Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
trudat15

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby trudat15 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Muenchen wrote:
eskimo wrote:
trudat15 wrote:Has anyone booked the Hilton at the UChi rate for ASW? Mind telling me what the rate is (their system is down at the moment, from what they tell me)?

Thanks

Also curious!

I have tried to book several times for a rate quote and get the same "Try these other area Hiltons cause we're a shitty website and your U Chicago code means you're a worthless 0L and we don't want you" message. :x

Apparently the entire hotel is sold out that weekend, for even non worthless 0Ls. Had they not been, the rate would have been pricey - $229/night with the discount.
Edit for wrong price
Last edited by trudat15 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:49 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
eskimo wrote:
trudat15 wrote:Has anyone booked the Hilton at the UChi rate for ASW? Mind telling me what the rate is (their system is down at the moment, from what they tell me)?

Thanks

Also curious!

I have tried to book several times for a rate quote and get the same "Try these other area Hiltons cause we're a shitty website and your U Chicago code means you're a worthless 0L and we don't want you" message. :x

Apparently the entire hotel is sold out that weekend, for even non worthless 0Ls. Had they not been, the rate would have been pricey - $229/night with the discount.

Thought the discount was 109$
Edit: At least that's what someone told from last year.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:01 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:Apparently the entire hotel is sold out that weekend, for even non worthless 0Ls. Had they not been, the rate would have been pricey - $229/night with the discount.

Oh really? Maybe the lady didnt understand me and just told me the normal rate.
In any case, it's sold out. Lame.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 pm

trudat15 wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:Apparently the entire hotel is sold out that weekend, for even non worthless 0Ls. Had they not been, the rate would have been pricey - $229/night with the discount.

I was checking other hotels, and there are some very nice and cheap hotels downtown.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Chat today at 2pm Central with Emily Tancer (3L) and Marisa Maleck (3L).

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:38 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:

I was checking other hotels, and there are some very nice and cheap hotels downtown.

Yeah, i saw a few on priceline (The Inn CHicago) that were cheap and had relatively good reviews on trip advisor.
Too bad the Hilton is sold out.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Did I miss why people aren't staying with a student host?

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:13 pm

arism87 wrote:Did I miss why people aren't staying with a student host?

I wanted to originally, but my SO is tagging along.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:14 pm

Awkward lodging is awkward.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:15 pm

Muenchen wrote:

Ahaha I live for awkward (and cheap) situations. It's a lot cheaper to buy a case of beer than it is to get a hotel room! lol

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:19 pm

arism87 wrote:
Muenchen wrote:

Ahaha I live for awkward (and cheap) situations. It's a lot cheaper to buy a case of beer than it is to get a hotel room! lol

hell yeah!!!! here's to making your first impression at your future law school a non-sober one!

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:21 pm

HowdyYall wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Muenchen wrote:

hell yeah!!!! here's to making your first impression at your future law school a non-sober one!

Exactly! Oooh but don't think it's not calculated. It's just to make everyone think I'm a moron, then BAM all of a sudden I'm at the top of the class and everyone wishes they'd studied harder...

ok not really, I <3 beer.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:21 pm

arism87 wrote:
Muenchen wrote:

Yeah, I mean I'm not a complete weirdo with no social skills and I also don't have money to burn, but living with older student(s), using a total stranger's shower, and feeling awkward about whether I should/can hang out with this person for eating, relaxing, going out, etc, combind with a limited amount of small talk topics in my repertoire, is kind of pushing it for me. But that's just personal preference.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Muenchen wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Muenchen wrote:

Yeah, I mean I'm not a complete weirdo with no social skills and I also don't have money to burn, but living with older student(s), using a total stranger's shower, and feeling awkward about whether I should/can hang out with this person for eating, relaxing, going out, etc, combind with a limited amount of small talk topics in my repertoire, is kind of pushing it for me. But that's just personal preference.

This is true. Hadn't contemplated the potential "so you're clearly not social and I want to be so.. leave the door unlocked for me?" conversation. Hmmmm.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:25 pm

arism87 wrote:
Muenchen wrote:

This is true. Hadn't contemplated the potential "so you're clearly not social and I want to be so.. leave the door unlocked for me?" conversation. Hmmmm.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I <3 beer as much as annnnyone. But if you just think about the kind of personalities that are willing to open their living space to assumingly younger people who are complete strangers....probably not the kind I will want to get a beer with.

ETA: At least for me as a guy, thinking about the kind of other guys. I can see it being different for females.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Muenchen wrote:Yeah, don't get me wrong, I <3 beer as much as annnnyone. But if you just think about the kind of personalities that are willing to open their living space to assumingly younger people who are complete strangers....probably not the kind I will want to get a beer with.

ETA: At least for me as a guy, thinking about the kind of other guys. I can see it being different for females.

haha yeah, my initial thought was "I would totally volunteer to host people!" And then I realized I'm in TFA and they've asked me to do it before and I said no.. lol

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Kili wrote:^ I can't wait to meet all of you in person. :)

I went with awkward lodging. I'm pretty extroverted and even if it means the conversation is like pulling teeth, at least I'll have made friends with a few upperclassmen which could be helpful.

Also, TLS meet-up at ASW anyone? Probably too soon to discuss it. :P

Yay, glad I'm not the only one! Hopefully we don't end up trading horror stories! :)

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:37 pm

arism87 wrote:
Kili wrote:^ I can't wait to meet all of you in person. :)

I went with awkward lodging. I'm pretty extroverted and even if it means the conversation is like pulling teeth, at least I'll have made friends with a few upperclassmen which could be helpful.

Also, TLS meet-up at ASW anyone? Probably too soon to discuss it. :P

Yay, glad I'm not the only one! Hopefully we don't end up trading horror stories! :)

Ha, I'm sure you will both be fine and love your hosts, I'm probably just being overly awrkwardness averse. :)

And I'm sure as hell not just going to wander back to my room when the events are done soooo....

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:57 am

Dear Class of 2014: You are missing the first time the law school has shut for a snow day in something like 30 years. Sooo excited.

I wouldn't hesitate to take people up on the student host thing. I'm pretty sure the people who decide they are willing to host will know what they are getting into and know what you are going through. It probably self-selects for people who are going to do their best to avoid the whole thing being awkward.

ASW is hectic so you won't have much time to hang out with your hosts anyway, and you definitely shouldn't feel bad about the "leave the door open" call if you wanted to go out late and they didn't. Seriously, you will probably just be coming home to crash out, then heading back to school for events during the day. I'm sure some of the hosts will be coming to the big party or offer to take you out drinking, but that might be all your really see of them.

I know there will be a lot of relatively normal people who had a good time at ASW last year and just want to return the favor. I'd be offering to host since I have a spare room but my SO works nights so I don't think it is going to pan out

I can't believe the Hilton is sold out, maybe they just haven't set up the law school rate yet so it is showing as no rooms available for that rate. Maybe someone should email admissions and ask about that?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:59 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:41 am

Emma. wrote:Dear Class of 2014: You are missing the first time the law school has shut for a snow day in something like 30 years. Sooo excited.

I wouldn't hesitate to take people up on the student host thing. I'm pretty sure the people who decide they are willing to host will know what they are getting into and know what you are going through. It probably self-selects for people who are going to do their best to avoid the whole thing being awkward.

ASW is hectic so you won't have much time to hang out with your hosts anyway, and you definitely shouldn't feel bad about the "leave the door open" call if you wanted to go out late and they didn't. Seriously, you will probably just be coming home to crash out, then heading back to school for events during the day. I'm sure some of the hosts will be coming to the big party or offer to take you out drinking, but that might be all your really see of them.

I know there will be a lot of relatively normal people who had a good time at ASW last year and just want to return the favor. I'd be offering to host since I have a spare room but my SO works nights so I don't think it is going to pan out

I can't believe the Hilton is sold out, maybe they just haven't set up the law school rate yet so it is showing as no rooms available for that rate. Maybe someone should email admissions and ask about that?

I called them about the normal rate (just to get any room, with no mention of UChi) and they told me theres no avail on those dates. Was a bit surprised.

Kili wrote:Didn't Sentry say there was a bball game that weekend? I suppose selling out shouldn't be a surprise.

Bulls-Celts regular season game. Dont see why that would affect hotels too much, though maybe celts fans are traveling well this year.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:47 am

trudat15 wrote:I called them about the normal rate (just to get any room, with no mention of UChi) and they told me theres no avail on those dates. Was a bit surprised.

Perhaps it's possible Chi reserved a block of rooms? I'd call again and mention ASW just in case.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:45 pm

So will I be the only eligible bachelor (or bachelorette) at UChi if I go next year? Yes, it's my turn to ask vein questions.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”