NYU Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Thu May 26, 2011 12:54 pm

glitched wrote:it's a lottery. so as long as you're in before they start assigning, then you will have just as good a chance to get a studio as someone who submitted in march.


I think the deadline for the submission date to not be considered was sometime in mid-May.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Thu May 26, 2011 12:56 pm

RJ127 wrote:
ahduth wrote:You guys can LRAP too... :D


But what about BIGLAWWWWWWWW


Big Law: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/busin ... wyers.html

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby glitched » Thu May 26, 2011 12:58 pm

ahduth wrote:
glitched wrote:it's a lottery. so as long as you're in before they start assigning, then you will have just as good a chance to get a studio as someone who submitted in march.


I think the deadline for the submission date to not be considered was sometime in mid-May.


wellllll then.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu May 26, 2011 1:00 pm

ahduth wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
ahduth wrote:You guys can LRAP too... :D


But what about BIGLAWWWWWWWW


Big Law: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/busin ... wyers.html


Roughly the same amount of work/stress for a fraction of the salary? Sign me up.

neyaae
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby neyaae » Thu May 26, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm planning on relying on LRAP too...I just have this fear that the government will end the IBR or whatever it's called...when I visited other schools they said the subsidized stafford loans are probably going away after this year, has anyone heard anything?

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby booboo » Thu May 26, 2011 1:11 pm

RJ127 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
ahduth wrote:You guys can LRAP too... :D


But what about BIGLAWWWWWWWW


Big Law: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/busin ... wyers.html


Roughly the same amount of work/stress for a fraction of the salary? Sign me up.


RC Fail?

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu May 26, 2011 1:14 pm

booboo wrote:RC Fail?


It was more facetious in response to the guy's quote on the first page. He feels like he's doing the same work as partner-track. I know the billable quota is much lower for non-partner track positions.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Thu May 26, 2011 1:35 pm

RJ127 wrote:
booboo wrote:RC Fail?


It was more facetious in response to the guy's quote on the first page. He feels like he's doing the same work as partner-track. I know the billable quota is much lower for non-partner track positions.



Same type of work, different hours. It would be awesome if the debt weren't so crushing.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu May 26, 2011 1:47 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
booboo wrote:RC Fail?


It was more facetious in response to the guy's quote on the first page. He feels like he's doing the same work as partner-track. I know the billable quota is much lower for non-partner track positions.



Same type of work, different hours. It would be awesome if the debt weren't so crushing.


Yeah it seems like a really crappy alternative, especially when you have partner-track on the mind. I'm still maintaining the firm belief that the legal market will boom exponentially by 2014...I hope I'm not crazy.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Thu May 26, 2011 1:51 pm

RJ127 wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
booboo wrote:RC Fail?


It was more facetious in response to the guy's quote on the first page. He feels like he's doing the same work as partner-track. I know the billable quota is much lower for non-partner track positions.



Same type of work, different hours. It would be awesome if the debt weren't so crushing.


Yeah it seems like a really crappy alternative, especially when you have partner-track on the mind. I'm still maintaining the firm belief that the legal market will boom exponentially by 2014...I hope I'm not crazy.


Was that intentional?

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Thu May 26, 2011 1:54 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Is it bad that I'm using my expected future reliance on LRAP as an excuse to splurge when it comes to loans? It's like, yeah, I could take less than the COL budget and try to get a really cheap apartment, but all of my loans are going to be repaid for me. I could buy a $400 PC and use a Windows OS I'm not very familiar with, or I could just take the full laptop allowance and ball out with a new Macbook.

You're not the only one who is thinking this.


My mom doesn't understand why she can't give me a few hundred dollars a month interest-free so I can take out a smaller amount of loans

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby glitched » Thu May 26, 2011 1:57 pm

RJ127 wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
booboo wrote:RC Fail?


It was more facetious in response to the guy's quote on the first page. He feels like he's doing the same work as partner-track. I know the billable quota is much lower for non-partner track positions.



Same type of work, different hours. It would be awesome if the debt weren't so crushing.


Yeah it seems like a really crappy alternative, especially when you have partner-track on the mind. I'm still maintaining the firm belief that the legal market will boom exponentially by 2014...I hope I'm not crazy.


well if you have all four of these characteristics, then it's not a crappy alternative at all:
1. You are someone who wants a life outside of your career
2. You have 0 debt
3. You don't care about money
4. You want to practice law

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu May 26, 2011 2:05 pm

glitched wrote:well if you have all four of these characteristics, then it's not a crappy alternative at all:
1. You are someone who wants a life outside of your career
2. You have 0 debt
3. You don't care about money
4. You want to practice law


Good point.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Thu May 26, 2011 2:13 pm

RJ127 wrote:
glitched wrote:well if you have all four of these characteristics, then it's not a crappy alternative at all:
1. You are someone who wants a life outside of your career
2. You have 0 debt
3. You don't care about money
4. You want to practice law


Good point.


You want to live in Wheeling, WV.

edit: the whole point of these "internal outsourcing" arrangements is to move the jobs to lower cost locales. I worked on it a bunch with a company I worked at - why have Finance staff in Chicago when you can have them in Waco, TX?

somewhere
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby somewhere » Thu May 26, 2011 2:54 pm

neyaae wrote:I'm planning on relying on LRAP too...I just have this fear that the government will end the IBR or whatever it's called...when I visited other schools they said the subsidized stafford loans are probably going away after this year, has anyone heard anything?


"Subsidized stafford loans" are not likely to go away. Federal loan cancellation might, since nobody's loans have been cancelled yet so not many people are paying attention to how much it's going to cost. But if it does go away, it'll most likely be after the first group of cancellations goes through, which will be after 2014— and if you're already enrolled in the program, it's pretty unlikely that they'd cancel it retroactively for people already enrolled, even if they cancel it going forward.

Also, NYU has repeatedly expressed their commitment to at least the level of LRAP they were giving last year, which was not dependent on IBR or loan cancellation. So even if the federal stuff all evaporates, and NYU can't afford the same sweet deal they've just started by piggy-backing on the federal programs, they'll revert back to what they were doing before, which was less sweet but still one of the best LRAPs around.

thegrayman
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thegrayman » Thu May 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Yay my deposit check finally cleared, they sat on that thing forever!

User avatar
nihilism is key
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:32 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby nihilism is key » Thu May 26, 2011 5:55 pm

am i the only one that submitted online? seemed like the easier option to me.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Thu May 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Didn't find out about online deposit until the day after I sent my check in.

Besides, who wants to conduct business over the Internet? I hear it's unsafe :o

thegrayman
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thegrayman » Thu May 26, 2011 7:07 pm

nihilism is key wrote:am i the only one that submitted online? seemed like the easier option to me.


Had I known, I would have. I didn't even realize we could :oops:

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu May 26, 2011 7:23 pm

nihilism is key wrote:am i the only one that submitted online? seemed like the easier option to me.


I definitely thought this was the norm...

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby glitched » Thu May 26, 2011 9:26 pm

i sent it in cash...

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Thu May 26, 2011 9:44 pm

glitched wrote:i sent it in cash...

I can make sure your, uh, tuition payments get in safely...

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri May 27, 2011 10:34 am

incompetentia wrote:
glitched wrote:i sent it in cash...

I can make sure your, uh, tuition payments get in safely...

Is that avatar stolen from another user? Who is that in it? WHY MUST YOU CONFUSE ME?!

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Fri May 27, 2011 12:10 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
glitched wrote:i sent it in cash...

I can make sure your, uh, tuition payments get in safely...

Is that avatar stolen from another user? Who is that in it? WHY MUST YOU CONFUSE ME?!


Yeah, the girl in that tar creeps me out. Who she be?

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Oh, this was Crumpets' tar (at my request). When she changed it, I had to take drastic measures.


It's Emilia Clarke from Game of Thrones (she plays Daenerys with that godawful bleached-looking hair).


She's mine. :x




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest