Chicago Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
bruinrandy

New

Re: Chicago Class of 2014

Post by bruinrandy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 pm

Emma. wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:Odds on hilarious drama occurring over this list? :P
If last year is anything to go by, extremely high.
do tell

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:59 pm

bruinrandy wrote:
Emma. wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:Odds on hilarious drama occurring over this list? :P
If last year is anything to go by, extremely high.
do tell
You are going to get all the lawannounce experiences you could ask for without me rehashing stuff from last year. I highly recommend setting up a filter so lawannounce goes to a separate folder and doesn't hit your inbox.

bruinrandy

New

Post by bruinrandy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:24 pm

fair enough. i can only imagine the sorts of things that might come up on there...

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:50 pm

You guys post some really helpful links! Thanks so much! I can't bring myself to sift through all the stuff on the facebook page. I'm so glad we have this thread.
Are some of you still without an email with the tuition statement? I haven't received anything - although I did fill out the paperwork late. I wonder if I can just talk to someone in the financial aid office if I go over there tomorrow. I'm all moved in (minus the dishwasher, which will come if we complain enough about it) and live really close to the law school, so I hope I can basically just walk in and make my way to the right people to talk to about tuition / administrative questions.

bruinrandy

New

Post by bruinrandy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:58 pm

Lisi wrote:You guys post some really helpful links! Thanks so much! I can't bring myself to sift through all the stuff on the facebook page. I'm so glad we have this thread.
Are some of you still without an email with the tuition statement? I haven't received anything - although I did fill out the paperwork late. I wonder if I can just talk to someone in the financial aid office if I go over there tomorrow. I'm all moved in (minus the dishwasher, which will come if we complain enough about it) and live really close to the law school, so I hope I can basically just walk in and make my way to the right people to talk to about tuition / administrative questions.
yep still no email about that stuff. I got all my information in very quickly, but there was a slight change to my initial loans etc. (something on their end). So maybe that's why i haven't received mine.
I'm going to give them until early september to let me know because then i'll be in chicago and be able to go in and talk to them personally.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:07 pm

If only every roommate request were this hilarious:

--LinkRemoved--

bruinrandy

New

Post by bruinrandy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:20 pm

afcanoe wrote:If only every roommate request were this hilarious:

--LinkRemoved--
now i want to go live in san francisco

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm about to out myself as slightly computer illiterate, but, if you haven't bought MS Office for your PC yet, you might be able to benefit from a stupid mistake I made recently.

I wanted One Note in addition to Office 2011 for my snazzy new MacBook Air, so I bought both Office 2011: mac AND Office Professional Plus 2010. Well, as you might already know (and as I only recently discovered), One Note (and Prof. Plus 2010, for that matter) only works with PCs…aaand UChi's tech store won't let me return it. If you're in need of Office (and One Note!) for your PC, let me know. I'd be happy to sell it to you for less than what I paid for it. PM me if you're interested.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:51 pm

afcanoe wrote:I'm about to out myself as slightly computer illiterate, but, if you haven't bought MS Office for your PC yet, you might be able to benefit from a stupid mistake I made recently.

I wanted One Note in addition to Office 2011 for my snazzy new MacBook Air, so I bought both Office 2011: mac AND Office Professional Plus 2010. Well, as you might already know (and as I only recently discovered), One Note (and Prof. Plus 2010, for that matter) only works with PCs…aaand UChi's tech store won't let me return it. If you're in need of Office (and One Note!) for your PC, let me know. I'd be happy to sell it to you for less than what I paid for it. PM me if you're interested.
This sounds like a job for listserv

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Sentry wrote:
afcanoe wrote:I'm about to out myself as slightly computer illiterate, but, if you haven't bought MS Office for your PC yet, you might be able to benefit from a stupid mistake I made recently.

This sounds like a job for listserv
Perhaps...but then I'd have to publicly own my dumb mistake.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:07 pm

You can run one note via parallels or bootcamp

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:18 pm

trudat15 wrote:

Wouldn't that require me to buy/download a Windows OS?

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:26 pm

I haven't tried it, but would CrossOver work in this situation?

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Just went over to the law school, here are some things people may want to know (unless I'm really behind, and you all know this stuff already).
--All of the tuition bills went out a few days ago. If you didn't get an email with your tuition bill, it's probably because you didn't sign up for E-Billing (which you can do on the Bursar website - accessible through a link on the June newsletter). While on that website, it may be helpful to sign up for direct deposit for the stipend.
--Tuition is due on the 16th of September, so loans will process through system, pay the tuition, fees, and health insurance (if you signed up for it), and the rest will be directed to you soon after (they will send you a check if you didn't sign up for direct deposit).
--You can pick up your student ID as of Sept. 1st. You pick it up in the Regenstein library (57th between University and Ellis), on the first floor.
--Once you have your student ID you should be able to access all of the places law students can access, which, I was told, includes Ratner (the gym).
--As of Sept. 1st, you can see a doctor in the medical center if you signed up for U of C insurance.
So, basically, it seems that there is a 1/2 month grace period in which we can use the facilities, access healthcare, etc. before our tuition payments go through. At least this is what I was told (well, actually I summarized it this way to the guy in admissions / financial aid, and he nodded in agreement).
Also, for those that are not bringing cars but want access to a car, there are several zip car lots on campus, one of which is about a block and a half east of the law school.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

coolgreen42

New

Post by coolgreen42 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:56 pm

Thank you so much! I just saw my bill, saw that I was signed up for health insurance incorrectly, submitted my health insurance waiver, and signed up for direct deposit. Glad to have these important things taken care of.

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Xifeng wrote:I haven't tried it, but would CrossOver work in this situation?

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover/
That looks like it would do it. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:26 pm

afcanoe wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

Wouldn't that require me to buy/download a Windows OS?
Yes, but it's only $30-$40 from the it dept. Depending on the loss you might take on reselling office, it might pay for itself.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 pm

I ran Onenote on my mac last year using Parallels. It worked flawlessly, but I would have been just fine with Circus Ponies Notebook.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Can I, um, just use Word for my notes? I'm really hopeless with computer things, and I don't think I could figure out how to work something new before classes start.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm using Word in notebook mode or (more likely) Circus Ponies

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:17 am

Dany wrote:Can I, um, just use Word for my notes? I'm really hopeless with computer things, and I don't think I could figure out how to work something new before classes start.
Word would be fine. Just set it to notebook mode. My guess is your lecture notes will be in some sort of outline format.

I think the real draw of OneNote is the ease with which you can format things. For example, you can (easily) add text boxes wherever you'd like on your notes pages.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:19 am

Last edited by Ghost on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:19 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Dany wrote:Can I, um, just use Word for my notes? I'm really hopeless with computer things, and I don't think I could figure out how to work something new before classes start.
Word would be fine. Just set it to notebook mode. My guess is your lecture notes will be in some sort of outline format.

I think the real draw of OneNote is the ease with which you can format things. For example, you can (easily) add text boxes wherever you'd like on your notes pages.

I didn't really know the value of one note until I read http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=163781 and realized what a powerful program it is. Esp when coupled with outlook.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:25 am

I know that this has been asked and answered before either here or in the uchi 2ls taking ?s thread, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone remember the general time we can expect to be out of class on Fridays? Trying to buy a flight.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”