NYU Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
cruelestgame
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby cruelestgame » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:18 pm

ahduth wrote:Hey, should I have something documenting my grad plus loans and all that jazz? Or am I behind on some paperwork somewhere.

i only got my award via faaps or whatever it's called...nothing else after. i had assumed it was going to come in june or something?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:33 pm

cruelestgame wrote:
ahduth wrote:Hey, should I have something documenting my grad plus loans and all that jazz? Or am I behind on some paperwork somewhere.

i only got my award via faaps or whatever it's called...nothing else after. i had assumed it was going to come in june or something?

samesies, I got my "award" and that is all.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby ahduth » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:35 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
cruelestgame wrote:
ahduth wrote:Hey, should I have something documenting my grad plus loans and all that jazz? Or am I behind on some paperwork somewhere.

i only got my award via faaps or whatever it's called...nothing else after. i had assumed it was going to come in june or something?

samesies, I got my "award" and that is all.


I just thought I got comprehensive details from other schools. Maybe I should call them up and harass them.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:40 pm

ahduth wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
cruelestgame wrote:
ahduth wrote:Hey, should I have something documenting my grad plus loans and all that jazz? Or am I behind on some paperwork somewhere.

i only got my award via faaps or whatever it's called...nothing else after. i had assumed it was going to come in june or something?

samesies, I got my "award" and that is all.


I just thought I got comprehensive details from other schools. Maybe I should call them up and harass them.

Please do. It's been on my list of things to do, just haven't gotten around to doing it.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:51 pm

2011-2012 COA budget doesn't appear to be out yet, perhaps that is the reason you don't have a full detail.

There is a summary of all of the loan info on the 2nd page of your award too, it's not super detailed but it's there.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby mst » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:08 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Surprisingly, not a TON of talk about it. There are some. Me included.

What are your thoughts?

Just for ease of first year I think I might as well take it to start. Don't know NY well enough to find a random place yet. Not too excited about most likely having to share a place (such a loner), but it's New Yoahk and what not


Most important question I forgot to ask: Does either building have rooms with pianos? I don't want to lug recording equipment several blocks just to add some power chords :lol:


The Kimmel Center (it's like 2 buildings down from the Law School) has practice rooms you can reserve.


Oh awesome news! I'm really excited about this. The only piano I saw while I was there was in the law school auditorium and I figure the professors wouldnt be happy about that. At UF I had to sneak into the practice rooms whenever music students forgot to show up for their slots... but recently they put electronic locks on them and hired cops to patrol the building. So for the last 3 months it has just been me and my 40 dollar craiglist light-up Casio keyboard lol

djaja
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby djaja » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:09 pm

ahduth wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i am having buyer's remorse (for turning down CLS and its fancy name..) tell me wonderful thing about nyu!!! stat!


I chose NYU over CLS at equal money. I am 98% likely to do corporate law of some variety.

As a non-traditional student, I have a whole background I bring to this gig. When I talked with people at NYU (specifically OCS and the profs who lead up the Law and Business program), they were very clear that they had dealt with students like me before and understood that I had special needs with respect to recruiting. That there would be certain firms that would be inappropriate, because of the way they assigned work internally and how they "handled" associates; then certain firms that might be particularly attractive, because they would actually want to leverage my business experience. They made clear to me that there would be opportunities for me to capitalize on my background during my second and third year if I sought them out. The whole message was very reassuring.

At CLS I wasn't able to draw any of that out when I talked to people. It's possible I didn't try hard enough. But everyone said "the Columbia name will open doors for you." Which is a marketing gimmick I don't need to hear - I wanted to hear about concrete professional development mechanisms for people with business backgrounds. So in a way, the "name" thing was actually a central problem. I don't have a problem making my own way out there, but if the difference comes down to two T6 schools, I'd rather have the institutional support than the "name." Given all of this, if I was straight out of undergrad, I very well might have taken CLS specifically because of the name.

Related to all this is a sense I got that the NYU corporate program was a bit more "progressive," with the seminars they run jointly with the business schools. Differentiating the two programs was in the end basically not really possible for me - both have professors with who I'd like to work, and interesting clinical opportunities. In the end you have to end up above median at either school no matter what, so these are details on some level.

I'm also basically anti- at heart, and don't like the Ivy League prestige thing. I know that's at odds with me going into corporate law, but I've heard it all before and you can all go take a piss. :P



I had the exact same experience except for gov. background and admin law. See you in August!

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:07 pm

djaja wrote:
ahduth wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i am having buyer's remorse (for turning down CLS and its fancy name..) tell me wonderful thing about nyu!!! stat!


I chose NYU over CLS at equal money. I am 98% likely to do corporate law of some variety.

As a non-traditional student, I have a whole background I bring to this gig. When I talked with people at NYU (specifically OCS and the profs who lead up the Law and Business program), they were very clear that they had dealt with students like me before and understood that I had special needs with respect to recruiting. That there would be certain firms that would be inappropriate, because of the way they assigned work internally and how they "handled" associates; then certain firms that might be particularly attractive, because they would actually want to leverage my business experience. They made clear to me that there would be opportunities for me to capitalize on my background during my second and third year if I sought them out. The whole message was very reassuring.

At CLS I wasn't able to draw any of that out when I talked to people. It's possible I didn't try hard enough. But everyone said "the Columbia name will open doors for you." Which is a marketing gimmick I don't need to hear - I wanted to hear about concrete professional development mechanisms for people with business backgrounds. So in a way, the "name" thing was actually a central problem. I don't have a problem making my own way out there, but if the difference comes down to two T6 schools, I'd rather have the institutional support than the "name." Given all of this, if I was straight out of undergrad, I very well might have taken CLS specifically because of the name.

Related to all this is a sense I got that the NYU corporate program was a bit more "progressive," with the seminars they run jointly with the business schools. Differentiating the two programs was in the end basically not really possible for me - both have professors with who I'd like to work, and interesting clinical opportunities. In the end you have to end up above median at either school no matter what, so these are details on some level.

I'm also basically anti- at heart, and don't like the Ivy League prestige thing. I know that's at odds with me going into corporate law, but I've heard it all before and you can all go take a piss. :P



I had the exact same experience except for gov. background and admin law. See you in August!


That and the name shouldn't be that much of an issue except when you're talking to lay people. The employers know NYU's reputation and they're the ones you have to impress, not your friends. NYU and CLS should be about fit (unless there's a major financial discrepancy), so obviously if you chose NYU initially you must have seen something there.

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby pixytree » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:43 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
pixytree wrote:has anyone gotten their NetID? Housing website said we would get it within a couple days of confirming our enrollment.

It took me about 10 days before I could retrieve it. Longer before they sent me an email with instructions.


how did you retrieve it? I confirmed enrollment two weeks ago and haven't gotten anything.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:46 pm

pixytree wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
pixytree wrote:has anyone gotten their NetID? Housing website said we would get it within a couple days of confirming our enrollment.

It took me about 10 days before I could retrieve it. Longer before they sent me an email with instructions.


how did you retrieve it? I confirmed enrollment two weeks ago and haven't gotten anything.


Just go to home.nyu.edu and follow the activation instructions.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:46 pm

pixytree wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
pixytree wrote:has anyone gotten their NetID? Housing website said we would get it within a couple days of confirming our enrollment.

It took me about 10 days before I could retrieve it. Longer before they sent me an email with instructions.


how did you retrieve it? I confirmed enrollment two weeks ago and haven't gotten anything.

There are directions on the admitted student site. Under the submit deposit or whatever tab. Lemme know if you need better instructions since these ones aren't very good. (I'm on my phone)

Eta: beat me to it
Last edited by birdlaw117 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby glitched » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:47 pm

pixytree wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
pixytree wrote:has anyone gotten their NetID? Housing website said we would get it within a couple days of confirming our enrollment.

It took me about 10 days before I could retrieve it. Longer before they sent me an email with instructions.


how did you retrieve it? I confirmed enrollment two weeks ago and haven't gotten anything.


+1. then i tried to do it myself and got an error message saying that i currently can't hold an NYU pw. ERF?! I need to call them tomorrow but I am just so lazy.

Did anyone send in your and your parent's tax returns yet to the financial aid?

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Haha I love how three of us answered that at the same time.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Cannot wait for Orientation! Time is going to crawl.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby glitched » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:53 pm

RJ127 wrote:Cannot wait for Orientation! Time is going to crawl.


really? i feel time is going to zoom.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:57 pm

law_monkey wrote:Haha I love how three of us answered that at the same time.

We're on top of things.

glitched wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Cannot wait for Orientation! Time is going to crawl.


really? i feel time is going to zoom.


I think it's gonna be here faster than I think.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:59 pm

glitched wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Cannot wait for Orientation! Time is going to crawl.


really? i feel time is going to zoom.


I'm sure in November we will all be temporarily over law school. But for now I'M EXCITED TOO!!!

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby pixytree » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:03 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
pixytree wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
pixytree wrote:has anyone gotten their NetID? Housing website said we would get it within a couple days of confirming our enrollment.

It took me about 10 days before I could retrieve it. Longer before they sent me an email with instructions.


how did you retrieve it? I confirmed enrollment two weeks ago and haven't gotten anything.

There are directions on the admitted student site. Under the submit deposit or whatever tab. Lemme know if you need better instructions since these ones aren't very good. (I'm on my phone)

Eta: beat me to it


Tried that, but I never got a University ID so it doesn't work. NYU just forgot about me lol

Did you all get your U ID's in an email or letter?

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby thecilent » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Use your SS

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:08 pm

pixytree wrote:
Tried that, but I never got a University ID so it doesn't work. NYU just forgot about me lol

Did you all get your U ID's in an email or letter?


I never got one either. I just followed the registration link since I was a first time user and it gave me my ID.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:09 pm

law_monkey wrote:
pixytree wrote:
Tried that, but I never got a University ID so it doesn't work. NYU just forgot about me lol

Did you all get your U ID's in an email or letter?


I never got one either. I just followed the registration link since I was a first time user and it gave me my ID.

thecilent wrote:Use your SS

That is the secret.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:12 pm

glitched wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Cannot wait for Orientation! Time is going to crawl.


really? i feel time is going to zoom.


Maybe working FT has messed me up. Clocks move backwards in the office.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby incompetentia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:14 pm

August will be here before we know it, I'd think.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:15 pm

I say we have a bar/lounge meet up if anyone would be down.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:17 pm

RJ127 wrote:I say we have a bar/lounge meet up if anyone would be down.


Yeah who's down for the LA get together? If I know who all wants to come/what days work best for people I'll plan one.

ETA: We should also have a pre-orientation TLS gathering in August once everyone gets out there too. :D
Last edited by law_monkey on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest