Harvard Law 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
The Gentleman

Re: Harvard Law 2014

Postby The Gentleman » Wed May 11, 2011 11:53 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
mcweanis wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:wow, this thread is tiny! Anyway, it seems like a lot of people live in the dorms. Is that just the norm for 1L?

I'm thinking about living in Cambridge/Somerville, but the rent is really high. If anyone is looking for roommates, my husband + cat and I would love to share a 2 or 3BR to cut the costs. We've had roommates before and we are very clean, especially in common areas. PM me!

I'm so excited to move to Boston! I'm hoping I can squeeze in a visit in July..

aww i would but i think your cat with eat my gerbil & hamster!

lol my cat is super lazy. we had a mole once and she mostly just watched it run around. She loves fingers/strings/catnip/laps though! Oh and traveling:

That violates all sorts of TSA regulations! :shock:

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu May 12, 2011 2:09 pm

sarahlawg wrote:lol my cat is super lazy. we had a mole once and she mostly just watched it run around. She loves fingers/strings/catnip/laps though! Oh and traveling:

Aww, something about suitcases causes cats to think that it is the most appealing thing in the world.

In college, I decided it was a good idea to introduce my hamster to my cat. The hamster freaked out and ran away. The cat just sat there and did not move an inch.

hulahoop

Postby hulahoop » Thu May 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Public service announcement for all the new admits (congrats!) or anyone still looking for a place to stay.

My roommate and I still have one bedroom to rent out in our 3 bedroom flat, it is literally around the corner from the law school, about a 5 min walk (roughly the same distance as North Hall). $1000/month plus utilities which are generally under $100/month. There is FREE LAUNDRY in the basement, shared with the two other units in the building. Bedroom is large, can fit a queen size bed. You would be living with an incoming 1L and rising 2L, both girls. If you are interested, please PM me and let me know a bit about yourself and I will send you a link to a walk-through of the apt.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Fri May 13, 2011 7:45 am

Last edited by catsparka on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Fri May 13, 2011 5:47 pm

catsparka wrote:I just got HRES housing! Is anyone else living on 29 Garden Street?

I am :) !

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Fri May 13, 2011 6:15 pm

ebeth wrote:
catsparka wrote:I just got HRES housing! Is anyone else living on 29 Garden Street?

k i was planning on just stalking this thread but had to say i love your avatar :shock:

moneko

Postby moneko » Fri May 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melvin

Postby Melvin » Sat May 14, 2011 2:31 pm

moneko wrote:
lawpuppy wrote:
moneko wrote:any other gropius-ers (grop-ers?) worried about the ugliness of dorms? :(

did you go to the ASWs? gropius is...well, fairly hideous.

:( but i want to know HOWWWW hideous...

Gropius-er here. "Hideous" is harsh considering price and convenience :-). I don't think they look any uglier than typical dorm rooms.

Does anyone know which cell phone carrier has the best coverage for the gropius dorms?

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Sat May 14, 2011 3:26 pm

can any waitlist->accepts tell me what was in the big envelope we were supposed to get from harvard this week? its waiting for me at the post office, which closed at 12:30 this morning and isn't open tomorrow.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Sat May 14, 2011 4:27 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:
ebeth wrote:

k i was planning on just stalking this thread but had to say i love your avatar :shock:

Who, me? Haha thanks :wink:

dooterdude11

Postby dooterdude11 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:11 pm

So, as I am considering renting an apartment in Somerville, the broker I'm talking to (I am in Oregon) tells me that I have to send the checks for 1st/last months rent, plus his fee so that he can attach them to my rental application. The fact that I am receiving no guarantee of anything in return leaves me a tad uneasy. I've seen his license, etc, but I am uncomfortable with the idea that I have to send 4,800$ out into the ozone with my application. I asked if the landlords could give me a guarantee that I'll even get the place before I send money (by running my credit check and processing my application and/or giving me a lease agreement to sign) and was told that "this is how we do business out here."

Can anyone verify if this is a standard, or a least somewhat common practice? It seems like a terrible way to do business.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 14, 2011 9:15 pm

dooterdude11 wrote:So, as I am considering renting an apartment in Somerville, the broker I'm talking to (I am in Oregon) tells me that I have to send the checks for 1st/last months rent, plus his fee so that he can attach them to my rental application. The fact that I am receiving no guarantee of anything in return leaves me a tad uneasy. I've seen his license, etc, but I am uncomfortable with the idea that I have to send 4,800$ out into the ozone with my application. I asked if the landlords could give me a guarantee that I'll even get the place before I send money (by running my credit check and processing my application and/or giving me a lease agreement to sign) and was told that "this is how we do business out here."

Can anyone verify if this is a standard, or a least somewhat common practice? It seems like a terrible way to do business.

wait he wants you to send $4800 before even signing a lease agreement? before signing anything? iunno if thats the way they "do it out here" but it just sounds wrong (and he sounds kinda like a db for saying that lol)

dooterdude11

Postby dooterdude11 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:51 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
dooterdude11 wrote:So, as I am considering renting an apartment in Somerville, the broker I'm talking to (I am in Oregon) tells me that I have to send the checks for 1st/last months rent, plus his fee so that he can attach them to my rental application. The fact that I am receiving no guarantee of anything in return leaves me a tad uneasy. I've seen his license, etc, but I am uncomfortable with the idea that I have to send 4,800$ out into the ozone with my application. I asked if the landlords could give me a guarantee that I'll even get the place before I send money (by running my credit check and processing my application and/or giving me a lease agreement to sign) and was told that "this is how we do business out here."

wait he wants you to send $4800 before even signing a lease agreement? before signing anything? iunno if thats the way they "do it out here" but it just sounds wrong (and he sounds kinda like a db for saying that lol)

Yep. I take it that is not common, haha.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Sun May 15, 2011 3:51 am

what abut the financial aid stuff? i haven't heard anything, should i be filling out the harvard app now?

nikita

Postby nikita » Tue May 17, 2011 12:22 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
nikita wrote:Ditto off the wait list! :D
Ecstatic, but now to figure out financial aid, housing, visas...

Congrats! visas? where are you coming from?

Ontario, Canada :)
Any other Canucks out there?

T14

Postby T14 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:21 am

nikita wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
nikita wrote:Ditto off the wait list! :D
Ecstatic, but now to figure out financial aid, housing, visas...

Congrats! visas? where are you coming from?

Ontario, Canada :)
Any other Canucks out there?

Vancouver here. At the ASW everyone kept telling me how many Canadians were at HLS... but I never actually met any! :shock: :mrgreen:

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Tue May 17, 2011 2:33 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

It's not quite standard, but neither is it ridiculous, Boston housing is always a pain in the ass. I'd send the check and put a hold on it until you get a guarantee you have the place.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon May 23, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm officially deposited... yay! can't wait to be in Boston in the fall.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Congrats guys! See you here soon.
Last edited by Na_Swatch on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oxsoulxo

Postby oxsoulxo » Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 pm

I wanted to, but decided on North Hall for the first year.. please tell us how it is once you settle in!
Also, is your avatar your puppy? It's too cute :)

lastMinuteGuy

Postby lastMinuteGuy » Tue May 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Put my deposit in today and officially joining this thread. Now to start all over again with financial aid docs...

HNSA15

Postby HNSA15 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey everyone! How long did it take you guys to get a financial aid offer after all of your documents were marked received? I know they quote 10 business days on their website, but I want to see if maybe people have been getting them sooner. Thanks!

Keeper1125

Postby Keeper1125 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:26 pm

HNSA15 wrote:Hey everyone! How long did it take you guys to get a financial aid offer after all of your documents were marked received? I know they quote 10 business days on their website, but I want to see if maybe people have been getting them sooner. Thanks!

I think for most people it was 7-10 business days. Mine was exactly 10. Perhaps yours will be sooner since it's much later in the cycle.

For what it's worth, the financial aid site is really informative and if you read closely enough it's not that hard to figure out a rough estimate of what you can expect to receive. I was able to guess at my aid within like $500.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Fri May 27, 2011 6:56 pm

got my financial aid package today after going complete on Monday. Very happy :)

ams

Postby ams » Mon May 30, 2011 5:16 pm

Hey all, I'm new to the thread, but I can tell by the cat pics it's a good one! Anyway, I am looking for an apartment/roommates, specifically nonsmoking females. I'd like to get a place within a mile or so of campus for as cheap as possible (it looks like there are some options in the $600-800 per person range once you get close to the Somerville/Cambridge line). I'm 23, from Lincoln, NE, and my interests include reading, traveling, and baking. PM me if you're interested. Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”