NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ahduth

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by ahduth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:06 pm

incompetentia wrote:I'm at Returns Received as well, although I sent mine in back in April.

The schedules are for 2011-2012 - all the data was taken off the course catalog on the NYU site.
They booted me to Returns Received, and I sent all my shit on June.... 1st. I think. Whatever the deadline was anyhow.

I dunno, I kind like the huge block of 9am classes. Plenty of time to study and whatever before the evening.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Decorate with stickers that made me lol

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:10 pm

ahduth wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I'm at Returns Received as well, although I sent mine in back in April.

The schedules are for 2011-2012 - all the data was taken off the course catalog on the NYU site.
They booted me to Returns Received, and I sent all my shit on June.... 1st. I think. Whatever the deadline was anyhow.
There was a deadline for that?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:55 pm

thecilent wrote:
ahduth wrote:

There was a deadline for that?
Pretty sure they wanted 1040s by June 1st.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:21 pm

ahduth wrote: I dunno, I kind like the huge block of 9am classes. Plenty of time to study and whatever before the evening.
Yeah, the regularity is nice at least about the other section scheds. It just so happens that both of the profs I got to talk with for more than five minutes are also in Section 4, and I was really impressed with both of them.

Of course, that might mean that I'd do better off in another section :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:47 pm

incompetentia wrote:
ahduth wrote: I dunno, I kind like the huge block of 9am classes. Plenty of time to study and whatever before the evening.
Yeah, the regularity is nice at least about the other section scheds. It just so happens that both of the profs I got to talk with for more than five minutes are also in Section 4, and I was really impressed with both of them.

Yeah, I looked over the various professors some and I just felt... none of these options are bad. Like, at all.

As far as electives, that's when you have to think about who you're studying under. Even for that, I'm personally assuming I'll just going to take corporations, under the presumption that my experience with corporate accounting will help me pad my GPA for OCI? edit: for my 1L elective.

2L, 3L... whole different ballgame. I'm trying to understand clinics better?

--LinkRemoved--)clinics/documents/documents/ecm_pro_068167.pdf

These are questions I should have asked before, but the options just looked better at NYU anyhow, so I didn't worry about it too much. Does everyone generally... take a clinic? There's plenty of other nifty classes out there:

https://its.law.nyu.edu/courses/description.cfm?id=9207

Right?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:05 pm

This may not even be the right thread, but this sounds insanely competitive:
Government Civil Litigation Clinic - Southern District of New York
Conducted with the cooperation of the Civil Division of the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern
District of New York
LW.11701/LW.11895
Professor Andrew W. Schilling
Open to 3L and 2L students
Maximum of 10 students
Fall and Spring semesters
5 credits*
No prerequisites or co-requisites**

Course Description
Up to ten students will be selected to participate in the Government Civil Litigation Clinic - SDNY, in the
Office of the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York in Manhattan, recognized nationally
as one of the finest law offices, public or private, in the country.
As described below, the clinic includes fieldwork and a two-hour seminar. Students are required to work
twelve to fifteen hours each week in the United States Attorney's Office. The seminar meets on Thursday
evenings from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the United States Attorney’s Office.

Work of the Civil Division
The work of the Civil Division offers perhaps the most challenging and diverse civil caseload of any law
office, public or private, in the United States. An Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Civil Division represents the
interests of the United States and its agencies at trial and on appeal in affirmative and defensive civil litigation
in the Southern District of New York. On the affirmative side, Civil Division Assistants not only investigate and
prosecute health care fraud, mortgage fraud, and labor racketeering cases, but also enforce the federal civil
rights laws, environmental laws, and tax laws. On the defensive side, Civil Division Assistants represent such
federal agency clients as the CIA, the FBI, the Department of Defense, and the Department of the Treasury,
often in cases that implicate the national security of the United States, raise complex issues of first impression,
and involve challenges to the constitutionality of federal statutes and regulations. Civil Assistants run their
cases from investigation through conclusion, handling all court appearances from initial conference, through
trial, and on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, performing legal work that
rivals that found in the nation’s premier law offices. The Civil Division generally does not require Assistants to
specialize, thus providing a civil practice that is extraordinary in its scope. Assistants in the Civil Division are
afforded the unique opportunity to represent the United States of America in some of the most important and
difficult matters, affirmative and defensive, that our legal system has to offer.

Fieldwork
Each student will be assigned to work with two Assistant United States Attorneys (AUSAs). This
arrangement permits continuity of assignments and familiarity with the cases of the AUSAs. Diversity of
assignments by AUSAs is encouraged, and will include not only traditional legal research, but also legal
drafting, participation in pre-trial discovery proceedings and trial preparation. Students will attend depositions,
court proceedings, settlement negotiations, trials, and appellate arguments.

The Seminar
Participants meet weekly for a two-hour evening seminar conducted at the United States Attorney's
Office. Through legal drafting assignments, in-class simulations, and class discussion, participants study the
substantive, stylistic and tactical considerations in the conduct of litigation as a mechanism for dispute
resolution. The seminar will also focus on the unique ethical issues that confront government lawyers in civil
cases.

Application Procedure
Interested students should immediately submit an application, transcript, résumé and writing sample (of
no more than ten pages) via CAMS, the online application system. There will be no interview, but students are
invited to contact the professor Andrew Schilling at andrew.schilling@usdoj.gov to discuss any questions
concerning the course.
Only 40 people out of 900 are going to get a shot at it. Although with Eastern it adds up to twice that I guess... still sounds like law review, but more fun and more useful.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm not looking forward to trying to figure out what classes I want to take (or, for that matter, clinics that I want to send out for) - with a double major in UG, my schedule was pretty much laid out for me all 8 semesters.

I don't even know which one of the 1L electives I'd want to have if I were looking at PI work. I'm going to be such a mess come course selection time :lol:

I think for biglaw, clinic vs. a semester of classes is a question with no wrong answer. So many choices either way

EDIT: Also, damn. Let me at it

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:25 pm

incompetentia wrote:EDIT: Also, damn. Let me at it
I think this is what you meant, but whatever... red meat. Give me coursework.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Just to make sure, we can take Writing whenever right? There are a billion Writing options. Some of them sound pretty neat.

https://its.law.nyu.edu/courses/description.cfm?id=8295

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:30 pm

Only two months to orientation. Time needs to hurry up already.

I think it can be at pretty much any time. I was going to get it done whenever I could.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Oh, I was entirely misreading this. I thought Property was automatic:

http://www.law.nyu.edu/academicservices ... /index.htm

And I have no idea whether Property, Income Taxation or something else would be more useful for someone who was basically looking to sue large corporations for sport.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:50 am

You two gunning is making me sick. Also ahduth I doubt your accounting experience will help you book an exam just because it's a corporations class

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Trust me, my wanting Section 4 is so that I can gun less

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:02 pm

I thought gunning was where you talked too much in class.

And come on... at the very least having done stuff like worked with the equity accounting for a multinational who was going public isn't going to hurt my understanding of corporate law. Although all that equity business is really driven by the overall corporate taxation situation... Maybe Income Taxation is more the ticket.

I dunno, after looking through some of the courses, I'm not positive I'd have to take Corporations anyhow; Securities Regulation seems like it might also fit the bill.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm

I kinda see these law classes like an RC passage: no outside knowledge is really going to help you; everything you need will be in the passage/class, so the playing field is pretty level when it comes to the BLL and whatnot. It's just a matter of who can write a better exam and get more points, and I doubt your experience is in writing exam answers

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:52 pm

thecilent wrote:I kinda see these law classes like an RC passage: no outside knowledge is really going to help you; everything you need will be in the passage/class, so the playing field is pretty level when it comes to the BLL and whatnot. It's just a matter of who can write a better exam and get more points, and I doubt your experience is in writing exam answers

well, a lot of people see the law classes differently. let them use a public forum to talk about their preparation if they want. i've certainly had to scroll through tons of stuff that i don't particularly enjoy reading on TLS. and besides, if gunning isn't going to make a lick of difference for their GPA, then there's nothing to worry about then. :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:02 pm

any quick suggestions for someone planning to head to NYC around July 1st, to find a place for the beginning of August?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:48 pm

melamine wrote:
thecilent wrote:I kinda see these law classes like an RC passage: no outside knowledge is really going to help you; everything you need will be in the passage/class, so the playing field is pretty level when it comes to the BLL and whatnot. It's just a matter of who can write a better exam and get more points, and I doubt your experience is in writing exam answers

well, a lot of people see the law classes differently. let them use a public forum to talk about their preparation if they want. i've certainly had to scroll through tons of stuff that i don't particularly enjoy reading on TLS. and besides, if gunning isn't going to make a lick of difference for their GPA, then there's nothing to worry about then. :P
I was told to take Corporations by a couple of friends of mine who are lawyers (corporate litigation). I'm an outlier - I've worked a bunch of places, I understand accounting, I've read lots of stuff about corporate organization because I'm a nerd. It's clear that a legal understanding of corporations has more to do with flow of liability between different parties than the flow of finances between different parties. But the two tend to intersect. I may take Income Taxation just because that seems more interesting.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:51 pm

I feel like Tax would be interesting from an academic point of view, but it likely has no relevance to PI. Probably will just end up taking con law

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:57 pm

incompetentia wrote:I feel like Tax would be interesting from an academic point of view, but it likely has no relevance to PI. Probably will just end up taking con law
Wouldn't the ability to generate tax beneficial structures be useful in PI? I'm not terribly clear on the definition of PI to be honest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:14 pm

melamine wrote:any quick suggestions for someone planning to head to NYC around July 1st, to find a place for the beginning of August?
It would be helpful to know how long you're going to be in town for, and what type of place you're looking for. If your trip is less than 2 weeks and you want a place by yourself, I'd suggest using a broker. If it's a longer amount of time or you're looking to get a room with roommates already in a space, Craigslist works well. There's also an off-campus housing registry.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 pm

melamine wrote:

what are you talking about. I don't care what people talk about on here. and who said anything about worrying

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:36 pm

incompetentia wrote:

when are the schedules determined? and do we have any say, or is it just random assignment?

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:44 pm

melamine wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

when are the schedules determined? and do we have any say, or is it just random assignment?
Random and they should come out sometime next month, I'd assume.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”