NYU Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:45 pm

bleedblue wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:Fuller disclosure: I am considering staying in Brooklyn even if I attend CLS, which is completely bananas, so take everything I say about commute times, etc. with a grain of salt.


:shock: :shock: That is pretty nuts. I kept reading that as if you actually meant to type the bronx(not sure if that is more or less nuts).

Has anyone worked on pinpointing the week for notifications of finalist status on named scholarships?? I looked it up once and I remember it being the second half of february but I cant remember if it was the last week or second to last week.


Last year it was this Friday.


Jeeesus. I... hope I get an interview and... I hope they schedule the interviews during an ASW.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:46 pm

I hate how they put such a quick deadline on scholarship winners.

User avatar
LinzerTorte
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby LinzerTorte » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 am

CastleRock wrote:I hate how they put such a quick deadline on scholarship winners.


That being said, if I get one, I'm going, unless something magical and HIGHLY unlikely happens at Yale.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:23 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I hate how they put such a quick deadline on scholarship winners.


That being said, if I get one, I'm going, unless something magical and HIGHLY unlikely happens at Yale.


What about Harvard?

CR is commenting on the fact that it's an exploding offer. If they start handing this stuff out that soon... you'd be forced to eliminate those other options. As a forgotten at Harvard, the exploding aspect is pretty annoying.

Thankfully I won't get the scholarship I applied for, so this is all meaningless speculation for me personally. :D

User avatar
LinzerTorte
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby LinzerTorte » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:53 pm

ahduth wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I hate how they put such a quick deadline on scholarship winners.


That being said, if I get one, I'm going, unless something magical and HIGHLY unlikely happens at Yale.


What about Harvard?

CR is commenting on the fact that it's an exploding offer. If they start handing this stuff out that soon... you'd be forced to eliminate those other options. As a forgotten at Harvard, the exploding aspect is pretty annoying.

Thankfully I won't get the scholarship I applied for, so this is all meaningless speculation for me personally. :D


If I get an RTK I would probably take it over Harvard, but not over Yale.

The bolded, however, applies just as much to me as it does to you!

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:55 pm

When does nyu release fin aid info? Not the schollys

Frankie55
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Frankie55 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:02 pm

CastleRock wrote:I hate how they put such a quick deadline on scholarship winners.


As I understand it, neither named, nor Dean's/invitations to Dean's have gone out yet, right?

nyulawguy
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby nyulawguy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:44 am

Hi all! The NYU Law Class of 2014 group is up on facebook, and there are plenty of current students who are willing to help answer your questions (if they aren't getting answered here).

The addie is http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 02026&ap=1 and congrats to all of you!

nyulawguy
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby nyulawguy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:45 am

Also, regarding scholarship semi-finalists and finalists, the committees meet at different times, and then things get tricky. Sometimes people decline a semi-final or finalist interview, and then they bounce to the waitlist, etc... so it can stagger out pretty quickly.

Best of luck!

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 am

I just called the admissions office and it was somewhat unpleasant.. sad face! That's the first time I've felt that way after calling a school.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thecilent » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:15 am

arism87 wrote:I just called the admissions office and it was somewhat unpleasant.. sad face! That's the first time I've felt that way after calling a school.

What happened?

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:14 pm

arism87 wrote:I just called the admissions office and it was somewhat unpleasant.. sad face! That's the first time I've felt that way after calling a school.


I actually called with a question once, and they weren't all that polite to me either. It was right after I had called Duke about something too, and they're always super friendly. I'm sure they're nicer in person though.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:15 pm

law_monkey wrote:
arism87 wrote:I just called the admissions office and it was somewhat unpleasant.. sad face! That's the first time I've felt that way after calling a school.


I actually called with a question once, and they weren't all that polite to me either. It was right after I had called Duke about something too, and they're always super friendly. I'm sure they're nicer in person though.


Michigan admissions staff is top notch. And that's an understatement. Super friendly.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Nothing in particular happened, just not all that polite I guess. Maybe I'm just accustomed to more from the south :) Although my question was regarding ASWs and I was told to email someone.. I did, and shortly after got the form email about ASWs. Did everyone get that again? I'm hoping it wasn't the response because it wouldn't really answer my question.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thecilent » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:23 pm

RJ127 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
arism87 wrote:I just called the admissions office and it was somewhat unpleasant.. sad face! That's the first time I've felt that way after calling a school.


I actually called with a question once, and they weren't all that polite to me either. It was right after I had called Duke about something too, and they're always super friendly. I'm sure they're nicer in person though.


Michigan admissions staff is top notch. And that's an understatement. Super friendly.

Michigan is TTT

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:40 pm

thecilent wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
arism87 wrote:I just called the admissions office and it was somewhat unpleasant.. sad face! That's the first time I've felt that way after calling a school.


I actually called with a question once, and they weren't all that polite to me either. It was right after I had called Duke about something too, and they're always super friendly. I'm sure they're nicer in person though.


Michigan admissions staff is top notch. And that's an understatement. Super friendly.

Michigan is TTT


QFT. Also worth adding that the exploding offer thing barely gives you enough time to play it off other schools, but at least you'll have forewarning if you're selected as a (semi-)finalist. Are you really required to interview in person???

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby mst » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 pm

I applied to a lot of schools and I agree that Dook was the most polite and helpful.

Other awards:

-Courteous but god-awful slow: Cornell
-Nicest but I'm still not going there: Mich (which is impressive because it's so big)
-Worst: Columbia (running off prestige much?)

I never felt that NYU's office was rude or unpleasant. Just efficient, which is to be expected I suppose w/ the size of their incoming class.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:49 pm

mst wrote:I applied to a lot of schools and I agree that Dook was the most polite and helpful.

Other awards:

-Courteous but god-awful slow: Cornell
-Nicest but I'm still not going there: Mich (which is impressive because it's so big)
-Worst: Columbia (running off prestige much?)

I never felt that NYU's office was rude or unpleasant. Just efficient, which is to be expected I suppose w/ the size of their incoming class.


Yeah I didn't feel that they were rude necessarily, but they weren't friendly either. And the bolded has so much truth. :(

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby 4102011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Starry & other GG fans: they're filming Gossip Girl near mah dormmmm!

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 pm

mst wrote:I applied to a lot of schools and I agree that Dook was the most polite and helpful.

Other awards:

-Courteous but god-awful slow: Cornell
-Nicest but I'm still not going there: Mich (which is impressive because it's so big)
-Worst: Columbia (running off prestige much?)

I never felt that NYU's office was rude or unpleasant. Just efficient, which is to be expected I suppose w/ the size of their incoming class.


Times a million. Unpleasant, unhelpful, uninformative, and possibly untruthful. Good thing NYU would never stoop to such a blatant selectivity play.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:07 pm

arism87 wrote:Nothing in particular happened, just not all that polite I guess. Maybe I'm just accustomed to more from the south :) Although my question was regarding ASWs and I was told to email someone.. I did, and shortly after got the form email about ASWs. Did everyone get that again? I'm hoping it wasn't the response because it wouldn't really answer my question.


Meh, this is NYU administration, or at least what I remember of it. You need to go through 3 phone menus and visit 4 different offices, before you find the person who can actually help you. That person is very friendly and concerned, and can solve your problem immediately - you do need to find them first, however.

One of the "perks" of going to a university with a student body population that's larger than a small town.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby 4102011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

I got another generic form e-mail about ASWs, if that helps you at all.

cruelestgame
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby cruelestgame » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:50 pm

~
Last edited by cruelestgame on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:03 pm

cruelestgame wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I got another generic form e-mail about ASWs, if that helps you at all.

same


Oh good, that makes me feel better! Thanks!

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:04 pm

cruelestgame wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I got another generic form e-mail about ASWs, if that helps you at all.

same


+ another 1.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest