Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Muenchen

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Muenchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:35 pm

alphamoose wrote:I'm finally back to my laptop so here is my dog that I'm thinking about bringing if I come when I come to Chicago! (I swear I'm not spamming this thread, pictures were requested a few pages back :oops: ) He's gotten very shaggy lately :D Doggy therapy for all!

FTFY

JFo

Postby JFo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:38 pm

LOOK AT HIS WIDDLE EARS!!!!!!!!!

...ahem. He's very cute.

ETA: There is no "thinking about bringing," re: that dog. He comes to Chicago. He can wear a little sweater in the winter.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFo

Postby JFo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Ghost wrote:Do Northerners wear onesies around the house? I would really like an excuse to buy me one of these:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KkrrPMEnOIs/T ... gjohns.jpg

Where can you buy these?

Just putting it out there, but I sew, and could probably make these for $30 plus cost of materials. I once made a possum costume, and these don't look much different.

ETA: Per my Google-fu, they originally sold for $610.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:23 pm

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFo

Postby JFo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:29 pm

Ghost wrote:
JFo wrote:
I once made a possum costume

Pics or it didn't happen.

Also why?

Alas, I have no pictures. It was a commission for a student theater production (that should tell you a lot right away...). All I know is that it was VERY important that the possum tail be completely prehensile. It was a little suit like the one pictured above, with possum ears, bald tail, and a little creepy nose. Given that previous productions for these people had involved rats eating someone's arm off on stage, I didn't ask too many questions.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:40 pm

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Ghost wrote:
JFo wrote:Given that previous productions for these people had involved rats eating someone's arm off on stage, I didn't ask too many questions.

Ahahaha, this thread just keeps getting better and better! :lol:

*checks NYU deposit deadline*

JFo

Postby JFo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:01 am

Ghost wrote:
JFo wrote:Given that previous productions for these people had involved rats eating someone's arm off on stage, I didn't ask too many questions.

Ahahaha, this thread just keeps getting better and better! :lol:

Ahahaha, this thread just keeps getting better and better! :lol:[/quote]

That wasn't even the worst of it. You. Really. Don't. Want. To. Know.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:04 am

Postby 4102011 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:35 am

Five days until ASW!! :)

Also if anyone else is getting into o'hare at 2:30ish and wants to split a cab, let me know! :)

texaskk

Postby texaskk » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:40 am

Hi everyone! So I just worked out finances/schedule to be able to visit UChi (for the Day in the Life Program on April 18th), and thus I can now seriously consider it as an option! (I wasn't comfortable enrolling at a law school that I wasn't able to visit) Yay Chicago!

Verisimi

Postby Verisimi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:33 am

I know that most people haven't gone to the ASW yet, but with deadlines looming I want to see what some others think. My biggest knock on Chicago right now is that housing, even 1L year when most people live at Regents, is a bus ride away. During 2L and 3L years, most people move further and further away to live downtown or the north side, which is a good deal longer bus ride away. I know that most of the good parts of the city are in those areas, but I enjoyed walking to class as an undergrad, and I fear that the more difficult it is to get to class the less enthusiasm I will have about going to class, especially if that process occurs during a blizzard or other ungodly Chicago weather.

marburger06

Postby marburger06 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:38 am

dulcatis wrote:Five days until ASW!! :)

Also if anyone else is getting into o'hare at 2:30ish and wants to split a cab, let me know! :)

Eeeep. Cab from O'Hare -> Hyde Park will run you at least $60. Not wanting to navigate the bus system before ASW is understandable, but you should at least take the blue line downtown and then catch a cab from there to save some $ (will cost you $20 max).

Verisimi

Postby Verisimi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 am

marburger06 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Five days until ASW!! :)

Eeeep. Cab from O'Hare -> Hyde Park will run you at least $60. Not wanting to navigate the bus system before ASW is understandable, but you should at least take the blue line downtown and then catch a cab from there to save some $ (will cost you $20 max).

Blue line to the number 6 (Jackson Express south) bus takes you directly to Regents, and the 172 from that bus stop takes you directly to campus. All in all that trip takes a good while yes, but it also only costs you $5 max depending on how they calculate transfers, possibly only $2.75.

Postby 4102011 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:45 am

Awesome, thanks guys! So it's pretty easy to figure out the transportation? About how long would all of this take (thinking for the way back)?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:46 am

Verisimi wrote:I know that most people haven't gone to the ASW yet, but with deadlines looming I want to see what some others think. My biggest knock on Chicago right now is that housing, even 1L year when most people live at Regents, is a bus ride away. During 2L and 3L years, most people move further and further away to live downtown or the north side, which is a good deal longer bus ride away. I know that most of the good parts of the city are in those areas, but I enjoyed walking to class as an undergrad, and I fear that the more difficult it is to get to class the less enthusiasm I will have about going to class, especially if that process occurs during a blizzard or other ungodly Chicago weather.

I agree with this reservation

marburger06 wrote:

do you know what the best/cheapest way is to get to u of c from midway?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:56 am

I know people who walk to class because they live nearby (like New Grad). The places aren't nearly as nice as Regents, but it's up on your priorities. A 15-minute bus ride isn't the end of the world.

Verisimi

Postby Verisimi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:00 pm

dulcatis wrote:Awesome, thanks guys! So it's pretty easy to figure out the transportation? About how long would all of this take (thinking for the way back)?

I got off at the first stop on the loop, walked a block to state, and was able to catch the bus from there. The stop at regents is something like E. Hyde Park Blvd. and Cornell. I didn't really have any problems finding my way. HOWEVER, speaking of time, I did manage to get lost on the way back to the airport and almost missed my flight (completely my fault). I also didn't factor in waiting 20 minutes for the 6 at Regents. You need to assume at least an hour and a half and probably longer. Despite getting there a few minutes before my flight started boarding and getting detained by the TSA to recheck my bag, I still got on the plane.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:08 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Verisimi wrote:I know that most people haven't gone to the ASW yet, but with deadlines looming I want to see what some others think. My biggest knock on Chicago right now is that housing, even 1L year when most people live at Regents, is a bus ride away. During 2L and 3L years, most people move further and further away to live downtown or the north side, which is a good deal longer bus ride away. I know that most of the good parts of the city are in those areas, but I enjoyed walking to class as an undergrad, and I fear that the more difficult it is to get to class the less enthusiasm I will have about going to class, especially if that process occurs during a blizzard or other ungodly Chicago weather.

I agree with this reservation

I wouldn't worry about your enthusiasm about getting to class. You *will* be going to class, whether or not you are enthusiastic about it. :wink:

Seriously though, the bus really isn't an issue. It is really quick and convenient. You also can walk, I do every once in a while, including in the snow. It takes around 25 minutes from Regents but it is a good way to clear your head after a long day. Plenty of people also ride bikes to school every day, even in the winter.

sarahlawg wrote:
do you know what the best/cheapest way is to get to u of c from midway?

The bus is the cheapest way, you can ride the 55 or 59. http://goo.gl/maps/a2H3

If you are coming in when traffic won't be too bad then a cab is also a good option.

This shuttle service serves the South Side, and can get you to/from Midway or O'Hare: http://www.airportexpress.com/south_side_service

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:48 pm

Emma. wrote:

I wouldn't worry about your enthusiasm about getting to class. You *will* be going to class, whether or not you are enthusiastic about it. :wink:

Seriously though, the bus really isn't an issue. It is really quick and convenient. You also can walk, I do every once in a while, including in the snow. It takes around 25 minutes from Regents but it is a good way to clear your head after a long day. Plenty of people also ride bikes to school every day, even in the winter.

I guess actually for me it's not so much enthusiasm as much as I just wish I had a 5-10min walk to campus. Maybe I will be glad not to in the end though.

Emma. wrote:
The bus is the cheapest way, you can ride the 55 or 59. http://goo.gl/maps/a2H3

If you are coming in when traffic won't be too bad then a cab is also a good option.

This shuttle service serves the South Side, and can get you to/from Midway or O'Hare: http://www.airportexpress.com/south_side_service

thanks for the info!

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:12 pm

I share the sentiment about wanting the ability to just walk to class, but I guess I will see what it all is like at ASW. I am still not set on UChi, but if I do go, if there is some other person out there (female) looking to do a 2-bedroom in Regents or some other apt building (possibly with a washer/dryer in unit!) that we could find, I would be down! I want to bring a car potentially, but couldn't afford to do so in a 1-bedroom apt.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Calla Lily wrote:I share the sentiment about wanting the ability to just walk to class, but I guess I will see what it all is like at ASW. I am still not set on UChi, but if I do go, if there is some other person out there (female) looking to do a 2-bedroom in Regents or some other apt building (possibly with a washer/dryer in unit!) that we could find, I would be down! I want to bring a car potentially, but couldn't afford to do so in a 1-bedroom apt.

Yeah, I definitely agree with everyone. I guess we'll see just how far away Regents is at ASW.

Verisimi

Postby Verisimi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Knock wrote:
Calla Lily wrote:I share the sentiment about wanting the ability to just walk to class, but I guess I will see what it all is like at ASW. I am still not set on UChi, but if I do go, if there is some other person out there (female) looking to do a 2-bedroom in Regents or some other apt building (possibly with a washer/dryer in unit!) that we could find, I would be down! I want to bring a car potentially, but couldn't afford to do so in a 1-bedroom apt.

Yeah, I definitely agree with everyone. I guess we'll see just how far away Regents is at ASW.

To clarify what I meant, Regents isn't that far away at all. I wasn't talking about for the 1L year, I was referring to my 1L friend there telling me that most people move downtown or to the north side (or at least away from Hyde Park) in 2L and 3L years.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”