Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Xifeng

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Xifeng » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Maybe someday I'll get to 1000 posts! Must be a great feeling :D

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Xifeng wrote:Maybe someday I'll get to 1000 posts! Must be a great feeling :D

It take a lot of work and focus. Not everyone is capable of it.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Xifeng wrote:Okay so we need to investigate if Chicago has a quidditch team. Because I just played with my school's and it was AWESOME!!

I hear they're building a domed quidditch stadium at U of C so people can quidditch year-round.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:47 pm

Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:00 am

Xifeng wrote:
Knock wrote:
Xifeng wrote:Okay so we need to investigate if Chicago has a quidditch team. Because I just played with my school's and it was AWESOME!!

I hear they're building a domed quidditch stadium at U of C so people can quidditch year-round.

Why do you tease me ;_;

Um, he isn't teasing you. Here's an image from the construction:

Twas actually just completed, here's another view from the inside:

Galnnn

Postby Galnnn » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:31 pm

Hey The Law School-ers

I'm trying to decide if I should go to UChicago. I've lived in Hyde Park before and know it well. Can you tell me some of the reasons that you're really excited to go to UChi? I'm having a hard time imagining going there and never went to the ASW or anything, so I dont' know what to think about it. Help me realize what is awesome about Chicago!

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Galnnn wrote:Hey The Law School-ers

I'm trying to decide if I should go to UChicago. I've lived in Hyde Park before and know it well. Can you tell me some of the reasons that you're really excited to go to UChi? I'm having a hard time imagining going there and never went to the ASW or anything, so I dont' know what to think about it. Help me realize what is awesome about Chicago!

Employment prospects. What are your other options?

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:48 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153238

I don't know about other people, but I'm not really going to try to sell the school to you. You can see that thread and others in the Choosing a Law School forum, but I don't think too many people will care enough to try to convince you to come.

/blunt honesty

Galnnn

Postby Galnnn » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Knock wrote:

My other option is Stanford, so I'm not worried about employment from either school.

For what it's worth I've read through these forums, and in terms of numbers I don't think there's a lot to definitively differentiate Stanford and Chicago. But now I have to choose between them, and I'm trying to figure out what really excites my maybe-future-classmates about Chicago. I get it with Stanford, but I don't think I'm seeing the whole picture at Chicago, so I was just wondering what made the people on this thread so thrilled to go that they filled up 180 pages of mostly inside jokes :)

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:07 pm

From phone:

1. Employment prospects (including clerkships and academia)
2. Professors (my host had two of the top cited professors during his 1L year)
3. Professor teaching ability and accessibility (U of C covers expenses for professors to take you to lunch, superstars actually teach classes)
4. Small Class Size
5. Quarters (interdisciplinary benefits, plus it really eases you into law school. drawback is that sporting quarter is brutal).
6. New LRAP
7. The students
8. Clinical Opportunities
9. COA (cheapest of its peers)
10. Comfy library chairs (this may be the most important factor)
11. Generous financial aid. The Rubensteins pumped some money in the school and freed up money for students.
Last edited by Knock on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Galnnn wrote:
Knock wrote:

My other option is Stanford, so I'm not worried about employment from either school.

For what it's worth I've read through these forums, and in terms of numbers I don't think there's a lot to definitively differentiate Stanford and Chicago. But now I have to choose between them, and I'm trying to figure out what really excites my maybe-future-classmates about Chicago. I get it with Stanford, but I don't think I'm seeing the whole picture at Chicago, so I was just wondering what made the people on this thread so thrilled to go that they filled up 180 pages of mostly inside jokes :)

I think it depends what you want out of law school. If you want to be on the west coast, Stanford, but I think UChi places better out east.

Honestly, if your debt load at both schools is going to be equal, I'd probably choose Stanford unless you are interested in law & economics stuff. That is just my personal opinion though. I love UChi but I am sure I would have loved Stanford just as much if I'd been able to go there.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Galnnn wrote:
Knock wrote:

How much scholarship money did you get from each school? I think thats what this decision would come down to me if I were in your shoes.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Galnnn, here are my thoughts from my visit:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=141661&start=2900#p4240671

and I'm glad to answer any questions you have (but I think a combination of what Emma and knock said should be the main factors: [east coast v. west coast] + money.)

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Dany wrote:Galnnn, here are my thoughts from my visit:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=141661&start=2900#p4240671

and I'm glad to answer any questions you have (but I think a combination of what Emma and knock said should be the main factors: [east coast v. west coast] + money.)

Choosing a law school made easy: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153529

Also, I think that Chicago places just fine back on the west coast. I talked about this quite a bit at ASW with a bunch of different students and I am comfortable going to U of C when I am 99% sure I will want to come back to California to practice.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Knock, I didn't mean placement-wise. I meant where he/she wants to be for three years. (Which isn't what Emma was talking about, upon reading back. Oops!). If his/her family, SO, life, etc. are in California (or west coast in general) I think Stanford is pretty obvious. And the reverse holds true for me. I didn't apply to places like Berkeley or UCLA because I couldn't imagine being that far away from my family in TN. Placement-wise, either school will get you where you want to go just fine.

(and I say this within reason - obviously don't take USC over Chicago just to be in California for three years, I just meant more specifically looking at SLS v. Chicago.)
Last edited by Dany on Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Dany wrote:Knock, I didn't mean placement-wise. I meant where he/she wants to be for three years. (Which I think is different from what Emma meant upon reading back). If his/her family, SO, life, etc. are in California (or west coast in general) I think Stanford is pretty obvious. And the reverse holds true for me. I didn't apply to places like Berkeley or UCLA because I couldn't imagine being that far away from my family in TN. Placement-wise, either school will get you where you want to go just fine.

(and I say this within reason - obviously don't take USC over Chicago just to be in California for three years, I just meant more specifically looking at SLS v. Chicago.)

But...but... :cry:.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:05 pm

If I was lucky enough to receive an incredible offer in Cali, I'd move there in a heartbeat. I was talking about Galnnn's situation.
Last edited by Dany on Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Dany wrote:I was talking about Galnnn's situation.

Where did he go? I think someone scared him away :(.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Knock wrote:But...but... :cry:.

Aww <3 knock.

Also, you guys are not helping me out here. Galnnn, Chicago is a terrible school and you will hate it there.

Kidding aside, IMO Stanford = full ride or close at CCN from a strictly financial perspective. Obviously, your goals and school fit need to be considered as well.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:08 pm

He's probably still reading my Ode to Chicago because it's so long. :oops:

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Dany wrote:He's probably still reading my Ode to Chicago because it's so long. :oops:

If anything, it isn't long enough. Moar plz.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:13 pm

Muenchen wrote:
Dany wrote:He's probably still reading my Ode to Chicago because it's so long. :oops:

Don't encourage her. :P

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Muenchen wrote:

Ode Part II: In Which We Wait

A law school has stolen my heart,
Yet for five more months we'll be apart,
I'll count down the days
And wait with malaise
Can't wait for September to start!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”