and the Metra?

Metra is commuter train, not run by CTA. It's always on time and very clean. It reminded me of Amtrak a bit, but it's also pretty cheap (Mag Mile to Hyde Park was $2.50).
Took it a few times during ASW down to Hyde Park (it stops 6-7 blocks from the law school).

Is it the double-decker train? I saw one while I was there, I didn't know what it was.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Knock wrote:
CastleRock wrote:If I come to Chicago I'll most likely be at regents. Although, as someone with a large background in finance, the idea of paying rent absolutely kills me. So if I'm there I will be there with my car and you'll likely get a ride. 8)

Awesome. Now you have to come to Chi :).

Now if only this decision wasn't so fucking difficult! :x

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:09 pm

trudat15 wrote:

Ah I see. Too bad we can't get that too, but the bus and L should be enough for most of my transportation needs I think :).

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:12 pm

CastleRock wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

Is it the double-decker train? I saw one while I was there, I didn't know what it was.

Yeah, I think it's double decker. The top level seemed really small (I normally just sat at the first seat I saw on the first level).

Knock wrote:Ah I see. Too bad we can't get that too, but the bus and L should be enough for most of my transportation needs I think :).

Again, I'm not 100% sure UPASS would get both, but I thought I read that it would do anything the CTA runs. I had day CTA passes during my time in Chicago, and they worked on both as well.

EDIT: Looks like it does include all buses and L. And that every other school in Chicago is already on board:
--LinkRemoved--

afcanoe

Postby afcanoe » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Muenchen wrote:

Xifeng
Dany
alphamoose
afcanoe
JFo

I'll come and bring wine, but only if there's food and I don't have to participate in decorating but can just hang out. Deal?

As long as you bring the libations, I'm fine with that. Also, I can likely promise some delicious baked goods. :)

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Get to school via train and bus should take about an hour each way. Very much in favor of the upass.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:54 pm

afcanoe wrote:
Muenchen wrote:

Xifeng
Dany
alphamoose
afcanoe
JFo

As long as you bring the libations, I'm fine with that. Also, I can likely promise some delicious baked goods. :)

I'll be sure to bring a nice bottle or two of Riesling or Pinot Noir. I'd love some cupcakes to go along with it :wink:

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afcanoe

Postby afcanoe » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Muenchen wrote:
afcanoe wrote:
Muenchen wrote:

Xifeng
Dany
alphamoose
afcanoe
JFo

I'll be sure to bring a nice bottle or two of Riesling or Pinot Noir. I'd love some cupcakes to go along with it :wink:

Good choices. How do you feel about red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting?

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:50 pm

afcanoe wrote:Good choices. How do you feel about red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting?

Your offer is accepted. We have a deal!

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:55 pm

afcanoe wrote:Good choices. How do you feel about red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting?

I'm a fan of all cupcakes and want in!

afcanoe

Postby afcanoe » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:13 pm

alphamoose wrote:

Oh my goodness. Please make me these. :mrgreen:

Well, you are clearly included in the furniture construction & bedazzlement party, so red velvet cupcakes you shall have. :mrgreen:

sarahlawg wrote:

I'm a fan of all cupcakes and want in!

As far as I'm concerned, making cupcakes isn't worth the trouble unless I'm making a lot. Now you just have to make sure that Muenchen brings enough wine...

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”