Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
TaipeiMort

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:44 am

Knock wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:To respond to some of the banter about Regents and the Algonquin-- they are both good places to live.

Regents apartments are roomier and the managing group has a very tight relationship with the law school. Some amenities are pretty cool, but overpriced such as their market, dry cleaner, and gym (where Obama has always worked out for the last 15 years-- the 3Ls when I was entering said that they would work out with him during the campaign whenever he was in town). The laundry room is below-market cost, the conceirge is very professional and super focused at keeping legit Southsiders out of the building-- it is the safest place ot live in Hyde Park. I also like the law school community feeling there (a lot of exam study sessions occur in the building) and the free printing/internet found in most parts of the building. You will also see some of your professors in the building from time to time.

A downside to Regents is probably that some apartments have older appliances and carpets, some don't. Also, if you jack up stuff, they will likely skin you for $$$.

The Algonquin is cool because it has slightly newer apartments with new kitchens, carpets, and good interior decorating, giving them an altogether nicer feel.

The downsides are that they dont have central air conditioning or heating, they are a bit smaller, less security, fewer amenities, and the two biggest downsides are:

1) They are owned (not managed) by MAC property management, who are the devils/ slum lord wannabees of Hyde Park. If they exert further control over the property, life will be crappier for you.
2) Birds crap EVERYWHERE at the Algonquin. It is disgusting. If you park outside for one day, your car is covered with bird crap. While walking outside of the building, I never look up or open my mouth because there are hundreds of crows year-round that cover everything outside of the builfing in bird crap. It is especially gross during the deepest winter when the birds become diseased and start crapping blood/orange stuff/die in front of the buildings

Thanks for the post. Any idea how much $ the gym is at Regents?

I think its something like $700 yr. Also, I think they give you 3 months free for signing a yr lease, or a year free if you sign a 21 month lease instead of a 12 month lease.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:45 am

TaipeiMort wrote:The Algonquin ... they dont have central air conditioning or heating

:(

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:58 am

TaipeiMort wrote:To respond to some of the banter about Regents and the Algonquin-- they are both good places to live.

Regents apartments are roomier and the managing group has a very tight relationship with the law school. Some amenities are pretty cool, but overpriced such as their market, dry cleaner, and gym (where Obama has always worked out for the last 15 years-- the 3Ls when I was entering said that they would work out with him during the campaign whenever he was in town). The laundry room is below-market cost, the conceirge is very professional and super focused at keeping legit Southsiders out of the building-- it is the safest place ot live in Hyde Park. I also like the law school community feeling there (a lot of exam study sessions occur in the building) and the free printing/internet found in most parts of the building. You will also see some of your professors in the building from time to time.

A downside to Regents is probably that some apartments have older appliances and carpets, some don't. Also, if you jack up stuff, they will likely skin you for $$$.

The Algonquin is cool because it has slightly newer apartments with new kitchens, carpets, and good interior decorating, giving them an altogether nicer feel.

The downsides are that they dont have central air conditioning or heating, they are a bit smaller, less security, fewer amenities, and the two biggest downsides are:

1) They are owned (not managed) by MAC property management, who are the devils/ slum lord wannabees of Hyde Park. If they exert further control over the property, life will be crappier for you.
2) Birds crap EVERYWHERE at the Algonquin. It is disgusting. If you park outside for one day, your car is covered with bird crap. While walking outside of the building, I never look up or open my mouth because there are hundreds of crows year-round that cover everything outside of the builfing in bird crap. It is especially gross during the deepest winter when the birds become diseased and start crapping blood/orange stuff/die in front of the buildings

appreciate this! I'm trying to decide if its worth the $$ to have the convenience of law students all around. It will be a real bummer leaving my $700/mo 1000sqft apt with w/d/dishwasher/central air in unit.

Are these apartments furnished? If not, how do people get beds and couches into a high rise? haha I haven't never lived in a apt complex that was more than 2 stories.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 am

sarahlawg wrote:

appreciate this! I'm trying to decide if its worth the $$ to have the convenience of law students all around. It will be a real bummer leaving my $700/mo 1000sqft apt with w/d/dishwasher/central air in unit.

Are these apartments furnished? If not, how do people get beds and couches into a high rise? haha I haven't never lived in a apt complex that was more than 2 stories.

Good question. I'm curious about this as well.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:07 am

Knock wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:

Good question. I'm curious about this as well.

Every high rise I've lived in or been to have cargo elevators that the management will give you the key to during your move.
I imagine Regents is the same, though never been there so I dont really know.

tgir

Postby tgir » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:08 am

Anyone else from TLS at the Day in the Life program today? It looks like Dany and Verisimi were there? I wonder who you guys are IRL. We probably met, hahaha.

I'll try to post a write-up in the next few days if anyone is interested.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 am

tgir wrote:Anyone else from TLS at the Day in the Life program today? It looks like Dany and Verisimi were there? I wonder who you guys are IRL. We probably met, hahaha.

I'll try to post a write-up in the next few days if anyone is interested.

Extremely

tgir

Postby tgir » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:13 am

Actually...now that I think about it, I'm almost 100% sure I met Dany today. :D

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 am

tgir wrote:Actually...now that I think about it, I'm almost 100% sure I met Dany today. :D

Haha yes! But not until the end of the day IIRC?

tgir

Postby tgir » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:21 am

Dany wrote:
tgir wrote:Actually...now that I think about it, I'm almost 100% sure I met Dany today. :D

Haha yes! But not until the end of the day IIRC?

Haha, yep. ;-)

It's nice to have put a face to the TLS presence.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 am

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFo

Postby JFo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:07 am

alphamoose wrote:
JFO, I am seriously considering bringing my dog (mine im high school but has been with my parents in undergrad) if I come to Chicago. doggie playdates with alphamoose and JFo!?!

Oh heck yes. What kind/how old is your dog? Pics please! Corgi-mix-dog plays well with all dogs. Greyhound plays well, unless the other dog is below 10 - 15 pounds, and then he sees them as tasty snacks (no dogs have ever been harmed).

I also vote we start The Law School Dog Therapy Club, so that everyone can have access to cute fuzzy things during finals.

Postby 4102011 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:07 am

JFo wrote:
alphamoose wrote:
JFO, I am seriously considering bringing my dog (mine im high school but has been with my parents in undergrad) if I come to Chicago. doggie playdates with alphamoose and JFo!?!

Oh heck yes. What kind/how old is your dog? Pics please! Corgi-mix-dog plays well with all dogs. Greyhound plays well, unless the other dog is below 10 - 15 pounds, and then he sees them as tasty snacks (no dogs have ever been harmed).

I also vote we start The Law School Dog Therapy Club, so that everyone can have access to cute fuzzy things during finals.

I am going to be best friends with anyone with a dog. :)

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:51 am

Hmmm I think we need to elect Jimmy McMillan because:

quetzal_bird

Postby quetzal_bird » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 am

Bringing my australian shepherd. He's one year old

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thedude221

Postby thedude221 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Alright, so I asked this about a month ago and I just want to double check on something. The last thing that happened to me was a I got my financial aid package offer. Should I be doing anything right now? They are offered me too much btw for laptops and what not.

I am ED by the way.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Ghost wrote:
Knock wrote:
Thanks for the post. Any idea how much $ the gym is at Regents?

$726 but 3 months are free on the law school package so the rest would be pro-rated (per an e-mail from a leasing agent). And a 2yr lease gets free gym I think.

Right now I'm thinking about putting less than half that amount towards a bike and biking to Ratner/campus. 8)

Haha yeah but what about in winter? I think having a gym in your building is pretty convenient.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Looked at three apartments today, took an ungodly amount of pictures of the school, and am now sitting on the steps of the Art Institute loving life. :D

Postby 4102011 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Dany wrote:Looked at three apartments today, took an ungodly amount of pictures of the school, and am now sitting on the steps of the Art Institute loving life. :D

Ahhh I am so excited for you to post pictuuuures!

Also, I am v excited for the chat.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Dany wrote:Looked at three apartments today, took an ungodly amount of pictures of the school, and am now sitting on the steps of the Art Institute loving life. :D

I'm interested in reading your thoughts on Chi.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:50 pm

Omg isn't the Art Institute awesome???? I had a moment almost exactly like this when I visited (except minus the apartments of course)....<3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!!!!!!!! (:

PS: I hope you guys don't mind me crashing this thread once in a while even though I'm not in @ UofChi and probably won't be going there in the future><

Postby 4102011 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:51 pm

<3 <3 <3 <3 crumps :)

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”