Harvard Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Shloime

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law 2014

Post by Shloime » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Checking in!

When is the last ASW?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:41 am

Shloime wrote:Checking in!

When is the last ASW?
+1

I believe April 16th to 18th based on this thread:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=142329

Confirmation anyone?

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:23 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:
Shloime wrote:Checking in!

When is the last ASW?
+1

I believe April 16th to 18th based on this thread:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=142329

Confirmation anyone?
Yes.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:12 pm

I can't believe I'm actually joining this thread...this is a dream come true. Can't wait to see everyone in April!!

tbt14

New

Post by tbt14 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Confused7 wrote:I can't believe I'm actually joining this thread...this is a dream come true. Can't wait to see everyone in April!!
Likewise! Any idea how long after the JR2 until we receive further info from admissions via mail/email?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Confused7 wrote:I can't believe I'm actually joining this thread...this is a dream come true. Can't wait to see everyone in April!!
OMG congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: to ALL the new admits as well!!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 pm

tbt14 wrote:
Likewise! Any idea how long after the JR2 until we receive further info from admissions via mail/email?
My package took a four days after my JR2. I live in a semi-rural area in the northeast.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:36 am

tbt14 wrote:
I think JR said that they would send stuff "in a day or so"...hopefully it'll come before the end of the week. I'm in NYC so not too far. Don't think I'll believe I'm actually in unless I have the actual letter in my hand. :D

tbt14

New

Post by tbt14 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:57 am

Confused7 wrote:
tbt14 wrote:
I think JR said that they would send stuff "in a day or so"...hopefully it'll come before the end of the week. I'm in NYC so not too far. Don't think I'll believe I'm actually in unless I have the actual letter in my hand. :D
Exxaaaccttlllyyyyyyy :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Hmm. Im assuming the sfs system crash has delayed sending out packages. I hope they get them out soon. Im ready to end this cycle.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:59 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Hmm. Im assuming the sfs system crash has delayed sending out packages. I hope they get them out soon. Im ready to end this cycle.
+1

Is there an official fb group for HLS '14? There's a couple that come up with varying number of members. Also, is anyone else planning on deferring?

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:01 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Hmm. Im assuming the sfs system crash has delayed sending out packages. I hope they get them out soon. Im ready to end this cycle.
I just got mine. I applied as a loan-only applicant, so it basically just told me what amount of loans is eligible for the LIPP.

fishdude

New

Post by fishdude » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Just got my award package! Included loans and a need-based grant.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Yea just got mines as well. It was exactly what I expected but it still hurts to think about the amount of debt. I guess its time to finally make a decision. :|

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:12 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Yea just got mines as well. It was exactly what I expected but it still hurts to think about the amount of debt. I guess its time to finally make a decision. :|
It's certainly not a pleasant thought, but education is a worthy investment. And if you manage your budget properly after school it's not impossible to pay off in a reasonable amount of time. Just trying to rationalize what amounts to buying a house :wink:

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Confused7 wrote:
+1

Is there an official fb group for HLS '14? There's a couple that come up with varying number of members. Also, is anyone else planning on deferring?
Can someone pls answer this.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Hey all. Just wanted to know if there was any other veterans who were accepted into Harvard? If so have you heard that the Yellow Ribbon Program will stay the same? I know right now it's free for us to go to Harvard but with the changes in the post 9/11 GI Bill will it be the same for c/o 2014.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:21 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
+1

Can someone pls answer this.
I am at work. Facebook is blocked. I can check later.

rv11

Bronze

Post by rv11 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:41 pm

Has anyone started looking for off-campus apartments yet? What would be a reasonable price for a studio? I'm finding some things in the $1300-$1400 range without utilities, but I don't know if that's good or bad. Also, I assume we have to look for August 1st move-in dates? This whole housing process seems a little bit daunting.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:08 am

rv11 wrote:Has anyone started looking for off-campus apartments yet? What would be a reasonable price for a studio? I'm finding some things in the $1300-$1400 range without utilities, but I don't know if that's good or bad. Also, I assume we have to look for August 1st move-in dates? This whole housing process seems a little bit daunting.
I agree it's so many things to look at. I think a lot of people are doing the grad housing thing. I'll be looking for a place off campus though. I've actually circled some that current students have told me about and will be visiting during ASW. I think that asking current students might be a good way to go. I know HLS students have a couple of threads on here you might want to check them out and they can give you specific details about places. Like since I'm bringing my car I wanted something with parking garage and a 1L told me about a really nice apartment that had many of the things I was looking for plus a parking garage. Speaking of parking I'm wondering if there is good parking at or around the school.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:47 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
rv11 wrote:Has anyone started looking for off-campus apartments yet? What would be a reasonable price for a studio? I'm finding some things in the $1300-$1400 range without utilities, but I don't know if that's good or bad. Also, I assume we have to look for August 1st move-in dates? This whole housing process seems a little bit daunting.
I agree it's so many things to look at. I think a lot of people are doing the grad housing thing. I'll be looking for a place off campus though. I've actually circled some that current students have told me about and will be visiting during ASW. I think that asking current students might be a good way to go. I know HLS students have a couple of threads on here you might want to check them out and they can give you specific details about places. Like since I'm bringing my car I wanted something with parking garage and a 1L told me about a really nice apartment that had many of the things I was looking for plus a parking garage. Speaking of parking I'm wondering if there is good parking at or around the school.
The school has parking, but I do not know how hard it is to get. (Here is the website: http://www.uos.harvard.edu/transportation/parking/.) Having to get a permit to park on the street sounds annoying. I would look for a place that has heat included - a lot of places seem to offer that. $1,300-$1,400 sounds okay if you are close to campus. If I go to Harvard, I am shooting to spend around that amount for a one-bedroom in Allston or Somerville. With two cats and a husband, I would go crazy in a studio.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:43 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

There's a parking lot attached to the school underneath the new building. It's crazy expensive. If you plan to live off campus, you will be walking, taking public transportation, or taking the Harvard shuttle. Parking at or near campus will either cost you a fortune OR if street parking, will be almost non-existent.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 pm

mightyaphrodite wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

There's a parking lot attached to the school underneath the new building. It's crazy expensive. If you plan to live off campus, you will be walking, taking public transportation, or taking the Harvard shuttle. Parking at or near campus will either cost you a fortune OR if street parking, will be almost non-existent.
Thanks! Do people ride bikes? The place I was looking at is like a 20minute walk I figure that means a 4 min bike ride. Are bike racks near the law school?

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:58 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Thanks! Do people ride bikes? The place I was looking at is like a 20minute walk I figure that means a 4 min bike ride. Are bike racks near the law school?
Boston is generally a bike friendly place. There are a ton of bike racks at the front of school near Pound Hall and scattered other places on campus.

chuckbasstard

New

Post by chuckbasstard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Has anyone gotten the travel subsidy check for March admitted students weekend yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”