NYU Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Mon May 02, 2011 8:52 pm

re-applicant wrote:Has this worked for anyone?


It worked for a bunch of us previously, so I think the server is just having issues right now.

User avatar
re-applicant
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby re-applicant » Mon May 02, 2011 9:01 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
re-applicant wrote:Has this worked for anyone?


It worked for a bunch of us previously, so I think the server is just having issues right now.


Ah I see. Thanks!

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Mon May 02, 2011 10:10 pm

For the third time: Call ITS at (212) 998-3333 and ask them for your university ID and your netID and they will give it to you so that you can set all this up

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby glitched » Tue May 03, 2011 3:11 am

so anyone know what kind of law they want to do? who is gunning for biglaw? is it pretty much assumed everyone wants to try to go for a3 clerking? i know a lot of you want to do public interest. what kind of public interest?

for me, i kind of want to do tax law. it seems interesting to me. and also nyu supposedly has the best tax program so that's a plus. but who knows.

edit: i came into law on the idea that i wanted to do patent for biotech... but it's been a while since then i suppose.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Tue May 03, 2011 9:50 am

glitched wrote:so anyone know what kind of law they want to do? who is gunning for biglaw? is it pretty much assumed everyone wants to try to go for a3 clerking? i know a lot of you want to do public interest. what kind of public interest?

for me, i kind of want to do tax law. it seems interesting to me. and also nyu supposedly has the best tax program so that's a plus. but who knows.

edit: i came into law on the idea that i wanted to do patent for biotech... but it's been a while since then i suppose.



I'm interested in either IP (non-patent) or your basic M&A, securities, corporate law. A3 clerking of course would be preferential, but I'm going in with the assumption that I'll probably/hopefully graduate around median.

I'm really flexible though, I plan on going to as many PI events, the law & economic colloquium, public speaker events, etc. and hopefully I'll have it fully figured out by the end of 1L.

User avatar
Dayan114
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Dayan114 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 am

incompetentia wrote:I'm going to move in on Wednesday, most likely. Just easier than dealing with any early move-in issues.
For what it's worth, I tracked down the 2010 orientation sched...the Wednesday itinerary looked something like this:


9:00-5:00 Move in
6:00-8:00 Movie Night


Mind sharing that schedule (post/PM)? Trying to shoehorn in a late summer getaway with the wife before orientation starts in earnest...

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Tue May 03, 2011 11:08 am

Last year's schedule is here. (LinkRemoved) I'd imagine that it would be similar this year, although perhaps not identical.


(I'm looking to go into PI, but coming from a relatively unrelated field, I'm not sure exactly what yet. A3 is of course on the table, but I have no idea how I'm going to do, so...we'll see how it goes.)

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm planning on going into tax law, but I'm open to changes...

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue May 03, 2011 12:26 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:I'm planning on going into tax law, but I'm open to changes...


Corporate or entertainment, but also open to changes.

thegrayman
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thegrayman » Tue May 03, 2011 12:54 pm

tax law as well, but who knows, that might change once I get into the actually coursework

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Tue May 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Just put in my housing application. Thought I would have at least one of four choices at Mercer, but with costs I won't really mind nine months at Dag, really.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Tue May 03, 2011 1:56 pm

incompetentia wrote:Just put in my housing application. Thought I would have at least one of four choices at Mercer, but with costs I won't really mind nine months at Dag, really.



Is D'Ag really that terrible?

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Tue May 03, 2011 1:56 pm

Proximity was a downside for me. I know how lazy I can be. 8)

User avatar
re-applicant
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby re-applicant » Tue May 03, 2011 3:46 pm

incompetentia wrote:Just put in my housing application. Thought I would have at least one of four choices at Mercer, but with costs I won't really mind nine months at Dag, really.


I'll be putting down D'Ag too. I was a bit horrified by the size of the rooms there, but I'd rather have a small room and more money to spend on food/drink.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Tue May 03, 2011 3:49 pm

re-applicant wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Just put in my housing application. Thought I would have at least one of four choices at Mercer, but with costs I won't really mind nine months at Dag, really.


I'll be putting down D'Ag too. I was a bit horrified by the size of the rooms there, but I'd rather have a small room and more money to spend on food/drink.


I pretty much came to the same conclusion. If you get two roommates, you're looking at $830 of spending money per month

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby glitched » Tue May 03, 2011 3:51 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
re-applicant wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Just put in my housing application. Thought I would have at least one of four choices at Mercer, but with costs I won't really mind nine months at Dag, really.


I'll be putting down D'Ag too. I was a bit horrified by the size of the rooms there, but I'd rather have a small room and more money to spend on food/drink.


I pretty much came to the same conclusion. If you get two roommates, you're looking at $830 of spending money per month


can you share the room with campus housing?

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Tue May 03, 2011 4:01 pm

glitched wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
re-applicant wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Just put in my housing application. Thought I would have at least one of four choices at Mercer, but with costs I won't really mind nine months at Dag, really.


I'll be putting down D'Ag too. I was a bit horrified by the size of the rooms there, but I'd rather have a small room and more money to spend on food/drink.


I pretty much came to the same conclusion. If you get two roommates, you're looking at $830 of spending money per month


can you share the room with campus housing?

Not officially.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby shanemahsa » Tue May 03, 2011 4:01 pm

glitched wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
re-applicant wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Just put in my housing application. Thought I would have at least one of four choices at Mercer, but with costs I won't really mind nine months at Dag, really.


I'll be putting down D'Ag too. I was a bit horrified by the size of the rooms there, but I'd rather have a small room and more money to spend on food/drink.


I pretty much came to the same conclusion. If you get two roommates, you're looking at $830 of spending money per month


can you share the room with campus housing?


Negative.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Wed May 04, 2011 2:51 am

Bumping because it is the middle of the night and this thread lacks excitement.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thecilent » Wed May 04, 2011 9:08 am

law_monkey wrote:Bumping because it is the middle of the night and this thread lacks excitement.

:D

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Wed May 04, 2011 9:35 am

law_monkey wrote:Bumping because it is the middle of the night and this thread lacks excitement.



Yeah, the Columbia thread is seeing way more action. COLUMBIA!

User avatar
Lisi
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Lisi » Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 am

I plan to go into PI. I didn't leave academia to be a corporate slave! I'm not completely sure what kind of PI -- I'm going to let my experiences at NYU guide me when it comes to specific opportunities or ideas.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Wed May 04, 2011 10:00 am

Lisi wrote:I plan to go into PI. I didn't leave academia to be a corporate slave! I'm not completely sure what kind of PI -- I'm going to let my experiences at NYU guide me when it comes to specific opportunities or ideas.


Just out of curiosity, how were you involved in academia?

I was considering doing that for a long while and decided that being a corporate slave fit me better.

User avatar
GinaTheresa
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby GinaTheresa » Wed May 04, 2011 10:41 am

When you say corporate slave - what kind of daily work is that exactly? This is meant as a serious question. When they tell you you'll need to work 70-80 hours a week, with no days off for months at a time - what kind of work are you doing? Is it challenging and interesting? Or is it just tedious and repetitive paper-pushing that any office-drone with a law degree could do? If I had to do a boring job for 70 hours a week, I'd kill myself. But 70 hours of non-stop awesomeness . . . is a different story.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Wed May 04, 2011 11:07 am

GinaTheresa wrote:When you say corporate slave - what kind of daily work is that exactly? This is meant as a serious question. When they tell you you'll need to work 70-80 hours a week, with no days off for months at a time - what kind of work are you doing? Is it challenging and interesting? Or is it just tedious and repetitive paper-pushing that any office-drone with a law degree could do? If I had to do a boring job for 70 hours a week, I'd kill myself. But 70 hours of non-stop awesomeness . . . is a different story.


I think it really depends on the firm, whether you're doing litigation or transactional work, how good you are (or how the partners view you more specifically), etc. That's why it's important to do your homework before EIW.

I'm probably going to do corporate. It almost feels like I know too much accounting at this point not to.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest