Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Knock

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Verisimi wrote:
Knock wrote:
Calla Lily wrote:I share the sentiment about wanting the ability to just walk to class, but I guess I will see what it all is like at ASW. I am still not set on UChi, but if I do go, if there is some other person out there (female) looking to do a 2-bedroom in Regents or some other apt building (possibly with a washer/dryer in unit!) that we could find, I would be down! I want to bring a car potentially, but couldn't afford to do so in a 1-bedroom apt.

Yeah, I definitely agree with everyone. I guess we'll see just how far away Regents is at ASW.

To clarify what I meant, Regents isn't that far away at all. I wasn't talking about for the 1L year, I was referring to my 1L friend there telling me that most people move downtown or to the north side (or at least away from Hyde Park) in 2L and 3L years.

Well i'm not too worried about 2L and 3L years. I figure after a year of attending, i'll know where I want to live and whether the commute would be worth it. 1L year though, when i'm not familiar with anything i'm more worried about.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:06 pm

Eh, again, the 3L I talked to lived within a 3 minute walk to the law school. After traipsing around Hyde Park all day, it seems like there's housing pretty much everywhere, so I can't imagine it'd be too hard to find something close if that's what you're looking for. I obviously don't know where that'd be, but I plan on going back for a few days this summer to look around at more places for sure.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Dany wrote:Eh, again, the 3L I talked to lived within a 3 minute walk to the law school. After traipsing around Hyde Park all day, it seems like there's housing pretty much everywhere, so I can't imagine it'd be too hard to find something close if that's what you're looking for. I obviously don't know where that'd be, but I plan on going back for a few days this summer to look around at more places for sure.

Do you remember where s/he lived?
My SO thinks it will be very important for me to live in regents "with everyone else"... if I end up at UChi I just can't decide if that's true. How disadvantaged I'd be not living there. The prospect of no in-unit w/d is pretty much a deal breaker for me =/

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:17 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Dany wrote:Eh, again, the 3L I talked to lived within a 3 minute walk to the law school. After traipsing around Hyde Park all day, it seems like there's housing pretty much everywhere, so I can't imagine it'd be too hard to find something close if that's what you're looking for. I obviously don't know where that'd be, but I plan on going back for a few days this summer to look around at more places for sure.

My SO thinks it will be very important for me to live in regents "with everyone else"... if I end up at UChi I just can't decide if that's true. How disadvantaged I'd be not living there. The prospect of no in-unit w/d is pretty much a deal breaker for me =/

No, I didn't ask. Sorry! I think there's definitely a big community in Regents but I'm still not sure if that's a positive or a negative for me yet. Probably outing myself as sketchy, but I kind of like for people to be able to see me on my schedule (as opposed to just having me around whenever), but that's because I get stressed out if I'm around people all the time. So kind of leaning towards not-Regents, although I really did like it when I visited. I'd say you should try and maybe PM the people from the questions thread who said they don't live in Regents to see if they felt like it was a disadvantage wrt meeting classmates and such.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Was just reading another thread and saw: "You guys have any idea what an 1200 a month apartment in NYC looks like?" which made me sooooooo happy about HP rent. :D

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:49 pm

sarahlawg wrote:

This isn't even a little bit true, so don't worry about needing to live in Regents. :D Plenty of people don't and it doesn't matter because you spend most of your day at school. A lot of students don't even live in Hyde Park.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Anybody else taking the train to Chicago?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Sentry wrote:Anybody else taking the train to Chicago?

I probably am. I'll ask my student host what the best way to get to his/her residence is.

ETA: Actually, I totally misinterpreted your post. I'm taking the L (El?) to where i'm staying, probably. Unless it's too sketchy in which case i'll take a cab.

ETA2: If anyone else's flight gets in on Thursday night in O'Hare and want to share a cab to the school, I might be down, shoot me a pm.

Postby 4102011 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm trying to avoid thinking about housing and stuff until after I decide (next week!!), but if I go to Chicago then I'll definitely need to read back through all of this :)

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:38 pm

dulcatis wrote:I'm trying to avoid thinking about housing and stuff until after I decide (next week!!), but if I go to Chicago then I'll definitely need to read back through all of this :)

Wow, I can't believe we will know where we are going that soon!

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Well if it makes everyone feel better about housing, every place I've talked to so far doesn't rent more than 2 months in advance, so I don't plan on getting a place until July. We've got time!

(Except if you want to live in Regents and pick a specific floor plan you might want to go ahead and apply now to get in line.)

Postby 4102011 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Knock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I'm trying to avoid thinking about housing and stuff until after I decide (next week!!), but if I go to Chicago then I'll definitely need to read back through all of this :)

Thank effing god. I am so ready to know already. And my flight is in a week and an hour, so that's when I can begin deciding...

& yaay dany! That's awesome. I felt SO BEHIND at UVA where everyone pretty much has housing already. Gah!

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:40 pm

dulcatis wrote:
Knock wrote:

Thank effing god. I am so ready to know already. And my flight is in a week and an hour, so that's when I can begin deciding...

& yaay dany! That's awesome. I felt SO BEHIND at UVA where everyone pretty much has housing already. Gah!

Guess you have to go to Chicago then.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Knock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Thank effing god. I am so ready to know already. And my flight is in a week and an hour, so that's when I can begin deciding...

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Knock wrote:

I know! I hope Chi decides to give me more $$ by then.

dulcatis wrote:

echoing this X100000. The UVA thread kind of freaked me out. I started following it back when I got in in Dec, but the sheer number who already knew they were going there and were looking for housing just made me feel like I was going to be screwed waiting for other schools' decisions.

Postby 4102011 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:51 pm

Yeah I wonder when the negotiation stuff will start up.

Also, they said we'd hear from our hosts Monday or Tuesday!! SO excited.

& <333 knock & dany XD

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Dany wrote:
Knock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Thank effing god. I am so ready to know already. And my flight is in a week and an hour, so that's when I can begin deciding...

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Ghost wrote:So excited for Thursday!!! :o

Me too. I really hope I like Chi.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Knock wrote:
Ghost wrote:So excited for Thursday!!! :o

Me too. I really hope I like Chi.

I hope I love it or hate it. Ahhhh! Only four more days :)

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:31 pm

I especially can't wait for a nice short week at work! yay Chicago!

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:32 pm

sarahlawg wrote:I especially can't wait for a nice short week at work! yay Chicago!

TITCR. Though I just missed a week of work for vacation, so I'm going to work a few 11 hour days I'm sure and then leave for Chicago from work. Pretty sure when I open my email, my monitor will asplode!

Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Does anyone know if there is anything happening on Thursday other than the diversity reception? I'll probably get it to O'Hare early afternoon and have zero clue how to fill my day.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:36 pm

I think that's all that's going on right now. I assume people at the reception'll get together and grab dinner and hang out afterwards, hopefully?

But if anyone gets in around 2:30ish and wants to have an epic public transportation adventure to The Law School, that'd be super fun, yeahhhh?

...should we start an ASW thread or just keep all the awesomeness in this thread?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:42 pm

dulcatis wrote:...should we start an ASW thread or just keep all the awesomeness in this thread?

Even though it makes me sad to read it, I'd just keep it here.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”