NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
BaiAilian2013

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:00 am

TLSNYC wrote: How late do people typically stay? If I'm going to be in the library till 11 PM regularly, I don't know if I'd be comfortable taking the subway that late in which case I'd need a closer place.
Do you live in / are you from New York? It probably depends where you're going to, but in my experience the people on the subway at 11 p.m. are kids out partying and workers going home. I've never really felt nervous, like I would in a bad neighborhood.

Lsathalon pretty much covered the housing issue, but just to add: as someone who lives off campus, I definitely don't make it back to campus for every social event. But I also wouldn't go to most of them if I did live in D'Ag. For the evening happenings that I actually want to attend, it's not a huge effort to come back to campus, and if I were single and liked loud bars, I could see myself doing it a lot more often. Alternately, I think what would usually happen is that I would just study on campus until the event began. (My one caution about doing this is that, unless your backpack/whatever smushes up a little, it may not fit in your locker. But you could always have a friend in D'Ag who would let you leave it there :D and some nights the coat check is open pretty late.) I think the only thing you definitely miss out on living off campus is whatever informal socializing goes on in the common spaces of the residence halls.

jaws

New

Post by jaws » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:33 am

I am ready to buy my plane ticket for the March 3 & 4 ASW, but wanted to make sure that these dates are firmly set. Has anyone heard these dates from official sources?

Thanks!

jaws

New

Post by jaws » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:34 pm

question answered

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Any idea on when we will see an admitted students website or when there will be scholarship notifications?

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:58 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote: How late do people typically stay? If I'm going to be in the library till 11 PM regularly, I don't know if I'd be comfortable taking the subway that late in which case I'd need a closer place.
Do you live in / are you from New York? It probably depends where you're going to, but in my experience the people on the subway at 11 p.m. are kids out partying and workers going home. I've never really felt nervous, like I would in a bad neighborhood.

Lsathalon pretty much covered the housing issue, but just to add: as someone who lives off campus, I definitely don't make it back to campus for every social event. But I also wouldn't go to most of them if I did live in D'Ag. For the evening happenings that I actually want to attend, it's not a huge effort to come back to campus, and if I were single and liked loud bars, I could see myself doing it a lot more often. Alternately, I think what would usually happen is that I would just study on campus until the event began. (My one caution about doing this is that, unless your backpack/whatever smushes up a little, it may not fit in your locker. But you could always have a friend in D'Ag who would let you leave it there :D and some nights the coat check is open pretty late.) I think the only thing you definitely miss out on living off campus is whatever informal socializing goes on in the common spaces of the residence halls.
I'm actually from Jersey, so I've only been up to NYC to visit from time to time. If you don't mind, another question: I noticed that you mentioned backpacks...how big a backpack do people generally need? I know it sounds like a ridiculous question, but I have a messenger bag right now that is relatively small. Are books usually huge?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:11 am

TLSNYC wrote:I'm actually from Jersey, so I've only been up to NYC to visit from time to time. If you don't mind, another question: I noticed that you mentioned backpacks...how big a backpack do people generally need? I know it sounds like a ridiculous question, but I have a messenger bag right now that is relatively small. Are books usually huge?
What I was told by my NYU tour guide was that a lot of students prefer to have their textbooks separated into multiple smaller copies so that they don't have to carry all of them around. Just a cool idea to keep in mind :)

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:56 pm

bleedblue wrote:Any idea on when we will see an admitted students website or when there will be scholarship notifications?
To answer this question: last year we saw it come up in late January with a password to access it.

Scholarship Notifications for named came in Mid to Late February depending on when you applied.

Not sure about unnamed...sorry. :(

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:58 pm

mst wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:I'm actually from Jersey, so I've only been up to NYC to visit from time to time. If you don't mind, another question: I noticed that you mentioned backpacks...how big a backpack do people generally need? I know it sounds like a ridiculous question, but I have a messenger bag right now that is relatively small. Are books usually huge?
What I was told by my NYU tour guide was that a lot of students prefer to have their textbooks separated into multiple smaller copies so that they don't have to carry all of them around. Just a cool idea to keep in mind :)
This is truth. To answer earlier question, books are huge...cut them up if you live off campus.

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:35 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
bleedblue wrote:Any idea on when we will see an admitted students website or when there will be scholarship notifications?
To answer this question: last year we saw it come up in late January with a password to access it.

Scholarship Notifications for named came in Mid to Late February depending on when you applied.

Not sure about unnamed...sorry. :(
Thanks for the info! Does that mean you got a named scholarship? Do you happen to know what stats are like for the IILJ or others?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Taaaag :)

I'll probably be going to the April ASW~

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:48 am

Anyone else just get the invite to the NYU Admitted Students event in DC on 2/24?

FlamingCow

Bronze

Post by FlamingCow » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:25 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:Anyone else just get the invite to the NYU Admitted Students event in DC on 2/24?
Got the email earlier today.

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:03 pm

Admitted students website just went live--got an email. Also got another email reminding me to apply for financial aid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:33 pm

~
Last edited by cruelestgame on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:38 pm

cruelestgame wrote:anyone have their deposit check and intent to enroll processed yet?
Nope. And I'm anxious to create my NYU e-mail too.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Sooo I figure I'll post this in here:

Here's the RSVP stuff for the NYU ASW (for TLS. obviously not official at all)

So here's the form for RSVPing:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewfor ... c6MQ#gid=0

& here's the spreadsheet with the summary:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CKCD__cP

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:53 pm

Why is everyone set on that one weekend??? Was there some kind of TLS NYU visitation club I wasn't invited to? :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:00 am

Well I'm doing it because it's later than most of the other ASWs I'm planning on attending, so I figure I'd rather spread it out. Dunno why it seems that every single TLSer is planning on that weekend...maybe there's a sekrit lolcat convention?

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:08 am

dulcatis wrote:Well I'm doing it because it's later than most of the other ASWs I'm planning on attending, so I figure I'd rather spread it out. Dunno why it seems that every single TLSer is planning on that weekend...maybe there's a sekrit lolcat convention?
--ImageRemoved--

awahoya

Bronze

Post by awahoya » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:48 am

arism87 wrote:
mst wrote:I still think the toughest decision I'll have is living alone vs living with 1 roommate. I feel like I'll get very lonely alone (only time I ever lived alone I was in a relationship the entire year and I was alone like 10% of the time, so I don't know how I'll fare with that + the sometimes overbearing pressure of NYC). On the other hand, it would be nice to be free to watch TV, have people over, be able to have overnight guests/family visit, etc. whenever I want, and not be subject to the whims of my roommate during finals. I guess I just have this nightmare that I'll move all the way to NYC and have absolutely no human contact outside of class-time. That, and if I have family visit a few times a semester (I have a big family who I'm sure will use this as an excuse to visit NYC frequently), the money saved via hotels for just a few nights will kind of outweigh the savings of living with a roommate... Obviously there's no straightforward answer but is anyone else really wondering about this?
Ugh. No roommate for me again, ever. I lived alone one year in college and then in college-extended (aka Teach for America-- where you have a built in social network) and I never feel lonely. I have lived surrounded by friends both times, and I'd imagine law school- or really any school- is the same way. It's a nice transition to "adulthood."

Then again, I might like a little more alone time than others..
I'm in a different version of "college extended" (the JET program), and it can get lonely, but that's mainly b/c we live rurally and generally pretty far apart from each other (and by "we" I mean the only Westerners in my area :) )...I can't imagine that having a single in a dorm w/common rooms, organized social events, etc. can be all that isolating...

Edit: Woops, sorry, didn't realized that I had linked to a page back...

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:18 pm

hey everyone!

I got accepted to NYU the other day!

hope to see everyone there

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:08 am

Do people make it work living on the UWS? Not too keen on leaving the neighborhood...

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Dayan114 wrote:Do people make it work living on the UWS? Not too keen on leaving the neighborhood...
That's totally workable in terms of trains, obviously, but I would be surprised if there were that many law students up there.

ela7117

New

Post by ela7117 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:25 pm

Has anyone tried to fill out NYU's institutional financial aid app? Already did Need Access/FAFSA, but NYU has its own unique app as well. I thought this was recently made available, per the email a few days ago, but I don't see any links on FAAPS (assuming that is where the app resides) to begin...

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:33 pm

~
Last edited by cruelestgame on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”