Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

User avatar
JFo
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby JFo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:08 pm

I'm going to live "alone," though alone means either alone or with my current SO (not sure if he wants to move), so no roommates for me. I'm pretty good at living frugally, and having my own place to come home to is worth it to me. Plus, I don't want anyone to have to deal with my pets.

I'm probably not going to bring my car. I didn't have one for most of undergrad, and I survived. Public transportation is very colorful.

Also:

--ImageRemoved--

...until ASW!!!

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:11 pm

Dany wrote:FYI with everything included, for a Regents 1BR at the law school rate it will be about $1225/month. I tallied it up with the guy while I was there.


what does "everything included" mean?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:16 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Dany wrote:FYI with everything included, for a Regents 1BR at the law school rate it will be about $1225/month. I tallied it up with the guy while I was there.


what does "everything included" mean?

Rent, heat, cable, internet, electricity

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:17 pm

Are they furnished?

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:23 pm

Dany wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
Dany wrote:FYI with everything included, for a Regents 1BR at the law school rate it will be about $1225/month. I tallied it up with the guy while I was there.


what does "everything included" mean?

Rent, heat, cable, internet, electricity


did they say how much parking was? is it $150 as cited earlier?
I feel like I wouldn't mind a 2br with roomie, but I'm not just me - I have a hubby and a kitty. Who wants the whole package?

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby trudat15 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:34 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Dany wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
Dany wrote:FYI with everything included, for a Regents 1BR at the law school rate it will be about $1225/month. I tallied it up with the guy while I was there.


what does "everything included" mean?

Rent, heat, cable, internet, electricity


did they say how much parking was? is it $150 as cited earlier?
I feel like I wouldn't mind a 2br with roomie, but I'm not just me - I have a hubby and a kitty. Who wants the whole package?


Munich did some research earlier and I think it was $155/regents, $135/Algonquin, $150/windermere.

User avatar
coolgreen42
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby coolgreen42 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm pretty positive that I want to be in a 2 Bedroom in Regents, but the idea of not knowing when/how I will find a roommate is making me anxious.

Where are you, roommate of my dreams???
Last edited by coolgreen42 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:59 pm

trudat15 wrote:Munich did some research earlier and I think it was $155/regents, $135/Algonquin, $150/windermere.


thanks. why-oh-why did I just buy/pay off a car?

User avatar
ellewoods110
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby ellewoods110 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:12 pm

Dany wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
Dany wrote:FYI with everything included, for a Regents 1BR at the law school rate it will be about $1225/month. I tallied it up with the guy while I was there.


what does "everything included" mean?

Rent, heat, cable, internet, electricity


I live alone, and this is my breakdown:

$1095 rent
$40 electricity
$70 heat
$60 cable

Then I budget about $300 for groceries, and $200 for entertainment (bar money, cabs, movie tickets etc.)
I try to have another $150 or so for random expenses, like hair cuts and presents.

So that's total $1915, which combined with buying books is totally doable on their budget. I don't include transportation home for breaks though, so I incorporate that money into my monthly budget.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby glitched » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:33 pm

Got an email from a Chicago law professor through a reach-out program, and he started by congratulating me to the class of 2013. C&P fail.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:43 pm

glitched wrote:Got an email from a Chicago law professor through a reach-out program, and he started by congratulating me to the class of 2013. C&P fail.

lol, may I ask which one? (PM me if you'd rather not disclose here)

Parking at Regents is $160. They upped it $5. I have a roommate and I probably pay around $850-$900 after parking costs at Regents.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Are they furnished?

No; none of the apartments I saw were furnished.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:28 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote: I probably pay around $850-$900 after parking costs at Regents.

Is this including everything? Or just rent?

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:52 pm

Dany wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote: I probably pay around $850-$900 after parking costs at Regents.

Is this including everything? Or just rent?

Everything. And we have cable TV, too.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:57 pm

Oooh that makes me tempted to bring my car!

Also I wish USNews buying TLS wasn't a joke because let's get real, next year it'd be C>YHS>CN due to the awesomeness of this thread.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:33 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Dany wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote: I probably pay around $850-$900 after parking costs at Regents.

Is this including everything? Or just rent?

Everything. And we have cable TV, too.



dude that's great. Do you live with a random or did you guys meet before 1L?
Are there many houses you could rent in Hyde Park? Or non-high rise apartments? I feel like they would be cheaper/roomier...

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Emma. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Dany wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote: I probably pay around $850-$900 after parking costs at Regents.

Is this including everything? Or just rent?

Everything. And we have cable TV, too.



dude that's great. Do you live with a random or did you guys meet before 1L?
Are there many houses you could rent in Hyde Park? Or non-high rise apartments? I feel like they would be cheaper/roomier...


There are definitely smaller blocks of apartments around, a few that seemed pretty nice when I was looking. We ended up in a mid-rise building a few blocks south of Regents. It is more expensive ($1600 including parking) but we have a pretty sweet 2brm 2 bath that is pretty much brand new, nice appliances & kitchen, our own washing machine, wood floors etc.

Regents is pretty sweet and I think most of the people living there are happy with it, it just wasn't for me. I really like living in a smaller building (and that when I'm home I feel like I'm far away from all things law school). Despite what le_teon said about the crows and stuff, I think Algonquin is a great option if you just aren't feeling Regents. Much smaller buildings, pretty nice interiors, same location. The people I know who live there like it a lot.

Padmapper was a great resource when we were looking. If you haven't seen it, it is well worth checking out.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:01 pm

Yeah I was kind of set on regents but then I got back to my nice kitchen and parking spot at home and am tempted to keep looking. Decisions, decisions!

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Emma. wrote:
Padmapper was a great resource when we were looking. If you haven't seen it, it is well worth checking out.


thanks for this! it just made me drool over this: http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?type= ... 2&src=main ...seems like a great deal!

User avatar
alphamoose
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:10 pm

.
Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Emma. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:30 pm

alphamoose wrote:
Emma. wrote:There are definitely smaller blocks of apartments around, a few that seemed pretty nice when I was looking. We ended up in a mid-rise building a few blocks south of Regents. It is more expensive ($1600 including parking) but we have a pretty sweet 2brm 2 bath that is pretty much brand new, nice appliances & kitchen, our own washing machine, wood floors etc.

Regents is pretty sweet and I think most of the people living there are happy with it, it just wasn't for me. I really like living in a smaller building (and that when I'm home I feel like I'm far away from all things law school). Despite what le_teon said about the crows and stuff, I think Algonquin is a great option if you just aren't feeling Regents. Much smaller buildings, pretty nice interiors, same location. The people I know who live there like it a lot.

Padmapper was a great resource when we were looking. If you haven't seen it, it is well worth checking out.


Emma, did you use padmapper and then just visit places? Your apartment sounds great and I would like to look at some places that aren't regents or aloquin but I'm the area.


Yeah, we used every internet resource we could find to make a list of places, then came out for a long weekend in June to scope them all out. Our place is in this building: http://www.chicagoapt.com/index.php?opt ... ealty=user

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:37 pm

:shock: that's gorgeous!

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Emma. wrote:
Yeah, we used every internet resource we could find to make a list of places, then came out for a long weekend in June to scope them all out. Our place is in this building: http://www.chicagoapt.com/index.php?opt ... ealty=user


I see it only includes water. What does heat run you? Beautiful place!

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Emma. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:40 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Padmapper was a great resource when we were looking. If you haven't seen it, it is well worth checking out.


thanks for this! it just made me drool over this: http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?type= ... 2&src=main ...seems like a great deal!


This is so cheap because it is a slightly dodgy location (turn on the crime overlay!) but it is also really close to school and has garage parking, so maybe the location wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't look any further south than 62nd, though.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest