NYU Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ahduth

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:31 pm

swampthang wrote:Roll our eyes at the pasty, chunky Ivy Leaguers who could care less about sports? Or stuff them into lockers. I'm down with either.

Pretty sure people at NYU are even less interested in college sports than Ivy Leaguers lol. Maybe you might have convinced the hipsters to go see the soccer team, but I think the matches were held in New Jersey.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:35 pm

ahduth wrote:
swampthang wrote:Roll our eyes at the pasty, chunky Ivy Leaguers who could care less about sports? Or stuff them into lockers. I'm down with either.

Pretty sure people at NYU are even less interested in college sports than Ivy Leaguers lol. Maybe you might have convinced the hipsters to go see the soccer team, but I think the matches were held in New Jersey.

I'm sure you're spot on which puts them even lower on my totem pole. At least Ivy Leaguers you know, went to an Ivy League school. I'm honestly baffled by people who are so unrounded that they look down on athletic pursuits. There are few things more satisfying than being able to both out-debate someone and beat them up. I suppose being better looking is a nice addition. :D

mst

Postby mst » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Anybody down for starting a 1L saturday afternoon college football-drinking club? Ivy leaguers are not invited unless we can give them wedgies first.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:46 pm

swampthang wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I'm sure you're spot on which puts them even lower on my totem pole. At least Ivy Leaguers you know, went to an Ivy League school. I'm honestly baffled by people who aren't so unrounded that they look down on athletic pursuits. There are few things more satisfying than being able to both out-debate someone and beat them up. I suppose being better looking is a nice addition. :D

Not so much that the students look down on athletics - just that it's not a consequential part of the school's social environment. There's no NYU football team, and about a million other things to do besides watching another school's football team.

The social dynamic is similar to how the frats at NYU are nearly completely irrelevant compared with other schools, in terms of their social relevance. When I was in UG at NYU I think I went to one frat party, and that was completely on accident. It was always a bit of a culture shock to go visit my friends at other schools where those were THE parties. There's just a lot of other stuff going on in NYC.

Can't speak to how all that translates at the law school however. NYU is nothing if not a big school - I only saw CAS undergrad.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Still no word on scholarships?

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:53 pm

mst wrote:Anybody down for starting a 1L saturday afternoon college football-drinking club? Ivy leaguers are not invited unless we can give them wedgies first.

yes! i'm not going to lie...i'm going to miss tailgating all morning, going to the game, and going out to celebrate after...it's hard to imagine spending a fall Saturday any other way. but if i end up at NYU, i'm down for a pathetic attempt at recreating said experience anytime anywhere. haha

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:55 pm

CastleRock wrote:Still no word on scholarships?

nope, but if we already have scholarships from other t14 schools, should we try to preemptively negotiate merit aid, or just wait until after they've made their offer?...if they make one at all. lol

mst

Postby mst » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:57 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:
mst wrote:Anybody down for starting a 1L saturday afternoon college football-drinking club? Ivy leaguers are not invited unless we can give them wedgies first.

yes! i'm not going to lie...i'm going to miss tailgating all morning, going to the game, and going out to celebrate after...it's hard to imagine spending a fall Saturday any other way. but if i end up at NYU, i'm down for a pathetic attempt at recreating said experience anytime anywhere. haha

I can already imagine the two of us obnoxiously drinking in Washington Square Park with a big tent, a smoker, and some kegs and trying to spot people wearing Jorts. Classy.

Edit: We'll rotate to increasingly inappropriate locations as the year goes on...By November we'll be in front of the stock exchange.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:59 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:

It's probably absolute pits at NYU in that regard because at least the other top schools pretend to play varying degrees of something resembling college football (with special props to Stanford):

Pac-10: S, Berk
B10: Mich, NW
ACC: UVA, Dook
Ivy: Y, H, Col, Penn, Corn
Patriot: Gtown
UAA (D3, but > nothing): Chi
N/A: NYU

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Count me in.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:00 pm

us in a few years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgbBP9Em00A
GO GATAH!!! lmao

mst

Postby mst » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:01 pm

oh god.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:02 pm

So nothing from anybody on this highly relevant topic?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:05 pm

For the record, I'm always up for drinking and/or football. Or any other sport for that matter.

mst

Postby mst » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:07 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:For the record, I'm always up for drinking and/or football. Or any other sport for that matter.

Thank god. I thought my free time was going to be completely dominated by trying to dress the most hip, bragging about the best coffee shop, and listening to increasingly weird music. Glad I can throw some football in there.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 pm

mst wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:For the record, I'm always up for drinking and/or football. Or any other sport for that matter.

Thank god. I thought my free time was going to be completely dominated by trying to dress the most hip, bragging about the best coffee shop, and listening to increasingly weird music. Glad I can throw some football in there.

I'm willing to do that too, but only if it is in a sarcastic drunken stupor.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:17 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:

nope, but if we already have scholarships from other t14 schools, should we try to preemptively negotiate merit aid, or just wait until after they've made their offer?...if they make one at all. lol

When I got one of the those awkward, surprise calls from an NYU student, I wound up blurting out that getting RTK was the only way I would go to the school. She told me I should let them know that. I do not know if it would make a difference.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:18 pm

I was looking at ticket deals through NYU and you can get some cheap tickets to Knicks, Yankee, and Mets games. I doubt you can get them for every game, but still they're really cheap.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:41 pm

swampthang wrote:

So nothing from anybody on this highly relevant topic?

I just posted on scholarships in the "in" thread because someone asked about it and I did some research on last year's in thread. But I think everyone here probably knows what I said, so it might not be relevant (just timing, interview locations, stuff like that).

Also, SO DOWN FOR THE FOOTBALL CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:50 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:I was looking at ticket deals through NYU and you can get some cheap tickets to Knicks, Yankee, and Mets games. I doubt you can get them for every game, but still they're really cheap.

It's really awesome. You can get tickets for a lot of Broadway shows, too. The Yankees games are really fun, and there's an express subway from the stop by the law school; you can get to Yankee stadium in about 25 minutes if you catch it.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

lsathalon wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I was looking at ticket deals through NYU and you can get some cheap tickets to Knicks, Yankee, and Mets games. I doubt you can get them for every game, but still they're really cheap.

It's really awesome. You can get tickets for a lot of Broadway shows, too. The Yankees games are really fun, and there's an express subway from the stop by the law school; you can get to Yankee stadium in about 25 minutes if you catch it.

Yeah, I was really excited when I saw that the other night. Broadway tickets would be nice to get too.

Also, how about Melo ending up in NY? Pretty excited about that too!

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

lsathalon wrote:

ok who's coming with me to see Legally Blonde: The Musical on Broadway?!?! :D

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:57 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:
lsathalon wrote:

Sure! It'll give us a good feel for how law school works... :roll:

mst

Postby mst » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:
lsathalon wrote:

im down. i secretly love that movie. and i heard they fixed the awful error in the movie where she went from 140 to 179. now its like 172 or something more realistic lol.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:04 pm

You do realize that nyu has not had a football team since 1967, right? There are jock schools, and then there's nyu.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”