Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Dany

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:00 am

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

^Lounge

--ImageRemoved--

^Main hallway where the larger classrooms are

--ImageRemoved--

^Classroom!

--ImageRemoved--

^From the main hallway you go down these stairs to get to the lockers and smaller seminar classrooms

--ImageRemoved--

^Said lockers

--ImageRemoved--

^Small classroom

--ImageRemoved--

^What is the law?

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

^Library

--ImageRemoved--

^Comfy sleepy chairs

--ImageRemoved--

^Magazine room

--ImageRemoved--

^View from the front of the law school

--ImageRemoved--

^Ice skating rink! :D (you can also see the law school in that one)

Main campus pics:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JFo I'll do Chi/shiny bean ones later. Are there any others from FB you think I should post? I tried not to do too many. :mrgreen:

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:09 am

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFo

Postby JFo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 am

Dany wrote:
JFo I'll do Chi/shiny bean ones later. Are there any others from FB you think I should post? I tried not to do too many. :mrgreen:

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

Also, I love the pictures of the gothic looking building, the inside of the domed one, and your shopping haul. It appears we have similar taste. This is excellent.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:24 am

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:31 pm

Feels so good!

More pictures in a little bit! :D

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:32 pm

soupisgood wrote:Thanks for the write-up! (Though out of curiosity... what exactly is "the fridge"?)

Anyone who's in Seoul/Korea this week (long shot, but just in case)... sojuteacher and I are having our own little ASW on Saturday. Much of our time will be spent drinking coffee and (possibly) stewing in our paranoia regarding UChi rigor. PM either of us if in the area :)

This is not acceptable for two ppl in Korea, especially when one is named Sojuteacher.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:02 pm

Well since you guys keep asking... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chicago:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Hyde Park:

--ImageRemoved--

Icicles :shock:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

^Regents
Last edited by Dany on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:17 pm

jpk5372 wrote:Anyone going to the DC wine mess tomorrow?

aww seriously, nobody? Anyone been to the other wine messes in NYC or bay area wanna let me know how it was/what to expect?

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:58 pm

Dany - do you have any other pictures of the apts you visited? Would love to see those if you do.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:53 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry I havent really been following this thread. UChi is one of my final choices, and I just had a question or two.

First, do most 1Ls live alone or with roommates? What do you all plan on doing in respect to that?

Also, do any of you guys and girls plan on bringing your cars?

Finally, I keep seeing stuff here and there about Regents, is this where most (or many) 1Ls live?

I know you all are just prospective students, I just want to know what you know.

Thanks for your help!

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:04 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Hi guys,

Sorry I havent really been following this thread. UChi is one of my final choices, and I just had a question or two.

First, do most 1Ls live alone or with roommates? What do you all plan on doing in respect to that?

Finally, I keep seeing stuff here and there about Regents, is this where most (or many) 1Ls live?

I know you all are just prospective students, I just want to know what you know.

Thanks for your help!

I think it's mixed on living alone or sharing with a roommate. The advantages of sharing is lower rent, possibly having someone to help you or work with (maybe? not sure about honor code rules here.). Disadvantages are just having to get along with a roommate. Advantage of a single are not having a roommate, but disadvantage is higher rent.

I'm not planning on bringing a car, at least 1L year, at the moment. Although I think it would be useful, and I would if I didn't have to drive it halfway across the country in order to have it.

I think Regents is where a lot of 1Ls live, not sure if it's a majority, but it's the building with the highest concentration of law students. I'm leaning towards living there, still need to visit though of course.

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:05 pm

lol why did you take and upload pictures of borders and starbucks? isn't chicago supposed to be really scenic?

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:05 pm

glitched wrote:lol why did you take and upload pictures of borders and starbucks? isn't chicago supposed to be really scenic?

I think to show the Hyde Park area. I appreciate the pics, which have definitely changed my mental image of Hyde Park.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:10 pm

glitched wrote:lol why did you take and upload pictures of borders and starbucks? isn't chicago supposed to be really scenic?

Because Hyde Park isn't "scenic."

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Most of Hyde Park that I saw was just taken up by campus, residential streets, and then maybe 2-3 streets that look like the ones above with small shops/stores. No extensive shopping/restaurants like downtown has, but definitely stores for the things you'd need in a pinch.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't want to break your heart, but the Border's just closed, so now its just a nice-looking-empty building.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:19 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:I don't want to break your heart, but the Border's just closed, so now its just a nice-looking-empty building.

Damn. Post edited. :wink:

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:21 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:23 pm

There is a really cool used bookstore that I went to. But I didn't take a picture.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Dany wrote:
ellewoods110 wrote:I don't want to break your heart, but the Border's just closed, so now its just a nice-looking-empty building.

Damn. Post edited. :wink:

Haha I like your edit. And Ghost, I went to the Borders once, and it was when they were doing a big clearance sale. But apparently Hyde Park has the highest number of bookstores per capita, so if you do really like bookstores, there are more, they just aren't Borders.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:01 pm

Knock wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for your help!

I think it's mixed on living alone or sharing with a roommate. The advantages of sharing is lower rent, possibly having someone to help you or work with (maybe? not sure about honor code rules here.). Disadvantages are just having to get along with a roommate. Advantage of a single are not having a roommate, but disadvantage is higher rent.

I'm not planning on bringing a car, at least 1L year, at the moment. Although I think it would be useful, and I would if I didn't have to drive it halfway across the country in order to have it.

I think Regents is where a lot of 1Ls live, not sure if it's a majority, but it's the building with the highest concentration of law students. I'm leaning towards living there, still need to visit though of course.

I think it depends on how comfortable you are living with a stranger (unless you know someone going to Uchi as well). I'm sure you can get by on the student budget if you lived alone, but it would be much cheaper to have a roommate (sharing utilities and bills and the 2 bedrooms seem to be around 1400 or so, whereas a studio or 1 br seem to be 1000). I've heard that a lot of ppl found their roommates through the facebook group in years past. There's not much movement in the 2014 group, though it's still early and not everyone knows where they are going yet.

I am back and forth on having a car. Parking at the apartments are like $150/month, but I really dont want to do the street parking fighting for a spot thing every day. I'll probably leave it at home for the first quarter, then decide if I really need it for the rest of 1L year during winter break. Might bring it with me 2L and 3L, esp if I am going to live downtown.

As Knock said, Regents is a popular spot for 1Ls, from what I can gather. Seems to be the go to meeting spot for all sorts of activities and the social hub of 1L year. They have a law school discount as well.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

FYI with everything included, for a Regents 1BR at the law school rate it will be about $1225/month. I tallied it up with the guy while I was there.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:13 pm

Dany wrote:FYI with everything included, for a Regents 1BR at the law school rate it will be about $1225/month. I tallied it up with the guy while I was there.

Wow thats pretty pricey. Much more than I expected for Chicago, but I guess you're also paying for all the amenities.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:20 pm

jbs017 wrote:I second almost all of what tgir said: about the classes, students, Hyde Park, etc.

This could be rationalization or selective perception, but I'm less concerned about Chicago's extracurricular offerings than tgir is. It seems to me that, for a school Chicago's size, it has a good number of clinics and very interesting ones. It doesn't have many journals, it's true, but again, it's a really small school. I wonder how many people have actually been unable to join a journal if they wanted. Also, we could start one! (Someone had to start all those journals at Harvard.)

I agree that it's clear even from their own statements that Chicago is late to PI and is scrambling to catch up. On the other hand, they're trying really hard now, so I imagine that if you're interested in PI, you'll get all the support you need. And I think the student culture will start to shift, too, because of the much-improved LRAP and the Rubenstein.

I also found the "rigor mantra" a bit tiresome, but I understand that it's one of the main cards Chicago has to play. They know people are going to worry about Chicago being the place where fun goes to die, so they try to turn that perception to their advantage. It's like how Harvard turns around questions about its size by pointing to its great alumni network. It's all marketing. It all probably starts from a grain of truth and then gets built into a sandcastle.

As I thought.... :( What to do. What to do.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”