NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
law_monkey

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by law_monkey » Sat May 21, 2011 9:26 pm

nihilism is key wrote:I'm moving out there in a week! in the process of trying to find a june sublet right now.
Really??? Let's hang!!! :D And are you looking on craigslist? That's what I did, and it was fast, painless, and I found something really reasonable.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat May 21, 2011 9:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwryFOYTKac

Also, I really did like the LSAT (although LG was more fun than anything for me). With the level of obsession I had in waiting for my score, I kind of burnt myself out on it a bit, but I've been helping some friends study for June and it's not half bad.

We could always form some sort of LSAT tutoring collective, organize it like the mob, and make millions of dollars. Good idea, or great idea?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat May 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Haha good clip.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Sat May 21, 2011 10:17 pm

anyone have any luck finding an apt fairly close to the school? and if so...did you use a broker?

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Sun May 22, 2011 11:30 am

law_monkey wrote:
nihilism is key wrote:I'm moving out there in a week! in the process of trying to find a june sublet right now.
Really??? Let's hang!!! :D And are you looking on craigslist? That's what I did, and it was fast, painless, and I found something really reasonable.
Yes ma'am! (to both the hanging and the shady search method). Craigslist is how i found my sublet when i was working in the city last summer and it worked out beautifully, but this is VERY short notice so its proving a little more difficult/stressful. But i am determined! Are you just subletting for the summer and then doing dorms?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun May 22, 2011 2:16 pm

nihilism is key wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Yes ma'am! (to both the hanging and the shady search method). Craigslist is how i found my sublet when i was working in the city last summer and it worked out beautifully, but this is VERY short notice so its proving a little more difficult/stressful. But i am determined! Are you just subletting for the summer and then doing dorms?
I'm subletting for the summer while I look for an apartment to move into in August.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Sun May 22, 2011 2:42 pm

I really want some New York pizza right now. You know, those ridiculously huge slices that fill the soul with happiness and boyish glee. Just. Three. More. Months.

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Mon May 23, 2011 2:45 pm

I know that this will make me super unpopular, but is anyone else reading through E&Es? I'm just bored (not in school at the moment) - but it would be fun to talk to other people who are engaging in some 0L reading. Message me.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon May 23, 2011 4:09 pm

melamine wrote:I know that this will make me super unpopular, but is anyone else reading through E&Es? I'm just bored (not in school at the moment) - but it would be fun to talk to other people who are engaging in some 0L reading. Message me.
haha gunnnnnner.. love it. Hope you don't learn too much useless material.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Mon May 23, 2011 4:12 pm

melamine wrote:I know that this will make me super unpopular, but is anyone else reading through E&Es? I'm just bored (not in school at the moment) - but it would be fun to talk to other people who are engaging in some 0L reading. Message me.
I plan on doing all of my "0L reading" in July/August. Trying to read the material closer to when school starts.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon May 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Is this something that people are supposed to do/tend to do?

I figured that I could be lazy this summer in exchange for maybe a week of looking dumb in front of the class :lol:

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Mon May 23, 2011 7:39 pm

incompetentia wrote:Is this something that people are supposed to do/tend to do?

I figured that I could be lazy this summer in exchange for maybe a week of looking dumb in front of the class :lol:

nobody's supposed to do anything. a lot of people say it helps a lot. a lot of people say it doesn't help a bit. normally, if there's significant evidence that X helps some people (but not all), and X-ing doesn't involve a disproportionate cost, I try X-ing, because there's some chance it will help me. *shrug* that just sounds like good sense...

that said, nobody says that not pre-studying means you will fail out of law school. nobody NEEDS to do it - and i'm sure a majority of people don't do it - but, i'd rather do better than not-better, given that 200K is being sunk into the enterprise. you can ridicule that idea if you want, but whatever - i was simply asking if anyone else was reading the E&Es...

let me say though - if you talk to law school grads reflecting on their law school past - they will tell you about a general trend of people saying that Xing does no good (whatever X is), while at the same time secretly Xing on their own. you can draw your own conclusions from this general trend - i'm just saying you shouldn't be too quick to believe it when someone says that X-ing is pointless.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon May 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Well you just go ahead and X your little hear out, melamine

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Mon May 23, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm down with X'ing but what about O'ing? Is that okay?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 pm

^ subtle autoadmit trolling

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon May 23, 2011 9:01 pm

melamine wrote: i'm just saying you shouldn't be too quick to believe it when someone says that X-ing is pointless.
But Y?

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Mon May 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Rising NYU 2L here, chiming in with anecdotal evidence about the necessity of summer "0L reading".

I didn't do it, and I don't think my performance suffered. In other words, you'll probably be just fine if you do what I did the summer before law school: nothing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Mon May 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Look - I didn't post earlier in order to start yet another big ol' discussion about 0L reading. I really was just asking if anyone else was doing any 0L reading, lol.

(That said, Forza, i completely agree with you. As I said before, i'm sure people will probably do just fine even if they don't read the summer before.)
forza wrote:Rising NYU 2L here, chiming in with anecdotal evidence about the necessity of summer "0L reading".

I didn't do it, and I don't think my performance suffered. In other words, you'll probably be just fine if you do what I did the summer before law school: nothing.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Mon May 23, 2011 11:32 pm

I'll be curious to see where those of you who are living off campus end up. My girlfriend and I - who have been living in the city for a few years now - are about to sign a lease for a place near downtown Brooklyn. Good luck to those of you who are still searching! Craigslist can be a pain, but you'll find something if you stick with it.

Regarding 0L reading: I'm going to read Getting to Maybe closer to the start of the semester. A friend of mine who's at HLS suggested reading something about the Supreme Court, like a biography of one of the famous justices. Luckily for me, I picked up a free copy of The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin when I met up with that friend this weekend; she was moving out of her dorm and the outgoing students had left a ton of books behind. Soooooo, I went to Boston with only a small bag but came back hauling 20 pounds of commercial outlines and E&Es. Oh well, if I need them next year I've saved myself some money.
Last edited by sgtgrumbles on Mon May 23, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon May 23, 2011 11:34 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I'll be curious to see where those of you who are living off campus end up. My girlfriend and I - who have been living in the city for a while now - are about to sign a lease for a place near downtown Brooklyn. Good luck to those of you who are still searching! Craigslist can be a pain, but you'll find something if you stick with it.

Regarding 0L reading: I'm going to read Getting to Maybe closer to the start of the semester. A friend of mine who's at HLS suggested reading something about the Supreme Court, like a biography of one of the famous justices. Luckily for me, I picked up a free copy of The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin when I met up with that friend this weekend; she was moving out of her dorm and the outgoing students had left a ton of books behind. Soooooo, I went to Boston with only a small bag but came back hauling 20 pounds of commercial outlines and E&Es. Oh well, if I need them next year I've saved myself some money.
You're turning down the offer from Chicago?

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Mon May 23, 2011 11:45 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I'll be curious to see where those of you who are living off campus end up. My girlfriend and I - who have been living in the city for a few years now - are about to sign a lease for a place near downtown Brooklyn. Good luck to those of you who are still searching! Craigslist can be a pain, but you'll find something if you stick with it.

LAUNCH THE COUNTER-OFFENSIVE!! SGT GRUMBBLLESSS!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue May 24, 2011 5:34 am

glitched wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:I'll be curious to see where those of you who are living off campus end up. My girlfriend and I - who have been living in the city for a few years now - are about to sign a lease for a place near downtown Brooklyn. Good luck to those of you who are still searching! Craigslist can be a pain, but you'll find something if you stick with it.

LAUNCH THE COUNTER-OFFENSIVE!! SGT GRUMBBLLESSS!!!
Lo haha Oh this is going to be a funn year

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Tue May 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Just finished reading One L.

Enthusiasm for law school is waning.

No more prep work for me this summer.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Oh, come on, it's not THAT bad. Besides, if you get Arthur Miller now, you'll know EXACTLY what you're getting into

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue May 24, 2011 2:29 pm

bdubs wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:I'll be curious to see where those of you who are living off campus end up. My girlfriend and I - who have been living in the city for a while now - are about to sign a lease for a place near downtown Brooklyn. Good luck to those of you who are still searching! Craigslist can be a pain, but you'll find something if you stick with it.

You're turning down the offer from Chicago?
Yep. I just withdrew. Their offer was to match the one I had already received from NYU, by the way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”