NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
thecilent

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by thecilent » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Got my hold removed (thanks spacepenguin). This is what the email said, just if anyone is interested:
Fin Aid Assistant wrote:The hold has been removed. The financial aid for 2011-2012 has not been finalized yet, you will receive an email in late July outlining the steps you need to complete to secure federal loans. The deadline to complete the loan application has been moved to August 15TH. All law school students have until the first day of class to clear their balance without penalty.
ETA: what an egregious comma splice nyu person
Last edited by thecilent on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:06 pm

getting close!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:28 pm

thecilent wrote: ETA: what an egregious comma splice nyu person
This is already going to be a crazy year.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:29 pm

incompetentia wrote:
thecilent wrote: ETA: what an egregious comma splice nyu person
This is already going to be a crazy year.
Roar roarrr

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 pm

incompetentia wrote:My car AC broke last week. It's glorious trying to drive home from work when the parking lot has not a single tree anywhere nearby (and the car is navy blue). Roll down the windows and it's still 95+ outside.
Drive home from work? What is this 'drive'? Now a packed subway car at rush hour--that's a heat wave delight.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:17 am

I could have sworn that they said loan information would be provided late June, then early July, and now it's 'late' July?

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:56 am

so anyone else get the email saying their award can now be accepted?

...too bad the site is all glitchy is doesn't work right. it gets stuck a lot and just flashes the word "processing" then other times it simply doesn't load.

i can't even tell if i've accepted since every time i hit submit it freezes

not very impressed with fin aid so far

(update) well maybe it's working now...still can't really tell lol

(update #2) perhaps it was just early morning glitches or something...seems to be alright

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:03 am

I got the email too, but when I went on to Albert, all it showed was my dean's grant - nothing about loans.

Cruelest: yours had stafford and plus loans available to accept?

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 am

yea it broke it down into stafford, unsub, and grad plus and i had to accept all three

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:18 am

Grr

slmc12

New

Post by slmc12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 am

I just got an email this morning saying my "financial awards were ready" and after a few tries I was able to get the site to work and accept my loans! It was all of them - direct and PLUS. I only completed the MPNs and everything like 2 days ago, so they must be starting to get everything going now for all of us. Hang in there guys!

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:01 am

Loans/grants everywhere!!!! Also, it seems that they increased the budget by $4000. I feel used.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:12 am

Anybody else looking at LRAP and worried about how much of the PLUS to authorize/accept?

I've been trying to call them to see if I can get some advice on this but I happen to work for the 6 hours that their phone lines are open :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:15 am

incompetentia wrote:Anybody else looking at LRAP and worried about how much of the PLUS to authorize/accept?

I've been trying to call them to see if I can get some advice on this but I happen to work for the 6 hours that their phone lines are open :lol:
it doesn't cover all of grad plus loans that you qualified for?

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:32 am

Incomp, I accepted the maximum amount and I'm definitely going to use LRAP. I assume that's fine. I don't think there's a ceiling on LRAP-eligible debt, aside from the obvious limit of the annual cost of attendance/tuition. You've got me worried enough that I'll call them today to confirm that, though.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:53 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:Incomp, I accepted the maximum amount and I'm definitely going to use LRAP. I assume that's fine. I don't think there's a ceiling on LRAP-eligible debt, aside from the obvious limit of the annual cost of attendance/tuition. You've got me worried enough that I'll call them today to confirm that, though.
thanks
<< also a lil worried

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:27 am

Am I the only one who was foolish enough to take less than the max in grad plus loans?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:49 am

slmc12 wrote:I only completed the MPNs and everything like 2 days ago, so they must be starting to get everything going now for all of us. Hang in there guys!
MPNs? Maybe I did these and forgot about them. I'm really, really great with paperwork (sarcasm). Which is why I'll be such an outstanding lawyer.

At any rate I got an email with a bright, shiny 74k total on it, so I think I'm all set?

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Incomp, I accepted the maximum amount and I'm definitely going to use LRAP. I assume that's fine. I don't think there's a ceiling on LRAP-eligible debt, aside from the obvious limit of the annual cost of attendance/tuition. You've got me worried enough that I'll call them today to confirm that, though.
if I remember correctly from the LRAP session at ASW and the award letter that was originally sent out through FAAPS, you are going to have a minimum "student contribution" (SC) of $5100 over three years, and the total LRAP-eligible debt is going to be the CoA for 3 years less this amount.

This number would have been specified in your award letter.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:15 pm

incompetentia wrote:
if I remember correctly from the LRAP session at ASW and the award letter that was originally sent out through FAAPS, you are going to have a minimum "student contribution" (SC) of $5100 over three years, and the total LRAP-eligible debt is going to be the CoA for 3 years less this amount.

I'm not familiar with the mechanics of LRAP and all this, but don't you just take the maximum amount, and then pay it back immediately if you have money left over? Or are you worried you're going to be DQ'd from LRAP altogether (this is where my lack of understanding of LRAP comes in)?

My understanding with grad school is you always borrow the maximum amount, because you can just send it back later on.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:17 pm

That would work, but these are unsubsidized loans (the PLUS loans), right? I just don't want to get into something where I end up owing some random extra interest outside of LRAP because of a technicality and then like not find out about it

</neurosis>

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:01 pm

You are wise, Incomp. I called FinAid and was told I should subtract my annual Student Contribution amount from my GradPLUS loan borrowing. This can be done on Albert, so I don't think there are negative consequences for opting to borrow the maximum amount on the Studentloans.gov site.

Apparently an email is going out this afternoon, though, which will have step-by-step instructions for accepting loans. I think the FinAid person said that would go out at 2:00 PM ET. I'm going to wait on that before I do anything else.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:03 pm

ahduth wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

I'm not familiar with the mechanics of LRAP and all this, but don't you just take the maximum amount, and then pay it back immediately if you have money left over? Or are you worried you're going to be DQ'd from LRAP altogether (this is where my lack of understanding of LRAP comes in)?

My understanding with grad school is you always borrow the maximum amount, because you can just send it back later on.
but grad plus loans accrue interest while we are in school. so shouldn't we send them back asap? these numbers really make my heart race - must.start.gunning.now..............

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:05 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:You are wise, Incomp. I called FinAid and was told I should subtract my annual Student Contribution amount from my GradPLUS loan borrowing. This can be done on Albert, so I don't think there are negative consequences for opting to borrow the maximum amount on the Studentloans.gov site.

Apparently an email is going out this afternoon, though, which will have step-by-step instructions for accepting loans. I think the FinAid person said that would go out at 2:00 PM ET. I'm going to wait on that before I do anything else.
I passed up the Epstein thing to get this information. Oh, the sacrifices I make for my country gunneriness

Thanks for clearing the Albert vs. studentloans thing, though.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:22 pm

spacepenguin wrote:Loans/grants everywhere!!!! Also, it seems that they increased the budget by $4000. I feel used.
Apparently tuition total cost rose $2000 a semester...
Last edited by booboo on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”