NYU Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Mon May 02, 2011 12:51 pm

I could have sworn that the directions on the start.nyu.edu page said you could use your SSN instead of ID number....

I was able to access everything just fine when I set up my account, but now I'm not sure how I did it.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Mon May 02, 2011 12:57 pm

spacepenguin wrote:I could have sworn that the directions on the start.nyu.edu page said you could use your SSN instead of ID number....

I was able to access everything just fine when I set up my account, but now I'm not sure how I did it.


I already had both of them from before apparently. So I'm not completely unable to use computers. Just mostly unable.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:44 pm

thecilent wrote:If you don't have a netID or University ID, you use your SS to set shizz up!

Word

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thecilent » Mon May 02, 2011 2:07 pm

So just got a summer job. Hopefully I can pile away sum billz so I can have spendingggg money in the fall. So between job and going out a lot, hopefully I have some time left to gun a little bit this summer.

thegrayman
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thegrayman » Mon May 02, 2011 2:09 pm

my summer is going to be spent enjoying life. I came out of an auditing gig which was crazy hours, so I need some time to decompress before school starts. I was thinking of taking up golf or something like that

thegrayman
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thegrayman » Mon May 02, 2011 2:10 pm

oh nice I think the admissions office got tired of me calling them all the time, just got my deposit received email :)

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 pm

Just tried my SSN, doesn't work.

Will call in a bit. Strange.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Mon May 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Did you guys say that we'd be able to create our own email address? Like our names instead of just netid@nyu.edu?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

ahduth wrote:Did you guys say that we'd be able to create our own email address? Like our names instead of just netid@nyu.edu?

Yeah. Once you can get into NYU Home, you go into preferences and can change your "personal email address." You can only change it once a year though, so be sure you know what you want to change it to.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Mon May 02, 2011 3:36 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
ahduth wrote:Did you guys say that we'd be able to create our own email address? Like our names instead of just netid@nyu.edu?

Yeah. Once you can get into NYU Home, you go into preferences and can change your "personal email address." You can only change it once a year though, so be sure you know what you want to change it to.


Ah... ok, cool. So, they're giving alumni these gmail accounts as well. We used to just have a forwarding system, where you got an address in the format of x.lastname.1@alumni.nyu.edu and you had it forward to some other email addresss. But now I guess we'll be able to keep these addresses after we graduate. For what that's worth.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm not sure if the gmail migration applies to the law school. There was something in it that mentioned that it may not apply to some specific graduate schools, such as law, etc. I'm not really sure...

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Mon May 02, 2011 3:51 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:I'm not sure if the gmail migration applies to the law school. There was something in it that mentioned that it may not apply to some specific graduate schools, such as law, etc. I'm not really sure...


Naw, it's system-wide. I found the alumni email they sent me, and it's the same info as I got over the phone, same process for signing up, all that. Your email is an NYU thing, not school specific.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Mon May 02, 2011 4:11 pm

ahduth wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I'm not sure if the gmail migration applies to the law school. There was something in it that mentioned that it may not apply to some specific graduate schools, such as law, etc. I'm not really sure...


Naw, it's system-wide. I found the alumni email they sent me, and it's the same info as I got over the phone, same process for signing up, all that. Your email is an NYU thing, not school specific.


Yeah there's actually a message if you check your email about it. It's effective May 20th.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:13 pm

I think you're right. It says it only affects "@nyu.edu" accounts and not anything provided by individual schools, which I assume would be an "@law.nyu.edu" account. Sound right?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Technical difficulties with NetIDs. They're working on it. No worries, they're going to be flexible if they have to be with housing, etc.

Glad to see it isn't just isolated issues for some of you.

djaja
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby djaja » Mon May 02, 2011 4:27 pm

somewhere wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I think I've filled my gunning quota for the summer. Sombody else can do it haha


Oh all right, I guess I can gun a little:

Section 1:
Image

Section 2:
Image

Section 3:
--ImageRemoved--

Section 4:
Image

Section 5:
Image

(All data from incompetentia's post. I used Apple's Numbers app. PM me if you want the file.)


You seriously rock. I'm crossing my fingers for section five with my eyes on Barkow and Sam I(lots of letters)off

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Mon May 02, 2011 5:18 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Technical difficulties with NetIDs. They're working on it. No worries, they're going to be flexible if they have to be with housing, etc.

Glad to see it isn't just isolated issues for some of you.

I just called ITS about five minutes before this email dropped, and managed to get all the info I needed to create an account. The people are a bit snippy, but it works pretty well if you can't wait.

thegrayman
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thegrayman » Mon May 02, 2011 5:56 pm

incompetentia wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Technical difficulties with NetIDs. They're working on it. No worries, they're going to be flexible if they have to be with housing, etc.

Glad to see it isn't just isolated issues for some of you.

I just called ITS about five minutes before this email dropped, and managed to get all the info I needed to create an account. The people are a bit snippy, but it works pretty well if you can't wait.


How did you figure out what your ID was (the one starting in N)? I don't see how to get that to make my netID

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Mon May 02, 2011 6:02 pm

thegrayman wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Technical difficulties with NetIDs. They're working on it. No worries, they're going to be flexible if they have to be with housing, etc.

Glad to see it isn't just isolated issues for some of you.

I just called ITS about five minutes before this email dropped, and managed to get all the info I needed to create an account. The people are a bit snippy, but it works pretty well if you can't wait.


How did you figure out what your ID was (the one starting in N)? I don't see how to get that to make my netID


It sounds like it's your social security number, unless you've attended NYU before.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Mon May 02, 2011 7:44 pm

thegrayman wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I just called ITS about five minutes before this email dropped, and managed to get all the info I needed to create an account. The people are a bit snippy, but it works pretty well if you can't wait.


How did you figure out what your ID was (the one starting in N)? I don't see how to get that to make my netID

I just called the ITS number and they gave me both the N number and the net ID.

(Number is (212) 998-3333.)

EDIT: It seems like the SSN should work normally, but it doesn't look like it is for the moment.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Mon May 02, 2011 7:58 pm

So general question: We do get a law school specific email later, right? The law.nyu extension has a nice ring to it.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby shanemahsa » Mon May 02, 2011 8:06 pm

spacepenguin wrote:So general question: We do get a law school specific email later, right? The law.nyu extension has a nice ring to it.


I hope so. I would like to be able to choose the prefix too.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Mon May 02, 2011 8:19 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
I hope so. I would like to be able to choose the prefix too.



I was searching through the class of 2013 thread and got this:


Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Also re: the law.nyu.edu; apparently the variation is created throughout the summer in small batches. So everyone will later have both the law.nyu.edu and the nyu.edu. Mail will be delivered to the same account whether or not you use the ".law" suffix.

This information was obtained from the law school IT help desk.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Mon May 02, 2011 8:37 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:
I hope so. I would like to be able to choose the prefix too.



I was searching through the class of 2013 thread and got this:


Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Also re: the law.nyu.edu; apparently the variation is created throughout the summer in small batches. So everyone will later have both the law.nyu.edu and the nyu.edu. Mail will be delivered to the same account whether or not you use the ".law" suffix.

This information was obtained from the law school IT help desk.


They're in the process of switching to Google mail, so this is probably old news.

http://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publicati ... email.html

User avatar
re-applicant
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby re-applicant » Mon May 02, 2011 8:47 pm

ahduth wrote:
thegrayman wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Technical difficulties with NetIDs. They're working on it. No worries, they're going to be flexible if they have to be with housing, etc.

Glad to see it isn't just isolated issues for some of you.

I just called ITS about five minutes before this email dropped, and managed to get all the info I needed to create an account. The people are a bit snippy, but it works pretty well if you can't wait.


How did you figure out what your ID was (the one starting in N)? I don't see how to get that to make my netID


It sounds like it's your social security number, unless you've attended NYU before.


Has this worked for anyone?




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest