Chicago Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:22 am

Sentry wrote:Harvard is a diploma mill. That is all.

I disagree. The more I learn about UChicago, the more I like it, but both of the people who got me interested in law went to Harvard and are very bright and good guys. Stop hating on our brothers in arms on the East Coast. There should be some type of law student solidarity. Except Yale...you can always bash those guys in my presence :lol:

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

.

Postby Muenchen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 am

..
Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:38 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Sentry wrote:Harvard is a diploma mill. That is all.

I disagree. The more I learn about UChicago, the more I like it, but both of the people who got me interested in law went to Harvard and are very bright and good guys. Stop hating on our brothers in arms on the East Coast. There should be some type of law student solidarity. Except Yale...you can always bash those guys in my presence :lol:

Sarcasm detection fail. ;)

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:38 am

seancooksey07 wrote:Hmmm still really unsure about Regents. I'll be living alone so I'm not sure if I would be better off living at one of the less expensive/closer places that the University owns.


As a 1L, I am highly encouraging you being skeptic of Regents Park. However, I also encourage you to be skeptical of other buildings in Hyde Park.

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

..

Postby Muenchen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:47 am

..
Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:51 am

I feel like I will be more skeptical for 2L and 3L, but the more I think about it, the more I just want to make sure I have a nice place with friends for 1L, and Regents seems like the "safe" choice. :oops: (I don't mean like, crime safe, just that I know what it is, what it looks like, and that there will be law students there.) I'm definitely still looking around, though. We'll see!

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby trudat15 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:52 am

Regents seems nice but it's a little expensive from what I can tell, at least for a one bedroom.

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Muenchen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:56 am

eskimo wrote:I feel like I will be more skeptical for 2L and 3L, but the more I think about it, the more I just want to make sure I have a nice place with friends for 1L, and Regents seems like the "safe" choice. :oops: (I don't mean like, crime safe, just that I know what it is, what it looks like, and that there will be law students there.) I'm definitely still looking around, though. We'll see!


Yeah, that whole comment about there being "the highest concentration of law students" is enough to make one anxious about being an outsider and missing out on some kind of 1L law school community that will form in Regents. On the other hand, I tend to like to be selectively available and may not enjoy that as much. But yes, the operative phrase is definitely we'll see.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:58 am

trudat15 wrote:Regents seems nice but it's a little expensive from what I can tell, at least for a one bedroom.

Yeah, if I live there it will be with a roommate but the 2BR rate isn't bad at all (if you're splitting it with someone.)

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:18 am

eskimo wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Sentry wrote:Harvard is a diploma mill. That is all.

I disagree. The more I learn about UChicago, the more I like it, but both of the people who got me interested in law went to Harvard and are very bright and good guys. Stop hating on our brothers in arms on the East Coast. There should be some type of law student solidarity. Except Yale...you can always bash those guys in my presence :lol:

Sarcasm detection fail. ;)

But there were no inferences. :cry:

What is this hype about this Regent's place. I looked at it and it looks pricey. Someone explain to me the advantages of it. I didn't think I'd get into U of C so I wasn't really paying attention before LOL.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:33 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:What is this hype about this Regent's place. I looked at it and it looks pricey. Someone explain to me the advantages of it. I didn't think I'd get into U of C so I wasn't really paying attention before LOL.

I mean, last year it was $1400/month (not including utilities) for a 2BR (so only $700 each with a roommate) and to me, at least, that doesn't seem that expensive for Chicago? Maybe I haven't done enough research though. I think the "hype" is just that it's nice, the bus goes directly from there to the law school, and a lot of law students live there. From what I gather in the Chicago threads on here, though, there are a lot of students who live elsewhere and love their housing, so it's definitely not the only option.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:39 am

eskimo wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:What is this hype about this Regent's place. I looked at it and it looks pricey. Someone explain to me the advantages of it. I didn't think I'd get into U of C so I wasn't really paying attention before LOL.

I mean, last year it was $1400/month (not including utilities) for a 2BR (so only $700 each with a roommate) and to me, at least, that doesn't seem that expensive for Chicago? Maybe I haven't done enough research though. I think the "hype" is just that it's nice, the bus goes directly from there to the law school, and a lot of law students live there. From what I gather in the Chicago threads on here, though, there are a lot of students who live elsewhere and love their housing, so it's definitely not the only option.

That's not bad at all actually. I must have misread because I was like "who are these well off people talking about 1000 a month by myself isn't expensive?"

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:42 am

Well it is over $1000/month for a 1BR, so maybe that's what you saw? And I definitely think that's a little outrageous.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby trudat15 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:11 am

eskimo wrote:Well it is over $1000/month for a 1BR, so maybe that's what you saw? And I definitely think that's a little outrageous.


Ahh thanks for clarifying. I only took a cursory glance at the prices, but the 2bedrooms seem very reasonably priced, at least for a major city.
Also, dont UChi students get some sort of student discount? Or lease special?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:15 am

trudat15 wrote:
eskimo wrote:Well it is over $1000/month for a 1BR, so maybe that's what you saw? And I definitely think that's a little outrageous.


Ahh thanks for clarifying. I only took a cursory glance at the prices, but the 2bedrooms seem very reasonably priced, at least for a major city.
Also, dont UChi students get some sort of student discount? Or lease special?

Yeah the $1400 is with the student discount. (That was last year, so I don't know if that'll go up this year, but I'm guessing it will a little bit.)

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 am

Also, everyone please feel free to note Schopenhauer's epic win of a 'tar I'm sporting. Yep, the bird now has sunglasses. Chicago might want to follow suit and make that the official version.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Ghost » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:22 am

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby DorianGray89 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 am

Does anyone know if apartments closer to downtown are the same price or more expensive?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:49 am

Kili wrote:Mmhmm...I'll probably live in Regents as well, but preferably in a 2BR. If anyone's wondering, I called and they are not furnished. /fail for my laziness

I suppose if you keep everything for 3 years that means it will be cheaper in the long run.

If you're planning on a roommate, I'm sure it won't be difficult to find one who already has furniture? Theoretically you could get away with just buying a bed.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Emma. » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:02 am

DorianGray89 wrote:Does anyone know if apartments closer to downtown are the same price or more expensive?


I looked around South Loop before settling on a pretty sweet place in Hyde Park. South Loop prices tended to be a few hundred dollars more expensive for a 2brm ($1800ish instead of $1500ish for the places we were looking at). I think once you get all the way up into Lakeview you can find comparable prices to HP, but it is kind of a trek to get to school (though there are definitely 1Ls who live up there and love it).

Algonquin is a decent alternative to Regents if you are considering HP. I know a few people that live there. The apartments are newly renovated and pretty nice, and each individual building is a lot smaller (I think only 5 apartments per floor) than the huge Regents towers.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:20 pm

Oooh Algonquin is pretty, too!

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:51 pm

I like posting pictures so here are a few apartments I'm looking at!

Regents Park (LinkRemoved)

Last year's law school rates (LinkRemoved)

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

1.9 miles from the law school/on the 172 line:

--ImageRemoved--





Algonquin (LinkRemoved)

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

1.8 miles from the law school/on the 172 line:

--ImageRemoved--






The Windermere (LinkRemoved)

Image

Image

1.2 miles from the law school/near 171 line:

--ImageRemoved--

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Ghost » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:05 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm

Kili wrote:Pretty! Thank you Eski!

There's a chat with upperclassmen tonight at 5 for those who haven't checked their email.

EDIT: Oh and can someone shoot up a flare when the first admit packet arrives? Nothing here in the SE. :cry:

Glad you liked it!

Also... I didn't know you were in the southeast, too!

User avatar
DaveBear07
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Postby DaveBear07 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:29 pm

No one has gotten the admitted student package yet, right? right????




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest