Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
alphamoose

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby alphamoose » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:50 pm

alphamoose wrote:TEN DAYS! :shock: :D ... I hope it's all we've made it out to be. I want this to be an easy decision.

This.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:54 pm

dulcatis wrote:
alphamoose wrote:TEN DAYS! :shock: :D ... I hope it's all we've made it out to be. I want this to be an easy decision.

This.

It's going to be everything you dreamed and more.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:32 pm

People who are going Thursday - are there any plans for that night? I'm getting in at 3pm, but I don't think I'm going to go to the celebration of diversity. I could either hang out with a friend of mine there or hang out with some of my potential new classmates! Just trying to make plans to make the most of my short short visit.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm

sarahlawg wrote:People who are going Thursday - are there any plans for that night? I'm getting in at 3pm, but I don't think I'm going to go to the celebration of diversity. I could either hang out with a friend of mine there or hang out with some of my potential new classmates! Just trying to make plans to make the most of my short short visit.

You could always go to Bar Review and meet up with the law school students if you wanted to.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:59 pm

My flight gets in at 2:30. No idea what I'm going to do! It'll all work out?

Though I'm super un-diverse, I might go to that just to have something to do/some place to meet people.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 pm

I get in at 3 and am touring the Algonquin at 4.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Sentry wrote:I get in at 3 and am touring the Algonquin at 4.

I've been looking at the Algonquin too. But I don't think I want a studio. The one bedroom is smaller and more expensive than the Regents one bedroom if I remember correctly. Any selling points that I am missing that places the Algonquin over Regents?

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:55 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:

I've been looking at the Algonquin too. But I don't think I want a studio. The one bedroom is smaller and more expensive than the Regents one bedroom if I remember correctly. Any selling points that I am missing that places the Algonquin over Regents?

Nicer kitchen and bathroom, cheaper parking, free gym.

JFo

Postby JFo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:

For me, it's the hardwood. I'd like hardwood to cut down on the pain pet allergy sufferers feel upon entering my apartment. I'd also like to cut down on the frequency the phrase "If you're going to barf, at least do it on the tile," in my apartment.

And, I mean, also the free gym and updated kitchen. If you're into that sort of thing.

JFO?! Posting about pets!? NO WAI!!!

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:59 pm

From the shots I've seen the gym at Algonquin is nothing compared to the Regents gym. As far as kitchens go, I must admit the Algonquin > Regent.

I have appointments to see both, just wondering what someone else saw in the Algonquin.

Cannot wait till April 7th!

Postby 4102011 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:40 pm

I think my goal in life is to get Lior to say "rigor" in real life and teach him how to use emoticons.

We will be BFFs.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:43 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:From the shots I've seen the gym at Algonquin is nothing compared to the Regents gym. As far as kitchens go, I must admit the Algonquin > Regent.

I have appointments to see both, just wondering what someone else saw in the Algonquin.

I am sure some people use the Regents gym, but I think almost everyone saves their money and works out at Ratner and Crown.

One of the advantages of the Algonquin IMO is just that it isn't Regents. It is just across the street so totally convenient if you want to go over and hang out, but while Regents is totally fine I'm still glad I don't live there. Too big, too many law school students in one place.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 pm

dulcatis wrote:I think my goal in life is to get Lior to say "rigor" in real life and teach him how to use emoticons.

We will be BFFs.

Wait, Lior is male?! I assumed he/she was female...like all the other Liors I know. :? :?:

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Emma. wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:From the shots I've seen the gym at Algonquin is nothing compared to the Regents gym. As far as kitchens go, I must admit the Algonquin > Regent.

I am sure some people use the Regents gym, but I think almost everyone saves their money and works out at Ratner and Crown.

One of the advantages of the Algonquin IMO is just that it isn't Regents. It is just across the street so totally convenient if you want to go over and hang out, but while Regents is totally fine I'm still glad I don't live there. Too big, too many law school students in one place.

Ratner and Crown? Any idea how much the Regents gym is?

Verisimi

Postby Verisimi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:47 pm

I went today, so I'll do a quick recap for until a better one appears. We had a mini coffee mess, which is just as it sounds - a miniature version of the coffee messes that they occasionally have at the law school and introductory questions with some 1Ls.

Then, we attended a torts lecture. The professor was pretty hilarious. It was much more entertaining than most of my lectures in undergrad. However, it was the first day of classes, so take that as you will.

Next, 2 pretty informative Q&A sessions. Through these and the next rounds of Q&A after lunch I got pretty much all of my questions answered.

Lunch was pretty disappointing. They served us box lunches, which were fine, but I was told by my 1L friends that they're not very good compared to what the lunches normally are.

Finally, the second batch of Q&A and we were done. Except for a little bit of information overload, it was a pretty quick day.

Overall impression: I really really liked the faculty and staff. Although it is their job to sell the school, everyone seemed to genuinely care about us. Coming from So Cal, the weather has been pretty brutal, but I walked around downtown tonight for a few hours and it wasn't unmanageable. This was definitely a good way to start off my law school visits.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Verisimi wrote:I went today, so I'll do a quick recap for until a better one appears. We had a mini coffee mess, which is just as it sounds - a miniature version of the coffee messes that they occasionally have at the law school and introductory questions with some 1Ls.

Then, we attended a torts lecture. The professor was pretty hilarious. It was much more entertaining than most of my lectures in undergrad. However, it was the first day of classes, so take that as you will.

Next, 2 pretty informative Q&A sessions. Through these and the next rounds of Q&A after lunch I got pretty much all of my questions answered.

Lunch was pretty disappointing. They served us box lunches, which were fine, but I was told by my 1L friends that they're not very good compared to what the lunches normally are.

Finally, the second batch of Q&A and we were done. Except for a little bit of information overload, it was a pretty quick day.

Overall impression: I really really liked the faculty and staff. Although it is their job to sell the school, everyone seemed to genuinely care about us. Coming from So Cal, the weather has been pretty brutal, but I walked around downtown tonight for a few hours and it wasn't unmanageable. This was definitely a good way to start off my law school visits.

Thanks!! What did you think about the overall atmosphere/current students?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Emma. wrote:

is there a law school rate at algonquin?

Verisimi

Postby Verisimi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:58 pm

From what I've seen by staying with my 1L friend who lives in Regents, people are generally friendly and social. Everyone I've met has been very nice, most have congratulated me on my admission, and seem to want me to come here. On the academic side, it's going to be A LOT of work. When the staff comes out and directly says that as part of their spiel, you have to take that into account. However, it doesn't, at least from my very limited experience and from what my friend has said, seem cutthroat. Almost everyone knows each other among the 1L's, at least by name or face, which is a big plus of the small class size.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:14 pm

I think I need a day to collect myself before writing up what I thought, so before I go all gung-ho Chicago on you guys, I'll just say this: I am SO incredibly excited to get to go to Chi in the fall, and I feel unbelievably lucky.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Dany wrote:I think I need a day to collect myself before writing up what I thought, so before I go all gung-ho Chicago on you guys, I'll just say this: I am SO incredibly excited to get to go to Chi in the fall, and I feel unbelievably lucky.

Knew it (yeah, I'm a total savant, right?). :D :D :D :D :D

Postby 4102011 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Dany wrote:I think I need a day to collect myself before writing up what I thought, so before I go all gung-ho Chicago on you guys, I'll just say this: I am SO incredibly excited to get to go to Chi in the fall, and I feel unbelievably lucky.

<3 <3 <3

I am so glad you loved it! :) Hoping to feel the same way in ten days!

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:09 am

To respond to some of the banter about Regents and the Algonquin-- they are both good places to live.

Regents apartments are roomier and the managing group has a very tight relationship with the law school. Some amenities are pretty cool, but overpriced such as their market, dry cleaner, and gym (where Obama has always worked out for the last 15 years-- the 3Ls when I was entering said that they would work out with him during the campaign whenever he was in town). The laundry room is below-market cost, the conceirge is very professional and super focused at keeping legit Southsiders out of the building-- it is the safest place ot live in Hyde Park. I also like the law school community feeling there (a lot of exam study sessions occur in the building) and the free printing/internet found in most parts of the building. You will also see some of your professors in the building from time to time.

A downside to Regents is probably that some apartments have older appliances and carpets, some don't. Also, if you jack up stuff, they will likely skin you for $$$.

The Algonquin is cool because it has slightly newer apartments with new kitchens, carpets, and good interior decorating, giving them an altogether nicer feel.

The downsides are that they dont have central air conditioning or heating, they are a bit smaller, less security, fewer amenities, and the two biggest downsides are:

1) They are owned (not managed) by MAC property management, who are the devils/ slum lord wannabees of Hyde Park. If they exert further control over the property, life will be crappier for you.
2) Birds crap EVERYWHERE at the Algonquin. It is disgusting. If you park outside for one day, your car is covered with bird crap. While walking outside of the building, I never look up or open my mouth because there are hundreds of crows year-round that cover everything outside of the builfing in bird crap. It is especially gross during the deepest winter when the birds become diseased and start crapping blood/orange stuff/die in front of the buildings

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:13 am

TaipeiMort wrote:To respond to some of the banter about Regents and the Algonquin-- they are both good places to live.

Regents apartments are roomier and the managing group has a very tight relationship with the law school. Some amenities are pretty cool, but overpriced such as their market, dry cleaner, and gym (where Obama has always worked out for the last 15 years-- the 3Ls when I was entering said that they would work out with him during the campaign whenever he was in town). The laundry room is below-market cost, the conceirge is very professional and super focused at keeping legit Southsiders out of the building-- it is the safest place ot live in Hyde Park. I also like the law school community feeling there (a lot of exam study sessions occur in the building) and the free printing/internet found in most parts of the building. You will also see some of your professors in the building from time to time.

A downside to Regents is probably that some apartments have older appliances and carpets, some don't. Also, if you jack up stuff, they will likely skin you for $$$.

The Algonquin is cool because it has slightly newer apartments with new kitchens, carpets, and good interior decorating, giving them an altogether nicer feel.

The downsides are that they dont have central air conditioning or heating, they are a bit smaller, less security, fewer amenities, and the two biggest downsides are:

1) They are owned (not managed) by MAC property management, who are the devils/ slum lord wannabees of Hyde Park. If they exert further control over the property, life will be crappier for you.
2) Birds crap EVERYWHERE at the Algonquin. It is disgusting. If you park outside for one day, your car is covered with bird crap. While walking outside of the building, I never look up or open my mouth because there are hundreds of crows year-round that cover everything outside of the builfing in bird crap. It is especially gross during the deepest winter when the birds become diseased and start crapping blood/orange stuff/die in front of the buildings

Thanks for the post. Any idea how much $ the gym is at Regents?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”