NYU Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
incompetentia

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Thu May 05, 2011 11:19 am

I think "going to NYU" is not high on the priority list for people from Texas, usually...

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Thu May 05, 2011 11:24 am

incompetentia wrote:I think "going to NYU" is not high on the priority list for people from Texas, usually...

You could apply the same reasoning to any state, especially California. Yet, here they are.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu May 05, 2011 11:55 am

Just looked in my closet at my pad in LA...definitely not prepared for snowfall. I don't even know where to begin.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu May 05, 2011 12:23 pm

RJ127 wrote:Just looked in my closet at my pad in LA...definitely not prepared for snowfall. I don't even know where to begin.

Haha as someone who has lived with and without seasons I can help all LA people. :D

abg

Postby abg » Thu May 05, 2011 1:09 pm

RJ127 wrote:Just looked in my closet at my pad in LA...definitely not prepared for snowfall. I don't even know where to begin.

Aside from obvious stuff like a big jacket or dressing in layers, you need some boots for the winter. Coming from Atlanta, I was in NYC for New Years and I was completely unprepared for walking through snow every day. I didn't wanna buy some boots for a short trip, but walking through snow in sneakers is not fun. It's also a clear sign that you're an out of towner.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu May 05, 2011 1:32 pm

abg wrote:

Aside from obvious stuff like a big jacket or dressing in layers, you need some boots for the winter. Coming from Atlanta, I was in NYC for New Years and I was completely unprepared for walking through snow every day. I didn't wanna buy some boots for a short trip, but walking through snow in sneakers is not fun. It's also a clear sign that you're an out of towner.

What are some good boots you recommend? I want something functional and versatile.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:35 pm

RJ127 wrote:
abg wrote:

What are some good boots you recommend? I want something functional and versatile.

People wear Timbs on the East Coast.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Thu May 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Well I guess there goes my summer paychecks.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu May 05, 2011 2:07 pm

abg wrote:

Bullcrap, I wear sneakers in Chicago year round.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 pm

ahduth wrote:
abg wrote:

Bullcrap, I wear sneakers in Chicago year round.

I was also going to say at my undergrad I wear sneakers in the snow. Just a pair that I care nothing about.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Thu May 05, 2011 2:28 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I was also going to say at my undergrad I wear sneakers in the snow. Just a pair that I care nothing about.

Good, because I can't envision myself wearing boots.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu May 05, 2011 2:52 pm

ahduth wrote:
Bullcrap, I wear sneakers in Chicago Minneapolis year round.

Unless it snows mightily, especially in the city, there will be enough snow removal that you won't really have to worry about trekking through too much snow. This isn't Buffalo.

(Really, one thing that can be an issue in New York is the wind tunneling effect. Make sure that you have a coat that is wind-resistant, unlike my crazy Upper Midwest self.)

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu May 05, 2011 3:06 pm

incompetentia wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Unless it snows mightily, especially in the city, there will be enough snow removal that you won't really have to worry about trekking through too much snow. This isn't Buffalo.

(Really, one thing that can be an issue in New York is the wind tunneling effect. Make sure that you have a coat that is wind-resistant, unlike my crazy Upper Midwest self.)

Yeah I have this g-star coat I got... several years ago. It's like a goddamn sleeping bag. I had to take it to a tailor to be repaired I like it so much.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Thu May 05, 2011 7:15 pm

RJ127 wrote:
abg wrote:

Anything by John Varvatos :)

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Thu May 05, 2011 7:17 pm

I can help u ther. So Cal here too, and I've gotten pretty good at snow. Get some nice boots, a peacoat, and a scarf. That's all I've ever needed outside of what I keep here. Just dress in layers and start shopping in NY!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu May 05, 2011 7:33 pm

shanemahsa wrote:

I can help u ther. So Cal here too, and I've gotten pretty good at snow. Get some nice boots, a peacoat, and a scarf. That's all I've ever needed outside of what I keep here. Just dress in layers and start shopping in NY!

AND FIND COMFORT IN THE UNDERGROUND TUNNELS!!!

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu May 05, 2011 7:58 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
abg wrote:

Anything by John Varvatos :)

Varvatos makes shoes?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:19 pm

incompetentia wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I dunno. Granted I am from the south, but I personally couldn't see living here without snow-worthy boots, at least after this past winter. Even after the sidewalks are partially cleared of snow (which was not for a couple of days when we really got slammed), it's very treacherous because the drains get full and all the intersections fill up with these really deep icy black slush puddles that look like pavement if you're not paying attention, and even if you are paying attention it's sometimes too huge to jump over or go around.

I've noticed that people in New York are really big on boots in general. Snow boots, rain boots... I even bought some ugg boots. I thought uggs lived and died in 2005 but people here walk around like they're totally normal footwear. I guess it's because you walk around outside so much instead of driving. Anyway, that's my procrastinating 1L opinion.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu May 05, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm a weird - boots are probably a good idea. I just hate them. (I have some rando pair of boots that I bought upon moving to Minneapolis - I think I may have used them once.)

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:09 am

I got some Sperry boots recently that are really good for cold, snowy days. I'm actually looking forward to NYC and its milder winters compared to where I'm at now...

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri May 06, 2011 2:01 am

Yeah, NY's winters are pretty bearable. Be glad you guys aren't going to school out here haha

hotthaichick

Postby hotthaichick » Fri May 06, 2011 2:11 am

Guys I need help. I am in love with NYU but Chicago just gave me $30,000 (total, not per year) in scholarship money. I have no money at NYU currently and I need to decide on Chicago by Monday!
Also combined with lower cost of living, I think this difference will be fairly substantial.

Please help convince me that NYU is still worth it. I already have a sweatshirt :P

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri May 06, 2011 2:17 am

hotthaichick wrote:Guys I need help. I am in love with NYU but Chicago just gave me $30,000 (total, not per year) in scholarship money. I have no money at NYU currently and I need to decide on Chicago by Monday!
Also combined with lower cost of living, I think this difference will be fairly substantial.

Please help convince me that NYU is still worth it. I already have a sweatshirt :P

In my opinion, you seem to have your heart set on NYU. Didn't you say you were visiting Chicago? $30000 at the end of the day won't mean too much.

I mean... if your screenname was uglythaichick... i might be telling a different story. lol jk.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri May 06, 2011 2:19 am

What is your objective for post-LS work?

The main differences I find with Chi/NYU are really class size, environment, and strengths in terms of fields of study.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 am

hotthaichick wrote:Guys I need help. I am in love with NYU but Chicago just gave me $30,000 (total, not per year) in scholarship money. I have no money at NYU currently and I need to decide on Chicago by Monday!

Email NYU to appeal your award, I'm almost positive they'll at least match it--in which case this becomes a non issue and NYU is the clear choice for you.

I was able to negotiate with them with money from a lower ranked school, so I'd imagine it should work with Chicago as well.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”