Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Dany wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:I'm having a real tough time choosing between UPenn and UChi. Anybody else facing a similar problem?

You could talk to Dulcatis, but it's not a tough decision for her (re: Penn). She's down to UVA v. Chi.

And if you need me to troll Chi to you I'm glad to do so! ;)



Thank you guys for the all the responses. The appeal of Penn, besides the costs, rests in the following:

1. Its placement in NYC (please discuss!)
2. University City vs. Hyde Park
3. The reputation of the student atmosphere there (really lax) vs. UChi (competitive, hyper-competitive?)

#1 and #3 are my largest concerns. I don't know if I want to make a career in Chicago or the Midwest.

The big draws to chicago for me right now are it's superior placement in academia and clerkships, the intellectual environment, and the reputation of the school.

Right now I am leaning to Penn because it seems to have more of what I want for the price, but I am also waiting back to hear from Ms. Vargas regarding scholarship.

It really is six of one vs half dozen of the other, so to speak....

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Sentry wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:I'm having a real tough time choosing between UPenn and UChi. Anybody else facing a similar problem?

Chicago vs. Philadelphia... your choice is clear.


I dont know, both cities as a whole have what I want -- nightlife, culture, outdoor recreational opportunities. Being from the a small city in the midwest, both are more than enough. Also, I actually preferred University City to Hyde Park.

anthromajor
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby anthromajor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm deciding between Penn and Chicago (and NYU) too! I was initially not even considering Penn but their admitted students weekend really convinced me. Hopefully Chicago's admitted students weekend is equally convincing! Anyone have any other ideas on how to make the decision?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:21 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
1. Its placement in NYC (please discuss!)


Um, pretty sure we crush it here. (See NLJ 250)

gbpackerbacker wrote:3. The reputation of the student atmosphere there (really lax) vs. UChi (competitive, hyper-competitive?)



No.

seriously!

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Sentry » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:22 pm

sarahlawg wrote:It made me feel better to learn that RB is 14. Born in 97? Shit, she didn't even get to enjoy the Backstreet Boys or Titanic.

Did anyone enjoy the backstreet boy?
except for backstreet's back...that song is the shit

bellamy
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby bellamy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:26 pm

CastleRock wrote:I really enjoyed my visit to Chicago. I have to say that if I were to decide right now based solely on where I liked the best I probably would be at Chicago.

Is it that you liked Chicago more than NYC or U of C more than CLS?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:28 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Dany wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:I'm having a real tough time choosing between UPenn and UChi. Anybody else facing a similar problem?

You could talk to Dulcatis, but it's not a tough decision for her (re: Penn). She's down to UVA v. Chi.

And if you need me to troll Chi to you I'm glad to do so! ;)



Thank you guys for the all the responses. The appeal of Penn, besides the costs, rests in the following:

1. Its placement in NYC (please discuss!)
2. University City vs. Hyde Park
3. The reputation of the student atmosphere there (really lax) vs. UChi (competitive, hyper-competitive?)

#1 and #3 are my largest concerns. I don't know if I want to make a career in Chicago or the Midwest.

The big draws to chicago for me right now are it's superior placement in academia and clerkships, the intellectual environment, and the reputation of the school.

Right now I am leaning to Penn because it seems to have more of what I want for the price, but I am also waiting back to hear from Ms. Vargas regarding scholarship.

It really is six of one vs half dozen of the other, so to speak....

1. This thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152440&start=50#p4260995 has a good discussion of what I see to be a major advantage of Chi -> NYC. PLEASE note that I'm obviously a 0L, and haven't researched it extensively, so even though I think those posters are probably right, my opinion doesn't mean too much. :D

3. Talk to current students for sure, but it really didn't seem hyper-competitive at ALL when I visited. People want to do well, but they didn't seem to be too competitive with each other or try and out-gun their classmates from what I saw.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 pm

had a wonderful phone conversation that may have just sealed the deal for me with Chicago. Really can't wait for tomorrow.

User avatar
alphamoose
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby alphamoose » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:23 pm

sarahlawg wrote:had a wonderful phone conversation that may have just sealed the deal for me with Chicago. Really can't wait for tomorrow.


YAY Sarahlawg!! :D

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby 4102011 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:16 pm

alphamoose wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:had a wonderful phone conversation that may have just sealed the deal for me with Chicago. Really can't wait for tomorrow.


YAY Sarahlawg!! :D


:) :) :)

User avatar
Saul Goodman
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Saul Goodman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 pm

sarahlawg wrote:had a wonderful phone conversation that may have just sealed the deal for me with Chicago. Really can't wait for tomorrow.


Tell us more!

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:24 pm

anthromajor wrote:I'm deciding between Penn and Chicago (and NYU) too! I was initially not even considering Penn but their admitted students weekend really convinced me. Hopefully Chicago's admitted students weekend is equally convincing! Anyone have any other ideas on how to make the decision?


yeah i'm having a hard time deciding between chicago and nyu...really hoping the decision will become easier after ASW and after hearing back from nyu's financial aid office. i don't think you can go terribly wrong with any of those options, though! :wink:

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:46 pm


User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Rand M. » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:52 pm

To chime in about competitiveness, I would say it's really not bad. People definitely are serious about learning, but people don't seem to be trying to outdo one another for the most part. Everyone just seems interested in getting as much from the experience as they can. The whole notion of ripping pages out of commonly used books and other uber-competitive behavior is a myth. It's just not like that. Most people are really chill, and those who aren't are few and very far between. I seriously cannot imagine this place being any different than any other top schools. You might want to look elsewhere for a deciding factor. There's not a whole lot of variation there. People are engaged, but definitely not cutthroat. Just my .02.

Can't wait to see new faces at ASW.

User avatar
funkyturds
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby funkyturds » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 am

definitely will be creepin on all you 0L's tomorrow/friday.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:06 am

Dany wrote:LOL


Haha, as a frequent lurker, I can say that this definitely one of the better threads on TLS.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:08 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Dany wrote:LOL


Haha, as a frequent lurker, I can say that this definitely one of the better threads on TLS.

<3

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:59 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Dany wrote:LOL


Haha, as a frequent lurker, I can say that this definitely one of the better threads on TLS.

Yeah, this is the only admitted thread I read, and it's not even a school I was admitted to.

Also, lol at the contrast between this and the Columbia threads.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby 4102011 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:30 am

Dany wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
Dany wrote:LOL


Haha, as a frequent lurker, I can say that this definitely one of the better threads on TLS.

<3


Awww <3

Today is the day guuuuys! Yay :)

User avatar
JFo
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby JFo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:39 am


User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Sentry » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:39 am

Change of plans for me I'll now be arriving at o'hare at 245 anybody else getting in around then?

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Muenchen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:43 am

Sentry wrote:Change of plans for me I'll now be arriving at o'hare at 245 anybody else getting in around then?


Not to out her, but I think dulc said she lands at 2:30....but maybe that was at Midway....you'd have to go back and check but that might be an opportunity for cab splitting/public transport adventure.

Edit: Leaving work at 11 to drive up to Chicago. Will hopefully be in around 4:30.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby 4102011 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:46 am

Muenchen wrote:
Sentry wrote:Change of plans for me I'll now be arriving at o'hare at 245 anybody else getting in around then?


Not to out her, but I think dulc said she lands at 2:30....but maybe that was at Midway....you'd have to go back and check but that might be an opportunity for cab splitting/public transport adventure.

Edit: Leaving work at 11 to drive up to Chicago. Will hopefully be in around 4:30.


QFcreepilyaccurate

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Muenchen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 am

dulcatis wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
Sentry wrote:Change of plans for me I'll now be arriving at o'hare at 245 anybody else getting in around then?


Not to out her, but I think dulc said she lands at 2:30....but maybe that was at Midway....you'd have to go back and check but that might be an opportunity for cab splitting/public transport adventure.

Edit: Leaving work at 11 to drive up to Chicago. Will hopefully be in around 4:30.


QFcreepilyaccurate


Mah super memory is ready for the rigor.

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Muenchen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:51 am

dulcatis wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
Sentry wrote:Change of plans for me I'll now be arriving at o'hare at 245 anybody else getting in around then?


Not to out her, but I think dulc said she lands at 2:30....but maybe that was at Midway....you'd have to go back and check but that might be an opportunity for cab splitting/public transport adventure.

Edit: Leaving work at 11 to drive up to Chicago. Will hopefully be in around 4:30.


QFcreepilyaccurate


Also, this.

Image




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest