NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ahduth

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by ahduth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:06 pm

RJ127 wrote:
melamine wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
ahduth wrote: I dunno, I kind like the huge block of 9am classes. Plenty of time to study and whatever before the evening.
Yeah, the regularity is nice at least about the other section scheds. It just so happens that both of the profs I got to talk with for more than five minutes are also in Section 4, and I was really impressed with both of them.

Of course, that might mean that I'd do better off in another section :lol:
when are the schedules determined? and do we have any say, or is it just random assignment?
Random and they should come out sometime next month, I'd assume.
I'm assuming at orientation, but I'm an optimist. I don't want to know who's teaching this stuff any sooner than I need to.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Apparently the sections are determined randomly, and we will receive our section assignments during orientation.

TheKingintheNorth

Bronze

Post by TheKingintheNorth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Why does the office of financial aid need tax returns and W-2s anyway? I'm pretty sure we were all required to put that info on our NeedAccess apps. Are they just checking if we lied?

TheKingintheNorth

Bronze

Post by TheKingintheNorth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:05 pm

thecilent wrote:I kinda see these law classes like an RC passage: no outside knowledge is really going to help you; everything you need will be in the passage/class, so the playing field is pretty level when it comes to the BLL and whatnot. It's just a matter of who can write a better exam and get more points, and I doubt your experience is in writing exam answers
I agree with this, but im biased because I still struggle with the 8 god damn different uses of the word equity.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 am

Yo incomp (or anyone else), you still haven't gotten any loan paperwork yet, correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 am

thecilent wrote:Yo incomp (or anyone else), you still haven't gotten any loan paperwork yet, correct?
I sure haven't. Going out of town next week and definitely not expecting it until then.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:36 am

Word word

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:24 pm

TheKingintheNorth wrote:Why does the office of financial aid need tax returns and W-2s anyway? I'm pretty sure we were all required to put that info on our NeedAccess apps. Are they just checking if we lied?
Where did they ask for these? I have read over everything I've received from NYU, and nothing in it says that I need to submit W-2s. Can someone please explain this? Thanks!
[I'm beginning to notice that my posts often involve wondering why I'm behind or in the dark about something. This is not a good sign!]

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:28 pm

I forget where it says it, but I know 100% they asked for both the returns and W2 which is fckinhlg stupid. I'm still waiting for my mother to get her W2 back so I can send it in

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Lisi wrote:
TheKingintheNorth wrote:Why does the office of financial aid need tax returns and W-2s anyway? I'm pretty sure we were all required to put that info on our NeedAccess apps. Are they just checking if we lied?
Where did they ask for these? I have read over everything I've received from NYU, and nothing in it says that I need to submit W-2s. Can someone please explain this? Thanks!
[I'm beginning to notice that my posts often involve wondering why I'm behind or in the dark about something. This is not a good sign!]
Check your FAAPS portal. It should let you know what you need to submit. Calling financial aid directly is also a good move just to be safe.

TheKingintheNorth

Bronze

Post by TheKingintheNorth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Lisi wrote:
Apparently it was in "my award letter." I don't know if everyone has an award letter or if W-2s and Tax Returns only need to be sent in if you got some money. At first I just assumed the other people talking about tax returns in the thraed didn't do the NeedAccess application because all the info on the tax documents is there already. My FAAPS did say "Awaiting Tax Documents," but I never got an email explicitly requesting them, so I wrote FinAid just to be sure what to do. This was their response:

"Thank you for your email. It states on your award letter “IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT NYU SCHOOL OF LAW INSTITUTIONAL AID POLICIES
All awards are provisional and subject to change until all required documentation is received and reviewed by our office. Please submit your 2010
federal income tax forms (and all schedules), W-2s and those of your spouse and your parents by May 15.”Please send us the required documents as soon as possible."

I just sent them in and they didn't seem to be incredibly concerned that I was six weeks past deadline.

I have no idea why they need this info, and it's slightly bothering me. I'm pretty sure my award was merit-based, and the federal government recognizes me as an "Independent Student" so the feds don't care about my parents income when looking at me.

They're not gonna take away my money when they find out my parents make 200-300k a year, right? I'm pretty sure they already knew that anyway.
Last edited by TheKingintheNorth on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:26 pm

I called back in April or May, and they said that parents' returns are only required for those with need-based aid.

. . . although there's like a five percent chance I only dreamed that.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:00 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:I called back in April or May, and they said that parents' returns are only required for those with need-based aid.

. . . although there's like a five percent chance I only dreamed that.
Pretty sure they asked for my and my parent's 1040s along with the merit award. I'd call the very weary and frustrated sounding person at the finaid office.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheKingintheNorth

Bronze

Post by TheKingintheNorth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:05 pm

The document containing information on your award is nonspecific as to whether your award is need or merit-based. I assume my "Dean's Scholarship Award" is merit based considering my numbers, both financial (which is reported in the "My Application" tab of FAAPS) and GPA/LSAT, but who knows.

TheKingintheNorth

Bronze

Post by TheKingintheNorth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm

I also mustve been hammered when I applied for aid as well. In the "special circumstances" section I wrote a TL;DR essay that I don't remember writing about how my parents aren't giving me shit as if that wasn't a circumstance common to 90% of NYU law students.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:09 pm

So, the consensus is that we have no idea?

I sent in only 1040s from myself and all of my parents, and I went to "Returns Received" about a week and a half ago. I didn't see anything about W-2s.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:16 pm

TheKingintheNorth wrote:I also mustve been hammered when I applied for aid as well. In the "special circumstances" section I wrote a TL;DR essay that I don't remember writing about how my parents aren't giving me shit as if that wasn't a circumstance common to 90% of NYU law students.
Would have been awesome if you actualy put a tl;dr section at the bottom of it lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:20 pm

The answer I got from financial aid a few weeks ago was basically that you only need to submit the additional docs if you're getting some sort of "free money" (i.e. grants instead of beggaring loans), but that it applied to all grants whether need or merit.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 pm

incompetentia wrote:So, the consensus is that we have no idea?

I sent in only 1040s from myself and all of my parents, and I went to "Returns Received" about a week and a half ago. I didn't see anything about W-2s.
I formed a private consensus with myself awhile back and called them. And then emailed 1040s with supporting documentation.

It's really muggy here though... I could be having some sort of dehydration induced hallucination.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Admitted Student's Site wrote:IMPORTANT FINANCIAL AID PROCESSING DATES
January 1: FAFSA application is available at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov and the Need Access Financial Aid Application is available at http://www.needaccess.org

April 15: Deadline for completing the Need Access Financial Aid Application.

May 15: All recipients of institutional aid must submit federal income tax forms with applicable schedules and W-2s to the Law School’s Office of Student Financial Services. Awards are finalized upon receipt of tax returns and tuition deposits.

June: The loan application process begins. Entering and returning students will receive instructions on completing the federal and private loan application process.

July 31: The 2011-12 loan applications are due. Applications completed after this date may result in a delay of Fall semester loan disbursements.

August: Loans are disbursed (no early than 10 days prior to the beginning of classes) for students who applied in a timely manner. Most in-school deferments are processed electronically by the Registrar through the National Student Clearinghouse. If for some reason you need paper deferment forms processed for your lender, please submit your deferment forms to the Law School’s Office of Records and Registration (Furman Hall, Room 400).Refund checks are processed by the Bursar’s Office, and funds are directly deposited to student bank accounts or mailed to local addresses. This generally occurs during the first full week of classes or shortly thereafter. Make sure you are either signed up for direct deposit or that your local address information is up-to-date in ALBERT by logging into NYUHome.

September: Entering law school grant recipients receive final award statements after a review of all supporting documentation.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:04 pm

Discovery attorneys in NY make 130?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:03 am

Is there any possibility of getting a new housing assignment if our first one was busty?

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:20 pm

parsi wrote:Is there any possibility of getting a new housing assignment if our first one was busty?
Yeh. You mean if you hate your roommates or something?

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:43 am

shanemahsa wrote:
parsi wrote:Is there any possibility of getting a new housing assignment if our first one was busty?
I was thinking more along the lines of if I applied for a studio but ended up with a double instead... is there anyway to petition a different assignment?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:36 am

parsi wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of if I applied for a studio but ended up with a double instead... is there anyway to petition a different assignment?
You can tell them you don't want the double and only want to stay on waitlist for a studio (or any other particular apt). Then, if they have cancellations, you could get a spot - but that's really the only thing you can do. Lol what are you going to petition

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”